AT&T 3G Network Tops Verizon's- iPhone Blamed

att-iphone-question.jpg

A new study shows that - despite recent negative publicity and consumer ratings to the contrary - AT&T's 3G network actually has better performance than Verizon's. The tests, carried out by start-up performance monitoring company Root Wireless, were done using non-Apple smartphones, though, and a New York Times writer quotes a consultant who claims there are problems with the iPhone's wireless interface.

Root Wireless did testing of 3G network performance in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, San Francisco and Washington, DC, and its results were conclusive: AT&T's 3G downloads were faster thanVerizon, Sprint and T-Mobile's in each of those seven cities. Network World summarizes the results:

Quote:
[table][tr][td]Overall, AT&T's average 3G data speeds ranged from a low of 246Kbps in New York and a high of 428Kbps in Dallas. Verizon, meanwhile, had average 3G speeds ranging from 195Kbps in Seattle to 259Kbps in Chicago. The study also found that both carriers had comparably low rates of 3G connectivity failure, as each carrier's connection failure averaged between 1% and 3% for all seven cities. Sprint fared poorly in this particular category, as the carrier experienced data connection failures of 11% or higher in all seven markets.[/td] [/tr][/table]
The company has an app in beta testing right now that will allow smartphone users to log their performance and send it to Root Wireless for analysis. Because the iPhone OS doesn't allow access to the core functionality that the app uses to assess network throughput, iPhone users will have to self-report the data somehow.

A New York Times article, meanwhile, points a finger at the iPhone's hardware as a reason why performance on AT&T's network, especially in the major cities, is so bad. Roger Entner, senior vice president for telecommunications research at Nielsen, said theiPhone 's "air interface," the hardware and firmware in the phone that handle the connection to the 3G network, had problems that "affect both voice and data." He said - echoing a recent study that claimed iPhone users will defend their phone against all reason -that "the iPhone has the nimbus of infallibility, ergo, it's AT&T's fault."

AT&T has recently acknowledged that service in some major U.S. cities have been performing below standards and claim that they are making infrastructure improvements to deal with it. At no time has AT&T publicly blamed Apple for any issues. AT&T will never criticize Apple under any circumstances, Entner claimed.

John Gruber, who writes the Daring Fireball blog, points out some deficiencies in the New York Times article.

Quote:
[table][tr][td]If it's the iPhone's fault, not AT&T's, why aren't iPhone users around the world having the same problems as those here in the U.S.? How come iPhone carriers in Europe turned on tethering support as soon as iPhone OS 3.0 was released, and AT&T still, seven months later, has not? I've brought this up before and readers have argued that the U.S. is a far bigger country than those in Europe, so of course U.S. carriers have a harder job than those in Europe. But that argument doesn't make sense to me. It's not there's one single AT&T cell tower providing service for the whole country. When it comes to providing coverage for a large city like New York or London or Paris, what difference does it make how big the rest of the country is?[/td] [/tr][/table]
My own iPhone performs just fine in Boston, but horribly in San Francisco. It seemed a pretty obvious conclusion that San Francisco's network was overutilized. If Root Wireless's data are correct, though, and the networksin San Francisco and New York outperform Verizon's, it's within the realm of possibility that some issue with the iPhone 's air interface could be cropping up only in congestion conditions. We should wait to see better data, but it'd be ironic if - when exclusivity ends in the United States - a bunch of users jump ship on AT&T only to find that the network was never the problem after all.
source:http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/694548-t-3g-network-tops-verizons-iphone-blamed.html

both AT&T and iphone haters should go kick rocks now

Can't comment on Verizon but never had a problem with Sprint as for as connectivity goes and I have yet to encounter an issue with my iphone. I thoughtAT&T beefed up their network not too long ago to compensate for all the iphone users hogging up the bandwidth?
laugh.gif

hella handsome wrote:

You sound like a salty AT & T/ iPhone fan boy. Verizon's whole campaign is that they have better 3G coverage all throughout the U.S., notjust in the major metropolis areas. I was with Verizon years ago and never dropped a call, AT & T stays taking L's with all of the dropped calls andpatchy coverage.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

hella handsome wrote:
You sound like a salty AT & T/ iPhone fan boy. Verizon's whole campaign is that they have better 3G coverage all throughout the U.S., not just in the major metropolis areas. I was with Verizon years ago and never dropped a call, AT & T stays taking L's with all of the dropped calls and patchy coverage.

well of course i would take special interest in something i pay on every month.
it just seems like there are a lot of AT&T haters on NT so i posted this because for once we have hard evidence that AT&T's 3g coverage is in FACTbetter.
and why should i be salty? Verizons phone selection is sub par compared to AT&T's. the only reason why verizon has droid phones is because AT&T hasthe iphone, and we all know that.
verizon needed a phone to compete, so they took advantage of droids potential (which in fact, droid phones are amazing)
but we all know, AT&T would have snatched up the droid handsets, because AT&T already has HTC phones. it isn't that hard for companies to convertCDMA phones to GSM

and i had verizon before my move to AT&T, and verizon has dropped calls as well
smh.gif

ive never had sprint though.

AT&T 3G network might be faster but its not as extensive as verizon's 3G network.

ATTs coverage in cities is top notch. However, once you leave the city there coverage is *+@%#%. I get so many dropped calls when I'm at school becauseit's like 100 miles away from the closest major city.

big deal ... for every study that says one thing i could another one that says the opposite ... i've had sprint / t-mo and verizon ...

laugh.gif
^^ @ dude say this FACT ...

http://www.slate.com/id/2237676/

Great article about Verizon vs AT&T

Cliffs:

Cell phone coverage is like weather, it varies from day to day, hour to hour, and locale to locale
Neither companies can make gross generalizations ("we have coverage everywhere") about their network because it's all individual
Just because your phone works in your office, doesn't mean it works in your bedroom

Tips:
Try before you buy; take advantage of company's little-known 30 day opt out of contract provisions

Everybody knows ATT's 3G is faster.

And i've never had a problem with ATT's coverage and I travel often. Been with ATT for 6+ years and I can count on one hand the number of dropped callsI've had. My only gripe with ATT is how expensive it is.

Originally Posted by LeroyTheGreat38

If it's the iPhone's fault, then why aren't the non US customers complaining?
Because compared with cell networks in foregin countries, coverage in the US is slower and more prone to error.

You ARE aware that Verizons claim is in regards to ATT 3g coverage, not speed, performance, or smart phone selection, or the ability to talk and surf the net(which is an advantage of ANY gsm network). If you look at your phone, its using switching back and forth between 3g and EDGE more often than it should.

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

And i've never had a problem with ATT's coverage and I travel often. Been with ATT for 6+ years and I can count on one hand the number of dropped calls I've had.
You should contact The Guinness book of World Records, because nobody in the world can lay claim to that statement but you
roll.gif

i've been with at&t for 5 1/2 and had less than 10 dropped calls. i've lived in illinois, minnesota, florida, and arizona in that time. i willroutinely have service when friends with t-mobile and sprint won't. verizon does seem to be a little better, though.

Well the average user doesn't know this. All they see are the better Verizon commercials showing their 3G is better than AT&Ts.

Keep up the great Luke Wilson commercials AT&T.

Originally Posted by champ305

You ARE aware that Verizons claim is in regards to ATT 3g coverage, not speed, performance, or smart phone selection, or the ability to talk and surf the net (which is an advantage of ANY gsm network). If you look at your phone, its using switching back and forth between 3g and EDGE more often than it should.
finally some one figured out the point of verzion's commercials. verzion clams to have the biggest 3g coverage and service,but AT&T firesback with a commercials about

phone coverage
indifferent.gif
. the map AT&T shows for their 3G coverage onTV is their 2G coverage map you can check their site for that
laugh.gif

I was with AT&T from June until December I had to cancel I could not take it anymore I didn't even get service in my own house I thought about takingmy iPhone to T-Mobile but their service isn't great either

Back
Top Bottom