Can I get a favor? (Previously, Let's discuss the current UC Campus strikes)

Originally Posted by villansfinest

Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop today...

What was being protested?

probably the annual tuition hikes, sometimes even semi-annually

California now pays less than half of the tuition money, the majority has to be paid by the students

tuition is about 13K a year, not including any other expenses

Jesus, that's horrible. The police made an example of them with that display.

At UCLA there was zero toleration for these kind of demonstrations. Last night we had a camp out on the lawn in front of Janns Steps, and in the morning everyone was arrested and kicked out.

Shoulda done this 3 years ago when the hiked up the fees for the 4th time in 3 years or so. I went to a regents meeting at ucla in 2008 to protest a proposed fee hike (they were voting on another hike that day). We sat in, did some chants, and had a few speakers on our behalf. They ended up kicking us out of the meeting and approving the fee hike later that day. That's when I stopped believing in anything.

I went to a few last year. I haven't had a chance to go to any this year.

I've had classes/midterms during the important times. Looking to go this next week.

Spoiler [+]
The regents (or whoever) also did a hike this past summer. They knew there wouldn't many strike since not all the students go to Summer Sessions

[h2]What does UC cost?[/h2]
[h3]How much does UC cost for California residents?[/h3]
Thischart estimates the cost of attending UC for one year as a California residentundergraduate. For a significant proportion of ourstudents, these expenses are offset by grants andscholarships. And UC's Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan ensures that, at a minimum, systemwide tuition and student services fees are covered for eligiblestudents with parent total income of $80,000 or less.

Keepin mind that your total cost will vary depending on your personal expenses andthe campus you attend.
[table][tr][td]
Estimated average costs for California residents, 2011-12
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td]
Living
on campus
[/td][td]
Living
off campus
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Tuition and fees*
[/td][td]
$13,200
[/td][td]
$13,200
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Books and supplies
[/td][td]
$1,500
[/td][td]
$1,500
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Health insurance allowance/fee
[/td][td]
$1,160
[/td][td]
$1,160
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Room and board
[/td][td]
$13,200
[/td][td]
$9,500
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Personal/transportation
[/td][td]
$2,140
[/td][td]
$3,040
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
TOTAL
[/td][td]
$31,200
[/td][td]
$28,400
[/td][/tr][/table]
* California-resident undergraduates at all UC campuses pay the same $12,192 in systemwide tuition and fees for 2011-12. The fees figure above includes theaverage cost of additional campus-based fees. Your total costs will varydepending on your personal expenses and the campus you attend. All fees aresubject to change without notice.

California pays about 14K of that 30K

http://articles.latimes.c...me-0915-uc-plan-20110915

[h1][/h1]
[h1]UC plan sees tuition rising up to 16% annually over four years[/h1]
[h2]That top rate will be needed if state funding doesn't grow to help offset costs, officials say. They call the proposal a guideline, but a student leader fears the increase will be locked in.[/h2]

September 15, 2011|By Larry Gordon, Los Angeles Times

Reporting from San Francisco — University of California students could face annual tuition increases of 8% to 16% over the next four years, possibly bringing the fee as high as $22,068 for the 2015-16 school year, according to a long-term budget plan the university unveiled Wednesday.

UC leaders said that the proposal was intended only as a guideline but that it would help students, parents and faculty to plan more realistically. This summer, the state budget crisis resulted in deeper than expected cuts to UC and a second tuition increase just weeks before the school year began.

pixel.gif

"We need stability. We need sustainability. We need to be able to honor our commitments to our students, our employees and certainly our faculty," UC President Mark G. Yudof told the university's regents, who were meeting in San Francisco.

The regents are expected to discuss the proposal Thursday but will not vote on it until November at the earliest. Even if it is endorsed, the board will still decide each year whether to raise tuition for the next year's students.

UC will receive about $2.37 billion in state funding this year, $650 million less than last year. If the funding does not increase to help offset rising costs for pensions, healthcare, energy and salaries, 16% annual tuition hikes are likely, the plan says. If state funds rise 8% annually, tuition increases will be capped at 8%, rising over four years to $16,596, not including campus fees or room and board, the proposal projects. If state funding grows 4%, tuition would rise 12% annually, reaching $19,188 by 2015-16.

After back-to-back tuition boosts totaling more than $1,800 for this fall, UC's undergraduate tuition for California residents stands at $12,192. Room, board and campus fees can bring a student's total costs to about $31,000.

Student leaders and other critics said Wednesday they worried that the plan could give legislators an excuse not to increase funding to the university.

The result could be that four years of 16% tuition raises will be locked in, said Claudia Magana, the UC Santa Cruz student who is president of the systemwide UC Student Assn. "Rather than pressure the state, it could take pressure off," she said.

The proposal also calls for annual enrollment growth of about 1%, or about 2,200 more students each year. It does not specify how many of the additional students would come from out of state and pay the extra fees required of non-Californians. Recent decisions to increase the number of out-of-state students at UC have been controversial.

In an interview, Yudof said the 10-campus UC system needs a multi-year funding agreement with the state even though previous accords fell apart. He also countered critics' contention that he was giving away too much, too soon in the negotiations and said he wanted to avoid repeating what he called the recent budget chaos.

"I would hope the Legislature is interested in not only sustaining the university but making sure that the charges don't go too high," said Yudof, who recently returned to work full time after gallbladder surgery in July.

In other business, a regents committee approved plans for a study comparing the salaries of UC campus chancellors to those of university leaders across the nation. The move is partly a reaction to Gov. Jerry Brown's criticism of the $400,000 salary for the new president of San Diego State — $100,000 more than his predecessor — and Brown's contention that Cal State and UC should promote from within rather than hire expensive out-of-state administrators.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

George Kieffer, vice chairman of the regents' compensation committee, said the study will address public concerns about high salaries and help UC keep talented people. "I want to make sure we are competitive and at the same time make sure we are not overpaying," he said.

The UC board of regents has completely failed the students, the state, and their alumni.  They demand double digit tuition increases every semester from the students and the state, yet cut classes without taking a pay cut themselves.  The endowments for all of the UC's could fully fund the campuses for 2 complete years without any student or state help, yet they don't dare touch those.

Although I probably graduated at the wrong time, Boy am I glad I'm not in UCD now racking up major debt....

The UC system failing FTMFL
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Question, what if one of them had pepper spray of their own and sprayed one of the officers? Seems fair no? 
laugh.gif

i'm very proud of the students that are brave enough to protest like that

They're goin hard @ Berkeley, hope we get some change

Originally Posted by Slow Motion G35

Originally Posted by 951guero

thank god im out of the UC system
QFT
QFTMFT.

I went to UC Davis (c/o 2010) and know EXACTLY where this is. This is definitely an area that is neutral/peaceful, non-disruptive and far enough away from any classrooms/buildings. CANNOT believe 5-0 pulled that off.........
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I just got done burning at my friends place and was walking back to campus to get something to eat when I heard all the sirens. That's crazy

387573_10150385373708149_757318148_8608280_1351544457_n.jpg

"UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza said officers used force out of concern for their own safety after they were surrounded by students."

indifferent.gif
ABSOLUTE BS!!! Do any of these nerdy 5'0 kids snapping pictures look threatening?
indifferent.gif

Tuition in the state of Arizona is shooting through the roof as well. I applaud them for taking a stand against it. 30K a year is
sick.gif

Originally Posted by wcghost

387573_10150385373708149_757318148_8608280_1351544457_n.jpg

"UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza said officers used force out of concern for their own safety after they were surrounded by students."

indifferent.gif
ABSOLUTE BS!!! Do any of these nerdy 5'0 kids snapping pictures look threatening?
indifferent.gif
this is absolutely disgusting.

Originally Posted by 951guero

thank god im out of the UC system

this

but
eek.gif
at that picture. i'm definetely not about that life, but wouldnt mind mobbing on police for something like that. terrible
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom