black father killed by police in a local walmart while holding a toy gun.

I understand if he brought the BB gun in the store but he was BUYING IT AT THE SAME STORE. ITS A TOY. what did you want him to do with a toy if not play with it?

Leave it in the package. I don't take DVDs out of the case when I buy them at Walmart so why would he take out a damn air rifle?
I walk around eating a bag of chips or drinking a soda I opens at Walmart
I see no harm in opening the package if he planned to buy it

Open carry and brandishing/aiming at random are not the same thing.

We have open carry here and that just means you can have it on your person, and it can't be concealed.

If you remove a firearm from the holster or your pocket or your waist in public, you are brandishing.

Rifles are to be carried over the shoulder/back with a sling.

Anything else is considered a danger to those around you.

Sad what happened :smh:

Last edited:
Yeah they do I have worked retail for years and people pop stuff open point play shoot eat whatever.

the problem was threat assessment wasn't properly utilized.

I see somebody drunk we call the cops and tell them ALL the info

If the store failed to identify that it was an AIR rifle then that probably played into the cops heightened fear.
so you could agree that this could have been avoided on his part right

seeing as how he could have opened it up

without paying for it and playing with it after the the fact right 

That's not too far fetched. People do crazy things nowadays, I can see someone doing something like that, (waving/pointing gun) thinking it's funny.

Let's be real for a second people. A person's appearance will cause people to make quick judgments. If this was a white kid in goth attire and a long overcoat, someone may have called the cops on him because people that fit that description have done things like shot up a public place before. People that fit the victims description have robbed places before. It's hard to put anything past anyone these days.

I just thought of something...maybe they should be given 2 guns, one with live rounds, the other with rubber nonelethal ones, depending on the situation, they will held fully accountable for which they decide to use, use lethal rounds to subdue/murder an unarmed/fleeing civilian and get prosecuted as a murderer, they shouldn't use live rounds UNLESS shot at first.

How real did this rifle look?...usually the BB guns are behind a locked glass case

not in this store
IMG_1421_1.jpg

Last edited:
Walmart is a toy store now? He opened up the toy in the store, in a public place and thought that was ok? Why is a grown man walking around pointing it at people? Common sense has to be used sometimes in a society where we as blacks are being killed for the smallest things

Does Walmart not have a large section that sells toys... was he not holding a toy gun?
did he shoot anyone with this toy gun?
Is it very possible that this talk of him pointing the gun at people is a lie?
Even if he did point the Toy gun at people did he deserve to be shot down by officers?

I Am so ****** sick and tired of this ******** excuse of you know how we our treated by the cops etc etc..... I KNOW that cops don't have a licence to kill you because of stereotypes, I KNOW that cops who are scared of black people shouldn't be given an option to brandish weapons at black people.

Stop with the ******** deflecting, How can you honestly sit here with a straight face and say that the cops reacted correctly by killing a man who posed no threat. Unless your willing to sit here and tell me that somehow cops actually believed this man was walking around Walmart with an Assault Rifle, while talking on the phone, and not shooting a bullet at all.

Also do you HONESTLY believe that if this was a white man walking around with a Toy gun the cops would have shot first then asked questions?

April and Ronald Ritchie, of Riverside, told WHIO that they were in the hardware department Tuesday around 8:20 p.m. when they saw a man walking the aisles carrying what they thought was a real gun, pointing it toward the sky. The couple called 911.

The couple said they followed Crawford at a safe distance. "Anytime I saw people walking his way, I would get their attention," April Ritchie said. She said the man was cradling a cellphone between his left ear and shoulder while he messed with the rifle.

"He just kept messing with it and I heard a clicking," April Ritchie said.

Ronald Ritchie said Crawford "was just waving [the gun] at children and people...I couldn't hear anything that he was saying. I'm thinking that he is either going to rob the place or he's there to shoot somebody.

"He didn't really want to be looked at and when people did look at him, he was pointing the gun at them. He was pointing at people. Children walking by," Ronald Ritchie said.

The station reports that police arrived and told Crawford to put the weapon down. The Ritchies said two shots were fired, knocking the suspect backward. When Crawford reportedly tried to get up, he was tackled by an officer who then handcuffed him and turned him on his back.

If he was a threat don't you think there would've been panic from the people he was "waving" it at. Maybe he was talking to them about it. But they assumed he must be trying to rob the place

View media item 1126437

Last edited:
I like how people are avoiding the obvious. WHY DIDNT HE DROP IT???

honestly if they thought it was real, he didn't have time.

people get shot for pulling their wallets out. dude with what's perceived as a gun ain't making it 2 steps.

"Didn't want to be looked at" who the **** wants people staring at them accusingly while they're out trying to shop :smh:

Last edited:
I understand if he brought the BB gun in the store but he was BUYING IT AT THE SAME STORE. ITS A TOY. what did you want him to do with a toy if not play with it?

PLease don't come in here with that nonsense, he is a grown man. If true, common sense would tell you that "playing" with a toy gun in public isn't the best move for anyone, especially not a young black male.

Family gunna come uppp. Seems cops got there mighty quick... If Walmart was payin the bacon this will be one expensive "mistake" for them.

I don't see how, what was he doing with the gun in plain sight? One article says he took it to go purchase and was playing a video game when cops came from behind. The other one says he took it out of its packaging and was brandishing it at customers.

Look at the title of this thread and read the article. The guy was walking up and down the aisles pointing it at people. I hate to say it but this is not another case of innocent black guy dying by hands of police. Once again misleading title

Not only title, but that first article as well.

i dont by that one bit... i believe he had the gun and was just toting it around etc.... and they saw black guy with a realistic looking gun and panicked

So we are to believe this guy was talking/texting on his phone with one hand... and with the other hand was waving a gun and threating to shoot and kill ppl/children... I mean what was he telling the person on the phone while doing this? Hold on...oh i wasnt talking to you i was talking to these kids im pretending to threat with a air rifle in walmart...lol 

That right there is the biggest issue with this story. Why was it out of its packaging, and why did he feel the need to tote it around the store? Again I don't know if he was pointing it at people like the couple said, but the fact that he had it out like it wasn't a big deal shows a serious lack in judgement. The same people who want to be mad at the couple for "jumping the gun" by calling the cops. Would be in here calling them out if he or anyone else actually had a real gun and ended up shooting people in the store. The first thing they would say is why didn't they call the cops, how could they let him walk around with a gun and not say anything blah blah blah.

similar situation in the bay area. a teen kid had a toy gun with the orange tip removed. asked to put it down and didnt and ended up killed

cops arent firing no warning shots, they out there to shoot and kill if they feel you are any threat

Why should they? Why make it harder for them :smh:. The orange tip is there for a reason, and they all know it, so why the hell would you play that game and on top of that refuse to put it down when told to.

Luckily every Wal-Mart has security cameras so the truth will come out

Lets hope so, speaking of that I wonder if the couple recorded him while they were following him? Assuming they both had smart phones so while one called 911, the other could have been recording also.

We need video evidence, sounds like he was all over the place...there has to be some footage of the store cameras.

I just thought of something...maybe they should be given 2 guns, one with live rounds, the other with rubber nonelethal ones, depending on the situation, they will held fully accountable for which they decide to use, use lethal rounds to subdue/murder an unarmed/fleeing civilian and get prosecuted as a murderer, they shouldn't use live rounds UNLESS shot at first.

In the case of Oscar Grant the cop couldn't even tell the difference between his gun & a Taser :smile:rolleyes) so imagine them trying to differentiate between two things that are actually similar

I also fail to see the need to add "black father" in the thread title. I'm sure it's to pull people into the thread but anyone with a gun looking thing is a problem

its happens everyday
by another black male all the time 

Yea and those black males are thrown in jail to be made profit off of and lead another generation without men, while these cops who are payed to protect us, kill us get a paid vacation and get off free, all while being asked to "protect" more innocent people afterwards.

Notice to all back men, can't even have toy guns :smh: :rolleyes :x :frown:

Yet I can peep all the white dudes carrying guns on youtube that get talked down by the police with no harm done. These pigs quick to pull a trigger on a black man.

This is disgusting.

Last edited:
Notice to all back men, can't even have toy guns :smh: :roll eyes :x :frown:

Yet I can peep all the white dudes carrying guns on youtube that get talked down by the police with no harm done. These pigs quick to pull a trigger on a black man.

This is disgusting.

Seriously, when the tea party was popping off those dudes where walking around with rifles with zero ***** given.

Stories like this not being posted in General won't stop it from happening.
I know that b I'm just saying almost every week there is a news story popping up about an innocent black male/female being killed. I understand it's something to be discussed and people want to talk about this problem and that the US government does not seem to fix anything when these problems occur. But you can at least agree that these stories do pop up a lot in general

What's even more sick are the fools trying to justify the cops actions. What happened to immobilizing people? I don't give a **** what he was doing. There was no reason dude had to die.

Yea and those black males are thrown in jail to be made profit off of and lead another generation without men, while these cops who are payed to protect us, kill us get a paid vacation and get off free, all while being asked to "protect" more innocent people afterwards.
true but that the only time dudes seem to be outraged

only when its an officer

gang members can kill each other everyday without one protest 

but that another convo though 

Back
Top Bottom