Black Folk, Where are we at when it comes to allowing others to use N word with the A

Another thing that really got me thinking: Why aren't whites or other cultures as avid about being able to use the word N-ga as opposed to pursuing the "right" to say other slurs?

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by Hermosa Beach

exactly, good luck trying to explain that to some of the backwards logic members on here though.

still haven't got a response as to why some (not all) black people feel the need to use that word as part of their everyday vocabulary so badly yet start crying when someone from another ethnicity uses it.
Every single group on the planet has language or cultural nuances that are used internally but raise eyebrows when used by outsiders.

But because our culture is so accessible and relentlessly marketed, many people seem to think that anything is fair game when it comes to Black folk.

They soon come to their senses when the cross that line with the wrong _, though.
famb just spit the real.
hermosa beach is straight trolling.. he knows damb well he aint gonna be kickin' the N word around all willy nilly...

get outta here w/ that nonsense.

so because im giving an alternative view on things im trolling?  get outta here with that.

im reading some of the responses to my question and their just hilarious.

end of the day this is America and there's freedom of speech here.  I can say whatever I feel like saying.  when i say it the context isn't bad and out of 100 people or so it's only usually a slight few that get tight and they use the word themselves in part of their day to day vocabulary and it makes no sense to me.

i have some friends who use the word in pretty much damn near every sentence they speak. it shouldn't matter that their black as it's just a word and you guys are giving it to much power and looking to argue for the strength of arguing.

i've had people come at me over using the word before and when i ask them if they use it themselves and how they feel about black people using it  their usually cool with both of those situations so i tell them that their hypocriates and until they practice what they preach they have no right to get tight at others.

i got another friend who's views i can respect.  dude is black and he despises the word period when it's used around him.  it don't matter if your black, white, asian or whatever  he doesn't like the word.   i can respect his view because he practices what he preaches as opposed to some who have no problem using the word over and over and over again but once a white guy says it once its the end of the world.

Originally Posted by Pepper

Another thing that really got me thinking: Why aren't whites or other cultures as avid about being able to use the word N-ga as opposed to pursuing the "right" to say other slurs?
other races don't tend to call each other, people outside of their race, random objects, and animals the slurs you're talking about.

I'm all for free speech. say what you want, but if you get checked for saying a certain word you should know you brought it on yourself.

so because im giving an alternative view on things im trolling?  get outta here with that.

im reading some of the responses to my question and their just hilarious.

end of the day this is America and there's freedom of speech here.  I can say whatever I feel like saying.  when i say it the context isn't bad and out of 100 people or so it's only usually a slight few that get tight and they use the word themselves in part of their day to day vocabulary and it makes no sense to me.

i have some friends who use the word in pretty much damn near every sentence they speak. it shouldn't matter that their black as it's just a word and you guys are giving it to much power and looking to argue for the strength of arguing.

i've had people come at me over using the word before and when i ask them if they use it themselves and how they feel about black people using it  their usually cool with both of those situations so i tell them that their hypocriates and until they practice what they preach they have no right to get tight at others.

i got another friend who's views i can respect.  dude is black and he despises the word period when it's used around him.  it don't matter if your black, white, asian or whatever  he doesn't like the word.   i can respect his view because he practices what he preaches as opposed to some who have no problem using the word over and over and over again but once a white guy says it once its the end of the world.

naw... you trolling cuz everything isnt just isnt black and white like you're trying to interpret. we live in the grey area, and just cuz you have freedom of speech doesnt mean you can offend others with it.
you dont have to respect it... but i can tell you this...

you look dumb AF running around trying to be "down". yes, i'm purposely giving a reason to why you have the urge to say it b/c you have YET to say why you want to say it so bad.

and again... i'll repeat this... you know WHO to say it around, and in WHAT setting... 

hermosa beach? i know for a FACT its some parts in LA you know damb well you keep your mouth shut and walk straight forward, w/ out thinking about yellin "what's good my ____"

Why do black want to say it so bad though, if it's offensive and all?

And why does everything come back down to violence? Is that the only way kats can express themselves?

You wouldn't say that %#%! in my hood hommie. Get chin checked %*!+@

Last I checked, Jews, Mexicans, etc. aren't running around calling themselves derogatory names every other word.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

And why does everything come back down to violence? Is that the only way kats can express themselves?

Last I checked, Jews, Mexicans, etc. aren't running around calling themselves derogatory names every other word.
cuz its only offensive when it comes from other races. also, b/c its part of our culture.
as hypocritical and wrong as it may sound, that's just the way it is, famb..

and it doesnt come down to violence. i never said "chin checked"... getting CHECKED is not directly thru violence.

i'll CHECK the @*!! out of a female that gets outta pocket...  i dont have to put my hands on her.

Its like this, if you have a sister, female cousin or a female you're really close to, and she steps in front of the TV while the game is on you might have a reaction like, "OMG you stupid @@%@, move out of the way of the TV!" Now you know good and well if anyone else said that to her, some furniture is going to move.

Another example, some people have in family nickname. A dude my be called Pookie bear by his grandmother, but if anyone calls him that in the street, its a fight.

The N word is kinda like a in family nickname. You gotta be part of the famb to use it.

This guy Ricky is funny.

Why would someone check me over a word they use themselves. I don't need a "pass" to say a word. If someone try's to do something funny theyll either end up in jail or getting pressed by the homies over something they coulda avoided in the first place.

laugh.gif
the mis-education of the ______

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Its like this, if you have a sister, female cousin or a female you're really close to, and she steps in front of the TV while the game is on you might have a reaction like, "OMG you stupid @@%@, move out of the way of the TV!" Now you know good and well if anyone else said that to her, some furniture is going to move.

Another example, some people have in family nickname. A dude my be called Pookie bear by his grandmother, but if anyone calls him that in the street, its a fight.

The N word is kinda like a in family nickname. You gotta be part of the famb to use it.
I've said this for years...did you get this from me? 
laugh.gif

Best analogy there is.  Like why you wanna go in and joke my sister so bad?  Just find another avenue to be funny/friendly/down

Words are as circumstantial as the world we live in, let's not ignore that.

As a 23 year old white male, I only use the term when singing along at rap concerts or in my car when singing along to lyrics. Or when reciting Chappelle's Show sketches.

I think these are the only appropriate times for a white person to use the term.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

And what is a black dude beating someone down over saying the N word going to do positive, for himself or the progress of the race? Probably end up incarcerated over it, struggle to get a job after that, end up on the streets, viscous cycle that follows. Oh yea, we won that one. Yay! Last thing we need is more violence
I never understood that either. 
laugh.gif
True.  I remember being at a club one time years ago and a white girl was talking real loud next to me and my boys saying like "This n-g-er, did this, what is he going to do get his guns!!!"

My first thought was to say something, then I realized that I will let her look like an ignorant nutty fool and not allow myself to have any connection with that foolishness. 

Unless someone personally calls me the n word, I'm not beating them down, I'll just let them continue to embarrass themselves. 

most of them know damn well they wont say it around black people they dont know.. 

its bigger than the word....is the phenomena behind it....this thread is evidence that people are in denial of why you would even say the word in the first place

Why would someone check me over a word they use themselves. I don't need a "pass" to say a word.   
That justs lets me know that you have been around the wrong kind of black people thus far in your life if you have been using that word in front or them, or I should say you haven't been around to the right kind of black people just yet to correct you on this matter.

this word has lost all meaning it's not even funny. Blacks can front like they turned it into a positive word, or a term of endearment but the truth is the word has no value good or bad. blacks use this word toward other blacks male and female, toward men of other races white, hispanic, indian, chinese etc. Some toward animals when describing an occurance. We are so stupid that we make things like this sooo damn important. What do you expect others to think if you calling everything under the sun a *$+@*? Obviously to them it has not value, so don't get mad when they use too.

I heard back in the day {i'm from BK}, that puerto ricans were allowed to use it b/c they were close to being black. It's just so ridiculous now, we have more important things to be worried about than which race or group of people get a pass to use some stupid word. Why are people fighting so hard for the righ to control who gets to use it? Simple mindedness.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Why would someone check me over a word they use themselves. I don't need a "pass" to say a word.   
That justs lets me know that you have been around the wrong kind of black people thus far in your life if you have been using that word in front or them, or I should say you haven't been around to the right kind of black people just yet to correct you on this matter.

To each their own my man. I lived in Harlem (pre gentrification) and Compton before I moved in my friends crib in hermosa beach which is the opposite of the other 2 areas I lived in. I've never gotten "checked" over stuff ive said or how I act. If anything I've gotten respect from people when it comes to my views on this situation because I don't sugarcoat it and act policitcally correct. It's the most common used line but the majority of the people I grew up around we're black and that word was commonly used as every day slang for better or worse. I used the word because its slang around my way. I never even knew about the other n word that has racist connotations til I was a teenager because no one I grew up with is racist. Bottom line with the word is if someone wants to try and check me over it they can but their not going to get the results they want. It's pointless to go back and forth about what I would do because this is just a message board and anyone can talk tough behind one but to keep it funky I got my view on the situation and it's not going to change nor do I see someone checking me about it either.

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by MARINADELREY

laugh.gif
the mis-education of the ______

mis-education-of-the-negro-carter-g-woodson.jpg

Good book btw for the youngins...

pimp.gif
Yes... yes it is and who in the hell are these black people that want to say @*@*$ so badly? <---Think about that for a minute.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

To each their own my man. I lived in Harlem (pre gentrification) and Compton before I moved in my friends crib in hermosa beach which is the opposite of the other 2 areas I lived in. I've never gotten "checked" over stuff ive said or how I act. If anything I've gotten respect from people when it comes to my views on this situation because I don't sugarcoat it and act policitcally correct. It's the most common used line but the majority of the people I grew up around we're black and that word was commonly used as every day slang for better or worse. I used the word because its slang around my way. I never even knew about the other n word that has racist connotations til I was a teenager because no one I grew up with is racist. Bottom line with the word is if someone wants to try and check me over it they can but their not going to get the results they want. It's pointless to go back and forth about what I would do because this is just a message board and anyone can talk tough behind one but to keep it funky I got my view on the situation and it's not going to change nor do I see someone checking me about it either.

I still stand by my statement, as I see your stance unfortunately will not change on this matter as of now as you have said.  I said this earlier to DoubleJ's in regards to any black person "allowing" or "giving the green light" to any white person saying the word around them.............."if any black person has the knowledge of our history, the struggle and achievements that we have as a race, and knows about the Civil Rights Movement and everyhing prior to that, then I THINK you would feel a little differently and not so open or at ease for a white person to say this word directly to your face or in your presence.  Reason being is because you know how and from whence that word originally came from, and the impact it had or still can have."

I know alot of white people think they're cool or want to be cool and feel like since it's apart of the slang they heard around their way growing up they should be given a pass for saying the word, but trust me when I tell you it doesn't work that way nationwide, or block to block.  We're having this discussion now because I would hope alot of people that aren't black would listen to what ACTUAL black people have to say on this matter and learn from it. 

^

I see where your coming from but at the end of the day to most people it's slang. I posted earlier about how one of my friends thats black cant stand the word at all. It don't matter who you are or what your skin color is he'll say something to you about it. He don't use the word himself either and aside from the fact that's my man I never use the word around him because I respect his reasoning and feelings towards it.

Same way if I come across someone that takes exception to it. If they don't use the word themselves I won't use it around them outta respect.

End of the day though how the word got as "mainstream" as it did is beyond me though. I do think as time passes the word will ultimately become taboo for individuals of all races if they use it

Back
Top Bottom