Can I get a smart phone without a data plan?

2,331
18
Joined Sep 1, 2011
Yeah I need a new phone and I want a smart phone so I can feel comfortable showing my phone in public especially in front of females.  Phones are a status thing like shoes and cars.  But I don't care about internet, apps, facebook, twitter.  I just need to stunt. So can I use one without a data plan. I ain't paying over $70/month for a phone bill.
 

GTA 809

Supporter
8,487
3,476
Joined Mar 6, 2004
buy full price on craigslist or something
at least BS and say you are always in a wifi area
 
3,948
1,194
Joined Nov 16, 2001
Lamest excuse EVER!

But... you can get a smartphone on ebay without a data plan for about $200.  Just make sure it's not 4G and you're good.  I tried getting an Inspire, but i stuck in my SIM card and they wanted to automatically upgrade my contract.  For what I'm saving, I can just buy a new phone every year.  Besides, I am typically in range of a wifi network so I have no use for a data plan anyways.
 

alchemist iq

Supporter
34,041
41,542
Joined May 12, 2008
Honestly, that's #poor. If your stealing wifi, some is definitely stealing any personal information you do on your phone. I can't stand cheap people. Your not saving your just being cheap.

Typed while using 3G data on my EVO.
 
2,331
18
Joined Sep 1, 2011
huh? I don't wanna use the internet at all, not steal it.  I just want to use the phone,txt, and pics but will Sprint make me add a data plan?
 
7,144
1,149
Joined Aug 23, 2003
i do this in europe and when im in the us. althought I just connect via wifi or connect via mobile data in case of emergency.  

I dont need to have internet access all the time plus its a big distraction. I end up paying less than 3$ a month for phone service only (even though the unlimited data plan is only like 10$ a month here). i dunno how u dudes pay 70+. 

u need to stunt though? at least ur honest.
 
7,001
12
Joined Aug 24, 2009
I had this question when I upgraded my phone and this is what the Verizon rep told me. It changed my mind.

Basically the point of a smartphone is to stay connected to the internet and as such many of the phone's applications and features are linked to the internet. With no data plan, you'd basically be using the smart phone as a dumb phone... like having a V12 car which could only run on 6 cylinders. It's a waste of money and potential.

If you want dumb phone features, get a dumb phone. If you want a smartphone, be prepared to pay more money for the additional features it offers.
 
297
10
Joined Aug 4, 2011
Thats like driving a civic wih a benz body kit. Why bother. Do you still rock those number 05 fubu jerseys ?
 
21,589
7,144
Joined Dec 19, 2006
Originally Posted by MonStar1

Yeah I need a new phone and I want a smart phone so I can feel comfortable showing my phone in public especially in front of females.  Phones are a status thing like shoes and cars.  But I don't care about internet, apps, facebook, twitter.  I just need to stunt. So can I use one without a data plan. I ain't paying over $70/month for a phone bill.
 
2,331
18
Joined Sep 1, 2011
Originally Posted by xhxxkxxdx

Thats like driving a civic wih a benz body kit. Why bother. Do you still rock those number 05 fubu jerseys ?
I'm not into cars.  So yes if I could drive a civic engine/parts with a Benz on the outside I would.  Females wouldn't know the difference

  
 
1,840
493
Joined Jan 4, 2006
Originally Posted by MonStar1

Yeah I need a new phone and I want a smart phone so I can feel comfortable showing my phone in public especially in front of females.  Phones are a status thing like shoes and cars.  But I don't care about internet, apps, facebook, twitter.  I just need to stunt. So can I use one without a data plan. I ain't paying over $70/month for a phone bill.
 
7,001
12
Joined Aug 24, 2009
Originally Posted by MonStar1

I'm not into cars.  So yes if I could drive a civic engine/parts with a Benz on the outside I would.  Females wouldn't know the difference
Each to his own... but you can't do everything for females
 
17
10
Joined Aug 4, 2011
Yes. Im basically at home and school right now where basically im around WiFi. So I use this company called "Simple Mobile" They operate on T-Mobile frequencies. All of their plans are on no-contract. Right now im paying $40 for unlimited text/talk using my HTC Sensation.

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/index.aspx

Very trustworthy company..
 
2,331
18
Joined Sep 1, 2011
Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I'm not into cars.  So yes if I could drive a civic engine/parts with a Benz on the outside I would.  Females wouldn't know the difference
Each to his own... but you can't do everything for females

  
I don't but everybody has certain stuff they value.  Like I would never wear take down versions of signature shoes or stuff like Air Wavy because I'd rather have the real shoe.  As for a car or phone I just dont care but they are status symbols so I'll go with the flow.
 

alchemist iq

Supporter
34,041
41,542
Joined May 12, 2008
Op stop putting the p on pedestal. Showing off to females, is not something you'll wana waste money on. Yea its part of your image, but heavily doing things to attract girls with items isn't gonna get you far in smashing p (not saying you don't have p game) but its worthless.
 
2,331
18
Joined Sep 1, 2011
Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Op stop putting the p on pedestal. Showing off to females, is not something you'll wana waste money on. Yea its part of your image, but heavily doing things to attract girls with items isn't gonna get you far in smashing p (not saying you don't have p game) but its worthless.
A grown man can't have a  LG Rumor 2. Its not about showing off its about showing you aren't struggling.


  
 
Top Bottom