Birds of a Feather enter the Injury Tent Together and Sail'n with Vikings finna be a Brees | NFL WILDCARD SUNDAY 🏈 |

651's Pick Em'

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
source.gif

Ugghhh .. dumb dumb dumb penalty

I'm just going to add this to the perpetual list of things eagles will cry about every year until the end of time. MY QUARTERBACK GOT HIT TOO HARD TRYING TO MAKE A PLAY FOR A YARD!!!!!!!

Y'all will make an excuse out of anything imaginable.

Good thing league had these going couple years ago.. hey look there’s Pete Carroll

Tackling is tough now. Damned if you do damned if you don't if you're a defender. There's almost no safe and effective way to tackle besides wrapping someone up around the waist.

You go low, there's a high risk to the runner's legs/knees. Too high and you're targeting or you're in a disadvantageous position to complete the tackle (and there's still a risk of head-to-head). Head down is spearing and risking your cervical health. Head up still risking cervical health if the contact is helmet first. Try to initiate with shoulder and the runner bounces off you (or he's defenseless).

It's a catch 22.

Good thing league had these going couple years ago.. hey look there’s Pete Carroll

Its a good thing this initiative completely eliminated head to head hits and they don't happen anymore with this one, tiny exception.

Guess QBs dont need to do anything to protect themselves then since this took helmet to helmet hits out of the game.

Tackling is tough now. Damned if you do damned if you don't if you're a defender. There's almost no safe and effective way to tackle besides wrapping someone up around the waist.

You go low, there's a high risk to the runner's legs/knees. Too high and you're targeting or you're in a disadvantageous position to complete the tackle (and there's still a risk of head-to-head). Head down is spearing and risking your cervical health. Head up still risking cervical health if the contact is helmet first. Try to initiate with shoulder and the runner bounces off you (or he's defenseless).

It's a catch 22.

i mean you’re taught to keep your head up just so you don’t take your eyes on your target

also taught to wrap up, because you can knock the hell out of a guy and they can somehow keep their balance

for a RB, I think it’s difficult with the whole head thing.. or with defenders on pass plays who are going after the ball.. or guys rushing the QB who are trying bat at the ball and hit the QBs head

but unless the point of impact changes suddenly, like say a WR catches a pass and curls up changing the point of impact from say the chest to the head, I don’t think it’s that hard

For a defender, I think the defenseless receiver or blindside stuff is rough.. since it isn’t specific to the head area

I get not hitting guys high or even low in those situations.. but you gotta get guys down and/or block guys

“I think it was a cheap shot. And the reason that I base it on that is on regular speed video and not slow motion. … I mean, he takes a shot. Listen, I don’t think Clowney tried to hurt anybody but I do think he tried to punish him. That was my opinion of the play. Needlessly punish him.”

“And for those who don’t think it was cheap, then I would say I respect your opinion, but do me a favor and go back and look at it in real time, the live shot, which seldom do the networks go back and show. Some of them don’t even record the original line feed. But go back and look at that and tell me it was not necessary. To me, unnecessary equates to cheap. That’s my view on the play.”

“I mean, Wentz is heading to the ground, he actually hit the ground about the same time as the contact occurs,” Pereira said. “You could look at it and say, you could make it somewhat similar to a quarterback giving himself up. The defender, talking about Clowney here, is beginning to start to make the tackle. And so you can say if he hit him in the body, if he hit him in the back, he would be OK. But as a defenseless player, since he’s on his way to the ground or on the ground, you have to stay away from the head or neck area.”

Last edited:
Should just make this into the NFL playoffs thread. People are going to use the regular NFL thread for the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom