Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in SF? Any NTers roll?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Can anybody give me an approximate % on how much a typical BJJ session focuses on striking?

Any benefits or disadvantages converting to BJJ from a boxing background?
1) Zero striking in BJJ. It's all ground game.
2) Only if you wanna go the MMA route

I wanna start going to a gym, but I'm undecided between King's (your rec) for boxing (and it's like 5 minutes from the house) or Ralph Gracie BJJ in Berkeley (10 mins from my job).
I see. I guess what I'm really asking is if I wanted to be able to connect my foot to a dudes dome like Anderson Silva what discipline do I have to take up?
roll.gif

^lmao

You're probably looking for muay thai. I used to train at Fairtex which no longer exists, but there are a couple of great muay thai schools in the city like world team usa or el nino(one of the head trainers from fairtex teaches here). If you're looking for a muay thai school in another city lmk.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

how much does this typically cost? I know it varies. But I just want a rough estimate?

Thanks

I was paying $129 a month at Fairtex SF but it closed last September.
I was paying $120 a month at El Nino but that was since I was a member of Fairtex. It will probably be $150 a month right now for unlimited classes.

Fight & Fitness is $129 a month with no contract.

FSA in South San Francisco is $110 a month.

Originally Posted by pogiwun

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

how much does this typically cost? I know it varies. But I just want a rough estimate?

Thanks

I was paying $129 a month at Fairtex SF but it closed last September.
I was paying $120 a month at El Nino but that was since I was a member of Fairtex. It will probably be $150 a month right now for unlimited classes.

Fight & Fitness is $129 a month with no contract.

FSA in South San Francisco is $110 a month.
You still at El Nino? Would like to meet a fellow NTer that trains.
And IMO (biased of course) El Nino is the best gym in the area. You're not just gonna learn Jiu Jitsu but you'll also learn how to wrestle and combine both forms together. Look up Travis Lee, he's the wrestling coach at El Nino along with Gilbert. And if you wanna roll Gi, Moses Baca teaches the classes there and he's a brown belt under Cesar.

Originally Posted by CaptainKicks

Thanks, I'll check 3rd Street Boxing out
check it out?
Also anyone know Charles Gracie in dc?  it looks like it is for beginners which is what im looking at.

I personally wouldn't recommend Charles Gracies. And All BJJ schools have beginner classes.

ShaunHillFTW49 wrote:

Also anyone know Charles Gracie in dc?  it looks like it is for beginners which is what im looking at.

I did an intro class at the SF location and wasn't feelin' it. A few weeks later went to Barra Bros and ended up going twice my first day. I had never taken any BJJ class up until last month. I enrolled my 2nd day at Barra Bros with no regrets.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by CaptainKicks

Thanks, I'll check 3rd Street Boxing out
check it out?

Haha, haven't had time to right now with school and work... But summer most definitely.

Anyone going to Strikeforce next month?

Also in July UFC on Fuel is gonna be in San Jose. Mark Munoz is headlining. Brandon Vera vs James Te Huna in the works as well. Might as well try to get Eddie Yagin on the card to make it a Filipino card

I would have suggested Ralph Gracie, but seems like you already found a place. Been training at Heroes Marital Arts in San Jose since January 09, it's a great martial art to do.

Don't want to start a new thread, figure I can just ask in here...

Any recommendations for a place to train in the Davis/Sacramento area. I'm about three years removed from training martial arts, and I'm itching to start training again.

Originally Posted by XX3forever

Don't want to start a new thread, figure I can just ask in here...

Any recommendations for a place to train in the Davis/Sacramento area. I'm about three years removed from training martial arts, and I'm itching to start training again.
I might know of a good boxing gym in Woodland, but not sure about MMA. UCD also has a boxing club and kickboxing classes in case you didn't know.

damn the prices you guys pay for MMA gyms in SF is pretty good. I live in NYC and pay 180/month

Originally Posted by jcsellsf

Originally Posted by chino905

damn the prices you guys pay for MMA gyms in SF is pretty good. I live in NYC and pay 180/month

is 180 the normal rate in nyc?
I would say that is about the average. The "official" rate on my gym is 220$ but i bargained down to 180$/month. Includes unlimited Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ classes as well as kettlebell and conditioning classes. The gym also has a decent amount of tredmills, weights, and machines.

Other gyms in NYC will be as low as 150$ and go as high as 240$/month depending on the name of the school (Gracie BJJ in Manhattan will obviously be more expensive), and depending on how many disciplines they have in the gym.

Anyone with Comcast want Showtime for free so they can watch Strikeforce this weekend? PM me.. I work for Comcast and can have that arranged

Whats up yall, Im in Redwood City. Any suggestions in gyms I should look at? especially some that will take fresh people with no experience

^there's a ralph gracie school in mountain view, peninsula bjj in foster city or charles gracie in san mateo. those are the best bjj schools i can think of close to redwood city. all these school will take in beginners, but peninsula is probably the friendliest with charles next and then ralphs. Ralph gracie schools pump out bad motherfers and they train TOUGH(where I would personally go if I had to choose). You'll get the best training at ralphs too.

to the BJJ guys-

Any recommendations on what to drink while training? I feel like water isn't cutting it and I try to stay away from all the sugar in gatorade. The last 15-20 mins is rolling and I feel like I've exhausted all my energy after 8-10 minutes. Any suggestions?

Also what's a good post work out drink?

Thanks

Originally Posted by TiDE619

to the BJJ guys-

Any recommendations on what to drink while training? I feel like water isn't cutting it and I try to stay away from all the sugar in gatorade. The last 15-20 mins is rolling and I feel like I've exhausted all my energy after 8-10 minutes. Any suggestions?

Also what's a good post work out drink?

Thanks
coconut water

^there's a ralph gracie school in mountain view, peninsula bjj in foster city or charles gracie in san mateo. those are the best bjj schools i can think of close to redwood city. all these school will take in beginners, but peninsula is probably the friendliest with charles next and then ralphs. Ralph gracie schools pump out bad motherfers and they train TOUGH(where I would personally go if I had to choose). You'll get the best training at ralphs too.

My main question is I am fresh no prior training. I would be learning from scratch. What school would best suit me?

Back
Top Bottom