Can we at least all agree that religion should not mix with politics?

I'll tell you one thing and y'all can clown on me all y'all want,but it stings when people say religion should be extinct and make it seem like people who believe in a God are from the stone age when just 2 years ago its what got me through a situation in which my baby nephew was born with a condition called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. Going to church and praying relaxed me and made me believe that the situation would improve, fortunately it did. I'm a hypocrite because previously I didn't pray or go to church all that much, I accept it the same way I would someone who doesn't believe in religion at all.

The reason its disturbing is because why lump every religious person into one group? I'm not Christian but, is it really fair to wish the extinction of all religions because "them damn Christians are always pounding on my door in the morning"?

Its true that there are many arguments regarding what is the true religion, or like you said, which is the right path, but I'm willing to bet that 9,999 times out 10,000, its just that, only an argument. Just because of that one bozo who believes who ever is not X religion deserves to be stoned to death, is it fair for us common religious folk to be put in the same group as them? And that "we" are the reason religion shouldn't exist?
I find it funny and ironic you use stone age... seeing that if we were strictly religious and didn't use tangibles such as science etc... that we would probably be living a primitive "stone age" type society... I mean ppl were viewed and seen as devils/anti religious for believing the world wasn't flat, as well as other advances that lead us to where we are now.

Did a local Indian leader not tell his village to rape a young women because age dated a dude of another religion? We're they not Indian? Did they not do it with little to no repercussions amount the village? So isn't that as much Indian culture as what goes on in [bombay] oh wait, like everything else were suppose to be selective and 'cut the cancer' from the rest of their culture, even though that culture represents a lot of small villages I'm those areas?

Picking and choosing.

I'll tell you one thing and y'all can clown on me all y'all want,but it stings when people say religion should be extinct and make it seem like people who believe in a God are from the stone age when just 2 years ago its what got me through a situation in which my baby nephew was born with a condition called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. Going to church and praying relaxed me and made me believe that the situation would improve, fortunately it did. I'm a hypocrite because previously I didn't pray or go to church all that much, I accept it the same way I would someone who doesn't believe in religion at all.

The reason its disturbing is because why lump every religious person into one group? I'm not Christian but, is it really fair to wish the extinction of all religions because "them damn Christians are always pounding on my door in the morning"?

Its true that there are many arguments regarding what is the true religion, or like you said, which is the right path, but I'm willing to bet that 9,999 times out 10,000, its just that, only an argument. Just because of that one bozo who believes who ever is not X religion deserves to be stoned to death, is it fair for us common religious folk to be put in the same group as them? And that "we" are the reason religion shouldn't exist?
I can understand praying helping an individual. It's kind of like a therapy session, letting it all out I assume. It's similar to meditation as well. 

Do what you have to do to make yourself feel happy/comfortable. 

However, I know you said nothing about this, but I feel a lot of people pray because they feel that's what this higher being wants. I know plenty of people who have the attitude of, it may be wrong, but if it's right I'll be good later on. Seems like a sucker mentality to me at least. 

I just can't get down with any religion that says what we do is right, anything else is wrong. Religion preaches all this love, and acceptance, and all that, but the second you follow another path you are doomed. Seems like a huge gigantic contradiction to me. You can say you accept all, but ultimately you are following one path, a path that says other things are wrong. And when you say that one bozo who says you will be stoned to death because you don't follow a specific religion, no that's not true. These holy books are saying specifically you will get punished in ways unimaginable if you don't follow it. It's not one bozo, it's the text itself.

Religion to me is obviously man made in order to control/organize people. Similar to law. It's also an obvious result of human curiosity. It makes sense to me. No "higher being" worthy of any sort of worship would say something so concrete like that. It makes no sense. When I say you, I don't mean you specifically. 

But who cares. If praying helps you get along with life, keep doing. Simple. If not believing helps you get along with life, keep doing it. Simple as that. Convos like these are always interesting though. 

Last edited:
I know... PERSONALLY KNOW... forget all this 'over there' and 'I heard'... I PERSONALLY KNOW God-fearing, gun-toting, Barack hating people who agree that forced sex upon your wife is NOT rape, that you can't 'rape' someone God gave you for sex.

It isn't in America either. http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/...ginia-congressional-race-marital-rape-remarks (BTW THAT GUY IS STILL A SENATOR.)

In fact, rape can't cause pregnancies either. http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...-legitimate-rape-rarely-causes-pregnancy?lite

Come on, man

:smh:

Relax. I'm just throwing out what I read.

I won't clown you, because I don't even know how to approach you.
?

I'm Catholic, even though its based on Christianity, a Catholic doesn't call him/herself a Christian, whatever. So go ahead ridicule me, doesn't matter.

I find it funny and ironic you use stone age... seeing that if we were strictly religious and didn't use tangibles such as science etc... that we would probably be living a primitive "stone age" type society... I mean ppl were viewed and seen as devils/anti religious for believing the world wasn't flat, as well as other advances that lead us to where we are now.

Ok, I didn't believe that religion and religion only would cure him. The doctors and science did. Theres doctors and science even in third world countries. Once again, people who do believe only religion will cure an illness are rare, everyone goes to the doctor and prays that they may find a cure, why should this cause outrage from a non-believing person?. Does that really warrant an atheist's hate for religion and their desire for it to dissapear.

Did a local Indian leader not tell his village to rape a young women because age dated a dude of another religion? We're they not Indian? Did they not do it with little to no repercussions amount the village? So isn't that as much Indian culture as what goes on in [bombay] oh wait, like everything else were suppose to be selective and 'cut the cancer' from the rest of their culture, even though that culture represents a lot of small villages I'm those areas?

Picking and choosing.

So the actions of some = culture?

You just compared villages to one of the most populous cities on earth.

What exactly is Indian culture? I'm pretty certain the Hindus and Buddhists and Muslims over there aren't all on the same wavelength. The diversity in India is mind blowing. You're telling me Buddhists are out here condoning rape now?

I won't clown you, because I don't even know how to approach you.
?
I'm Catholic, even though its based on Christianity, a Catholic doesn't call him/herself a Christian, whatever. So go ahead ridicule me, doesn't matter.
Nah, I meant it when I said I wasn't clowning you.

Like I said, I was confused.

So you're Catholic. Awesome. Being Catholic is nothing to ridicule. I disagree w/ it, but that doesn't mean you have to give it up or should give it up or I'll clown you if you continue. Means we believe different. No biggie.

Ideally, religion represents a standard we should live by, but more often than not this "holier than thou" attitude (no pun intended) is the cause of injustice and crime. As mentioned earlier, segregation originated from Southern Baptists, women are grossly mistreated in countries that follow Islam, and gays are denied civil rights by Christians in the U.S as well as many other countries. All because of religious principles that people adhere to.
Ok, I didn't believe that religion and religion only would cure him. The doctors and science did. Theres doctors and science even in third world countries. Once again, people who do believe only religion will cure an illness are rare, everyone goes to the doctor and prays that they may find a cure, why should this cause outrage from a non-believing person?. Does that really warrant an atheist's hate for religion and their desire for it to dissapear.

There are people (such as Ken Ham) who believe science should be removed from the curriculum and creationism should be taught. Now, I'm sure you're not alone in your train of thought, but there are people out there who vehemently deny ideas of science even though virtually any and everything we own and/or use is a product of science. This is EXTREMELY destructive and counterproductive to all the research conducted throughout the existence of humanity. We wouldn't be where we are today without the cure to the flu, modern medicine, cars, etc. if it were not for science - and to suggest that we should go back to an era where no one dare questioned "God" and accept that the world is the way it is because of him is a frightening proposition.

but religious ppl are in a since deviating from there strong beliefs daily and throughout time because of this non religious scientific discoveries and facts... Please believe religious ppl were against the idea of things such as the world not being flat, electricity etc... it just got to the point to which religious ppl placed their strong beliefs on hold because they could no longer deny the truths and facts...and saw the positives and benefits some of these advances brought to mankind.

the same things will occur once stem cell research is advanced... all these ppl who are against it saying man is playing god etc... will tell their "higher power" to take a backseat the second that this so called "god playing" can save their lives, repair damages etc to a loved one etc... so on and so forth.

As far as you not believing only religion and only religion is the be it all end all.... that is due to irrefutable facts and the age of time you live in. Had you lived in those times you would, just like all the other religious ppl believe that way as well because there wouldn't be an alternative except death.

Religion despite the teachings etc... hasn't changed since those so called "stone age" times, there hasn't been a single update issued out from any higher being... its just as things come undeniable and beneficial and convenient for those that are religious, they have decided to alter, interpret and view said scriptures differently etc.... to accommodate the facts and advances being made throughout time and for those to still hold on to their religious beliefs.  

facts science etc... is evolving and ever changing and making advances daily... religion is not... its just religious ppl are viewing, altering and throwing clauses and interpreting religious laws and beliefs differently to justify going against said religious principles in order to reap the benefits/advances science facts etc discoveries bring to all.

spirituality trumps religion everytime. We're all spiritual by nature. The sad thing is that the majority of people believe they have to practice a religion in order to be in tune with their spiritually.

Its one of the most obvious examples of brainwashing there is.

but religious ppl are in a since deviating from there strong beliefs daily and throughout time because of this non religious scientific discoveries and facts... Please believe religious ppl were against the idea of things such as the world not being flat, electricity etc... it just got to the point to which religious ppl placed their strong beliefs on hold because they could no longer deny the truths and facts...and saw the positives and benefits some of these advances brought to mankind.

the same things will occur once stem cell research is advanced... all these ppl who are against it saying man is playing god etc... will tell their "higher power" to take a backseat the second that this so called "god playing" can save their lives, repair damages etc to a loved one etc... so on and so forth.

As far as you not believing only religion and only religion is the be it all end all.... that is due to irrefutable facts and the age of time you live in. Had you lived in those times you would, just like all the other religious ppl believe that way as well because there wouldn't be an alternative except death.

Religion despite the teachings etc... hasn't changed since those so called "stone age" times, there hasn't been a single update issued out from any higher being... its just as things come undeniable and beneficial and convenient for those that are religious, they have decided to alter, interpret and view said scriptures differently etc.... to accommodate the facts and advances being made throughout time and for those to still hold on to their religious beliefs.  

facts science etc... is evolving and ever changing and making advances daily... religion is not... its just religious ppl are viewing, altering and throwing clauses and interpreting religious laws and beliefs differently to justify going against said religious principles in order to reap the benefits/advances science facts etc discoveries bring to all.

Lets face it, most people aren't that smart. When these scientific breakthroughs occur, even the non-believing are iffy and confused about it. Take cloning as an example. It wouldn't feel right even if I was atheist. But then i think about the good this could bring, such as cloning healthy organs and I realize the good it can bring. I don't consider myself a genius or anything, but most don't think through things that far. Shortsighted people are the majority, doesn't matter if they are religious or not.

As contradictory as it sounds, I don't think a person's religion should be condemned simply because they chose to "thank God for finding the cure" when science and this breakthrough was the reason this cure was able to happen which was probably the same person that didn't agree with cloning in the first place.

Lets face it, most people aren't that smart. When these scientific breakthroughs occur, even the non-believing are iffy and confused about it. Take cloning as an example. It wouldn't feel right even if I was atheist. But then i think about the good this could bring, such as cloning healthy organs and I realize the good it can bring. I don't consider myself a genius or anything, but most don't think through things that far. Shortsighted people are the majority, doesn't matter if they are religious or not.

As contradictory as it sounds, I don't think a person's religion should be condemned simply because they chose to "thank God for finding the cure" when science and this breakthrough was the reason this cure was able to happen which was probably the same person that didn't agree with cloning in the first place.
but the thing is if it wasn't for these non believers and those decided to go against the grain over time non of these discoveries etc would even be possible. again like I said earlier ppl where being stoned and killed just for thinking the world wasn't flat because religion dictated that it was. granted we have evolved from that... but that was largely due to non believers and ppl who risked their lives, their family lives etc... to make these said discoveries which lead to where we are today.

in a sense it comes across as disingenuous, phony and hypocritical to condemn, cast aspersions, etc... on said man or discredit him in the name of religion, then when it deems beneficial to you, work it, alter beliefs etc so it becomes acceptable and deemed religiously ok.  

like I said earlier ppl for yrs and even now... pretty much all religions say it is wrong to try to play god...yet if man "plays god" and does something like recreate life, clone body parts etc.... those same religious ppl who condemn it will be first in line to reap the rewards/benefits of said discoveries and alter and interpret said religious beliefs to justify it. Thing is the religion, the words, the beliefs never changed, just ppl seeing the undeniable facts and truths.. and working, altering the religions/faiths/beliefs so they can coincide with them.  

The thing I've never understood about religion and god is that it's perfectly acceptable by society to believe and worship it.. It truly, truly amazes me... People that believe in aliens, ufos, and abductions are ridiculed because of their lack of evidence... Yet I've never seen a shred of evidence supporting the existence of a god...

I'll even say this... The fact that the idea of religion even exists, makes me doubt the future of the human species... The fact the people dedicate their entire lives to it, makes me realize how stupid people are... And a society full of stupid people doesn't last...

And that's the single biggest reason religion offends me: I'm offended by stupid people..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom