Brandon Marshall diagnosed with personality disorder

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Brandon Marshall diagnosed with personality disorder [Video][/h1]
August 1, 2011 | 9:38am

[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/color]

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a mental condition marked by difficulties with relationships, poor self-image and problems controlling moods and emotions.

Borderline personality disorder is rarely diagnosed but studies say it is more common than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Marshall has said that even though he had a $50-million football contract and a beautiful wife, he was not happy.

After a domestic dispute with his wife in April landed him in the hospital with a stab wound and her in jail, he knew he needed intense treatment.

Marshall went to McLean Hospital in Boston, where he met with clinicians and other borderline personality disorder patients for four hours a day. He spent three months there receiving treatment.

"It wasn't till I got here that I understood why I was so unhappy, why I was so miserable," Marshall told the Sun-Sentinel. "But understanding is merely the beginning of the journey."

Marshall has decided to go public with his mental illness in hopes of bringing attention to the disorder and helping others who suffer from it. He has been filming a documentary called "Borderline Beast" that shows his struggles.

"I'll be the face of BPD," Marshall said. "I'll make myself vulnerable if it saves someone's life because I know what I went through this summer helped save mine."

MORE:

Less time for signings means more excitement

Peyton Manning signs long-term contract with Colts

--Melissa Rohlin

Not really sure what to make of this. Would love to give him the benefit of the doubt but the fact that he's making this documentary right away makes me kind of skeptical.
[/Video]
[Video][/video]

At times, who DOESN'T have BPD
laugh.gif

Hey, if he needs this as a way to rationalize his off-the field actions...more power to him. I'm w. you on this PMac...

Any of you catch how Pro Football Talk tried to say that Marshall's disorder got Darrent Williams killed? They got called out for it on Twitter.

Originally Posted by Furrell

Any of you catch how Pro Football Talk tried to say that Marshall's disorder got Darrent Williams killed? They got called out for it on Twitter.

Wait, what?  How'd they come to that conclusion????

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif

Hey, if he needs this as a way to rationalize his off-the field actions...more power to him. I'm w. you on this PMac...

grin.gif

Thats like saying who isn't depressed sometimes, does that mean manic depression doesn't exist?

Look at it this way.

You think he got all these doctors to make @%@@ up?
laugh.gif

Do you think that ANYONE wants to label themselves as crazy unless they felt it was important?
but more than anything else we can all agree that Brandon Marshall behavior prior to this was anything but normal, people thought he crazy already.

uhh that sports illustrated article basically said that Marshall was the reason for Darrent Williams getting killed as well. Granted Brandon didn't do any of the shooting, but him and his cousin basically instigated the whole situation. I am sure he feels a guilt about it that nobody here will ever know.

I am actually glad Brandon is speaking out about how his disorder is a real thing and he isn't just a bad apple. I'm sure there are dozens of other athletes who have some form of personality disorder but have always been given a pass because they are so gifted. I think a lot of players get labled as having big egos when really they have a personality disorder.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif

grin.gif

Thats like saying who isn't depressed sometimes, does that mean manic depression doesn't exist?

Look at it this way.

laugh.gif

Do you think that ANYONE wants to label themselves as crazy unless they felt it was important?
but more than anything else we can all agree that Brandon Marshall behavior prior to this was anything but normal, people thought he crazy already.

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a mental condition marked by difficulties with relationships, poor self-image and problems controlling moods and emotions.

Borderline personality disorder is rarely diagnosed but studies say it is more common than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Off-hand, I almost guarantee you can think off at least 5 (or more) people in your inner-circle/family/etc who fall under that umbrella.  Rarely diagnosed, but he has it....sure.  Like I said, whatever helps him rationalize his off-the-field missteps.  
As someone who has a diagnosed mental disorder, I kind of take offense to that. Not quite as simple as having a bad day.

Didn't mean to offend you, KLJ...that wasn't my intent.  Maybe I just need some more educating on BPD, but it sounds like (in Marshall's case) the normal highs/lows that just about everyone goes through over the span of a day/week/month/year/etc....

It's easy to make jokes and be skeptical of someone's situation, especially when you only truly know it from the outside and stories that have been widely publicized.

Good luck to Brandon Marshall.

I mean I'm not doubting he has a mental disorder, it's been clear for a while that he has an issue when it comes to altercations with women.

I just don't understand why dude would be making a documentary about this situation when he's still dealing with the issues.

IIRC he had a special on ESPN swearing to be a changed man and all of that. Wouldn't surprise me after the latest incident if he decided to try and find a disorder he could attach to his penchant for violent incidents with women to keep the media and Goodell off his back.

laugh.gif

grin.gif

Look at it this way.

laugh.gif

Off-hand, I almost guarantee you can think off at least 5 (or more) people in your inner-circle/family/etc who fall under that umbrella.  Rarely diagnosed, but he has it....sure.  Like I said, whatever helps him rationalize his off-the-field missteps.  
As someone who has a diagnosed mental disorder, I kind of take offense to that. Not quite as simple as having a bad day.

Didn't mean to offend you, KLJ...that wasn't my intent.  Maybe I just need some more educating on BPD, but it sounds like (in Marshall's case) the normal highs/lows that just about everyone goes through over the span of a day/week/month/year/etc....

Yeah more educating would be good, because we all know that Brandon Marshall's behavior has been completely normal.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

I mean I'm not doubting he has a mental disorder, it's been clear for a while that he has an issue when it comes to altercations with women.

I just don't understand why dude would be making a documentary about this situation when he's still dealing with the issues.

IIRC he had a special on ESPN swearing to be a changed man and all of that. Wouldn't surprise me after the latest incident if he decided to try and find a disorder he could attach to his penchant for violent incidents with women to keep the media and Goodell off his back.
There is a massive stigma surrounding any metal health issue yout don't think it might be helpfully to others who are afraid of seeking help to see a prominent athlete like Brandon Marshall stepping forward? I think you are just about crazy for thinking this is some tacked on thing, nobody voluntarily classifies themselves as crazy.

I mean the NFL ordered this dude to seek counseling, it's some "penchant" for violence.
laugh.gif

A mental disorder is still no excuse for not having self-control when dealing with other people. Plenty of folks who are dealing with this that manage to not put others' lives in danger. He may have this illness, but it does not relieve him of the responsibility to behave like a mature adult.

I know that feel bro
tired.gif

Another athlete who I believe has shown signs of BPD is Ricky Williams. Especially after watching Run Ricky Run.

laugh.gif
Just realize that 1) BPD and bipolar disorder are different.. and 2) You, as a mentally healthy individual, cannot begin to imagine what it's like living this way.

Not saying he 100% does have it, but it would explain things. Definitely interested in the documentary.

There is a massive stigma surrounding any metal health issue yout don't think it might be helpfully to others who are afraid of seeking help to see a prominent athlete like Brandon Marshall stepping forward? I think you are just about crazy for thinking this is some tacked on thing, nobody voluntarily classifies themselves as crazy.

I mean the NFL ordered this dude to seek counseling, it's some "penchant" for violence.
laugh.gif
You're kidding, right?  In the court system, folks plead insanity ALL THE TIME to get lesser sentences....I'm sorry, but I think this BPD diagnosis is a cop-out...I'm not doubting the validity of the actual disorder, but with him, I am. 

I'm not doubting the validity of the actual disorder, but with him, I am. 
... because you're a psychologist and you've spent plenty of time talking to him personally, right?

Marshall went to McLean Hospital in Boston, where he met with clinicians and other borderline personality disorder patients for four hours a day. He spent three months there receiving treatment.

He must be an amazing actor.

laugh.gif
You're kidding, right?  In the court system, folks plead insanity ALL THE TIME to get lesser sentences....I'm sorry, but I think this BPD diagnosis is a cop-out...I'm not doubting the validity of the actual disorder, but with him, I am. 
Seriosuly man?
laugh.gif

Being under threat of a harsher sentence is voluntarily doing something are the same thing.

1. He's not on trial.
2. He's not in court.
3. The stabbing occurred during the lock meaning he was not going to be disciplined for it by Roger, so he faces no consequences plus his wife did it.

What exactly is Brandon Marshall motivation for doing this? He gets to poor his soul out on TV, be saddled with stigma of metal disorder and intense media scrutiny what does he get in return exactly? A cop-out so that DoubleJs won't criticize him anymore?
laugh.gif

So to be clear, you think Brandon Marshall with no motivation at all to do so is lying, the Miami Dolphins medical staff is lying, and Harvard university medical doctors are lying...well I'll be damned thank god we have DoubleJs07 the crime dog with no facts and no context to sniff out this web of lies. Whew I almost bought it too, SMH he' about to get a lower sentence in the imaginary trail he's under.

laugh.gif

It's all CGI, detective P MAC ONE and DoubleJs are all over it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

... because you're a psychologist and you've spent plenty of time talking to him personally, right?

Honest question....with the mental disorder that he has, are the hits to the head helping him in any way? 

Any future issues Marshall has off the field he can now blame on BPD. 

What exactly is Brandon Marshall motivation for doing this?

How about trying to rehabilitate his image?  How about trying to get endorsements back because he was virtually untouchable because of his behavior in Den/Miami.  It goes on and on....

I choose not to believe HIM....not the disorder...but, Brandon Marshall. 

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Honest question....with the mental disorder that he has, are the hits to the head helping him in any way? 

Any future issues Marshall has off the field he can now blame on BPD. 

What exactly is Brandon Marshall motivation for doing this?

How about trying to rehabilitate his image?  How about trying to get endorsements back because he was virtually untouchable because of his behavior in Den/Miami.  It goes on and on....

I choose not to believe HIM....not the disorder...but, Brandon Marshall. 

You don't have too believe him, you can just go ahead believing the throngs of medical doctors accredited medical doctors, bound by Hippocratic oath co-signing him.
ohwell.gif

If Brandon Marshall doesn't actually have a problem and isn't actually seeking professional help for his problems, then his behavior is not going to change and guess what people weren't lining up to be endorsed by Brandon Marshall: Suspected Crazy Person and nor will they will be for Brandon Marshall: Confirmed Crazy Person.
laugh.gif

Also the idea that you rehabilitate your image by telling everyone you are crazy I find to be particularly amusing.

The fact that he is making it public lends more credibility to DoubleJ's assumptions. This doesn't seem like a guy trying to figure out why he is such a mess. But appears to be more of a ploy for sympathy to repair his image.

"He wasn't a danger to those around him on purpose. He just couldn't help himself."

Back
Top Bottom