Can I get a favor? (Previously, Let's discuss the current UC Campus strikes)

The California educational higher education system was started on a very laudable premise. The mission behind the JC/CSU/UC system was that the inability to pay would not stop smart people from getting access to higher education and the WW2 generation, accustomed to achieving big things with small budgets, spent the 1950's and 1960's, mass producing world class institutions of higher learning (the only down side may be architectural, as CSUN, UCSB, UCSC, UCI, San Jose State and San Diego State and any other post WW2 public university in CA, that have 20,000 or more students all look way too similar). The Two flagship Campuses, UCLA and Cal, were improved and expanded and were elevated to elite status.

From the 1940's to the 1970's, California students could take advantage of the most democratic and merocratic education system in history. If you dropped out of HS, you could one day work and take JC classes while doing so and get career training or transfer to a place where you could gt a BA or BS. The CSU system provided good and plentiful and cheap bachelors degrees and masters degrees. Bright students could go to a UC school and got an even better undergraduate education and could pursue their PhD. Most amazing of all is the fact that the two crown jewels of the system, UCLA and Cal, once did not charge for tuition, they only cared about your past academic performance.

The problem is that student populations grew and grew and now the idea is that everyone must go to college and our cash strapped State cannot afford "free" tuition or even extremely low cost tuition. In some ways it is fairly unfair to have have across the board low tuition. Only poor students should get low or no cost tuition charges and the legions of upper middle class and wealthy students should have to pay the full cost of their attendance.

The situation with Cal and UCLA is especially strange because most of the students are not poor and many are very well off and could pay for it out of their's or their own parents' pockets. I felt like I was stealing when I got my Masters at UCLA because I was privileged enough to get an advanced degree at a school that is comprable to most Ivy league schools and yet the tax payers in California are picking up the majority of the tab. My girlfriend, who just got her BA at Cal, felt the same way.

I feel like I would make up for this inequity with a nice alumnus donations but even a school like Cal or UCLA seem to just sequester that sort of money. Instead of using their boutiful alumni giving, instead of means testing and making rich students pay, the UC, CSU and JC leadership would rather keep that endowment money and their mega salaries and instead prefer to sit back and squeeze students and, to a greater extent, tax payers to keep feeding them more money.

It is ironic because so many professors and university administrators love to talk about social justice and yet they are comfortable pinching the working glass guy, who fills up is gas tank, buys a pack of smokes and plays a lotto ticket, all so they can pack their lectures halls with rich kids, who are not even paying more than half of the cost of their being a there.

After this year I'll be out of UCs. Won't stop me from going to protest this though. I believe they're looking to increase our tuition about 80%. That's the same cost as some private colleges
30t6p3b.gif

Should be graduating next year, but because of all this bs and them cutting classes and taking other measures to keep us here longer, I probably won't be graduating until the end of a 5th year.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

The California educational higher education system was started on a very laudable premise. The mission behind the JC/CSU/UC system was that the inability to pay would not stop smart people from getting access to higher education and the WW2 generation, accustomed to achieving big things with small budgets, spent the 1950's and 1960's, mass producing world class institutions of higher learning (the only down side may be architectural, as CSUN, UCSB, UCSC, UCI, San Jose State and San Diego State and any other post WW2 public university in CA, that have 20,000 or more students all look way too similar). The Two flagship Campuses, UCLA and Cal, were improved and expanded and were elevated to elite status.

From the 1940's to the 1970's, California students could take advantage of the most democratic and merocratic education system in history. If you dropped out of HS, you could one day work and take JC classes while doing so and get career training or transfer to a place where you could gt a BA or BS. The CSU system provided good and plentiful and cheap bachelors degrees and masters degrees. Bright students could go to a UC school and got an even better undergraduate education and could pursue their PhD. Most amazing of all is the fact that the two crown jewels of the system, UCLA and Cal, once did not charge for tuition, they only cared about your past academic performance.

The problem is that student populations grew and grew and now the idea is that everyone must go to college and our cash strapped State cannot afford "free" tuition or even extremely low cost tuition. In some ways it is fairly unfair to have have across the board low tuition. Only poor students should get low or no cost tuition charges and the legions of upper middle class and wealthy students should have to pay the full cost of their attendance.

The situation with Cal and UCLA is especially strange because most of the students are not poor and many are very well off and could pay for it out of their's or their own parents' pockets. I felt like I was stealing when I got my Masters at UCLA because I was privileged enough to get an advanced degree at a school that is comprable to most Ivy league schools and yet the tax payers in California are picking up the majority of the tab. My girlfriend, who just got her BA at Cal, felt the same way.

I feel like I would make up for this inequity with a nice alumnus donations but even a school like Cal or UCLA seem to just sequester that sort of money. Instead of using their boutiful alumni giving, instead of means testing and making rich students pay, the UC, CSU and JC leadership would rather keep that endowment money and their mega salaries and instead prefer to sit back and squeeze students and, to a greater extent, tax payers to keep feeding them more money.

It is ironic because so many professors and university administrators love to talk about social justice and yet they are comfortable pinching the working glass guy, who fills up is gas tank, buys a pack of smokes and plays a lotto ticket, all so they can pack their lectures halls with rich kids, who are not even paying more than half of the cost of their being a there.
Wait...what?

I JUST got into Cal Poly Pomona for Grad school.

Got my B.A from CSU San Bernardino....

The CSUs are greatly affected as well but not to the extent of the UCs. I knew people at UCR/UCLA who were freaking out due to these outrageous tuition hikes that seemed
to happen essentially overnight.

Seems like America is a ticking time bomb. Free education and healthcare ftw. Why it can't be done in the US?

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Don't forget about the traps they set for kids to get in.  They use some of the money to upgrade the campus to get the students to come there.  Do students really need suites to sleep in?  Back in the day there were brick dorm rooms with a light, bed and desk.  Sure it's not as nice, but I'm sure most people would take the bare essentials if they knew what kind of slavery this debt would put them in.  Not to mention the luxurious student commons and libraries I see most schools have now and you realize who is actually paying for these.

I'm too militant for this ******. It has become illegal to protest in America. The downfall is not coming soon enough.

it's really pissing me off. i feel useless having just graduated from cal and not being there right now. if it wasn't for work i'd be there.

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

The CSUs are greatly affected as well but not to the extent of the UCs. I knew people at UCR/UCLA who were freaking out due to these outrageous tuition hikes that seemed
so true. i'm at UCR right now and the medschool that was supposed to be open this year (i think) is delayed for another year or two.

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

so true. i'm at UCR right now and the medschool that was supposed to be open this year (i think) is delayed for another year or two.

didnt support this whole occupy movement when it started. once i saw the response to it i got fully behind it.

who the +$%! are those cops hired to protect and serve?! i've been very disappointed by our authorities response to our constitutional right to assemble.

Originally Posted by ONEFORALL

Seems like America is a ticking time bomb. Free education and healthcare ftw. Why it can't be done in the US?

Cause the God damn country is ran by some greedy #*+$*%+#$**+$ concerned about their own agenda and not for the sake and betterment of its own people. 

That pepper spray picture is sick. 

What people don't understand is that the government IS the 1%. Our government is corporatized all the way down to education, food and drug administration to ofcourse the media. Our politicians/congress are millionaires, they are the 1%. "Class warfare" is a media spin. This is the people verses a broken system. OWS is being treated differently from Tea Partyers because the Tea Party is a political party. OWS is threatening to the state because they are not a political party, they cannot be corrupted, they are the people of this country.

Protesting will not work. The system needs a hard reset.

Originally Posted by buggz05

What people don't understand is that the government IS the 1%. Our government is corporatized all the way down to education, food and drug administration to ofcourse the media. Our politicians/congress are millionaires, they are the 1%. "Class warfare" is a media spin. This is the people verses a broken system. OWS is being treated differently from Tea Partyers because the Tea Party is a political party. OWS is threatening to the state because they are not a political party, they cannot be corrupted, they are the people of this country.

The Tea Party was not started by politicians.  It was started by people tired of the bank bailouts, stimulus plans, and auto bailouts.  The only difference between the Tea Party and OWS is that the Tea Party realized that in order to change the system you must be focused and support candidates willing to shake up the status quo.  Once OWS can do both of those, then they will be taken seriously.

that in order to change the system you must be focused and support candidates willing to shake up the status quo
oh you mean like all those dilettantes and thieves who were put in there in the 2010 election? They sure are "shaking things up"

Originally Posted by buggz05

We are the working class and are all slaves to the capitalist class.  Our system is broken and people need to understand and admit to this.  
The demographics of the 1% are not going to change.  It is exclusive to those who are well educated and well networked- the social and economic elite.  These tuition hikes only further reinforce the fact that everyday people cannot make their way into the 1%.  Those at the top own the government through their lobbying, supporting specific campaigns, etc and their decisions are only to better themselves (Instrumentalist Theory
30t6p3b.gif
)  As for the protests, maybe it will make a change.  If nothing else, it is a start.  But bandaids over shotgun wounds will only work for so long.

Back
Top Bottom