Can you get by in Hong Kong without knowing Chinese?

causeway bay
pimp.gif

stanley_beach_3.JPG

stanley_beach_2.JPG
stanley beach

victoria_peak_view_1.JPG

victoria_peak_view_2.JPG

p183388-Hong_Kong-Lantau_Island.jpg
127397282_9059be2cdb.jpg
lantau island

b.jpg
tuen mun my hometown

Clearwater_fig1.jpg
clearwater bay, located on the outskirts of HK island

Ocean-Park_Cable_Car_01.jpg
ocean park
p178889-Hong_Kong-Ocean_Park.jpg

8640937.jpg
lo tik wan, near the airport.

336437.jpg
nathan road mong kok... a treasury for rare jays. picked up a pair of OGDS playoff 13's here last summer REAL too for only 175.

610x.jpg
kobe in mong kok.

6066851.jpg
laguna city

6018418.jpg
daguilar peninsula

1233607.jpg
view from tsim tsa tsui

hong kong >>>>>>>>>>>> your favorite city.

735826.jpg

LanKwaiFong.jpg

lan kwai fong. aunt lives above here.

MidLevelsEscalators_IMG_8973_w600.jpg

MOVE TO HOLLAND

100% English speaking. I've never met a broad who didn't know basic English because it's taught madatory in school. The hotter the girls, thestupider and that means they did poorly in English class.
Germany... not so much. ze-ro english

Cyprus is also 100% English as well as Russian.
Russian ladies + Cyprian ladies + Greek ladies + Turkish ladies + med weather + tourists + english speaking = sweet.

Pragmatically speaking Holland is your best choice. You can go anywhere in Europe via train (buy a railpass for a few hundred euros). Dutch people are superfriendly and always willing to help. Prostitues, drugs, canals, windmills. Whatever ya into hahah.

If you are doing some sort of school, almost every major city has English programs in the Uni.

Oh....and legal weed/hash > Chinese food and azn girls. (sorry ricky
smokin.gif
)

Get at me if you want me to point ya in the right direction. A few dutch heads on this board as well.
pimp.gif

Thanks for the pics. Definite next international trip has to be HK with a week after in Japan on the way back. Got family in both places and they assure meCantonese isn't necessary as they don't speak it at all and have been there for years. I can get by with my Japanese skills so that's not a problemeither. The JR in Japan isn't that bad as long as you use jorudan.

Hong Kong looks dope, if I were to go somewhere in Asia that'd be my destination. I have a couple Filipino friends trying to convince me to check out thePhilippines with them but I don't see anything that would make me want to spend money there over HK (besides being cheaper?).

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

Originally Posted by FreshOne12

Originally Posted by timbo109

America>

/Thread
pimp.gif
eat a @+@+. we be ballin in hong kong. u dont see trailer trash cars like fords, gmc, cadillacs etc. all luxury rides over there in HK.
Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

why would you choose hk?
1. it looks cool
2. I want to live in a different country for a few years
3. I like Asian chicks

Me personally, I refuse to make a decision on where I want to live by the cars that people drive, how "cool" the city looks, or how hot the chicksare. Unless your driving that luxury car, who cares what everyone else is driving. Many cities look "cool". And good looking women are everywhere.I'm not knocking HK (or the fact that you want to move to a different country in general) at all, but the reason's listed above are not reason to movethere, IMO.

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

Originally Posted by FreshOne12

Originally Posted by timbo109

America>

/Thread
pimp.gif
eat a @+@+. we be ballin in hong kong. u dont see trailer trash cars like fords, gmc, cadillacs etc. all luxury rides over there in HK.
first of all no! secondly are you upset doggie?
embarassed.gif
Chill b, Im saying though, like 80% of NT is there, all $%@@#@** aside this is the land of the free and a good country to live in. bottom line. thats whypeople from all over the world are here.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JordanHead2

My cousin's friend is backpacking throughout Asia and I know for a fact that she doesn't know any Asian language except for Tagalog.
what does chin chow lei, ni how ma means?
roll.gif
roll.gif

op listed some great reasons to move to a completely foreign country

no job and no one that you know over there makes it all the more reason to go

Originally Posted by the north west

op listed some great reasons to move to a completely foreign country

no job and no one that you know over there makes it all the more reason to go

well the thing is I want it to be a sort of mystery. If I fit in right away there's not much of a thrill.

Good luck to you bruva, I'm thinking about heading out to live in Korea.... How would a black man living in Seoul get along out there?
laugh.gif

I'm thinking about doing this also, but being a half *%# speaking asian will not be a good look.

Dang aubstuh86, those pics brought back some good memories hahha

Dude, Ocean Park is complete trash hahha
All the rides, besides like 1 or 2, are lame as hell
laugh.gif

The line's for those rides aren't long too since people are afraid to go on,
I remember this one dude almost fainted getting off
laugh.gif

But they had Giant Panda's
pimp.gif

HK is a great place to be.

My best friend actually lives there.

But unless you are from a ballin' family or have ballin' friends there. You will feel a bit left out!

And yes you can get around w/ english only!

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

Dang aubstuh86, those pics brought back some good memories hahha

Dude, Ocean Park is complete trash hahha
All the rides, besides like 1 or 2, are lame as hell
laugh.gif

The line's for those rides aren't long too since people are afraid to go on,
I remember this one dude almost fainted getting off
laugh.gif

But they had Giant Panda's
pimp.gif
at least ocean park is still better than disneyland. HK disneyland blows major balls. i like that elevator ride in ocean park, where u can seethe entire HK ocean peninsula,and the two roller coasters by the mountain. the pandas and the aquarium is sweet too. god damn i miss HK

Originally Posted by DL2352

Originally Posted by anticop23

transportation is relative expensive (compare to local standards), pretty cheap compare to other countries. it can get you everywhere. on average on MTR, two to three stations will cost you like $ 6-10 HKD (compare this to food in HK, a bowl of noodle is like $ 10-20).

the only expensive part in HK is transportation/ living, food is damn cheap. i also use the Mcdonld standard: ice cream cones in HK are $ 2.50 HKD (use to be $ 2), compare to Canada, where i live is $ 1.50 CDN = $ 9 HKD.

but if you only know english, stick with the MTR for transportation. if u run into problems in MTR, ask the MTR station workers, they are super courteous and helpful. and yes you might get lost in the MTR, due to many lines (like 5-10 lines) and transferring to a different line in the transfer stations can be difficult.
MTR is the best transportation system I've ever used. It's so convenient and I really didn't find it that expensive at all. Hong Kong has this thing called the Octopus card where you deposit money onto it and you can use it to swipe for the trains or to use at like 7-Eleven's and stuff. You want a difficult and confusing transportation system? Try Japan's JR
laugh.gif
^ HK transportation is expensive 'relative' to HK food. the key word is 'relative/ or in comparison'. but HK transportation ischeap and efficient compare to other countries.
you know what HK locals complain about to their government when there is a recession, its always something related to how expensive transportation or housingis.

The Octopus card: it is just a card for the "convenience" factor. although paying with the Octo, card is often cheaper than buying single one waytickets.

but yes i will have to agree with you on Japan's rail system, it's even better and more complicated.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

MOVE TO HOLLAND
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

brett said holland LOL, uknow it was fun over there for a few days, but damn... i think outside of amsterdam every where in holland close shop at 6pm!!!?!

some days i dont even have had late lunch yet by that time, we 247 son

i gotta admit tho getting greenery any where on the street is dope, gotta talk to SAMSON!
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

HK is a great place to be.

My best friend actually lives there.

But unless you are from a ballin' family or have ballin' friends there. You will feel a bit left out!

And yes you can get around w/ english only!
Not necessarily true but not completely false either.
laugh.gif
My dad's side of the family over there is pretty damn rich. Two story penthouseapartments in some rich area (forget the name). HK, as a city, definitely opens up a bit more if you're well connected or have money.

One of my dad's friends over there owns an actual HOUSE!
eek.gif
He ownssome kind of manufacturing/design company that works with Carhartt and Quicksilver (those are the ones I remember off top.)

Here's the guy's whip. Phantom Coupe Convertible. Not sure if there are more in HK now but when he showed me his car, it was one of two in the city.

2965904125_93c0e96756_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom