Black Culture Discussion Thread

Rui Hachimura described his excitement of leading a resurgence of interest in Japanese basketball following the national team's recent success.

Hachimura averaged 21.5 points and 6.0 rebounds in leading Japan to its first World Cup appearance in 13 years.

"Basketball's getting bigger in Japan and I want to be the guy, the face of it. I'm so excited about it. I want to be the guy who can be the whole well-rounded athlete for Japan," said Hachimura.

Hachimura added that he feels outside pressure from sneaker companies eager to develop his brand.

"Shoe companies tell me I'm going to be big. It's a bit of pressure. People expect me to be great, but it's not a big deal for me. I just have to do whatever I can on the basketball court and the rest will take care of itself."

Japan are in Group E with the USA, Turkey, and Czech Republic.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254007/Rui-Hachimura-I-Want-To-Be-Face-Of-Basketball-In-Japan

Six Historically Black Beaches to Visit This Summer

When I see photos like this, I always think of Terminator with that Sarah Connor photo being taken and it’s the photo that last for generations.

I know I’m strange, but it’s just cool to think these lovey ladies just took a picture and it gets used to something educational/historic years later.

Jay-Z Invests in Company That Tracks Parolees With GPS Software

Rapper and entrepreneur Jay-Z has reportedly made a $3 million investment in Promise, a startup company that helps state and local governments track parolees with GPS technology - and a lot of people, even some of his fans, are not happy about it.
Sandra Rose reveals that Promise doesn't actually use their funds to bail detainees out of jail. Instead, Promise sells smartphone apps to government agencies that they could use in replacement of ankle monitoring devices to track parolees who are discharged from jail under the First Step Act. The report described it an "incarceration alternative" that ensures parolees appear in court or take a urine drug test.

Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, co-founder of the company, recently replied to someone on Twitter who accused the company of producing ankle monitoring bracelets and profiting from it. She claimed that they "do not make, provide or sell electronic monitoring."

But she did state that the government is paying their company to track parolees who wear ankle monitoring devices and provide progress reports. This, she says, is a better alternative than having the county spend money to incarcerate parolees that can't afford bail.

Darrell Clarke, Gentrification Is Gentrification — Even If the Developer Is Black
The Council president’s office thinks that diversifying the faces behind the rapid gentrification in his district supports “minority participation in redevelopment and commercial activity.” He is long overdue for a reality check.

https://www.phillymag.com/welcome/3...a?pam-referer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F/

“All my skinfolk ain’t kinfolk,” the legendary Black writer Zora Neale Hurston once said.

This quote goes double for Black developers who profit from land sales that will displace their own people. One need only look to North Philadelphia for a perfect example.

In recent months, there have been reports that City Council president Darrell Clarke and members of his staff stepped in to help a Black developer acquire city-owned properties near Temple University’s main campus in 2016 after the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority balked at the developer’s initial lowball offer. But Clarke’s office’s role wasn’t just a one-time nudge — it actually appears to have been a series of interventionsthat eventually led to a $125,000 discount for the developer, former NFL linebacker Shawn “Zaddy” Bullard.

City officials have yet to explain how the vacant lots on Cecil B. Moore Avenue west of Broad Street that Bullard bought were ultimately priced. While attempting to downplay the extent to which the Council president’s staff was involved in the process, a spokesperson for Clarke’s office brought up diversity as a motivating factor.

“We support minority participation in redevelopment and commercial activity in the City of Philadelphia, which to our great frustration falls far short of fully representative participation in the private sector, over which we have little to no control,” the spokesperson told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “To that end, we view this redevelopment agreement as a net positive for the City of Philadelphia.”

Seriously? A net positive? This isn’t how any of this works.

Whether developers are Black or white, helping them further gentrify your community is actually a net negative. Bullard, who was one of a handful of Black businesspeople and political figures to meet with Donald Trump in Philadelphia during the 2016 campaign, didn’t use that land to promote accessible community-led usage. Instead, he has already turned one of his lots into a coffee shop and has plans to develop his other properties into high-end luxury apartments. At one point on the project, the Redevelopment Authority told theInquirer, Bullard failed to show that he was complying with an Economic Opportunity Plan to ensure gender and racial diversity for his construction work, though he later agreed to.

This isn’t how you “support minority participation,” Darrell Clarke. This is how you further gentrification in your district. Having a Black developer at the head of an effort that will help to push out Black and brown people doesn’t make the situation any less worse—and in many ways, it aggravates it.

Turning vacant lots in North Philly into high-end properties is just another sign of displacement for the very poor. Poverty, unemployment, and gun violence disproportionately impact Black and brown people living Clarke’s district. Given that his district contains one of the most gentrified areas in America, Clarke should be doing more to protect the residents affected by these rapid changes. Diversity in regards to those doing the development is a moot point — diversifying how the land will be used is more important.

As the backstory of this particular development becomes clearer, the Council president should think very carefully about how he characterizes it. While Clarke’s office has denied influencing the discount Bullard received, the self-proclaimed “social entrepreneur” has been saying otherwise on Instagram while boasting that he’s “box office” for the press.

Darrell Clarke, Gentrification Is Gentrification — Even If the Developer Is Black
The Council president’s office thinks that diversifying the faces behind the rapid gentrification in his district supports “minority participation in redevelopment and commercial activity.” He is long overdue for a reality check.

https://www.phillymag.com/welcome/3561584/single/https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/05/29/darrell-clarke-gentrification-north-philadelphia?pam-referer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F/

This is the real takeaway from shows like the Wire and Power.
They use a black face on the board to qualify for minority business funding, and gentrify the area on the back of the biggest cash cow(typically your black drug dealer with money promoted in all these movies and shows). Dudes like TI and Jay quick to be the black face for these "Big Business" moves selling us all a blueprint for selling out. These cats ain't real business moguls if they're only handed scraps from the table.

If you are building big business in a impoverished community, the poor will eventually be displaced for people who actually have the expendable income. All these business moves they are making aren't for black consumers in mind.

Hurry up before they take it down and put it behind a payWall

Washington in the 2000s
Premieres Tuesday, May 14 at 8:00pm on TV 26 and WETA HD
WETA revisits the major events, people and developments that shaped Washington at the dawn of the new millennium. From 9/11 and the D.C. sniper to the return of Major League Baseball and a baby panda’s birth, the region experienced great highs and lows.

Washington in the 2000s | WETA https://weta.org/tv/program/washington-2000s

The first inhabitants of Asia were black “The Ethiopians, the Berbers, the Copts, the Nubians, the Zaghawa, the Moors, the people of Sindh, the Hindus, the Qamar, the Daliba, the Chinese, and those of beyond… The islands of the Seas… teem with blacks, up to the Hindustan and China“ [1]. Al-Jahiz (776-869), black man from Iraq, multidisciplinary scholar, recognized as one of the greatest writers in the Arabic language, extract from his work Book on the glory of Blacks over White

http://en.lisapoyakama.org/the-firs...cW_GSU1J4H9PW5BuxYqo_Dr3wCN1JMnWY18vsGKZdUZrU

The black slaves sold weren't all African.

There were African names, Spanish names, Indian names, french names sold into slavery.

This white man is using his money to tell the truth.

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomeP...ca-waive-visa-requirement-for-citizens-755476

Ghana, Jamaica waive visa requirement for citizens

President Akufo-Addo and Jamaican Prime Minister, Andrew Holness

Effective July 1, Ghanaians and Jamaicans can travel to and from each other's country without a visa.

This was agreed to after presidents of the two countries held bilateral discussions in Kingston, Jamaica, on Saturday.

The meeting was part of President Akufo-Addo’s two-day official visit to the Caribbean country.

Stressing the importance of Ghana-Jamaica relations, the President said the two nations have an excellent opportunity to building on their strong ties, imposed by culture and history, so as to derive maximum economic value for their respective populations.

“We cannot have visas standing in the way of those relations, so the decision has been taken by my government that, as Ghanaians benefit from visa-free arrangements here in Jamaica, we are also going to provide visa-free arrangements for Jamaicans in Ghana,” he said.

He told the Jamaica Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, that the move will facilitate and also make it easier for Jamaicans to come to Ghana and join the ‘Year of Return.’

With the two leaders pledging to reactivate the Ghana-Jamaica Permanent Joint Commission for Co-operation, which has been dormant for some time, President Akufo-Addo explained that, when properly structured, the Commission will serve as a legal framework for the doing of business between the two countries.

“Now, it has come to the time to give teeth to those relations by making sure the various areas of engagement in education, tourism and cultural activity are specifically tied down.

“That is really my purpose of coming here, apart from a mission to sensitize you in Jamaica about an event that we are commemorating this year,” he added.

Year of Return

Describing Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade as a “horrendous episode of human history”, President Akufo-Addo explained that Ghana is keen on commemorating this event, largely because a large number of slaves came through slave forts located in Ghana. “We want to commemorate it, to be able to say together that never again will Africa and her people permit themselves to be subjugated to these types of dehumanizing and inhumane events. Never again!” he added

The President continued, “At the same time, we want to use the symbolism of this year to take concrete steps to solidify the relations of our kith and kin in the Americas and the Caribbean.

“The relationship that we are forming here in Jamaica will form part of the process of solidifying the relations between those of us on the continent of Africa and those of you in the diaspora, outside Africa.”

His visit to the Caribbean, the President said, has been to “strengthen the relations across the water,and build the bridge that we have to build over the Atlantic so that we could find a way of strengthening each other in growing and empowering our economies, to play a more and more critical role in the new global architecture that is being drawn up now. We are going to have relations that are intimate.”

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomeP...ca-waive-visa-requirement-for-citizens-755476

Ghana, Jamaica waive visa requirement for citizens

President Akufo-Addo and Jamaican Prime Minister, Andrew Holness

Effective July 1, Ghanaians and Jamaicans can travel to and from each other's country without a visa.

This was agreed to after presidents of the two countries held bilateral discussions in Kingston, Jamaica, on Saturday.

The meeting was part of President Akufo-Addo’s two-day official visit to the Caribbean country.

Stressing the importance of Ghana-Jamaica relations, the President said the two nations have an excellent opportunity to building on their strong ties, imposed by culture and history, so as to derive maximum economic value for their respective populations.

“We cannot have visas standing in the way of those relations, so the decision has been taken by my government that, as Ghanaians benefit from visa-free arrangements here in Jamaica, we are also going to provide visa-free arrangements for Jamaicans in Ghana,” he said.

He told the Jamaica Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, that the move will facilitate and also make it easier for Jamaicans to come to Ghana and join the ‘Year of Return.’

With the two leaders pledging to reactivate the Ghana-Jamaica Permanent Joint Commission for Co-operation, which has been dormant for some time, President Akufo-Addo explained that, when properly structured, the Commission will serve as a legal framework for the doing of business between the two countries.

“Now, it has come to the time to give teeth to those relations by making sure the various areas of engagement in education, tourism and cultural activity are specifically tied down.

“That is really my purpose of coming here, apart from a mission to sensitize you in Jamaica about an event that we are commemorating this year,” he added.

Year of Return

Describing Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade as a “horrendous episode of human history”, President Akufo-Addo explained that Ghana is keen on commemorating this event, largely because a large number of slaves came through slave forts located in Ghana. “We want to commemorate it, to be able to say together that never again will Africa and her people permit themselves to be subjugated to these types of dehumanizing and inhumane events. Never again!” he added

The President continued, “At the same time, we want to use the symbolism of this year to take concrete steps to solidify the relations of our kith and kin in the Americas and the Caribbean.

“The relationship that we are forming here in Jamaica will form part of the process of solidifying the relations between those of us on the continent of Africa and those of you in the diaspora, outside Africa.”

His visit to the Caribbean, the President said, has been to “strengthen the relations across the water,and build the bridge that we have to build over the Atlantic so that we could find a way of strengthening each other in growing and empowering our economies, to play a more and more critical role in the new global architecture that is being drawn up now. We are going to have relations that are intimate.”

Crazy thing I’m headed there Friday and that would have helped me with that crazy *** visa fee

365BE20E-8B1B-4708-9200-AB4C0941CAFA.png

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/man-nabbed-for-bronx-rape-allegedly-said-she-deserved-it-for-slavery/

Back
Top Bottom