Big Bear

Sup yall.
I've never been to Big Bear. Haven't skiied (?) or boarded for 10 yrs now. Can someone give me the details w/ BigBear? What's the drive like?Affordable ski lift? Hotel/cabin? Not looking to spend a grip of money. Coming from the IE.

Probably won't be leaving the bunny slopes..hhahaha.....just want to get out of the city...and get a relaxing gettaway...play in the snow.....

I have a Civic.....Should I get a rental instead?

Thanks in advance.

its a cool 1 hr drive. ski lifts will run you about $40-$50 but if you work at a skate shop, show your paystub and you could get a discounted or free liftticket. you could make a day trip outta it and dont need a hotel or cabin. cabins are for groups and staying for a couple days or more, i think it was $400when i went last winter - it was worth it. lots of alki, the homies, about 40 of us. it gets crowded big time up there so go in the early morning or later onat night. best to go after it rains...

Cool. Thanks for the input. It'll probably just a getaway for me and the wife. She said to invite some close friends, but for now it's just us. Whatabout the car? Is my civic good enough? Its 2005.

hey i might take a trip to big bear as well. i drive an rsx. you guys think it's going to be hard? and any place to rent some chains? i dont want to buy ifim only using it once a year or so. and does anyone have any coupons for lift tickets? thanks.

dyzzle wrote:
hey i might take a trip to big bear as well. i drive an rsx. you guys think it's going to be hard? and any place to rent some chains? i dont want to buy if im only using it once a year or so. and does anyone have any coupons for lift tickets? thanks.

Sha77er S7ar I wrote:

^depends on the conditions. civic is good enough but if its snowing or if the conditions are bad youll need chains. i just bought chains because i frequently go up. it really sucks that youll spend about 45 minutes going up the mountain only to have the check point/park rangers deny you.

there is a walmart at the foot of the mountain that does have chains though.

hmm, other advice. dont run over clumps of snow if you see it. could be rocks. happened to me once and it damaged the oil pan of my bmw. =\

if they require to buy chains at the stop, youll have to buy them. but it depends on like severe conditions...its like $20-$30 or so for chains, dependingon your wheel size

I am sure both of your cars are good enough to get up there. I've taken my POS automatic 96' civic up there twice, didn't really have any problems

And yes, chains will be required if the conditions are severe. I was caught off guard last year. They said it would be a "light dusting of snow", soI took my prelude. The night before I was suppose to leave (2:30 am), it started snowing. I woke up around 6:30 am to this (don't mind the lame body kit,bought it like that):

The result: bought chains from a liquor store across the street for $50+.

As far as rates go, as always the weekend (fri, sat, sun) will be the most expensive. I think lift tickets go up a dime on the weekends. I'm going for mybirthday in January, and getting a 6 bedroom cabin... I think its 1500 for 3 days, 2 nights. If it was during the week it would have been under $800.

Thanks for the info sha77er s7ar!

Im also planning to go there with my IS300. I went last year with my car, but it was during February with no snow on the road so i didn't need chains. If ineed chains, how do i put it on? Is it hard and will it damage my car?? And with chains and a snowy road, will my Lexus make it up to big bear?

youll be fine with the lexus man, seriously. once you get up there youll see cars and wonder how they even got up there. chains is easy man, you just need thedimensions of your tire, bring it into walmart and theyll give you the correct one. it wont damage your wheels - ive taken my bmw and put it on my after marketwheels. stupid i know, but it didnt damage them...

ill be there this weekend, eff the crowded malls and holiday shoppin haha. looks like good snow too...peace

Thats wassup! Thanks for the info!

Ill be up this weekend too, and im praying the 91 wont be packed....

ill be there this weekend, eff the crowded malls and holiday shoppin haha. looks like good snow too...peace
Big Bear/Snow Summit and Mt. High are going to be crowded as hell this weekend. Plus you have to pay peak/holiday rates. I'll probably tryto get a night run at Mt. High on Sunday, a little icy but less crowded.

went yesturday and chains were required. my advice is if you plan on going to big bear during any type of peak season on a day when chains arerequired....LEAVE EARLY!!! half way up the mountain they set up a check point and traffic was backed up like crazy!!! it took almost 2 hrs. to get up themountain. we finally got there at 12 and the they closed bear mountain at 4, so we got a good 4 hours in of boarding. snow wasn't even all that great andit snowed the day before, should've just went to mtn. high.

mtn high is shorter coz its off the 15 near apple valley. its geared towards boarders who do more tricks and jumps. its cheaper but also way more crowded. iremember a couple years ago when that place got shutdown coz of a blizzard. when it comes to conditions mtn high is weak compared to bear because obviously ofelevation...

either or, the main rule is to go right after it rains to either place. thats the best powder. my best advice would be to just save up and go to mammoth, youllhave the best time there. and the nightlife is dope...

Ive hit up Bear/Snow Summit three times in the past month and every time I went up I drove my 05 Focus up with no problems. Just stay slow when you see thatblack ice, you never know if its frozen or just water. On the way down last time though it started a light snow and I put on chains. Driving down those crazycurvy roads at night with snow--makes you drive extra careful. Ive never been to Mammoth, how far is it in driving time?

Anyone been to snow valley? I just got a couple free lift tickets there for buying 8 vitamin waters from ralphs.

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Ive hit up Bear/Snow Summit three times in the past month and every time I went up I drove my 05 Focus up with no problems. Just stay slow when you see that black ice, you never know if its frozen or just water. On the way down last time though it started a light snow and I put on chains. Driving down those crazy curvy roads at night with snow--makes you drive extra careful. Ive never been to Mammoth, how far is it in driving time?

Depends on where youre coming from. I try to get up there atleast once a season and from Huntington Beach it takes roughly 6 hours. Its a nice easy drivethough, no mountain driving. Its like youre driving on a highway, get off the exit, and about 5 minutes off the exit (if that) youre in town. I havent had tochain up once in the last 4 years I've gone (knock on wood). One of those years they got about 12+" of snowfall the night before we left and wethought we were gonna get stuck. Worst part was, we ran out of mixers for the alki and there was no way in hell we could get the cars out and mobile to go getmore. Ended up drawing straws to see who would have to make the journey out. 2 losers had to bundle up and carry an empty backpack to the nearest store whichhappened to be about 3/4 of a mile away hahaha... It was still lightly snowing in the morning but we were straight. Had to drive pretty slow but the town dida great job of clearing the roads by morning and didnt even need to chain up.

mammoth is the truth. they got in about 5-7 FEET from this recent storm. get a map when you hit up the diamond, FYI. be safe yalls.

what up Rock.

Hows Bear? I'm itching to call in sick one of these days and taking off to bear for the day. I aint trying to go on a weekend.

Originally Posted by solesavage

what up Rock.

Hows Bear? I'm itching to call in sick one of these days and taking off to bear for the day. I aint trying to go on a weekend.

bears beautiful man. i feel ya on the weekend thing. either early in the morning or at night for me. im tryna carve and not dodge these noobies hoggin upthe real estate. better get ready for the 20th, mwhaha

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Ive hit up Bear/Snow Summit three times in the past month and every time I went up I drove my 05 Focus up with no problems. Just stay slow when you see that black ice, you never know if its frozen or just water. On the way down last time though it started a light snow and I put on chains. Driving down those crazy curvy roads at night with snow--makes you drive extra careful. Ive never been to Mammoth, how far is it in driving time?

Depends on where youre coming from. I try to get up there atleast once a season and from Huntington Beach it takes roughly 6 hours. Its a nice easy drive though, no mountain driving. Its like youre driving on a highway, get off the exit, and about 5 minutes off the exit (if that) youre in town. I havent had to chain up once in the last 4 years I've gone (knock on wood). One of those years they got about 12+" of snowfall the night before we left and we thought we were gonna get stuck. Worst part was, we ran out of mixers for the alki and there was no way in hell we could get the cars out and mobile to go get more. Ended up drawing straws to see who would have to make the journey out. 2 losers had to bundle up and carry an empty backpack to the nearest store which happened to be about 3/4 of a mile away hahaha... It was still lightly snowing in the morning but we were straight. Had to drive pretty slow but the town did a great job of clearing the roads by morning and didnt even need to chain up.
Damn, hearing all that makes me want to take a couple days off... How much are tickets? Much more than Bear? By the way, thanks for the info.

lift tickets arent cheap but imo its worth it. full day passes are right around $100 I believe or pretty dang close to that. halfday i believe is like $70? imsure the website has exact prices. I've never been up there at peak peak times (holidays for example) but on an average weekend the chairlift lines arentany worse than they are at Bear. If you happen to catch it on a slower day the chairlift lines are money and you can breeze right to through. But its not likeat Mt. High for example, where you wait 15 min to grab a chair and it takes you about 90 seconds to boogie down the mountain. If you ride the chairs to the topor close to the top (multiple chairs needed) you can coast and chill and it could be the better part of half an hour to get down to the bottom. Now if you arecookin and just flying down the mountain you can easily do it in less than 30 min, but its a nice looooooong run.

Oh yea, also if you're like me and you like to
pimp.gif
and ride, theres a run that runs through this little ravine type place where if the snow level isnt toohigh you can have access to an opening of a cave. Can dip in there and recharge before cruisin down the mountain. You can actually see the cave from one of thechairs. Or you can just burn on the lift cause its a good 10+ ride to the top anyways hahahaha.

stay away from mountain high, unless you go when its completely empty.

I went on a monday last year, and it was only my brother and me in the entire mountain. Even then we were getting annoyed at how slow the lifts are.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

lift tickets arent cheap but imo its worth it. full day passes are right around $100 I believe or pretty dang close to that. halfday i believe is like $70? im sure the website has exact prices. I've never been up there at peak peak times (holidays for example) but on an average weekend the chairlift lines arent any worse than they are at Bear. If you happen to catch it on a slower day the chairlift lines are money and you can breeze right to through. But its not like at Mt. High for example, where you wait 15 min to grab a chair and it takes you about 90 seconds to boogie down the mountain. If you ride the chairs to the top or close to the top (multiple chairs needed) you can coast and chill and it could be the better part of half an hour to get down to the bottom. Now if you are cookin and just flying down the mountain you can easily do it in less than 30 min, but its a nice looooooong run.

Oh yea, also if you're like me and you like to
pimp.gif
and ride, theres a run that runs through this little ravine type place where if the snow level isnt too high you can have access to an opening of a cave. Can dip in there and recharge before cruisin down the mountain. You can actually see the cave from one of the chairs. Or you can just burn on the lift cause its a good 10+ ride to the top anyways hahahaha.
Damn man, hearing all that has got me day dreaming of Mammoth...
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom