BOSTON COP CALLS GATES BANANA EATING JUNGLE MONKEY Vol. I'm Not Racist

Originally Posted by cartune

The cop might not be a racist but to say race wasnt a factor is nutzo.
Well, if you think the cop may not be racist, then are saying that you may be nutzo? I mean, there's a thin line between race "being afactor" and "being a racist".

I honestly think it was the case of 2 huge egos. The Harvard professor who's saying "Do you know who I am" and the cop who is like "I amthe law, you do what I say and I don't care who you are". I think the outcome may have been the same if it was a white professor.

It's not like they beat him up or anything, they also arrested him with his handcuffs in the front.

i still think if he didn't make a huge scene, they woulda just confirmed his identity and been like, have a nice day. but anytime you raise your voice to acop, it's not going to be OK. i've seen it happen to my white friends before. and i myself have been allowed to proceed without being arrested just byacting calm and listening to the cop.

as far as the OTHER cop that made those comments, that's unacceptable. and then he has the audacity to try and say, "i always have treated people withrespect...blah blah". gthoh. glad he was canned.

Originally Posted by cguy610

Well, if you think the cop wasn't a racist, then are you calling yourself a nutzo? I mean, there's a thin line between race "being a factor" and "being a racist".

I dont think half the cops that profiled me were racist they're just conditioned by the media and stupid stereotypes that assume the worse of black peoplethat doesnt neccasirily make him a racist. Even the prosecutor said this was stupid and threw out the charges. Both were in the wrong but the cop was supposeto be held to higher standards

718, Essential, and i believe Cguy... I appreciate yalls contribution to this thread. Not because i agree with what yall are saying, but how you guys are goinabout presenting your argument. Supporting your argument, and remaining respectful (most if not all the time) is somethin that i am learning to do..

props i guess
laugh.gif

I think if you have no prior experience with being racially profiled, then you wouldn't understand

I think the whole reason he got out of line with the police is because of the jet lag, and granted he shouldn't have but its the job of the police officerto take that type of verbal abuse

I stand with Judge Joe Brown and what he state on Larry King Live, but i do believe that both parties could have acted more appropriately

Its pretty obvious some of you ( mainly jburner) dont know the characteristics of a racist. Its pretty ******ed to sit here and call the black guy a racistbecause of his outburst. Im probably 100% sure if the cop was black, the black professor wouldve went crazy regardless. Jburner needs to get in tune withreality

Originally Posted by jefffort5

I think if you have no prior experience with being racially profiled, then you wouldn't understand

I think the whole reason he got out of line with the police is because of the jet lag, and granted he shouldn't have but its the job of the police officer to take that type of verbal abuse

I stand with Judge Joe Brown and what he state on Larry King Live, but i do believe that both parties could have acted more appropriately
no, it's not.

but i agree...BOTH parties could have acted differently.

Well, if you think the cop wasn't a racist, then are you calling yourself a nutzo? I mean, there's a thin line between race "being a factor" and "being a racist".

I dont think half the cops that profiled me were racist they're just conditioned by the media and stupid stereotypes that assume the worse of black people that doesnt neccasirily make him a racist. Even the prosecutor said this was stupid and threw out the charges. Both were in the wrong but the cop was suppose to be held to higher standards

Originally Posted by Chicken n Biscuits

Its pretty obvious some of you ( mainly jburner) dont know the characteristics of a racist. Its pretty ******ed to sit here and call the black guy a racist because of his outburst. Im probably 100% sure if the cop was black, the black professor wouldve went crazy regardless. Jburner needs to get in tune with reality

Really. So you believe that if Sgt. Crowley was black, that Gates would still have called him a racist? And I'm the one that needs to get in tune withreality? Its not the fact that Gates had an ouburst that makes him racist, because that just makes him a jack %!%. Its the fact that his whole outburst wasbased on calling Sgt. Crowley a racist, for no other reason than because the officer was white.

I dont think half the cops that profiled me were racist they're just conditioned by the media and stupid stereotypes that assume the worse of black people that doesnt neccasirily make him a racist. Even the prosecutor said this was stupid and threw out the charges. Both were in the wrong but the cop was suppose to be held to higher standards

I see what you are saying. It's still walking a thin line when you say they are conditioned to assume the worst of Black people. I mean, think about it,I walk in to a job interview, a potential employer assumes the worst and decides not to hire me because of stereotypes.

Considering the history of past and present police brutality and straight up murder, it's real hard to say that race was even a factor. We'reconditioned to seeing and hearing about situations like the Oscar Grant one.

And thanks jthagreat

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

I think the whole reason he got out of line with the police is because of the jet lag, and granted he shouldn't have but its the job of the police officer to take that type of verbal abuse

no, it's not.

really its not? idk i was under the belief that police were suppose to conduct themselves a certain way...but yea both should have behaved in adiff manner

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

That cop needs to get dropped ASAP

As for the Gates thing, I think he was running his mouth and the officer had about enough of it.

Take anyone and have them start cussin' out a cop and see how fast they end up cuffed.

THIS. Gates was so strong to think his was being racially profiled he was cursing at a cop the he got mad when was arrested.

jeffort5, you serioulsy think its in the job description of a police officer to take verbal abuse? Of course its not their job to take abuse, the hell is wrongwith you. Its their job to enforce the law and protect the public, not to be a verbal punching bag for every d bag who thinks the 1st amendment means they cansay whatever they want to whoever they want, wherever they want...

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

no, it's not.

really its not? idk i was under the belief that police were suppose to conduct themselves a certain way...but yea both should have behaved in a diff manner
well i mean, when you start to create a scene when a cop is trying to do his job, he's going to restrain you. i think the cop did it in arespectable fashion. no violence, cuffs in the front.

and i mean ive seen a cop pull a white friend out of his car, slam him on the hood of the car, and cuff him on the back for mouthing off during a routine stopfor speeding. not saying that makes what happened OK...im just saying raising your voice to a cop isn't some right we have as civilians. we can do it, butthey can respond.

Originally Posted by J Burner

jeffort5, you serioulsy think its in the job description of a police officer to take verbal abuse? Of course its not their job to take abuse, the hell is wrong with you. Its their job to enforce the law and protect the public, not to be a verbal punching bag for every d bag who thinks the freedom of speech means they can say whatever they want to whoever they want, wherever they want...
WHOA y so angry my friend..i then stated that in certain situations they must uphold their professionalism to a certain degree, and at the sametime we are talking about cambridge, i dont kno what their criminal demographic is like..but ive seen plenty of things within the inner city of chicago wherethe police both acted appropriately and inappropriately...and i have def been the victim of racial profiling plenty of times

Its pretty obvious some of you ( mainly jburner) dont know the characteristics of a racist. Its pretty ******ed to sit here and call the black guy a racist because of his outburst. Im probably 100% sure if the cop was black, the black professor wouldve went crazy regardless. Jburner needs to get in tune with reality

Really. So you believe that if Sgt. Crowley was black, that Gates would still have called him a racist? And I'm the one that needs to get in tune with reality? Its not the fact that Gates had an ouburst that makes him racist, because that just makes him a jack %!%. Its the fact that his whole outburst was based on calling Sgt. Crowley a racist, for no other reason than because the officer was white.

you are making no sense. I didnt read the part where the guy called the officer a racist but even so how does that make him a RACIST for accusing the officerof being a racist. Make sense when you speak. Thats the problem with todays society. We are throwing around the word racist so carelessly that we areforgetting the real definition of the word. Both the officer and the professor were in he wrong in this situation. This whole thread you have singled out thevictim. ANYONE would flip out if someone was in the professor's situation.

Really. So you believe that if Sgt. Crowley was black, that Gates would still have called him a racist? And I'm the one that needs to get in tune with reality? Its not the fact that Gates had an ouburst that makes him racist, because that just makes him a jack %!%. Its the fact that his whole outburst was based on calling Sgt. Crowley a racist, for no other reason than because the officer was white.

you are making no sense. I didnt read the part where the guy called the officer a racist but even so how does that make him a RACIST for accusing the officer of being a racist. Make sense when you speak. Thats the problem with todays society. We are throwing around the word racist so carelessly that we are forgetting the real definition of the word. Both the officer and the professor were in he wrong in this situation. This whole thread you have singled out the victim. ANYONE would flip out if someone was in the professor's situation.

What is he talking about?

Originally Posted by raptors29

you are making no sense. I didnt read the part where the guy called the officer a racist but even so how does that make him a RACIST for accusing the officer of being a racist. Make sense when you speak. Thats the problem with todays society. We are throwing around the word racist so carelessly that we are forgetting the real definition of the word. Both the officer and the professor were in he wrong in this situation. This whole thread you have singled out the victim. ANYONE would flip out if someone was in the professor's situation.

What is he talking about?
i think he's trying to say, gates ASSUMED the officer was racist just because he was white. whether or not that makes him racist, i dunno. butthat was his point. he drew a conclusion based on the fact that the officer was white.

I made perfect sense, deadsetace nailed it no problem. What story have you been reading? And it would make Gates racist because he had NO REASON to callCrowley a racist, Crowley did not exhibt ANY behavior that can be considered even slightly racist. The ONLY reason Gates called Crowley racist was because heis a WHITE cop. Being white does not automatically = racist. Calling someone racist just because they are white = racist. Thats like me calling a someone acriminal just because they are black. Its making an assumption based soley on race. So i'll ask again, do you think Gates would have still calledCrowley a racist if the officer was black?

And NO, anyone would not flip out if they were in the professor's situation. again, here' show the situation would go with a NORMAL person:

Crowley: "I've got a report of a possible breakin at this residence, would you step outside sir?"

Gates: "Oh, it was me, I was locked out. This is my house, everything is fine now."

Crowley: "Ok, can I see some ID?"

Gates: "Sure, here you go..."

Crowley: "Thank you, sorry for disturbing you, have a nice night Mr. Gates..."

END. How hard was that, seriously.

I understand J-Burner's logic and its not that hard to understand... I don't agree with it completly, but he is making a valid point.

Both parties were wrong in this issue but I do believe that most of the blame should fall on Mr. Gates. I completely empathize with Mr. Gates behavior withpolice because If I were put in the same situation I would have probably acted similiarly. I think Mr. Gates went in the wrong when he racialized the issuesand also showed a lack of self restraint and composure.

Do I think this was a case of racial profiling? No. As a person of african descent, when I first heard about this story I intially sided with Mr. Gates becauseof my own personal experiences with law enforcement. But once you dwevle into the details, it appears that Gates lost his cool, slandered the police officer,and then tried to use race to rally support behind himself.

I mean if you really think about it, even if Crowley didnt arrest Gates, Gates would still be in the wrong. I empathized with Gates at the begining but onceyou take a look at this from the officers perspective its not so clear cut. What would you do if you were just trying to do you job and some one was screamingat you and repeadiatly called you a racist when you were not? A person can only swallow their pride for so long. For Gates to continue to act recklessy afterthe officers verified his identity and began to leave is beyond me.

All gates had to do was handle the situation in a civilized manner by asking the officer what he was doing or who reported the incident. If Crowley was trulytalking down to him or making racially inflamed statements he should of requested his badge number and used his influence as a Harvard professor to make surehe was reprimanded for his actions.

I don't see Gates as the victim in this situation it seems like he attempted to pull out the "black card" for a free "get out of troublequick" but it back fired.

^^^Thank you. Nobody seems to realize that the officer's were leaving, the situation was over, and Gates continued his rant, THATS why he got arrested.

Back
Top Bottom