Ask the Barber

Going to a new barber today since mine has been on vacation for 2 weeks. I'm thinning on top, but my barber knows how to cut it so it doesn't show too much. What's the best way to ask the the new barber to cut it to not accentuate it...cut with the grain?

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by MartianRefugee

Black%20Man%20Natural%20Hair%20Style,%20black.jpg

so i want my hair to look like that i mean texture and everything
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I'm noticing that black dudes wearing their hair "as it was meant to be worn" is starting to come back in style. Longer hair, more unkempt, etc.

can a black dude w/ "good hair" (I don't really believe in the term, but yall know what I mean)do something like this?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by HTXMade

How to taper my neck & sideburns effectively?
I wanna know this too, I find it hard to do on my own head, too much trouble holding a mirror and a set of clippers and trying to cut carefully at the same time

This! Its hard to do my sides bymyself without seeing the line to where I tapered it at
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CJ003

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I'm noticing that black dudes wearing their hair "as it was meant to be worn" is starting to come back in style. Longer hair, more unkempt, etc.

can a black dude w/ "good hair" (I don't really believe in the term, but yall know what I mean)do something like this?
nerd.gif
To everyone wanting this hairstyle, for one his hair texture and growth pattern is the reason he can get it like this!
Seeing how he has wild hairs it makes me believe he just let his hair grow out, and maybe picked or brushed it out.

If he would have went to a barbershop they would have free handed it, and knocked off those "Wild Hairs".

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

NT barbers, what are the clippers called that even/smooth all the hair out?

After the initial cut is done its used like a buffer if you will.

I hope this is making sense
laugh.gif

Im black btw
Smooth the hair? 
The clippers should do that... 

Some times barbers use certain clippers that don't knock off all the wild hairs.

They then come back with something slow cutting, but cut precise.
For example my Andi's Master's at times leave "Wild Hairs" then I come back with another pair of clippers and use my Wahl Seniors to go over spots my Master's left longer hair.

Originally Posted by k3stacks

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by HTXMade

How to taper my neck & sideburns effectively?
I wanna know this too, I find it hard to do on my own head, too much trouble holding a mirror and a set of clippers and trying to cut carefully at the same time

This! Its hard to do my sides bymyself without seeing the line to where I tapered it at
nerd.gif

Yeah, I get a lot of tapers too.
Best thing to do is let someone else cut it. 

I can do the sides, it's harder to get to the back... 

'Cause it takes a lot of feathering to taper. 

You cant have one term for all the cuts that are out there .. COMMUNICATE with your barber ... Tell him you want the nate . if he don't know who he is , get up and leave ... No but show him a pic of the cut . THEN FIND OUT WHAT HE CALLS THE CUT ..... PROBLEM SOLVED !

How long did it take you build clientele and how did you get clientele? And how much can you expect to pay rent for a chair in a shop?

If you seen a dude that was obviously wolfing for a minute, do you feel more pressure to cut with the grain to make sure his waves stay in tact?

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

laugh.gif

Im black btw
Smooth the hair? 

Some times barbers use certain clippers that don't knock off all the wild hairs.

For example my Andi's Master's at times leave "Wild Hairs" then I come back with another pair of clippers and use my Wahl Seniors to go over spots my Master's left longer hair.
so master's don't cut  as precise? I'm looking to buy either the master's or seniors for home use.

Originally Posted by I M LEGEND

laugh.gif

Im black btw
Smooth the hair? 

so master's don't cut  as precise? I'm looking to buy either the master's or seniors for home use.

The most precise clippers are the Oster 76

Any recommendations on some hair grease I want get something that makes my waves shine I been using carrot creme but CC doesnt give me that shine I am looking for.

laugh.gif

Im black btw

laugh.gif
I know what your talkin about bro its like a little hand held type of device and your head or face be straight smooth after..I don't know what it's called tho.

Originally Posted by mfoy23

Any recommendations on some hair grease I want get something that makes my waves shine I been using carrot creme but CC doesnt give me that shine I am looking for.
Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. Yes, the stuff you cook with. Gives you good shine and is healthier for your scalp than all of those petroleum based greases. Not as heavy.

Originally Posted by Iamchris

How long did it take you build clientele and how did you get clientele? And how much can you expect to pay rent for a chair in a shop?
The longer your at one spot the bigger you following will be . If your good and take of people word will get around , and the same if your not .

laugh.gif

Im black btw
Smooth the hair? 

So you go over your hole cut twice ? why not just do it once with the senior ... I use the andis master when i do a low skin fade or something that has to be exact ! I use the senior to go thru cuts faster . 
I also on times use the senior to take out the weight of the hair and use the andis master to fade . So with a 4 on top with a skin fade i would use the senior for the top and go over the sides then fade them with the master .

Originally Posted by BarberJay

Smooth the hair? 

So you go over your hole cut twice ? why not just do it once with the senior ... I use the andis master when i do a low skin fade or something that has to be exact ! I use the senior to go thru cuts faster . 
I also on times use the senior to take out the weight of the hair and use the andis master to fade . So with a 4 on top with a skin fade i would use the senior for the top and go over the sides then fade them with the master .
They do cut pretty good, but at the end you can see loose hairs and what not. 
Master's fading is way better than the Seniors IMO. 

You can hear the hair being cut with the Masters compared to the Seniors. 

Like I said, the Seniors are slower but cut smother and make sure to get those crazy hairs. 

To avoid all this just use some Oster Fast Feed's, Oster 76'ers, Oster Outlaws etc...

If you're just doing even all overs, or trimming your hair in between hairs cuts go with the Seniors. 

If you want to fade your own hair go with the Masters.

Each clipper does the same thing, they cut hair.

Yet, they have two different purposes. 

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

Smooth the hair? 

The most precise clippers are the Oster 76

While this is true, they cut shorter than a regular guard. 
The blades are just so expensive to get every blade is just 
eek.gif
 when you figure out how much you've spent.

Also, I don't recommend these on here 'cause dude's just want easy to do haircuts at home. 

I seen dudes leave more lines than notebook paper 'cause they don't know how to use the blades properly. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by mfoy23

Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. Yes, the stuff you cook with. Gives you good shine and is healthier for your scalp than all of those petroleum based greases. Not as heavy.
Oil Sheen? 
Olive%20Oil%20Spray%201-2%20pg.jpg

How do I maintain a 5 clock shadow all the time ? I'm guessing theres a specific electric shaver

Originally Posted by SoleFX

How do I maintain a 5 clock shadow all the time ? I'm guessing theres a specific electric shaver
Like a buzz look? 
When clients ask me for that I throw on my 1/16 guard about a .5 along with my Wahl Balding and go over their beard. 

To the dude who was looking for the natural fro look...I got braids and my hair is pretty long, when I take my hair out I usually just get a line up, I don't wash it until its time to get my hair braided again

When I was first growing it out I never combed it, just put coconut oil in it and got a line up with a taper, sort of like rudy gay and nate robinson except longer

Originally Posted by megatron

is it possible to get waves with straight hair???

I want dem waves

I won't say it's impossible, but it is gonna be really tough.

Back
Top Bottom