Camping Appreciation

Been on a mission this year buying camping equipment. My wife and I were talking about how much fun we each had camping with our families growing up. Figured it would be a cool hobby to get into together.

Thought I would make a thread with any advice, recommendations, or equipment suggestions.

We are going next week to Inks Lake State Park in Texas, we are pretty excited. I really want to get everything we need and go somewhere in Colorado this year.

I want to try actual camping one time in my life, it's on my bucket list.

Wouldn't do it without a small army's worth of guns though.

ya i never been but curious to try it... i always wondered about food, taking #2 and tics

FIRE.
We used to go twice a year. Inner city kids from LA hitting camp Ojai and Lake casitas.. man we had a blast.
Jet ski's, speed boats, campers you name it. So many experiences and memories.
We had gumbo, taco and fish fry night.
When my kids get older we are definitely taking them.

edit - when we went, we pretty much brought our homes to the outdoors. lol. We had tv's, multiroom tents, air mattresses, etc.

Used to go camping a lot as a kid. But haven't done so in over 20 years. Talked to my wife about do a glamping trip, but she still isn't down for it.

When I lived in Colorado I went tenting a couple of times. Depending on where you go and in some part the season it can get cold at night. Bring plenty of blankets, get a good sleeping bag and invest in a foam pad to put under the sleeping bag.
Cigars, good whiskey and s'mores by the fire. That is a tough combo to beat.

It is quite beautiful and nice to be disconnected from the world.

Do alot of car camping here in the tri state. theres so many places you can do this. Alot of places in the middle of jersey and by the Delaware water gap.

Part of the fun for me is geeking out on new stuff I want to try and buy.

REI is a great place to go and check out equipment first hand, staff is usually really friendly and informative without being too pushy. The REI branded gear is actually pretty good as well

Do alot of car camping here in the tri state. theres so many places you can do this. Alot of places in the middle of jersey and by the Delaware water gap.

Part of the fun for me is geeking out on new stuff I want to try and buy.

REI is a great place to go and check out equipment first hand, staff is usually really friendly and informative without being too pushy. The REI branded gear is actually pretty good as well

The one piece of advice I was given is to spend the little extra. Cheap stuff won't last one trip, but better-made equipment will last 20 years.

Thats good advice. There are plenty of places to get deals online on camping gear. Thats not to say that some of the "cheaper" alternatives dont work, but the durability can be a problem. Thankfully theres youtube videos on pretty much everything these days and I find alot of the reviewers on camping gear tend to be very tough in their reviews and for good reason. I definitely wouldnt cheap out on your sleeping system and tent for sure. You dont wanna be stuck out in the rain and youre tent starts leaking because the seam seals were cheaply constructed or your sleeping bag doesnt keep you as warm as its rating says etc

Camped a couple of times for a week straight. My family and I really enjoyed it. We got a big 10 person tent. We had only bare necessities. Didnt wanna over do it. There was a primative grill and electric hook up on site so it wasnt 100% roughing it (had a baby with us). It was a great experience. Enjoyed being able to see stars and felt super connected to nature/ the real world.

The greatest White invention ever.

everything-about-smores-1.jpg

I don't wanna say we've been "camping" because we still love the amenities of staying in a cabin.

We've done big bear and most recently sequoia, kids love it ... but I don't think we'd be able to do that tent life :lol:

Not a fan. Don't mind the activities, but sleeping in a tent is :sick:

I can remember waking up and everything feeling damp from the morning dew and being like nah I'm coo with this. I hate being dirty too, no access to a shower, having to use one of those latrines. Hell no.

Dudes I went with got mad cause I used like 3 bottles of water to wash my feet before I went to sleep. Not trying to go to sleep with dirty *** feet.

I could do all the fishing, hiking, cooking and all that, but I would need to haul it back to the hotel after that.

Ehh

To me camping is being in a middle of a forest surrounded by animals with your typical camping essentials and nothing more

Dudes going camping with jetpacks and ****, thats not camping

For anyone looking for camping gear, if you have a Decathalon store near you, check it out. Some great prices, quality probably not as great as REI but everything I've gotten so far has been solid.

Used to go camping in Livermore,CA all the time with the family as a yoot. A few camping trips in High School maybe one or two in my 20’s. Besides that I’m coolio. Too many nuts & weirdos.
My *** mess around smoke a joint start hearing **** and start letting off rounds on the camp grounds. I’m coolio. Maybe rent a cabin but that’s about it. I’m a city kid.

Back
Top Bottom