Basketball Reviews

We got plenty of reviews and requests on shoes, so I thought I'd take a different angle and open up some discussion on what actual basketballs people likeand dislike. Maybe we can get this stickied. It's something easily overlooked, but I think the quality of basketball does make a difference. There'sa similar thread on that "other" forum, but if you've seen it, it's mostly people boosting their post count. I had some spare time, so Ithought I'd put together a short review on my favorite basketball.

Anyway, if you are going to post, try to list the brand name and model, for instance, Nike 3005.

Here's one of my favorites with pics:

Nike 4005 Tournament Ball
Retail $60 (I certainly didn't pay that)

929251aef7e31b586610809129a7dd66e15fc5b.jpg

I haven't seen this ball being used by colleges or high schools very much, maybe only once if I think about it. It probably has to do with thenon-traditional, but very effective "Wrap-Around" panel design (patent pending according to Nike).

30335c8bed88e39cb12f6a1407f9b9ecc87c0ab.jpg

Now, non-traditional look aside, the first thing that drew me to this ball was the feel of the surface. To me, the only ball that is superior in terms of feelis a broken-in official NBA Game Ball. Well, the Molten International Game Balls are nice too, but I haven't seen one in stores here. Both of those arein the high price range, where the 4005 falls closer to what I think is the standard, the Spalding TF-1000. I like the Spalding TF-1000 and TF-1500, which areprobably the most popular overall basketballs available, but I think the 4005 tops those.

Like the TF-1000, it's good to go right away, no break-in required. I won't quote Nike's tech. specs on it, I'll just keep it simple and saythat it has a grippy surface, with just the right amount of softness blended with texture. This is where I think it is superior to the TF-1000, which to mefeels almost sticky. That's not necessarily bad, but to me, the 4005 feels more natural, almost as if the TF-1000 has a glazed sort of look and feel toit, while the 4005 really closely emulates that feeling of a broken-in NBA Game Ball. By the way, if you haven't seen a brand new NBA Game Ball, thosethings can feel like a big rock (no pun intended) at first. Another important quality are the seams, you can tell whether a ball is kind of cheap by the feelof the seams. This ball is seamless, the rubber dividers are all very smooth, leading to just a great, unbroken overall feel.

So, how does it affect handling, shooting and passing?

First, like I stated before, the quality of the ball does matter to me. I think a ball would have to be really badfor it to detrimentally affect my game though. I'm talking about a $5 ball from Walmart that's lopsided from the get-go. We've all seen peopleplay poorly and say "It's that damn ball". But the thing is, playing ball requires adjustments, and everybody will be playing with the sameball. I also think that when it gets to a certain price point, the differences between basketballs become minute. For instance, the difference between aTF-1000 vs. a generic Target bball would be great, but the difference between a TF-1000 and the Nike 4005, not so much. But there are slight differencesnonetheless.

From my perspective, the 4005 really shines through in shooting. Obviously, the feel of the ball will affect dribbling and passing, and this one is a joy tohandle. But I think the whole reason for the new panel, which is very similar to the short lived "updated" NBA ball (which has since been retired,nice try Stern), is to put the ball into a comfortable shooting position at a more efficient rate. Hopefully, those panels are more environmentally friendly,seeing as how they look like they reduce waste because of the symmetrical design. Anyway, I like my fingertips to line up at one of the rubber dividers asmuch as possible. The design makes it easier for me to do so, and eliminates that area on both sides of the ball where all of those rubber dividers converge. I'm no Ray Allen and I probably couldn't even hack it in a rec. league, but I do play enough to notice and appreciate this overall design.

The ball certainly isn't perfect, I don't have any complaints, but I know people who didn't like it because of the panels. They were the exceptionrather than the rule. I also have the Nike 3005 ball, which is essentially the same ball with the regular, traditional design (no wrap-around panel). It's also got the same great feel and surface, to be accurate, the 3005 is probably the Nike equivalent of the TF-1000 in terms of price and quality. Butif you can find the 4005 for a good price, don't be reluctant to give it a shot.

Interesting review, thanks!

I absolutely love the TF1000. I have used it a few times and the feel and everything else about it is just AWESOME.

i grew up using spalding bballs and i've always like the Spalding Zi/O Excel Indoor/Outdoor Basketball.

szioebbug2.jpg

i enjoy playing with a traditional 6 panel bball and the feel of this ball in particular hits the spot for me. it's not too soft or too firm and it feelssticky without that rubber feel. i still have mine from well over 5 years of use, indoors and out, and i still love it.

got one of them nike wraparounds, except mine is 2000 competition..there even a difference? but ya i like it, NICE REVIEW!
however, i personally love the evolution game balls! definitely my favourite ball to ball in

truth about the evolutions.
i coached last year as an assistant for the freshman team at my old hs after graduating
and i still run workouts with players from any level in the program and always tend to take 1 or 2 home
hahamake sure i have my stash of Evos to play with ya know.

Thanks for the replies.

I have some experience with the Evolution too, but I prefer other choices.

It's a solid ball, Wilson's standard for basketballs in that price point. I'd definitely take them for free any time though.

There was a pretty post a few years ago that i contributed a huge review to. Basically I really like the Wilson Evolution and a broken in Spalding NBA GameBall. For me the Nike balls are ok ( I use an old 2000 outdoors)and I did own a 3005, but they dont feel as natural to me. I have owned a few Wilson Solutionsand they are almost too spongy and soft. I think the Evolution is just soft enough. I have owned 4 NBA Game Balls ( 3 original style, 1 composite) and honestlythey bounce perfect , hold air the best, etc. If you play a lot indoors its worth the investment. I have not tried the newer design and I think the leatherthey use is a little different . At least they are more orange in color, maybe just dyed.

I bought 2 composite NBA game balls, and I used one so far, and it is a peice of crap. It wore down so fast, within a month of using it 2-3 times a week it hadbecome so slippery. Grip was gone, and it felt kinda funny. I was wondering, is it possible to return a ball to spalding, or exchange it for one of the leatherballs, because I have a composite that is brand new, never been bounced, but I dont want it, and the store I got it from is 6 hours away.

I know right after the NBA went back to the leather ball Spalding was buying back the composites for like $ 75 each. Dont know if they still offer that. Maybeemail them?

Also depends on where you're playing obviously.

I NEVER dribble what I term my "indoor" basketballs outside. I have one basketball designated for all surfaces, and I keep my indoor balls for thegyms I play at.

Thanks a lot for the review. Just wondering if you could elaborate a bit on durability (and of course how long you've had it)?

I have had a Nike outdoor ball (I think 500 it was) and although I knew it was a crappy ball going in, initial performance was on par with other Spaldingoutdoor balls that were of similar price range. However, things quickly went down hill once I started playing with it. After the inital 10 (15 max), the Nike500 would pick up lots of dirt (as would any other ball if played outdoors no doubt) but performance would degrade geometrically as opposed to Spalding balls. It was to the point where I had to literally make myself a chucker in order to get a shot off because I couldn't put any rotation into my shot due to ahuge loss in grip. At the same time, durability was a huge issue. By the 10th time I've played with it, the surface was breaking down (and at a prettyfast rate) and soon after that, the ball was shot. I was so glad to get rid of it when it started cracking and got a Spalding Never Flat. So far I'vebeen pretty happy with it.

That's why although I'm intrigued by your review, I am still somewhat skeptical about a Nike ball so perhaps if you could shed some light to thisissue, that would be great.

Also, currently, I have a TF-1000 in addition to the Zi/O Never Flat and Spalding has made me a believer out of the Zi/O and ZK material. I absolutely love myTF-1000 and although I definitely would agree on the "extra-grippy" feel when the ball is new, once it breaks in a bit, the TF-1000 would maintain anextraordinarily consistent level of performance. Too bad I never could find out how long a TF-1000 can last because someone stole my 4 year-old TF-1000 beforeI got a replacement.

The Zi/O Never-flat is a pretty nice ball. A lot of people just couldn't get used to the sound it makes when it bounces off of the surface you'replaying on but personally I don't mind it much (it is a bit loud IMO and has a somewhat metallic *+%@* whenever it is bounced). Performance wise, it isprobably as grippy as a outdoor ball can get so I have no problem putting rotation into my shots as dirt management is superb for an outdoor ball IMO. Theball is labelled as an indoor/outdoor ball and I truly feel it will perform equally well indoor and it's ball I wouldn't hesitate playing with indoors(although for dedicated indoor use, I'd still go with TF-1000 or Zi/O Excel). Along with the Zi/O Excel, the Zi/O Never-flat is a worthy 2nd-tier ball toTF-1000. I've had the ball for about 3 months so so far there hasn't been any degradation in performance so I can't really comment on durabilityas of yet.

I've since had the chance to use the ZK/Pro TF-1000 and I feel that ball has sacrificed some of the strengths of the original TF-1000 for some extradurability as I find the surface too hard and a bit on the slippery side, which I believe was done deliberately. However, the less grippy surface wouldadversely impact my shooting (probably wouldn't affect the real good shooters out there) but I still prefer the OG TF-1000.

"Also, currently, I have a TF-1000 in addition to the Zi/O Never Flat and Spalding has made me a believer out of the Zi/O and ZK material. I absolutelylove my TF-1000 and although I definitely would agree on the "extra-grippy" feel when the ball is new, once it breaks in a bit, the TF-1000 wouldmaintain an extraordinarily consistent level of performance. Too bad I never could find out how long a TF-1000 can last because someone stole my 4 year-oldTF-1000 before I got a replacement."

That probably says a lot about the durability of the TF-1000. I've seen some older TF's and they were still very usable and good to play with.

My 4005 is just sitting there, because the gym I go to, guys bring their TF-1000's and if we play outdoor, we use other balls. So I don't really playwith it at all, considering the situation. I will say that it's not holding air like it should, it doesn't exactly go flat or anything, but it has lostsome air from the lack of use. In terms of durability, I'm not too sure, because I would only use it indoors, so it should last a while.

I wouldn't mess with any Nike ball under the 2000 ball price range. They have some weird ones too, with strange synthetic materials. Maybe moreenvironmentally friendly, but I don't know how they would play. The 500 you mentioned just looks and felt cheap to me, and your experience sounds aboutright. They do have some higher tier outdoor balls, but I haven't touched them. I would go with other brands for an indoor-outdoor ball, I would only get a2000, 3005 or 4005 for indoor use.

"The Zi/O Never-flat is a pretty nice ball. A lot of people just couldn't get used to the sound it makes when it bounces off of the surface you'replaying on but personally I don't mind it much (it is a bit loud IMO and has a somewhat metallic *+%@* whenever it is bounced). Performance wise, it isprobably as grippy as a outdoor ball can get so I have no problem putting rotation into my shots as dirt management is superb for an outdoor ball IMO. The ballis labelled as an indoor/outdoor ball and I truly feel it will perform equally well indoor and it's ball I wouldn't hesitate playing with indoors(although for dedicated indoor use, I'd still go with TF-1000 or Zi/O Excel). Along with the Zi/O Excel, the Zi/O Never-flat is a worthy 2nd-tier ball toTF-1000. I've had the ball for about 3 months so so far there hasn't been any degradation in performance so I can't really comment on durability asof yet."

I agree, that's a good description for the sound it makes. But it's a solid all around ball, and sometimes you just need one that is great for outdoorplay and will last. And I also prefer the TF-1000 to the Pro. I think they're the same price too, but the Pro felt a little strange.

I had a chance to shoot a bit with the Wilson Wave, which intrigued me when I first saw it in stores. I hate to judge so quickly, but I didn't like it onebit. I only shot for a little bit, but it felt so different leaving the fingers, it was awkward to shoot with. That would obviously pass with time andpractice, but few people would be willing to stick with a basketball that's not ready to go "fresh out of the box".

wow tooo much text in here....lol

for now i use the wilson ncaa balls from costco for outdoor but its old now.... ive been through like 8 ballls in the past year, i want one that will last foroutdoors.... any suggestions?

i've been using the spalding never flat and it has been holding up pretty well i would honestly use it for indoor purposes only my ball wore down so fastonce i started to use it outside. The whole never flat system works really well the ball has stayed inflated for the whole time i've been using it and ihave never had trouble with it deflating

Personally I like playing with Evolutions. Ive had mine for almost a year now and its worn down but still has great grip and feel to it. Orerall very durableball. but they are indoor balls only.

Originally Posted by Kid LeBron

wow tooo much text in here....lol

for now i use the wilson ncaa balls from costco for outdoor but its old now.... ive been through like 8 ballls in the past year, i want one that will last for outdoors.... any suggestions?
Looks like the Spalding Zi/O Excel Indoor/Outdoor Basketball and the Neverflat are good choices based on the responses here.

It really depends on personal preference too. I have a ball that's worn pretty smooth, it's still grippy bit it feels really smooth, almost slippery. Some people really like it, but I don't like it so much.

For playing outdoor I've always been using the Spalding NBA Indoor/Outdoor ball. Lately I found good indoor courts to play at, and I've been using theMolten GF7 ball. I really like the feel of the ball, very nice grip. However Molten balls in general bounce slightly higher than Spalding balls, so I had toget used to the bounce for a while.

I also like the Spalding NBA Game Ball... it's got the perfect bounce (for me), very nice feel... I like the feel of worn-in leather balls. It'sinteresting how the NBA Game Ball gets grippier as you sweat. Some composite leather balls become slippery when you hands are sweating.

Originally Posted by Ives3789

For playing outdoor I've always been using the Spalding NBA Indoor/Outdoor ball. Lately I found good indoor courts to play at, and I've been using the Molten GF7 ball. I really like the feel of the ball, very nice grip. However Molten balls in general bounce slightly higher than Spalding balls, so I had to get used to the bounce for a while.

I also like the Spalding NBA Game Ball... it's got the perfect bounce (for me), very nice feel... I like the feel of worn-in leather balls. It's interesting how the NBA Game Ball gets grippier as you sweat. Some composite leather balls become slippery when you hands are sweating.
Yep. ANd the NBA balls are shiny as hell, it's like car paint how it bling blings. But it takes far too long to wear in where everyone willwant to use it, so I ended up buying them then rebaying them like 4 times. I might just get another one again and keep it. The fact it's too slippery foreveryone else probably means less of a chance I have to worry about people stealing it.

It looks like it's an old fashioned ball, but that new Jordan brand ball they have at Champs has a nice feel.

I have this, and people love it. In fact, I have to keep an eye out because dudes be trying to steal it
mg-4000-pc-nf_med.jpg

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Originally Posted by Ives3789

For playing outdoor I've always been using the Spalding NBA Indoor/Outdoor ball. Lately I found good indoor courts to play at, and I've been using the Molten GF7 ball. I really like the feel of the ball, very nice grip. However Molten balls in general bounce slightly higher than Spalding balls, so I had to get used to the bounce for a while.

I also like the Spalding NBA Game Ball... it's got the perfect bounce (for me), very nice feel... I like the feel of worn-in leather balls. It's interesting how the NBA Game Ball gets grippier as you sweat. Some composite leather balls become slippery when you hands are sweating.
Yep. ANd the NBA balls are shiny as hell, it's like car paint how it bling blings. But it takes far too long to wear in where everyone will want to use it, so I ended up buying them then rebaying them like 4 times. I might just get another one again and keep it. The fact it's too slippery for everyone else probably means less of a chance I have to worry about people stealing it.

It looks like it's an old fashioned ball, but that new Jordan brand ball they have at Champs has a nice feel.

I have this, and people love it. In fact, I have to keep an eye out because dudes be trying to steal it
mg-4000-pc-nf_med.jpg
How does The Rock compare to the Wilson Solution? I'm thinking about getting a new ball and was thinking about getting either the Rock or theSolution. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by cbfpunch

i grew up using spalding bballs and i've always like the Spalding Zi/O Excel Indoor/Outdoor Basketball.

szioebbug2.jpg

i enjoy playing with a traditional 6 panel bball and the feel of this ball in particular hits the spot for me. it's not too soft or too firm and it feels sticky without that rubber feel. i still have mine from well over 5 years of use, indoors and out, and i still love it.

i just got this recently for outdoor. it has very deep channel design so it will last a long time. by the way how often do you use this ball. about The Rockbasketball - my friend has one and said its a rip-off you can buy other ball out there for cheaper. although its a very nice ball to play with and i believevery durable for outdoor and sick name/logo.

^ i use it at least twice a week, usually 3 times a week, 4 if i don't have any work to do. i play indoors 9/10 times now. just played outdoors with mineyday and i try to make it a point to clean it after every use. still holds up great, feels nice. may not be as grippy as it used to be but me and my friendsstill use this when we have our games. one my my boys calls it the game ball. nice thing is that i know what he's talking about.

dsc040652rn8.jpg

sorry for the poor lighting.

I, honestly, hated the Spalding TF 1000's until the ZK Pros came out. Before that I used the Wilson Solution a lot. I never play outdoors, so I don'thave much of an opinion there. In both the Spalding and Wilson's case, they always feel better after a couple months of use.

My most hated ball ever is the Rawlings 10-panel truth. We bought a couple of these (men's and women's) when my wife played NJCAA ball and it neverfelt right. Funny thing was-during her freshman year they played the whole season with a regular 8-panel ball and when they went to Nationals they had to usethe 10-panel. She said that the first game with it was weird. The ball felt a little lighter and bounced different. It threw all of their shots off.

at cbfpunch - just wondering how do you clean the ball after every use?

also this is a question about all basketballs in general. i noticed on the ball it says "inflate to 7-9 lbs" but how do you know when it is pumped upenough because i dont want it to be too flat or too hard. i want it to be just like official nba ball. is there like an official guide that i can refer to?like what is the pressure (PSI) that will make the ball "inflate to 7-9 lbs"

Back
Top Bottom