Baton Rouge - 3 police killed, 7 shot

Police killing citizens.

Citizens killing police.

Extremist rhetoric from politicians.

Military Coup attempts.

Terrorists running over 80 people and bombing airports.

This past month has just been too much. I understand the world is a chaotic place, but man this path we are heading down isn't sustainable. I don't have the answers, but I hope we can figure things out soon. 

my emotions are all over the place right now. 

overall this just makes me sad.

i never encouraged it but on one hand I kind of wanted people to to start fighting back... now that we are here i get no satisfaction from this but at the same time i can't be mad at these people.  Everyone person of color i know has had some instance of being treated wrongly by the police.

in the end it seems there is no light at the end of this tunnel  

hopelessness is what i feel. 

I wonder if the 2 shooters still on the loose will disappear from all conversation just like the 2 dallas snipers. **** is ridiculous, its a set up.
True. They're going to really use these shootings to justify the Killing of more citizens.

Police killing citizens.
Citizens killing police.
Military Coup attempts.

This past month has just been too much. I understand the world is a chaotic place, but man this path we are heading down isn't sustainable. I don't have the answers, but I hope we can figure things out soon. 
This is nothing new.

just over heard a witness on cnn say the police werent the first target of the shooter

Exactly.

I'm not trying to have any type of interaction with police at all in the current climate.

What current climate????
They been on edge with us young black males since this countries beginning.

What else is new?
Sucks what happened but why should we fear police interactions anymore now than before???

They are human and can obviously bleed just like I.
I be damned if a police in my home country ever causes me to fear them at this point in my life.

This ain't gettin no play in Dallas.
Keep checking the local stations for coverage, but they obviously feel that PGA golf and roadside assistance infomercials are more important.

It is looking like this isn't another Dallas, rumor is the shooting started before the cops showed up

My brother lives in BR. Gotta hit him up.

EDIT:

Just got off the phone. One of his in-laws is a high ranking law enforcement officer. Don't wanna say enough to give them away, but word is the area is far from where the news is reporting that it happened and shots are still being exchanged.

4 cops dead. The shooter that was killed had an AR-15, but the shots that hit the cops are coming from a high powered rifle.

Last edited:
So this was a robbery attempt, and cops came on the scene and got caught in a crossfire or something?

Police killing citizens.
Citizens killing police.
Military Coup attempts.

What if the world isn't getting crazier but internet makes us realize all the things going on. War in the Middle East and killings bee going on since my day 1. Media is definitely up to something..

In other news.. The cops at chipotle in downtown LA I'm in line I could feel them bro. I didn't know how to feel so when I turned around I just mugged and ordered my **** to go. Smh, hate feeling this way

I'm not black so I can't speak on this. But that peaceful/turn the other cheek **** doesn't seem to work.

It doesn't but direct violence like this doesn't work.

White supremacy is systematic so it can only be dismantled systematically.

Exactly, folks have to ACTUALLY get involved and do things like interact or take a position in law enforcement as one step in many other steps to help solve/dismantle the system.

What else is new?
Sucks what happened but why should we fear police interactions anymore now than before???
Because it's turning into a power struggle now. The media is painting it as terrorism and attacks "against the country."

All it's going to do is create police more police apologists and excuses for excessive force. The large BLM groups that were peacefully protesting are going to viewed by police as "traps" so that when police are drawn in for crowd control, they're going to feel vulnerable to victimization and be quicker to the draw.

If it continues to play out like this, you're going to see some smaller scale Tianaman Square s***.

The incident occurred shortly before 9 a.m. local time on Airline Highway, Casey Hicks of the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office told local news station WAFB. She said the police may have been responding to an initial shooting incident not involving police.

A sheriff’s spokesman in Baton Rouge said that one suspect is dead and two others are believed to be at large. Baton Rouge Police Sgt. Don Coppola, speaking on local television station WAFB, said authorities believe the “scene is contained.”

Five police officers were transported to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center. Three officers have died while one is in critical condition, and another is in fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Ties between police and the community Baton Rouge have been strained since the killing Alton Sterling on July 5 after a scuffle at a convenience store. The killing was captured on cellphone video and circulated widely on the internet.

It was followed a day later by the shooting death of another black man in Minnesota, whose girlfriend livestreamed the aftermath of his death on Facebook.

Later in the same week, five police officers were killed in a shooting in Dallas during a march protesting police brutality, which was sparked by the incidents in Baton Rouge and Minnesota.

Last week, Baton Rouge police said they had arrested three people—and were hunting for a fourth suspect—as part of their investigation into the theft of guns from the shop and an allegedly related plot to shoot police.

Sunday’s shooting occurred after thousands of people took to the streets in Baton Rouge over the weekend to condemn Sterling’s death, including hundreds of demonstrators who congregated outside the police station. Authorities arrested about 200 people over a three-day span.

The White House said President Barack Obama has been briefed on the shooting of officers and has asked to be updated as more details become available. The White House has been in contact with local officials in Baton Rouge and offered any assistance necessary.

Write to Alejandro Lazo at alejandro.lazo@wsj.com and Jennifer Levitz at jennifer.levitz@wsj.com

Back
Top Bottom