Can anyone here say they got rich off going to college?

First off the one thing we all need to do is uninstall the institutionalized thinking we've acquired not just in the school setting but in life in general. Most of these posts I read sound like a bunch of panhandling beggers looking for a handout on how to be successful. Hit the block with a sign with that attitude. Youll make a hell of alot more there than sitting here typing questions. They make pretty well though most of them use the money on the things that keep them enslaved. Take control of your own minds and learn what it takes on your own the steps to achieve your aspirations. Follow your heart and it will surely lead to success. Rebel! Granted a degree will give some a boost in society but unless you can learn what it takes to set yourself apart then that resume is going to get thrown to the bottom of the trash like the rest of the average applicants with the same exact degree as you with nothing else to show for it but the commitment to their institution and acquiring a ton of debt. Of course this is only my opinion. Take from it what you will. Now get out there and be somebody

boston doesn't have 3rd rails, nyc subway are deadly...

but yeh i have to network my *** off to land a solid job, i look at it was a eat or be eaten world. Those who don't land that good career placement wasn't simply hungry enough for it 

First off the one thing we all need to do is uninstall the institutionalized thinking we've acquired not just in the school setting but in life in general. Most of these posts I read sound like a bunch of panhandling beggers looking for a handout on how to be successful. Hit the block with a sign with that attitude. Youll make a hell of alot more there than sitting here typing questions. They make pretty well though most of them use the money on the things that keep them enslaved. Take control of your own minds and learn what it takes on your own the steps to achieve your aspirations. Follow your heart and it will surely lead to success. Rebel! Granted a degree will give some a boost in society but unless you can learn what it takes to set yourself apart then that resume is going to get thrown to the bottom of the trash like the rest of the average applicants with the same exact degree as you with nothing else to show for it but the commitment to their institution and acquiring a ton of debt. Of course this is only my opinion. Take from it what you will. Now get out there and be somebody

We've pretty much said everything you said.

I think the problem with college itself is the classes you are forced to take that have nothing to do with what field you want to work in. For example art history, some of the chem classes I took, basically those filler classes you take to meet the requirements for a degree that cost money.

I use to think that way too, until I started graduate school and networking. I'm in my last year of physical therapy school, what did I need ENC1101 for? I still use principles in that class I took 10 years ago in writing research. I had to take Public Speaking. For what? I cant even count how many In-Services, presentations, and lectures I've given. I even had a prof. last semester ask "Where did you learn to public speak like that?". It's little things you pick up along the way that you can apply. I dont need 99% of the stuff I learned in those "filler classes", but that 1% you do need pays significant dividends when needed.

I understand but i meant specifics like art history. What am I gonna do with that (i was an econ major) Some of those classes I took for easy A's like kinesiology classes. Other classes I came out with a c- with doing F grade work like organic chem.

I feel like I wasted 6 years of my life getting a masters degree. People who went into the work force after high school seem to be doing better than me (not everyone but a decent amount). I met high school dropouts who push 6 figure whips. And everyone I know who made it after going to college didnt make it from actually going.

So are there any NT success stories of someone actually getting rich from their college degree?

I eed the motivation cuz money is almost the only thing that matters and i am nowhere near where i want to be.

Besides the fact that you outright admit that money is the only thing that matters to you (which tells me your perspective going into grad school was misguided) why did you think it was a good idea to take on $145K of debt for a profession that doesn't pay nearly enough to pay that off comfortably?

Did you try to get a fully funded MA in your field? There's no reason to go into that much debt when there are plenty of grad programs that offer TAships and assistantships that would've covered your tuition and paid you a stipend (speaking from experience here).

Going to college (and grad school to an extent) is not only necessary to learn applicable knowledge but also because it allows you to develop skills that will be necessary to succeed in the "real world." It seems

Besides the fact that you outright admit that money is the only thing that matters to you (which tells me your perspective going into grad school was misguided) why did you think it was a good idea to take on $145K of debt for a profession that doesn't pay nearly enough to pay that off comfortably?

Did you try to get a fully funded MA in your field? There's no reason to go into that much debt when there are plenty of grad programs that offer TAships and assistantships that would've covered your tuition and paid you a stipend (speaking from experience here).

Going to college (and grad school to an extent) is not only necessary to learn applicable knowledge but also because it allows you to develop skills that will be necessary to succeed in the "real world." It seems

Well 145 is the total cost after all the interest. It is more like 110 if interest wasnt a factor. I was able to knock it down from 135-140 with scholarships.

I didnt even want to go. My dad does a lot of business in Africa. He told me he would have some of this loan paid. Most people I know in this particular program had someone at least help them pay. About halfway I knew he wasnt going to pay for ****. But could I drop out then?

Anyway I don't blame him. You gotta be *****made to be asking your parents to pay all that cash. But don't ******g lie to me. ******g ****. I didnt ask, you offered. It is part of the reason I dont like my dad.

He claims to go to do business in africa then loses a bunch of my mom's money. :smh: It hurts so much seeing how much she believes in him. The stress she has been put through. I wanna be rich so bad for 3 main reasons and one of them is so my mom doesnt have to be anyone's slave anymore.

Last edited:
hate when people throw "bill gates didnt go to college" argument...

SO uninformed. :lol:

Dropping out of college is the equivalent of being a high school grad. He dropped out cuz college was doing nothing for him

Well 145 is the total cost after all the interest. It is more like 110 if interest wasnt a factor. I was able to knock it down from 135-140 with scholarships.
iuptiRmZJwg9I.gif

moral of da story; this generation for da most part is up da river without a paddle...good luck

IMO the Bill Gates thing has nothing to do with genius and has everything to do with execution and drive.

... And I guess you'll ignore the fact that he attended Harvard :rolleyes

You don't have to be a genius to attend Harvard :lol:

Plus, what buggz said is correct.

There should be a lot more Bill Gates' on this planet, its just people lack vision and drive.

It's not like Gates was born a genius.

I'm sure he was smart, but I know for a fact he worked his tail off to get to where he is today.

Last edited by a moderator:

5 years removed from receiving my Bachelor of Science. Nothing to show for. Still paying for school while making $13-14/hr. That's barely enough to literally survive in MA.

Feels. Bad. Man.
What major?

Last edited:
You don't have to be a genius to attend Harvard :lol:

Plus, what buggz said is correct.

There should be a lot more Bill Gates' on this planet, its just people lack vision and drive.

It's not like Gates was born a genius.

I'm sure he was smart, but I know for a fact he worked his tail off to get to where he is today.

:rolleyes I'm pretty sure everyone that has been admitted to Harvard has a significantly higher IQ than the average person.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg both went to Harvard and dropped out because they had great ideas and applied themselves based on their intelligence and resources/individuals they met while in school. They are both the 1 in the million type. Everyone here on NT that uses the Bill Gates argument to not go to college thinks that they will be the exception. Unfortunately, more than likely you are not.

You don't have to go to college to be successful, but trying to convince someone they shouldn't is terrible.

So, having a significantly higher IQ than the avg person makes you a genius?

I guess that makes me a genius.

:wow:

:rolleyes I'm pretty sure everyone that has been admitted to Harvard has a significantly higher IQ than the average person.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg both went to Harvard and dropped out because they had great ideas and applied themselves based on their intelligence and resources/individuals they met while in school. They are both the 1 in the million type. Everyone here on NT that uses the Bill Gates argument to not go to college thinks that they will be the exception. Unfortunately, more than likely you are not.

You don't have to go to college to be successful, but trying to convince someone they shouldn't is terrible.

?

Getting into Harvard, just like getting a hard-to-get job is not about IQ levels or some sort of inherent intelligence.

You would be a genius......if you actually got the point.

What I am saying is those that are accepted to a prestigious institution generally have the drive and intelligence to be more successful in life because they put in the hard work to be a prospective candidate.

Let's be real, those that are fresh out of high school that try to make the argument for not going to college are generally the types that want to take the easy route and already lack motivation and drive. Most 18-20 year olds don't really have a good grasp of what they want to do in life. I believe college opens up that idea.

What point?

You tried saying that there was a direct correlation between genius and IQ in your previous post, and now you're typing up something completely different.

:lol:

Like I said, you don't have to be a genius to attend Harvard.

You could've just agreed the first time around instead of rolling your eyes, sir.

The problem is cats getting masters right after the bachelor's with no experience to speak of. So of course if you're applying to entry level jobs instead of ones you would've qualified for with experience and the masters the hiring manager will look at you funny. And most companies won't give a kid fresh out of college the level of responsibility in the position their looking for. Get your bachelor's, work in the field then make a decision on grad school imo. Only exception I see is if the program was a 5 yr combined.
Then I wouldnt have gotten a job because I dont meet CPA Examination requirments.
You dont need to be CPA exam eligible to get a job.

Obviously it wouldn't hurt but you can easily work as an accountant for a company like JPM and never need to be CPA eligible. 

And really dude, 145k in debt? As far as accounting goes, school prestige shouldn;t make that much of a difference so you should've opted for a local school that the major accounting firms recruit at

What point?

You tried saying that there was a direct correlation between genius and IQ in your previous post, and now you're typing up something completely different.

:lol:

Like I said, you don't have to be a genius to attend Harvard.

You could've just agreed the first time around instead of rolling your eyes, sir.

Yup, you clearly didn't get the point. When did I say you had to be a genius? Do you honestly think those with average intelligence got in?

You're original post on saying you don't have to be a genius to get into Harvard already makes you look pompous. I'm guessing you got accepted to every Ivy League and decided college wasn't for you right? :rolleyes

Criminal Justice. Graduated with a 3.5. Can't even get my resume looked at for probation jobs with a starting salary of $40-50K
mean.gif
Did you have an internship while in college? Those are basically considered entry level jobs now. Companies aren't looking into hiring people with no related work experience.

Back
Top Bottom