Ask the Barber

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

When someone ask you, "let me get a 1 or a 2", what does that really mean?

I usually ask for a 2
Size of the guard they want... 
A 1 Guard is = 1/8 of an inch.

A 2 Guard is = of a 1/4 of an inch.

So a 1 cuts less hair?
No, more.

Should i be worried if I go to a new spot and they finish off with a straight razor? Im talking about diseases and whatnot. Would it be a good idea to bring my own straight razor? I know higher end barber shops use new blades after every cut but i'm not trying to pay that $25+ for a single cut.

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Should i be worried if I go to a new spot and they finish off with a straight razor? Im talking about diseases and whatnot. Would it be a good idea to bring my own straight razor? I know higher end barber shops use new blades after every cut but i'm not trying to pay that $25+ for a single cut.

Those straight blades are like $3 for 100 blades.
laugh.gif
  It has nothing to do with being higher end and more about them being cheap. No way I would let someone use one of those on me.

Im pretty sure using a reg straight razor (Non disposable blades) is against the law because of diseases.

And for those asking about hairlines.  Most barbers are hacks, theyll keep pushing your hairline back.

Its pretty easy to give someone a straight/crisp line without going back a half inch. Especially if your hitting it with a straight razor afterwards.

When I cut someone, I ask them how they want their hairline. If their hairline is a little crazy and they say its okay to push it back a little to make a tight line ... Then I do it.

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I should b taking my masterbarber test in March. In the middle of trying to find a shop to work at now.

Im looking to open my own shop by the end of the year (if i pass my master test )

Queens/NY NTers will be hooked up

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

what part of queens?

My cut is dumb easy. If you cant do this just quit...lol

#1 all around. 

Originally Posted by Wade187

What would you recommend to trim my beard and line my hair up? Never really shaved or anything and honestly don't grow much facial hair but right now am rocking something like Miguel Cotto plus a mustache. Always waited til I go to the barber shop, but now that I'm leaving it all I'd like to keep it looking good. 

Andi's T-Outliner 2. 
Smaller blade, than the Andi's Outliner.

b7e279aa17de08ab528c7386f3a1d0b2.wix_mp
I can use this to bring my hair down to? I noticed he uses this to line it up and some type of red trimmer to bring it down

didn't see this thread, but what is the best clippers and liner combo on the market? I'm trying to look like diddy

If your getting bad haircuts from a barber , Either he doesn't like you, or your a pain in the... ! Barbers are everywhere .. find one you jel with or at least gives a good cut without you saying much . Most Barber want to give you a good cut and Want you to come back .

Price and tips ... depends . High price hair cut get bigger tips ... And cheap cuts get you little tip .

Originally Posted by Kramer

Why is it when I say "leave an inch on top" they cut it less then an inch? I mean an inch not whatever the barber thinks an inch is

'Cause an inch would be like saying give me a 6 on top. 
I think you want a 1 on top, which would be a 1/8 of an inch?

I want them to use the scissors though not clippers

Ohhh you want a shear cut, tell 'em a little off the top. 
I mean, he's just not understanding. 

No sense in being polite if you told him how much you wanted off top to begin with! 

That's on him fam',  tell 'em something! 

That Chandler cut in my book would be a, very low skin or 1 fade with natural or tapered sideburns and a nappy top .

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

how exactly do you "maintain" clippers? for example, you said "blade wash" but can you be more specific in terms of what you wash it with, do you use a cloth/cotton ball/ect.?

Blade Wash flushes out all the hair that get's trapped in between the blades so that they don't get clogged up. 
All you do is place the teeth of the blade while the clipper is running and it'll rinse out all the hair.

Doing this will also flush out all the oil, causing the blades to get really dry.

That's when you oil them again to lubricate them.

You can just use a towel to wipe it off, for the excess oil that drips out and blade wash. 

What do you place the clipper in when washing out the blade... regular water or those blade wash products that come in the spray can that you see when you type in "blade wash" in Google?  Some brands are from Oster and others are from Andis.

I use Oster Blade Wash, don't use water 'cause it'll rust the blades! 
They aren't spray's though, they're liquid that you pour into a container.

Tools - i have tried everything on the market . The Wahl 5 Star senior or the regular senior . The Oster 76 . Your not a Barber if You don't have this type of machine . Metal blades Cut cleaner and faster . For a outliner the andis t outlinner or the outliner . Everything else will not last and will not be able to hold up .

From what you've seen, do most barbers take pride in their work or do they just care about the money?

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Size of the guard they want... 
A 1 Guard is = 1/8 of an inch.

A 2 Guard is = of a 1/4 of an inch.

So a 1 cuts less hair?
No, more.

This is correct.
A 1 will cut a lot more hair.

This is how it goes...

1/2 = 1/16

1 = 1/8

2 =1/4

3 = 3/8

4 = 1/2

5 = 5/8

6 = 3/4

7 = 7/8 

8 = 1 

Guard = Leave hair X Amount of Inches

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I should b taking my masterbarber test in March. In the middle of trying to find a shop to work at now.

Im looking to open my own shop by the end of the year (if i pass my master test )

Queens/NY NTers will be hooked up

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

what part of queens?

My cut is dumb easy. If you cant do this just quit...lol

#1 all around. 

Most likely around Bayside / Whitestone since thats where I live. 

Barbers care . at least the ones i know . all barbers got a thing of who is the best . if a custmer comes back and complains we will bust his balls for days .

Have you ever heard of paying BEFORE your cut? When I came down to Houston I went to this barbershop and the people tried to make me pay before dude cut my hair? I was like
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

some people will throw down money first to say im hooking you up now your turn , but that don't work unless you know your barber . if you pull that crap on the first cut yer getting jacked !

Why is it when I say "leave an inch on top" they cut it less then an inch? I mean an inch not whatever the barber thinks an inch is

When they use scissors, each finger is about an inch. Thats the guide you use when using a scissor.

The only way to make it 100% even at an inch would be with the clippers.

Back
Top Bottom