Best external HD to copp? (must work with 360/ps3)

I want an HD that can be connected to my 360/ps3 and show up, I tried my brothers but it didnt work with it.

I would also prefer at least 150gigs since im going to be getting a lot of movies (no pron -_-), but I can search around for deals, I just need to know itwill work with my 360/ps3 once connected...Thanks
happy.gif

Also, is it possible to D/L Bluray movies to it and hook it up to the ps3 and have it show up without burning it to a disc? Cause that would be
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif

Budget? if you buy one with a USB it will work for PS3 and 360, but you have got to format it on the cpu. You can DL 1080p movies and play them on a 360 if youreally wanted to.

any of the WD mybook passports will work.

500gb for about 80-100. work instantly with ps3/360.

any drive should work.
You have to put the drive in FAT32 for it to work on 360, it works on ps3 like this too
Your cousin might not have been fat32

unless the 1080p videos you are downloading are HUGE files, they're not gonna compare to blu-ray discs in terms of quality. plus, owning a blu-ray disc isnice.

you should get the lacie rikiki

lacie_rikiki_hard_drive.jpg

I'd go with a Seagate free agent go:

41k%2BKq06gQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I bought a 500GB myself about 2 weeks ago to backup my old OG 60GB hard drive on my PS3 when I did an upgrade to my internal PS3 hard drive.I now use thisexternal hard drive to watch movies & tv shows I download and music I listen to on my PS3. I like this drive because it's small, sleek, and does notrequire a power cord to run on my PS3 or laptop. Also IMHO and past experience with external & internal hard drives, Seagate hard drives last longer andhaven't given me problems. Western Digital hard drives
sick.gif
mad.gif
had so many of their hard drives die on me, get corrupt, or lost data in thepast.

Also to get any external hard drive you end up buying you are going to need to re format it to FAT32 if it's 250GB or bigger in for the PS3 to see theexternal hard drive and files on the hard drive. The reason is the OS on the PS3 runs on FAR32 while most external hard drives that are sold for windowspc's are formatted by default with NTFS.

Here are the current prices on amazon.com:

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?...p;ref=pd_sl_99rsxpojia_b

Came in here to post the fact the no matter what HDD u get u'll have to format it in order for it to work w/ ur PS3. Just another reason why PS3>Xbox360
pimp.gif

But Seagate and WesternDigital are two of the best companies for hdd's. Look on ebay or the usual tech sites (newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, etc)

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Came in here to post the fact the no matter what HDD u get u'll have to format it in order for it to work w/ ur PS3. Just another reason why PS3>Xbox360
pimp.gif

But Seagate and WesternDigital are two of the best companies for hdd's. Look on ebay or the usual tech sites (newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, etc)
the hdd will need to be formatted to Fat32 to work on 360 or PS3 so...

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

pimp.gif

the hdd will need to be formatted to Fat32 to work on 360 or PS3 so...

Yes....you have to partition it to a FAT32 to upload stuff and to make it read on the PS3 (not sure on the X-Box but I heard that the PS3 is more moviefriendly as far as it being a mpeg4). I just started doing this a month ago and I will never buy a DVD and Blu-Ray again. Only downside to the partition to aFAT32 is that you can only max upload about 4gigs at a time....so that would exclude Blu-Ray movies since they seem to be 4gigs or higher. But I think rippersand downloaders are noticing this problem so they are formating movies a lot better. I am getting damn near Blu-Ray movies at a fraction of the file size. Mostare only 2.5gigs tops and average 1.5gigs a movie.

Just google "partitioning HD to FAT32" and there should be a step by step guide.

Oh...and to answer your questions, I got a Western Digital 1.5TB and it has been great. Quiet, matches the PS3 and turns off when not in use.

So if I have data already on my hard drive and I want to partition it, will I lose all my data on my hard drive?

ps3 would only read fat32 files
in a fat32 you cant have single files larger than 4gb and a typical HD movie is 10gb +
yes you will lose your data if you partition it with files already in it
what you can do is move some files into your computer for temporary storage and then format it in a fat32 file system and then move back

Good lookin shatter.
Another question... So if I partition my Maxtor HD will my 360 be able to read the files once I plug it in the USB?

as for blu-ray rips... some of us have been enjoying them on our ps3's via HDD for some time. true, fat32 can only recognize up to 4gb at a time-- so getMKV2VOB. Download the MKV, convert in ps3 format, and it'll split your files in to 4gb parts each. and yes, when I do a side by side comparison with areal blu-ray, I genuinely can't tell the difference.

Good info in here, I always wondered what steps I needed to take for my external to show up on my 360.

Seagate / Western Digital. Make sure it's formatted fat32. As for price, there's bargains all over the net, just search around, I'd recommendhitting up Young Dr0..

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

in a fat32 you cant have single files larger than 4gb and a typical HD movie is 10gb +
what you can do is move some files into your computer for temporary storage and then format it in a fat32 file system and then move back
Where they doing that at?

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

True bluray rips are 30+ gb

Those 4 gig 720p files you find online are not true hd

Question about formatting it to fat32, will you have to reformat it when you use it with you pc?

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

True "Rips" are 7-10gb. Actual untouched Blu-Ray downloads are anywhere from 20-50gbs.

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

shatterkneesinc wrote:

Yeah but it still looks pretty damn good even if it isn't true HD and you save like $30 as well. Like I said, some rippers are getting pretty good at whatthey do. I have iRobot and it looks awesome and it is only 1.4gb.

Back
Top Bottom