BET founder is ashamed of what the Newtwork has become.

The BET Awards last night were impressive. Not much foolishness took place. I was bothered by the amount of goons on stage whenever anyone from Young Money won something. BET might need to put in a rule regarding that.

From my fav.blog: http://www.conversateisnotaword.com

This morning, I read Dr. Boyce Watkin’s piece on Sheila Johnson featured on AOL’s Black Voice site. For those who may reside under a rock, Sheila Johnson is one of the wealthiest women in the country, the first Africa -American woman to be an owner or partner in three professional sports franchises (the Washington Capitals, theWashington Wizards and the Washington Mystics), a humanitarian and the former wife of BET founder Bob Johnson.
Johnson recently remarked that she is ashamed of BET and doesn’t want her own kids watching it. She stated that BET may be contributing to the spread of AIDS in the black community by promoting raunchy, unprotected sex in rap videos. She told The Daily Beast that the channel was originally started to be “the Ebony magazine on television.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

its easy to bash BET...but more important to look at the bigger picture my dudes. How could a conscious, substance filled, entertainment network survive on contemporary cable? Look whats on our channels! A whole bunch of fake $!%!, BET is just doing what it has to do to stay afloat.
Word. TV is horrible, even the cartoons are bad [some are funny, but still bad, and I watch them]. 
Only thing I watch avidly on TV is sports, cartoons, Spike, Discovery, History, and Food Network. I still flip thru channels tho, but not that often.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Last I checked MTV offered nothing of value to society yet you rarely hear anyone whos ashamed of them.
When people see Mtv, they don't think that it represents an entire race.

Right or wrong, when people see BET, they think it represents our whole race. That's why people pick on it, and rightfully so. Take the 'B' out 'BET' and this conversation doesn't exist.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Realistically though, if BET was truly to be an asset to our race, it would look PBS, and nobody would watch.[/color]

man you aint never lie

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

From my fav.blog: http://www.conversateisnotaword.com

Articles like Watkins’ perpetuate this notion that we all are mindless zombies with no responsibility for our own actions and our own children. We can be led by the nose by any company to do anything, and it’s all their fault for negatively influencing us. It’s the eternal victimhood argument. Has anyone ever stopped to think of the African American consumer’s role in this? Quick lesson: In order for BET to make money, WE HAVE TO WATCH. If we are not to be considered by the world as crybaby victims forever and always, we must stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Is it BET’s fault if you let your kid’s watch inappropriate imagery? Is it BET’s fault that hip-hop has become nothing but a hotbed of thuggery and misogyny? Is it BET’s fault that you are not involved in your child’s education and career goals? And, most importantly, is it BET’s fault if our black %%+## won’t turn it off? As a community, we have refused to stand up and demand better, so we deserve what we get.

You’re going to tell me that a race that survived slavery, Jim Crow and degregation has been totally felled by a ++!!#@!! cable channel?  The argument is embarrassing.  BET is like the low-hanging fruit of the black-people-blame-game. If we can’t construct an intelligent argument regarding social factors affecting our neighborhoods, just blame it on BET. Personally, I thinkRay J’s show, ‘For the Love of Ray J,’ has some of the worst depictions of African American men and women I’ve seen in years, yet we sit quietly by and the ratings soar. So I guess that’s VH1’s fault? Would we dare ask Viacom to give all their fortune to the black community in order to make amends for us watching their shows? Lunacy.

BET contributes to the spread of AIDS because it promotes promiscuity? Isn’t it faaaaaar more likely that the destruction of the family unit, the lack of adequate parental supervision, lack of adequate health education for our young people, and lack of parental involvement in our schools have a larger impact than some damn BET? Watkins stated they “traded in the collective consciousness of our children in exchange for a billion-dollar war chest.

Back
Top Bottom