Car Question: Coolant Fluid Dirty...

So I dont remember when the last time I changed my Coolant Fluid was... but recently my coolant light came on... would that make the car overheat? I thought itwas the fans for the engine that were messed up and they were they weren't turning on and got that fixed but then I realized that the coolant fluid mightbe the problem because the coolant light came on again... Change the fluid?

ADD COOLANT TO PROPER LEVEL IN OVERFLOW TANK OR RADIATOR....IF THE LIGHT STAYS ON OR COMES BACK ON YOU HAVE A LEAK...OR THE COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR (OR WIRING)HAS A PROBLEM....SEEMS MORE TO ME LIKE YOU HAVE A LEAK THAT NEEDS PRESSURE TESTED TO BE DETECTED.....

WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE AND ENGINE?

Yes change it.
It's what cools the car.
If that's its job, obviously, it could cause the overheating if it isn't working.
If that doesn't work, radiator?

4.5 IS VERRY SIMILAR TO THE 4.9 ENGINE.... ME PERSONALLY WOULD ADD COOLANT TO SEE IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT. IF IT DOES, KEEP AN EYE ON IT AND IF THE LIGHT STAYSOUT JUST DRIVE IT. IF IT COMES BACK ON, LETS SAY WITHIN A WEEK, TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND HAVE IT PRESSURE TESTED FOR A LEAK. CADILLAC ENGINES REQUIRE SPECIALCOOLING SYSTEM TABS ADDED TO THE COOLANT BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS ALL ALUMINUM. SOME MANUFACTURE'S USE THIS TO LESSEN THE PORSITY IN THE ENGINE AND HELPREDUCE THE CREATION OF LEAKS.

ARE THERE ANY PUDDLES OR COOLANT SMELL WHEN ENGINE RUNNING?

A WAY TO DETECT A HEAD GASKET PROBLEM IS TO SEE IF THE ENGINE OIL IS MILKY COLORED OR REMOVE THE OIL CAP AND LOOK INSIDE THE ENGINE FOR THE MILKY COLORED OIL.

ANTHOER WAY IS TO RUN THE CAR WITH THE RESERVIOR CAP REMOVED AND LOOK FOR AIR COMMING FROM IT...IF SO...EITHER AIR IN THE SYSTEM (WICH WILL MAKE YOUR CAR RUNHOT) OR HEAD GASKET LEAK LETTING COMBUSTION GASSES INTO THE COOLING PASSAGES.

ANY MORE QUESTIONS ILL BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU MY INPUT....(ASE CERT BTW)

I own a cadillac catera 98' and i've been having a similar problem as of late, however i replaced the coolant and the light has gone off. However theheat level is now regularly rising past the 1/2 way point to the 3/4 heat level. What are these tabs you speak of?

^^^ NOT TRYING TO INSULT URE CAR OR ANYTHING...BUT THE CATERA IS THE BIGGEST POS THAT CADDILLAC EVER CREATED, NEXT TO THE 4100 HT...ON THE HAND OF GETTINGHOT....CHECK COOLANT LEVEL...IF LOW...ADD TO PROPER LEVEL.....DOES IT GET HOT MOSTLY WHILE DRIVING...IDLE...HOT DAYS...COLD DAYS? (MORE SYMPTOMS)

THESE ARE THE AC-DELCO COOLANT SYSTEM TABS

78f15f4fc804552f268bc7697640cba2aead408.pjpg

Originally Posted by jd3772000

4.5 IS VERRY SIMILAR TO THE 4.9 ENGINE.... ME PERSONALLY WOULD ADD COOLANT TO SEE IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT. IF IT DOES, KEEP AN EYE ON IT AND IF THE LIGHT STAYS OUT JUST DRIVE IT. IF IT COMES BACK ON, LETS SAY WITHIN A WEEK, TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND HAVE IT PRESSURE TESTED FOR A LEAK. CADILLAC ENGINES REQUIRE SPECIAL COOLING SYSTEM TABS ADDED TO THE COOLANT BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS ALL ALUMINUM. SOME MANUFACTURE'S USE THIS TO LESSEN THE PORSITY IN THE ENGINE AND HELP REDUCE THE CREATION OF LEAKS.

A WAY TO DETECT A HEAD GASKET PROBLEM IS TO SEE IF THE ENGINE OIL IS MILKY COLORED OR REMOVE THE OIL CAP AND LOOK INSIDE THE ENGINE FOR THE MILKY COLORED OIL.

ANTHOER WAY IS TO RUN THE CAR WITH THE RESERVIOR CAP REMOVED AND LOOK FOR AIR COMMING FROM IT...IF SO...EITHER AIR IN THE SYSTEM (WICH WILL MAKE YOUR CAR RUN HOT) OR HEAD GASKET LEAK LETTING COMBUSTION GASSES INTO THE COOLING PASSAGES.

Well the coolant fluid is FULL... but the color is brownish and looks dirty...

do you always have to flush old coolant when putting in new coolant? I noticed on the containers of coolant, they say to flush the old coolant and then add newcoolant. is this necessary, because I just add new coolant to the old one without flushing it. the old coolant wasn't dirty or anything, so I didn'tbother...do you have to flush out the old?

Originally Posted by OwensStr8Clownin

4.5 IS VERRY SIMILAR TO THE 4.9 ENGINE.... ME PERSONALLY WOULD ADD COOLANT TO SEE IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT. IF IT DOES, KEEP AN EYE ON IT AND IF THE LIGHT STAYS OUT JUST DRIVE IT. IF IT COMES BACK ON, LETS SAY WITHIN A WEEK, TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND HAVE IT PRESSURE TESTED FOR A LEAK. CADILLAC ENGINES REQUIRE SPECIAL COOLING SYSTEM TABS ADDED TO THE COOLANT BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS ALL ALUMINUM. SOME MANUFACTURE'S USE THIS TO LESSEN THE PORSITY IN THE ENGINE AND HELP REDUCE THE CREATION OF LEAKS.

ANTHOER WAY IS TO RUN THE CAR WITH THE RESERVIOR CAP REMOVED AND LOOK FOR AIR COMMING FROM IT...IF SO...EITHER AIR IN THE SYSTEM (WICH WILL MAKE YOUR CAR RUN HOT) OR HEAD GASKET LEAK LETTING COMBUSTION GASSES INTO THE COOLING PASSAGES.

then you need a radiator flush

Originally Posted by minah86

do you always have to flush old coolant when putting in new coolant? I noticed on the containers of coolant, they say to flush the old coolant and then add new coolant. is this necessary, because I just add new coolant to the old one without flushing it. the old coolant wasn't dirty or anything, so I didn't bother...do you have to flush out the old?
if you're just topping off the coolant in the res. then no you don't need to flush the old coolant

Originally Posted by select127

Radiator flush? Haven't heard of that... well I was thinking it was going to be a Coolant Liquid Flush and re-fill..

Originally Posted by select127

Radiator flush? Haven't heard of that... well I was thinking it was going to be a Coolant Liquid Flush and re-fill..
its basically the same thing, take the car to a quick lube shop and have them do it. they hook up a machine to your radiator and engine block whichpushes the new fluid in while all the old fluid goes out.

do you always have to flush old coolant when putting in new coolant? I noticed on the containers of coolant, they say to flush the old coolant and then add new coolant. is this necessary, because I just add new coolant to the old one without flushing it. the old coolant wasn't dirty or anything, so I didn't bother...do you have to flush out the old?

YOU BETTER BE FLUSHING OUT THE OLD...AND WITH THE PROPER MIX OF COOLANT AND WATER...SOLID COOLANT IS CONCENTRATED AND NEEDS TO BE PRE-MIXED WITH WATER TOHAVE THE PROPER COOLING SYSTEM PROTECTION....HENCE THE WORD ANTI-FREEZE... MORE WATER THAN COOLANT TENDS TO MAKE THE MIXTURE HAVE LESS PROTECTION IN COLDWEATHER..ETC...ETC...

IF THE LIGHT IS ON...THERES 2 DIFFERENT LIGHTS....TEMPERATUE, AND LOW COOLANT LIGHT....WICH ONE IS IT?

AND BTW...SOMETIMES FLUSHING COOLANT THATS VERRY OLD WILL CAUSE A LEAK....WHY? BECAUSE URE FLUSHING OUT ALL THE OLD SEDIMENTS IN THE COOLING SYSTEM...ANDSOMETIMES THOSE SEDIMENTS COULD BE KEEPING A LEAK FROM FORMING....ONCE THEIR WASHED AWAY BASICALLY....THEN YOUR GONNA HAVE A LEAK WHEREVER THOSE SEDIMENTSWERE.......JUST FYI...

YOU BETTER BE FLUSHING OUT THE OLD...AND WITH THE PROPER MIX OF COOLANT AND WATER...SOLID COOLANT IS CONCENTRATED AND NEEDS TO BE PRE-MIXED WITH WATER TO HAVE THE PROPER COOLING SYSTEM PROTECTION....HENCE THE WORD ANTI-FREEZE... MORE WATER THAN COOLANT TENDS TO MAKE THE MIXTURE HAVE LESS PROTECTION IN COLD WEATHER..ETC...ETC...

IF THE LIGHT IS ON...THERES 2 DIFFERENT LIGHTS....TEMPERATUE, AND LOW COOLANT LIGHT....WICH ONE IS IT?

AND BTW...SOMETIMES FLUSHING COOLANT THATS VERRY OLD WILL CAUSE A LEAK....WHY? BECAUSE URE FLUSHING OUT ALL THE OLD SEDIMENTS IN THE COOLING SYSTEM...AND SOMETIMES THOSE SEDIMENTS COULD BE KEEPING A LEAK FROM FORMING....ONCE THEIR WASHED AWAY BASICALLY....THEN YOUR GONNA HAVE A LEAK WHEREVER THOSE SEDIMENTS WERE.......JUST FYI...

It's The Coolant Temp Light.. and it goes on stays on then off and on... and then the Engine Temp light goes on and the warning chimes beep.. but thenthe engine light goes off...

OK...WELL THE CONDITION OF THE COOLANT IS A SIGNIFICANT PROPERTY OF THE COOLING SYSTEM. SINCE THE TEMPERATURE IS GOING UP, SUSPECT THERMOSTAT STUCK CLOSE, AIRIN THE COOLING SYSTEM, BLOWN HEAD OR INTAKE GASKET, FAULTY WATER PUMP (INTERNALLY), CRACKED HEAD AND/OR BLOCK, VERY RARELY CLOGGED RADIATOR....

IM SUSPECTING THERMOSTAT FIRST BECAUSE THIS IS THE MOST NEGLECTED THINGS IN COOLING SYSTEM OTHER THAN THE CONDITION OF THE COOLANT

DOES IT SEEM LIKE IT TAKES A LONG TIME FOR THE HEAT TO GET WARM OR DOES IT NOT GET WARM AT ALL?

have a shop or a mechanic check your thermostat if its the temp light you dont know how much of a pain that damn thermostat causes if its stuck.

Back
Top Bottom