Black Culture Discussion Thread

We are in an era where if we criticize anything that hinders the community it's met with harsher pushback than the actual danger itself.

I've seen some discourse online about Prom Season, and elder people saying that parents who can't afford it probably shouldn't be spending that much money on one event for teens... the response was that's anti-black & "pocket watching"

absolutely zero accountability or focus to improve on as a whole.

**** anyone who says to have the same distrust in these liberals as they do with the right wing..... yet here we are

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tter-headed-INSOLVENCY-plunging-8-5M-red.html

It's crazy. I know this sound bad, but I keep my mouth shut when I see the youth acting up. It's a double edge sword nowadays. You tell a young man to pull his pants up, that n' might pull the strap out on you. You tell a young lady that men won't take you seriously if she's walking out the house with her behind and bust out and she will get mad at you.

All I see on black social media, is this suggestion that black men need to "save the community". If you try to help and are honest, you get labeled as "you think you better than us". If you say nothing, it's why aren't you trying to help the community.

You ever notice that the black community never asks the baby daddy's, dope boys etc. to save the community? It's always the corny, lame guys (I like being corny and lame) that they run to. I didn't create this mess so why am I/we tasked with finding solutions.

There's nothing wrong with having a vision for your life and displaying some sexual discipline. My pops would always tell me it don't take much to lay on top of a woman. It don't take much because it don't mean much.

About prom night. We have turned prom night into a minstrel show for black america. Black skinned young women wearing blonde weave with some loud colored lipstick. She 17 but she look 25 on social media talking about she a bad B. And the sad part is her momma is the ring leader behind this madness.

I don't have any issues with the elders suggesting to be more mindful of your spending during prom season. I don't know how anyone could call that pocket watching. Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a dress and whatnot if you can't truly afford it? There's more to life than just sweet 16, prom night and gender reveal parties.

It's crazy. I know this sound bad, but I keep my mouth shut when I see the youth acting up. It's a double edge sword nowadays. You tell a young man to pull his pants up, that n' might pull the strap out on you. You tell a young lady that men won't take you seriously if she's walking out the house with her behind and bust out and she will get mad at you.

All I see on black social media, is this suggestion that black men need to "save the community". If you try to help and are honest, you get labeled as "you think you better than us". If you say nothing, it's why aren't you trying to help the community.

You ever notice that the black community never asks the baby daddy's, dope boys etc. to save the community? It's always the corny, lame guys (I like being corny and lame) that they run to. I didn't create this mess so why am I/we tasked with finding solutions.

There's nothing wrong with having a vision for your life and displaying some sexual discipline. My pops would always tell me it don't take much to lay on top of a woman. It don't take much because it don't mean much.

About prom night. We have turned prom night into a minstrel show for black america. Black skinned young women wearing blonde weave with some loud colored lipstick. She 17 but she look 25 on social media talking about she a bad B. And the sad part is her momma is the ring leader behind this madness.

I don't have any issues with the elders suggesting to be more mindful of your spending during prom season. I don't know how anyone could call that pocket watching. Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a dress and whatnot if you can't truly afford it? There's more to life than just sweet 16, prom night and gender reveal parties.

It’s better to just focus on you and yours. Like I say, let the universe sort this stuff out. You’ll drive yourself nuts trying to reason and understand, with people who have NO understanding.

Just live your life and focus on your loved ones or those near you who are receptive. Ain’t no saving everybody.

Remember Joshua from Jason’s Lyric? “Stop trying to save brothas that don’t want to be saved”

It’s not our jobs to save the world my brother.

CNN

A woman claims James Brown was murdered and has given potential evidence to prosecutors. It’s since disappeared​

Thomas Lake
Tue, May 30, 2023 at 8:36 AM EDT
Three years ago at the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office, a prosecutor stood over a table, cataloguing items in evidence bags.
“This right here is the shoe,” Assistant District Attorney Michael Sprinkel said in an internal video of the inventory session obtained by CNN through an open-records request. “This is the untested shoe that was believed to be worn in the hospital room on the night of James Brown’s death.”
The items were turned in by Jacque Hollander, a woman who said she could prove the Godfather of Soul was murdered at an Atlanta hospital in 2006. More than a dozen people who knew Brown have called for an autopsy or a criminal investigation.

The declare you’re
It’s better to just focus on you and yours. Like I say, let the universe sort this stuff out. You’ll drive yourself nuts trying to reason and understand, with people who have NO understanding.

Just live your life and focus on your loved ones or those near you who are receptive. Ain’t no saving everybody.

Remember Joshua from Jason’s Lyric? “Stop trying to save brothas that don’t want to be saved”

I sort of disagree.

You don’t save the world in one go. Something I think many pro black orgs try to do. Instead we should grind it out. One person at a time. One year at a time.

This life may not end where we want to be, but consistent disciplined action can take you far in one lifespan. Train the youth properly, they carry the torch forward. We’re in a radically different place in 100 years.

I think it starts now with building community who already get it. Leave the rest to figure it out on their own. Those who get it, build the example and let others follow. Either they get on board or get left behind.

not sure where i’m paraphrasing this from but in order for this progress to really happen, folk have to be willing to ‘plant seeds for which they will never see the fruits of.’ this requires a good faith effort to work ready the soil, water the seeds, plot out the most advantageous land to where good sunlight is provided, removing weeds, pruning, etc., etc. then being cool/content that the result is kinda out of one’s control but knowing that the necessary work was done. there is an element of self sacrifice, altho there are obviously examples of people who were able to both see the benefits while simultaneously setting up their future lineage’s security/success

🤷🏿‍♂️ what this means in the modern increasingly stratified, individualistic, & hyper competitive context, who knows? i think this is just harder to do when it’s seemingly so apparent how others are doing relative to oneself, and easier to self indulge and lose focus

not sure where i’m paraphrasing this from but in order for this progress to really happen, folk have to be willing to ‘plant seeds for which they will never see the fruits of.’ this requires a good faith effort to work ready the soil, water the seeds, plot out the most advantageous land to where good sunlight is provided, removing weeds, pruning, etc., etc. then being cool/content that the result is kinda out of one’s control but knowing that the necessary work was done. there is an element of self sacrifice, altho there are obviously examples of people who were able to both see the benefits while simultaneously setting up their future lineage’s security/success

🤷🏿‍♂️ what this means in the modern increasingly stratified, individualistic, & hyper competitive context, who knows? i think this is just harder to do when it’s seemingly so apparent how others are doing relative to oneself, and easier to self indulge and lose focus
Lead by example. The ones who want to find a way will follow.

Agreed. The quote you’re looking for is
“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.” I believe it was by Socrates but not 100% on that.

I’ve been talking about this for a while with some friends. I’m going to launch my own “movement” if you will but it’s going to be restrictive, have rules, have some philosophical buy in one must make. I haven’t gotten it all together yet but one thing I do know is upfront it will not be meant for everyone. I want people to join because they want a multigenerational project that is all encompassing, requires commitment, and a willingness to delay gratification/have a long term mindset. Catchy slogans, passionate speeches and marches only do so much. In fact I want none of that in what I’m tryin to do. Everything is internal, everything is kept quiet. There is no condemnation if you don’t join, there is no “we are the leaders” of the community. Just a group of dedicated people trying to make our world better for ourselves and our children and those who join us.

You don’t save the world in one go. Something I think many pro black orgs try to do. Instead we should grind it out. One person at a time. One year at a time.

This life may not end where we want to be, but consistent disciplined action can take you far in one lifespan. Train the youth properly, they carry the torch forward. We’re in a radically different place in 100 years.
There are many people who don't want to do anything if they don't directly benefit from it though. That's where the sense of disillusionment with black orgs tends to come from.

Lots of Black folks love that philosopher's quote, but deep down, they want to plant the seed AND be under the tree when it grows. To them, the only successful movements are those that help them directly. There's a lot of selfishness underneath the criticism directed at organizations and people who support Black interests.

Agreed. The quote you’re looking for is
“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.” I believe it was by Socrates but not 100% on that.

I’ve been talking about this for a while with some friends. I’m going to launch my own “movement” if you will but it’s going to be restrictive, have rules, have some philosophical buy in one must make. I haven’t gotten it all together yet but one thing I do know is upfront it will not be meant for everyone. I want people to join because they want a multigenerational project that is all encompassing, requires commitment, and a willingness to delay gratification/have a long term mindset. Catchy slogans, passionate speeches and marches only do so much. In fact I want none of that in what I’m tryin to do. Everything is internal, everything is kept quiet. There is no condemnation if you don’t join, there is no “we are the leaders” of the community. Just a group of dedicated people trying to make our world better for ourselves and our children and those who join us.

There are many people who don't want to do anything if they don't directly benefit from it though. That's where the sense of disillusionment with black orgs tends to come from.

Lots of Black folks love that philosopher's quote, but deep down, they want to plant the seed AND be under the tree when it grows. To them, the only successful movements are those that help them directly. There's a lot of selfishness underneath the criticism directed at organizations and people who support Black interests.

it is a good poignant quote, even if it is probably a ‘best case’ interpretation & definitely conflicts with some aspects of human nature…it just makes sense in a way. that said, i do think it is just harder to have such a mindset (to the extent it even is really an executable mindset, to kinda disadvantage one’s self the present for some yet to exist progeny’s possibility to succeed in the far future) in the modern context where there just seem to be more opportunities, more competition, more striving for clout/status and more stuff vying for attention…

even outside of specifically black orgs. and extending to the world generally with the speed that technology is outpacing culture, politics, & society, it is tough to balance benefits & penalties in the present vs. the near & far future, tho obviously not impossible…it is a difficult sell to ask not just to delay gratification but often to endure sure hardship(s) for somewhat nebulous returns in the future that will definitely not benefit self. i don’t think it irrational to want to enjoy/see/spend the fruits of one’s own labor, or to want to see some short term benefit from institutions

in many respects, and i’m sure i have some bias of retrospect being that i wasn’t living then, saying focused on the building aspect was easier as there was just less to distract people in times past and for most circumstances dictated a base level of focus/didn’t allow for much distraction just to get by

These "elite colleges" always been commoners trying to create an aristocracy to me since they aren't accepted by nobility

Those schools have quotas for everybody because everyone who applies there essentially have the grades. If you dont get in you might as well blame legacy students while youre at it. At a certain cut off your SAT scores and GPA start to mean nothing.

The truth is, black subjugation in history was made possible by the wilful participation of other black people

If we are being honest, the same holds true for every other group of humans on the planet.

Whattaboustism aside, you aint lying though.

IJS the other groups don't get the same energy for some reason.

Painting a picture of Africa as a country (not a continent) where all its citizens are (or ever were) one united group - just because their skin is brown.

Last edited:
Is this an example of "respectability politics?"
I really struggle to fully understand the concept forreal.

Legit asking.

P Present deuce king deuce king RustyShackleford RustyShackleford

"Respectability politics, or the politics of respectability, is a political strategy wherein members of a marginalized community will consciously abandon controversial aspects of their cultural-political identity as a method of assimilating, achieving social mobility, and gaining the respect of their host culture."

Not sure what Paul Pierce got going on could be defined as an aspect of black folk's "cultural-political identity" but I see what you're saying :lol:

It's a term that's thrown around a lot because it sounds smart.

I guess I am asking if SAS is able to criticize Paul Pierce's behavior without it being, "To look good in front of white folks."

This sort of self realization across the entire country would actually be the most effective way of solving this problem long term (in my opinion).

That ability to focus on what you control has been throughly lost in the US.

Social media has reduced attention spans and taught people to focus so far outside themselves - such an insidious destructive path. I don’t see a path forward honestly because the instant gratification tidbits is a lot more visceral and easily digested by everyone. And any level of taking something “away” is met with such resistance from a freedom perspective. Which also isn’t wrong - it’s not safe to quiet any voices - but we’re not so slowly rotting away inside out as a country and it’s so sad sad to see.

Also maybe that’s only 5-10% of people but feels more pervasive because of how outsized and prevalent their voices are on the interwebz

Can’t imagine being a teacher nowadays couldn’t pay me enough to do that job

Back
Top Bottom