Basement Apartments: Yay or Nay?

balloonoboy

Banned
9,784
481
Joined Nov 13, 2009
In my ongoing quest to find just the right comfy, convenient abode, I've lately been considering a basement apartment. Have you ever or do you currently reside in one? What are the pros and cons?

I'm looking into some in the DC area.
 
269
10
Joined Mar 25, 2010
my friend lives in a basement apartment and always find rodents like mice running around. I say, don't do it. Why not renting a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 of your friends?
 

baltimore

Banned
793
11
Joined Apr 5, 2010
Originally Posted by PassMeTheSoySauce

my friend lives in a basement apartment and always find rodents like mice running around. I say, don't do it. Why not renting a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 of your friends?
Yea and you can have water problems and it will smell like mildew. Thats a good idea get some roommates it may even be cheaper then the basement
 
18,299
1,006
Joined Apr 1, 2009
nice avy Amos Lee is really good.
but yeah basement apartments aren't really the best of options
 

im not you

Banned
7,863
11
Joined May 29, 2009
I know a bunch of people in NICE areas of DC with basement apartments...and they all have had rats. It's inevitable.
 

baltimore

Banned
793
11
Joined Apr 5, 2010
Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

...why not go look at it first?
I don't want to have to deal with rodents or any creeping things, especially being in the basement.

Also, it just seems awkward living underground. If nothing else comes along, looking at a few 1BR and studios, I'll consider it. It won't be a first or second option.

And yes, Amos Lee is amazing.
Yea you may see it and see no problems but in a month or so you may regret it. Good luck on finding a nice 1br or studio.
 

balloonoboy

Banned
9,784
481
Joined Nov 13, 2009
Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

...why not go look at it first?
I don't want to have to deal with rodents or any creeping things, especially being in the basement.

Also, it just seems awkward living underground. If nothing else comes along, looking at a few 1BR and studios, I'll consider it. It won't be a first or second option.

And yes, Amos Lee is amazing.
 
21,946
1,370
Joined Jan 12, 2003
Whatever works they are usually cheaper and seperate entrances are good.

Go look at it, some are usually hooked up nice (no rodents if the fams above are clean).
 

baltimore

Banned
793
11
Joined Apr 5, 2010
Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Whatever works they are usually cheaper and seperate entrances are good.

Go look at it, some are usually hooked up nice (no rodents if the fams above are clean).
That and my boy lived in a basement in high school and some field mouses would get in and sprayed foam sealant  around the border and cracks and he never had any more problems.
 
2,670
10
Joined Nov 28, 2009
Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by J23S

Never heard of these, any pics?
You've never heard of an apartment in a basement before?
Sure I've heard of people turning them into rooms but as far as full fledged apt never came across that
 
8,635
220
Joined Jun 21, 2009
If you're looking into a Basedment Apartment then you're all good. It'll be real peaceful and you'll be able to discover aspects of your life that once seemed far too daunting to do.
 

balloonoboy

Banned
9,784
481
Joined Nov 13, 2009
Originally Posted by J23S

Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by J23S

Never heard of these, any pics?
You've never heard of an apartment in a basement before?
Sure I've heard of people turning them into rooms but as far as full fledged apt never came across that


I will go look at a few, but I will def. not voluntarily put myself in a predicament where I'll have to deal with rodents.
 
1,476
75
Joined May 7, 2007
try outside of dc like silver spring, bethesda, alexandria, fairfax, etc. with the exception of bethesda they all have much better prices for much bigger space. i lived in a basement apartment in silver spring and never had a problem with rats or anything.
 
8,357
1,472
Joined Jul 20, 2002
Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

If you're looking into a Basedment Apartment then you're all good. It'll be real peaceful and you'll be able to discover aspects of your life that once seemed far too daunting to do.
 

balloonoboy

Banned
9,784
481
Joined Nov 13, 2009
Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

try outside of dc like silver spring, bethesda, alexandria, fairfax, etc. with the exception of bethesda they all have much better prices for much bigger space. i lived in a basement apartment in silver spring and never had a problem with rats or anything.
Thanks. I'll do that.

For some reason, I've been trying to live in DC. Lived in MD my whole life, but I work in DC and I guess it'll make the commute better.

Prices are no joke though.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
 
3,380
10
Joined Nov 15, 2001
Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

try outside of dc like silver spring, bethesda, alexandria, fairfax, etc. with the exception of bethesda they all have much better prices for much bigger space. i lived in a basement apartment in silver spring and never had a problem with rats or anything.
same, there are pros and cons

i loved waking up in the summer or chilling in basement, always cold

hated waking up all congested

hated landlord or whoever was upstairs had to come downstairs to use the washer & dryer, when I was chiefing... hit them with the..
*burns incense* move

loved having a separate entrance

I had a 1 bedroom + Den ( it was a 2 bedroom joint to be honest where my friends would sleep on , watch tv etc ) kitchen, eating area and private bath.


folks upstairs moved out because landlord wanted more rent, i moved out shortly too because of same deal.



that was in aspenhill /silver spring area ( ahill all day
)

but i currently live in rockville.
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now