Breaking News: Derrick Rose named 2010-2011 MVP

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

It's still way too early with NBA stats to see which of the new age ones make sense. It's just the baseball geeks trying to validate their over analyzation of a sport. I think I just made a new word.

No you didn't. It's a nominalization of analyze. You also could have been a normal person and used over-analysis.

So "baseball geeks" are the ones that use advanced stats? So in baseball are Theo and Billy "baseball geeks"?

ya i dont know about this.....i mean chicago doing well but im wondering what was his season #s like?

ya i dont know about this.....i mean chicago doing well but im wondering what was his season #s like?

2010-11 Kia NBA MVP Award Results [table][tr][td]Player, Team[/td][td]1st[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]3rd[/td][td]4th[/td][td]5th[/td][td]Total Points[/td][/tr][tr][td]Derrick Rose, Chicago[/td][td]113[/td][td]6[/td][td]2[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1182[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Howard, Orlando[/td][td]3[/td][td]57[/td][td]31[/td][td]16[/td][td]11[/td][td]643[/td][/tr][tr][td]LeBron James, Miami[/td][td]4[/td][td]26[/td][td]39[/td][td]31[/td][td]12[/td][td]522[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers[/td][td]1[/td][td]18[/td][td]32[/td][td]40[/td][td]12[/td][td]428[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City[/td][td]--[/td][td]6[/td][td]10[/td][td]20[/td][td]38[/td][td]190[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas[/td][td]--[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]11[/td][td]30[/td][td]113[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwyane Wade, Miami[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]24[/td][/tr][tr][td]Manu Ginobili, San Antonio[/td][td]--[/td][td]2[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]6[/td][td]20[/td][/tr][tr][td]Amar'e Stoudemire, New York[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]4[/td][td]9[/td][/tr][tr][td]Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rajon Rondo, Boston[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tony Parker, San Antonio[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Paul, New Orleans[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][/table]

2010-11 Kia NBA MVP Award Results [table][tr][td]Player, Team[/td][td]1st[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]3rd[/td][td]4th[/td][td]5th[/td][td]Total Points[/td][/tr][tr][td]Derrick Rose, Chicago[/td][td]113[/td][td]6[/td][td]2[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1182[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Howard, Orlando[/td][td]3[/td][td]57[/td][td]31[/td][td]16[/td][td]11[/td][td]643[/td][/tr][tr][td]LeBron James, Miami[/td][td]4[/td][td]26[/td][td]39[/td][td]31[/td][td]12[/td][td]522[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers[/td][td]1[/td][td]18[/td][td]32[/td][td]40[/td][td]12[/td][td]428[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City[/td][td]--[/td][td]6[/td][td]10[/td][td]20[/td][td]38[/td][td]190[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas[/td][td]--[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]11[/td][td]30[/td][td]113[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwyane Wade, Miami[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]24[/td][/tr][tr][td]Manu Ginobili, San Antonio[/td][td]--[/td][td]2[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]6[/td][td]20[/td][/tr][tr][td]Amar'e Stoudemire, New York[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]4[/td][td]9[/td][/tr][tr][td]Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rajon Rondo, Boston[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tony Parker, San Antonio[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]1[/td][td]--[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Paul, New Orleans[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

I came in here to post this.  This was one of the best acceptance speeches I've heard in a long time. Skip to 2:40 where he starts to talk. Had me cutting onions at work today.

Not going to get into the debate about who deserves it or what makes an MVP, etc. etc. Spent too many hours debating that stuff already. All I'll say is this dude is very talented and does NOT rely on just pure skill, pure athleticism or pure IQ but rather he has a good mixture of all 3. He is, for me at least, the most entertaining player to watch right now. The way he protects the ball like a running back and contorts his body, weaving through and around 2, 3 defenders at a time for a layup. Defenders just stand there not expecting him to do that, but he does. Amazing body control. What I also like about this, is that it seems nobody expected him to be this good. I forget which series, it might have been last year or the year before..whichever was Ben Gordon's last season with the Bulls, Rose's rookie year I think.. in that playoff series against the Celts I saw glimpses of that talent. Never thought it'd accumulate to this level. I regret that I didn't watch more Bulls games this year now that the season will be over in just a few weeks.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

I came in here to post this.  This was one of the best acceptance speeches I've heard in a long time. Skip to 2:40 where he starts to talk. Had me cutting onions at work today.

Not going to get into the debate about who deserves it or what makes an MVP, etc. etc. Spent too many hours debating that stuff already. All I'll say is this dude is very talented and does NOT rely on just pure skill, pure athleticism or pure IQ but rather he has a good mixture of all 3. He is, for me at least, the most entertaining player to watch right now. The way he protects the ball like a running back and contorts his body, weaving through and around 2, 3 defenders at a time for a layup. Defenders just stand there not expecting him to do that, but he does. Amazing body control. What I also like about this, is that it seems nobody expected him to be this good. I forget which series, it might have been last year or the year before..whichever was Ben Gordon's last season with the Bulls, Rose's rookie year I think.. in that playoff series against the Celts I saw glimpses of that talent. Never thought it'd accumulate to this level. I regret that I didn't watch more Bulls games this year now that the season will be over in just a few weeks.

K lets get this straight because I think some of you guys confused, or may have never played basketball before at a high level.

BASKETBALL IS NOT BASEBALL.

Statistics, albeit important, show only a small part of the game.

Basketball is a sport of nuances, and statistics fail to appreciate any of that.

This Lebron generation of stat-geek fans catalyzed by the sloan conference and a lackluster gm like daryl morey has you lebron stans way over your heads.

appreciate greatness.

PER garbage

Why dont you check what shane battiers PER is... nah really check his per the last couple years and look at ALL the players above him. Then tell me if you would take him or the dusters above him. Now, thats just a small example, but I find it really interesting even among my friends, how all the stat geeks are the dorks who aint ever even played ball

K lets get this straight because I think some of you guys confused, or may have never played basketball before at a high level.

BASKETBALL IS NOT BASEBALL.

Statistics, albeit important, show only a small part of the game.

Basketball is a sport of nuances, and statistics fail to appreciate any of that.

This Lebron generation of stat-geek fans catalyzed by the sloan conference and a lackluster gm like daryl morey has you lebron stans way over your heads.

appreciate greatness.

PER garbage

Why dont you check what shane battiers PER is... nah really check his per the last couple years and look at ALL the players above him. Then tell me if you would take him or the dusters above him. Now, thats just a small example, but I find it really interesting even among my friends, how all the stat geeks are the dorks who aint ever even played ball

I also find it interesting how some of you statheads waited for rebuttals, when the best one of all, like a long typed out response like Simmons' wasnt analyzed at all.. Nah seriously what you gotta say to that. None of us gonna waste our time writing something long as *+*+ out when some dude already summed it up quite nice.

Dland your take on Simmons?

Oniondust?

I also find it interesting how some of you statheads waited for rebuttals, when the best one of all, like a long typed out response like Simmons' wasnt analyzed at all.. Nah seriously what you gotta say to that. None of us gonna waste our time writing something long as *+*+ out when some dude already summed it up quite nice.

Dland your take on Simmons?

Oniondust?

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

It is never as simple as picking the better player. The Rockets won that Battier for Gay trade couple years back because they needed to win then and now the Grizz took him back because they needed to win now. Battier is a great glue guy and you are missing the point of comparing him to stars that are better than him. Sounds like you only play NBA Jam.
laugh.gif

And Simmons's opinions were fair. But he even stated the real MVP is the team defense. He brought up story telling parts as usual which make his writing interesting like good teams assuming the personality of their stars. Brought up some advanced stats argument which only helps LeBron actually. Too much individual offense talk as usual tho. Folks like Gay getting paid too much for scoring a lot of points. No mention of his poor defense which is half the game. Whatever, will get called out as a hater as usual. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

It is never as simple as picking the better player. The Rockets won that Battier for Gay trade couple years back because they needed to win then and now the Grizz took him back because they needed to win now. Battier is a great glue guy and you are missing the point of comparing him to stars that are better than him. Sounds like you only play NBA Jam.
laugh.gif

And Simmons's opinions were fair. But he even stated the real MVP is the team defense. He brought up story telling parts as usual which make his writing interesting like good teams assuming the personality of their stars. Brought up some advanced stats argument which only helps LeBron actually. Too much individual offense talk as usual tho. Folks like Gay getting paid too much for scoring a lot of points. No mention of his poor defense which is half the game. Whatever, will get called out as a hater as usual. 
laugh.gif

Deserves it. Well, a better description would be that he wasn't un-deserving. Still, a toss up between him and 04-05 Steve Nash as to who is the worst MVP ever.

Deserves it. Well, a better description would be that he wasn't un-deserving. Still, a toss up between him and 04-05 Steve Nash as to who is the worst MVP ever.

nicedude, i think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I was giving battier his props and basically saying that PER and statgeeks overlook the nuances of the game that are involved in hoops. Things that a "glue guy" like battier brings.

cmon your better than that

nicedude, i think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I was giving battier his props and basically saying that PER and statgeeks overlook the nuances of the game that are involved in hoops. Things that a "glue guy" like battier brings.

cmon your better than that

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by dland24

Don't use that talk on here, cats love talking about stats I didn't even know existed, let alone used to determine the value of a basketball player. I love stats as much as the next man, but when it is the crux of an argument
tired.gif
.Sometimes I don't need to see the stat line to know a value of a given player, I just need eyes.
When you have a group of players who are extremely close in terms of their value to their teams, what should you use to compare them then?

You say it shouldnt be used as the crux of an argument.  But what should then?  Your eyes?  Isnt the point of arguing to provide some sort of evidence or basis of your argument?  When you are comparing two (or three) players to each other, if you cant use stats to compare, what can you use?

I am seriously asking this.  Id love a response.
Game bruh, seriously. For instance, alot of these guys in the pro were statistically unimpressive in college/Europe, Take Marvin Williams, and Brandon Jennings respectively- If they were drafted on college production like Sheldon Williams who was perhaps the greatest reach in NBA draft history than they would have never been drafted as high as they were. 
Also stats rely so much on playing time, and rosters. For instance, before Al Jefferson was traded, if one based off stats alone would they not say Jefferson > Love?

Stats are nice to support an argument, but the first and foremost thing should be their game, and anyone who has hooped, knows damn well 80% of what goes on does not show up in the boxscore. It's really quite simple, can one play or not? If they are close enough to where stats are needed, it is probably subjective at that point anyway......

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics
I offer the rebuttal asked and you refuse me?, I'd love a response.

Originally Posted by dland24

Don't use that talk on here, cats love talking about stats I didn't even know existed, let alone used to determine the value of a basketball player. I love stats as much as the next man, but when it is the crux of an argument
tired.gif
.Sometimes I don't need to see the stat line to know a value of a given player, I just need eyes.
When you have a group of players who are extremely close in terms of their value to their teams, what should you use to compare them then?

You say it shouldnt be used as the crux of an argument.  But what should then?  Your eyes?  Isnt the point of arguing to provide some sort of evidence or basis of your argument?  When you are comparing two (or three) players to each other, if you cant use stats to compare, what can you use?

I am seriously asking this.  Id love a response.
Game bruh, seriously. For instance, alot of these guys in the pro were statistically unimpressive in college/Europe, Take Marvin Williams, and Brandon Jennings respectively- If they were drafted on college production like Sheldon Williams who was perhaps the greatest reach in NBA draft history than they would have never been drafted as high as they were. 
Also stats rely so much on playing time, and rosters. For instance, before Al Jefferson was traded, if one based off stats alone would they not say Jefferson > Love?

Stats are nice to support an argument, but the first and foremost thing should be their game, and anyone who has hooped, knows damn well 80% of what goes on does not show up in the boxscore. It's really quite simple, can one play or not? If they are close enough to where stats are needed, it is probably subjective at that point anyway......

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics
I offer the rebuttal asked and you refuse me?, I'd love a response.

Back
Top Bottom