Bought a cargo van. Now what?

Honestly you don't even need a van to make money. I convinced my gf to buy a Sienna, took out the 2nd and 3rd row of seats and I'm steadily booking 1-2 moving jobs a week. Compared to a van, I am saving roughly a gallon of fuel per job, and probably an extra hour that would be spent maneuvering (Length, Height, Width) as far as traffic on the streets and also parking.

Only thing that sucks is since the ceiling is 5'5'' feet I have to crunch myself down when loading/unloading. Also where as a 2br apartment could be done in 2 back and forth trips with cargo van, I average 3 and a partial trip most days.

As far as locating jobs, it was hard at first since I don't use FB, but my GF starting signing up to various local groups and responding to ads in the marketplace. Facebook groups are also beneficial cause you can find cheap labor to help. There are alot of guys who will work like a horse for $15/hr, provided they get paid the same day and you provide rransportation My gf will put up an ad looking for workers and might get 8 or 9 responses. We generally schedule 3 at the most.

Say i book a $500 job (that's what we charge as long as the distance radius is 25 miles between loading address and destination) , we get 3 guys for three hours. 15x3x3=135.
That leaves me 365. Then accounting for fuel,3-4 trips will burn about 20 bucks in gas. Miscellaneous expenses (auto insurance, car note, maintenance, moving blankets/ratchet buckles/shrink wrap) combined average out to takinganother 40-60 bucks off each job. So I make roughly 300 for 3 hours of my own labor plus 2 hours of prep time, corresponding with customers and my hired help.

Back
Top Bottom