Better Call Saul Season Thread - Season Six - April 18th

fe5vygvvue191.png

k5hu3vsoue191.png

2t0n0pjlue191.png

Can someone explain all the "candle flicker" hype?
The candle flickers because a gust of wind blows through the apartment. The gust of wind is from someone opening the door and entering

Jimmy and Kim see the candle flicker, then look up to see who came in, and they freak out because it is Lalo.

The flicker represents/signals Lalo arriving

Really, it is just a cool way to signal to the audience and characters something is about to happen

I got all that, but was there previous "flickers" that I missed?
No, not that I remember in the show

But It is just a trope/belief that candles flicker when ghosts are in the room

Jimmy thinks Lalo is dead, so it is like he is seeing a ghost.

Jimmy freaks out way more than Kim at the sight of Lalo because Kim knew Lalo was alive.

Jimmy is seeing a person he thought was dead/a ghost

Last edited:
BCS Insider podcast for this epi, for those interested... feat. Patrick Fabian.

Last edited:
I loved the candle flickering because the first time it happens, it reminded me of what people say in tv shows and movies "I saw a ghost/there's a ghost in here". Then the second time it happens, it's actually a literal ghost to Jimmy and Kim....Lalo....someone who they assumed dead walks in and their facial expressions resemble people seeing a ghost. At least that's what I got out of that.

They also definitely foreshadowed Lalo dying. When he calls Hector to ask permission to move on Gus and he's telling him no by ringing the bell uncontrollably to stop him, it's the same way he rang the bell when Gus visits him and he blows both of them up in the nursing home. I thought that was interesting to put in that scene.

Last edited:
I'll have a different perspective of this when I rewatch the whole thing, but IIRC, Howard (while decent) was still a **** towards Kim and Jimmy... but I don't think he deserved being played like that from them. Howard was right... Kim actually enjoyed it.... kinda like how she enjoyed the thrill of scamming in the previous seasons.

I'll have a different perspective of this when I rewatch the whole thing, but IIRC, Howard (while decent) was still a **** towards Kim and Jimmy... but I don't think he deserved being played like that from them. Howard was right... Kim actually enjoyed it.... kinda like how she enjoyed the thrill of scamming in the previous seasons.
When he shows up at the apartment, he actually recapped what he did to them. He said that he took Kim's office away and send her down to docs, and questioned if he sided with Chuck over Jimmy most of the time, basically cementing he felt right that Jimmy was a schmo. Still, him being aware of how big of an a-hole he was to them, the writer's still manage to get the audience to feel sorry for him (and rightfully so). I mean, they went overboard screwing his career up on top of his life being screwed up in general, but he didn't have to die, THAT'S what ultimately gets us to sympathize with Howard. He was there out of misery because of Jimmy and Kim and his ignorance to who Lalo was and why he was there basically made him an innocent bystander, and boom, they drop the hammer on us.

I'm still sitting here, 18+ hours later, completely amazed at what they have pulled off.

The level of detail they put into the con on Howard. The planning, the effort, the thought process itself, as soon as that judge walked in with his arm in the sling, you could see Howard losin it. :lol: The fact he kept saying compromise, and then Howard said he was himself compromised. :wow: :lol:

But then to turn around and figure it all out, every detail, as crazy as it sounded, Howard was right 100%.

Then to show up at their place, and absolutely nail every beat. They weren't even really denying it, they were just enjoying the beat, telling him, he'll land on his feet, he always does....... then he lands on his head. :smh: :pimp:

They even added the momentary remorse when he explains his marriage is in shambles, for a brief moment, they felt that, they didn't know any of that part.

The whole time that's happening, Lalo is plotting on Gus, and we are completely prepped for that. Ready for war. Ready for him to storm the laundromat. And in the final scene, they completely get us as the candle flickers and terror reigns. :pimp:

We literally know Gus, Mike, Saul survive into Breaking Bad, and we're still edge of our seats because of their writing. It's incredible what's happening. I'm in the shower this morning trying to decide if Breaking Bad and Saul are all just 1 show, 11 seasons of greatness, or do I need to keep them separate and now my Mount Rushmore of TV shows is reduced to only 2 others. (Breaking, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos is currently my Rushmore, but damnit if Saul isn't about to kick somebody out......)

We have 6 eps left. They have to get Howard out of their house, Saul obviously can't go to jail for it, he wouldn't let Kim go to Jail, Lalo has to die (I assume since he's not in BB) we hope that Saul is reunited with Kim in Nebraska AFTER Breaking Bad, but ya know what......at this point, I have this horrible feeling that Lalo survives, lays low in Breaking Bad, and somehow tracks them down in Nebraska after they think they are free and once again a candle blows........ :frown:

That was wild - I expected
Howard to die at least by the end - but my best guess was a heart attack from stress Jimmy and Kim induced - but I did not see that coming at all.

One of the greatest TV shows of all time.

Back
Top Bottom