***:::C.C. Sabathia is an official Yankee:::***

We asked Brian Cashmam how he got to Oakland last night.

"Commercial flight," he said.

"Not private?" I asked.

"We're not the Red Sox," Cashman said with a laugh.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ca$h Money with jokes!!!
pimp.gif

Taking commercial to give a man $160 million

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

By the way, I'm almost sure CC didn't wanna play in NY, so Cash-man had to throw an insane amount of money at CC to get him to agree.
I'm 1000000% sure of this...
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

C.C. is a Yankee. I don't know if I feel
pimp.gif
or
ohwell.gif
Same way I feel.
Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I told ya'll the Yankees would have to sweeten the deal, he wanted no part of coming to NYC...an extra year and 20+ M? Jesus.

But here is something nobody is even mentioning....I read on Yahoo sports that CC signed not only because of the pay increase, but because his contract has an OPT-OUT CLAUSE after his 3rd season, so he ends up disliking NYC he can just leave after 3 seasons.

The deal, according to a source close to negotiations, gives Sabathia the right to opt out of the contract after the first three years of the contract, by which time he will have been paid $69 million. Sabathia had insisted on the clause to satisfy concerns he had about playing in New York.

sick.gif

laugh.gif

$$$ definitely talks...

First off, let me say I dont think this is really going to happen. But when all the reports say CC has reached a preliminary agreement with the Yankees, doesntthat theoretically mean its NOT official (thus making this thread wrong)? Baron Davis reached a preliminary agreement with the Warriors. Elton Brand reached apreliminary agreement with the Clippers.

Im just saying....

Originally Posted by dland24

Im starting to believe that people are not even thinking before posting.

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

what the $$%! was the point of not pursuing johan if you're going to do %#%* like this?
grin.gif
he better have atleast 15w's

Are you serious dude? I have been the biggest critic of the Yankees for not going after Johan, but these are COMPLETELY different circumstances. Again, do some research.
you dont consider johan to be a bettert grade of a player than cc?

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

b) yeah, it sucks. They're "looking" at David Eckstein. Hoo-*#!++*+-rah.
laugh.gif

i love the avy btw...who is that?
Dani Woodward.

She's cute, but that picture makes her look gorgeous.

A Googling will bring up very NSFW pictures.

Damn it, I'm still at work.

what the $$%! was the point of not pursuing johan if you're going to do %#%* like this?
grin.gif

Are you serious dude? I have been the biggest critic of the Yankees for not going after Johan, but these are COMPLETELY different circumstances. Again, do some research.

Of course I do. But to get Johan the Yankees would have had to give up a ton of cash and prospects. To get CC they just had to give up a ton of cash. See thedifference?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

smh.gif
at the yanks both New York teams STILL trying to buy a championship...
Fixed.

K-Rod and Sabathia to NYC.

Who's next?
How are you going to use K-Rod as an example dude, Brad Lidge signed for even more money last season (3 years at 38M with the Phillies).

Don't hate just because both NYC franchises make a TON of money. Mets budget is 138M....there are 13 other teams with a payroll ranging from 90M-140M (Yankees are the exception at 200M).

I don't see whats wrong with owners spending money to win, there are a lot of teams making tons of money but are being cheap. I wonder how easy work must be for the media covering the Pirates during these winter meetings, dude's probably at the slot machines all day.
laugh.gif
a) name one other big-money free agent that the Phillies have signed in the past five years. Thome. I'll even give you Tom Gordon. But that's it. The Mets stay throwing barrels of cash at Beltran, Pedro, Glavine, Alou, Wagner, etc., and it's yet to bring them even an NL crown, much less a World Series.

b) I'm not hating, I just get tired of the Yankees being labeled as the "Evil Empire" because they're "trying to buy a championship", while the team right across town has been doing the same thing for the past five, six years. If you can afford it, spend the money, I'm cool with that, I just don't understand how the Yanks get a worse rap than anyone else who's doing the same.

c) I'm a Pirates fan
ohwell.gif
Well, the Pedro signing is basically what made the Mets even relevant again since their trip to the World Series in 2000. Glavine was there lonnngbefore Pedro, and Beltran was a CF they needed to get, he was the best available option and they had the money to spend.

I don't understand bringing up Alou since he was a 1 year fill in (10M)? Mets needed a closer and Wags was the best available option a few seasons ago.Wags is out with an injury and the Mets top priorityis a closer, so they K-Rod a very good 3 yr contract (less than Lidge). What do you expect them to do?

Point is, don't pretend the Mets just spend spend spend like the Yankees do because they work within a significantly lower budget, and they have a lot ofhomegrown players on that roster ie Wright/Reyes/Murphy/Evans/Pelfrey/Neise/Heilman all making contributions to this team (wait...let me not bring up Heilman).The past 2 seasons they've had a poor pen, otherwise they would have easily been in the playoffs the last 2 seasons (they've missed a playoff berth bya combined 3 games the past 2 years, the pen blew 30+ saves last season).

People dislike the Yankees because their payroll is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER than the 2nd closest team (before this off season), but personally I could care less.To be fair to the Yanks they spent a lot of their revenue on payroll, a very high percentage.

[table][tr][td]1.[/td] [td]New York Yankees[/td] [td]$209,081,579[/td] [td]$6,744,567[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.[/td] [td]Detroit Tigers[/td] [td]$138,685,197[/td] [td]$4,622,840[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.[/td] [td]New York Mets[/td] [td]$138,293,378[/td] [td]$4,609,779[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4.[/td] [td]Boston Red Sox[/td] [td]$133,440,037[/td] [td]$4,765,716[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5.[/td] [td]Chicago White Sox[/td] [td]$121,152,667[/td] [td]$4,487,136[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6.[/td] [td]Los Angeles Angels[/td] [td]$119,216,333[/td] [td]$4,110,908[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7.[/td] [td]Chicago Cubs[/td] [td]$118,595,833[/td] [td]$4,392,438[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8.[/td] [td]Los Angeles Dodgers[/td] [td]$118,536,038[/td] [td]$4,233,430[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9.[/td] [td]Seattle Mariners[/td] [td]$117,993,982[/td] [td]$4,538,230[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10.[/td] [td]Atlanta Braves[/td] [td]$102,424,018[/td] [td]$3,414,134[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11.[/td] [td]St. Louis Cardinals[/td] [td]$100,624,450[/td] [td]$3,049,226[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12.[/td] [td]Toronto Blue Jays[/td] [td]$98,641,957[/td] [td]$3,522,927[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13.[/td] [td]Philadelphia Phillies[/td] [td]$98,269,881[/td] [td]$3,388,617[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14.[/td] [td]Houston Astros[/td] [td]$88,930,415[/td] [td]$3,293,719[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15.[/td] [td]Milwaukee Brewers[/td] [td]$81,004,167[/td] [td]$2,793,247[/td] [/tr][/table]
Those are the team salaries before the 2008 season began, lets not just talk about the NY teams because other teams have been spending a lot lately (ieDodgers, Angels, Red Sox, Tigers, Cubs, etc).....they are all big market teams making a lot of revenue so the spending is justified. When you have owners likethe Marlins being cheap and not caring about drawing some crowds with top players, they have no one to fault but their own. Just some numbers from 2006:

Top 10 MLB Revenues (MILL):
264 New York Yankees
201 Boston Red Sox
180 New York Mets
173 Seattle Mariners
170 Chicago Cubs
167 Philadelphia Phillies
166 Los Angeles Dodgers
162 Atlanta Braves
159 San Francisco Giants
155 Houston Astros

Bottom 5 MLB Revenues:
107 Toronto Blue Jays
104 Kansas City Royals
103 Florida Marlins
102 Minnesota Twins
80 Washington Nationals

% or Revenue spent on Payroll
79% Washington Nationals
79% Chicago White Sox
74% New York Yankees
70% Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
67% Toronto Blue Jays
66% Detroit Tigers
62% Minnesota Twins
60% Houston Astros
60% Boston Red Sox
59% Los Angeles Dodgers
59% St Louis Cardinals
57% San Francisco Giants
56% New York Mets
56% Atlanta Braves
55% Chicago Cubs
53% Oakland Athletics
53% Philadelphia Phillies
52% Milwaukee Brewers
51% Seattle Mariners
49% Baltimore Orioles
48% Cincinnati Reds
48% Texas Rangers
47% San Diego Padres
45% Kansas City Royals
44% Arizona Diamondbacks
43% Pittsburgh Pirates
40% Cleveland Indians
32% Tampa Bay Devil Rays
31% Colorado Rockies
15% Florida Marlins

What's wrong with this picture?

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Also, at least he'll look slimmer in pin stripes?
roll.gif

Probably, since the Yankees don't really let their players wear uniforms three sizes bigger than their actual size

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Also, at least he'll look slimmer in pin stripes?
roll.gif

Probably, since the Yankees don't really let their players wear uniforms three sizes bigger than their actual size
The tilt on the hat needs to go too....+*%! looks dumb as hell when you are playing baseball
laugh.gif

smokin.gif
@ the Angels not being top 10 in payroll, but being a top 5 in 'percent of revenue spent on payroll.'

The money coming into the Angels is getting spent on putting quality players on the field, to keep the money coming in, and the cycle continues.

Good man, Arte.

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

smh.gif
at the yanks both New York teams STILL trying to buy a championship...
Fixed.

K-Rod and Sabathia to NYC.

Who's next?
How are you going to use K-Rod as an example dude, Brad Lidge signed for even more money last season (3 years at 38M with the Phillies).

Don't hate just because both NYC franchises make a TON of money. Mets budget is 138M....there are 13 other teams with a payroll ranging from 90M-140M (Yankees are the exception at 200M).

I don't see whats wrong with owners spending money to win, there are a lot of teams making tons of money but are being cheap. I wonder how easy work must be for the media covering the Pirates during these winter meetings, dude's probably at the slot machines all day.
laugh.gif
a) name one other big-money free agent that the Phillies have signed in the past five years. Thome. I'll even give you Tom Gordon. But that's it. The Mets stay throwing barrels of cash at Beltran, Pedro, Glavine, Alou, Wagner, etc., and it's yet to bring them even an NL crown, much less a World Series.

b) I'm not hating, I just get tired of the Yankees being labeled as the "Evil Empire" because they're "trying to buy a championship", while the team right across town has been doing the same thing for the past five, six years. If you can afford it, spend the money, I'm cool with that, I just don't understand how the Yanks get a worse rap than anyone else who's doing the same.

c) I'm a Pirates fan
ohwell.gif
Well, the Pedro signing is basically what made the Mets even relevant again since their trip to the World Series in 2000. Glavine was there lonnng before Pedro, and Beltran was a CF they needed to get, he was the best available option and they had the money to spend.

I don't understand bringing up Alou since he was a 1 year fill in (10M)? Mets needed a closer and Wags was the best available option a few seasons ago. Wags is out with an injury and the Mets top priorityis a closer, so they K-Rod a very good 3 yr contract (less than Lidge). What do you expect them to do?

Point is, don't pretend the Mets just spend spend spend like the Yankees do because they work within a significantly lower budget, and they have a lot of homegrown players on that roster ie Wright/Reyes/Murphy/Evans/Pelfrey/Neise/Heilman all making contributions to this team (wait...let me not bring up Heilman). The past 2 seasons they've had a poor pen, otherwise they would have easily been in the playoffs the last 2 seasons (they've missed a playoff berth by a combined 3 games the past 2 years, the pen blew 30+ saves last season).

People dislike the Yankees because their payroll is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER than the 2nd closest team (before this off season), but personally I could care less. To be fair to the Yanks they spent a lot of their revenue on payroll, a very high percentage.
I don't have a problem with the Mets spending money to acquire free-agents or re-sign players. Even you said " I don't see whatswrong with owners spending money to win", so we're obviously on the same page. My issue is with the notion that the Yankees just "spend spendspend" to build a team, while the Mets have built their in a very similar manner: trades and free-agent signings.

Over the past five years, the Yankees have given big free-agent contracts to Giambino, Pavano, Damon, and Sheff (and now, obviously, Sabathia). Other starssuch as Abreu, A-Rod, Ivan Rodriguez, etc., were all acquired via trade. I may be missing some people, but these were all off the top of my head.

During that same period, the Mets have given big free-agent contracts to Glavine, Wagner, Beltran, and Martinez (again with the "now, obviously", butadd K-Rod to the list). They also traded for such players as Santana, Delgado, Lo Duca ($6.5 mil
sick.gif
), Uncle Cliffy, etc. Again, I'm sure I missed a few, and I'll leave "fill-in" players like Alou ($7.5 mil) and Shawn Green(nearly $10 mil) out of the conversation this time. But you look at the 2006 team that went to the NLCS and you'd be hard-pressed to find a player outsideof Wright and Reyes who wasn't acquired via free-agency or traded for.

You brought up the Mets' homegrown talent; the Yankess have even more, and better, on their roster: HOFers Rivera and Jeter, potential HOFers Posada andPettite (unless he retired), Cano, Joba, and the jury's still out on Melky (I think. I don't follow NY sports enough to know the general consensus onthis dude's future). I don't see any homegrown HOFers on the Mets' roster, unless you want to talk about Wright a decade from now.

Again, I'm not saying that there's any problem with either team spending the money that it does. Big-name players need big-time money, and yes, theYankees have followed this practice more than any other team during the late '90s/early '00s. However, in my opinion, you'd need to have your eyesshut, your hands over your ears, and be loudly singing "LA LA LA LA LA" to contend that, over the past half-decade, one New York team is tryingharder than the other to "buy" a championship.

Edit: Mets just traded for JJ Putz, Yanks offering guaranteed 5 years to Burnett and looking to trade Melky for Mike Cameron.

The rich keep gettin' richer
laugh.gif

And the Pirates are "on the verge" (such dramatic language) of signing utility infielder Ramon Vazquez.

God !!%+!$$ dammit.

grin.gif

Of course I do. But to get Johan the Yankees would have had to give up a ton of cash and prospects. To get CC they just had to give up a ton of cash. See the difference?
wink.gif
Not really, with the caliber of player the Yankees got, when the original team offers him arbitration(which the Brewers did), then the team thatsigns him gives up a future first rounder. So all in all we did lose a future first rounder. Remember we got Phil Hughes because we got the Astros' 1stround pick when Petite signed there.

It doesn't matter how the Mets or Yankees are acquiring their players because in either case, the formulas just haven't been working lately.

$160 million for a 17-10 record last year? I love CC and I've seen him around his hometown of Vallejo every winter, but man...It would have been nice if heplayed in Cali.

Back
Top Bottom