Charlie Davies in Serious Car Accident.. 1 dead

http://www.24thminute.com...and-sochaux-striker.html

http://www.nbcwashington....y-Accident-64073357.html

The accident happened at approximately 3:15 a.m. Tuesday. Police spokesman Sgt. David Schlosser told News4 that it looks like the SUV struck the metal railing of the bridge that carries the parkway over Boundary Channel Drive.

Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, Md., died on the scene, said Schlosser, who added that he did not have further information on the two survivors in the crash, who were brought to the Washington Hospital Center MedStar Unit in serious condition.

UPDATE: Grant Wahl is reporting that the surgery will last about 90 more minutes (3:20 p.m. EDT) and that Davies was the only USMNT player involved.

UPDATE: Sadly, Goff is reporting that U.S. officials are saying that his injuries are "possibly" career ending.

frown.gif
frown.gif

UPDATE: US soccer officials are pulling back from earlier statements about the possibility of Davies' injuriesbeing career threatening.

Oh man, that's terrible. Obviously condolences to the family of the Ashley Roberta and I hope Davies survives. Kid had a bright future too.

This news ruined my morning. When my friend told me about 20 minutes ago, I was expecting a few broken bones. Then I read "possibly career-ending"and that a passenger had died and my heart stopped. And now I'm seeing the pics of the vehicle (are those real?) and I can't believe he is even alive.He was one of my favorite guys on the USMNT. My prayers are definitely with him, his family, Ashley Roberta's family, and the other passenger and hisfamily.

Sidenote: I hope this wasn't a drunk driving accident, but my gut is telling me it was. A one-car accident at 3:15 in the morning? When are we all going tolearn?

Damn, dude had a bright future and was just hitting his stride with the US national team. Probably would've been on their 2010 WC squad.

I really hope it's not a drunk driving related accident, because that really upsets me, when will people learn?

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Damn, dude had a bright future and was just hitting his stride with the US national team. Probably would've been on their 2010 WC squad.

This just ruined my day. He was becoming one of my favorite players on the team.
frown.gif

Man I hope he ends up alright.

RIP. he's lucky to have survived, but if it were as some suspect, a dd accident, whoever survived/was driving is going to have to deal with the guilt ofhaving lost someone in the same car. tough.

think this is the one who didn't make it:

pic.php

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

word. glad he survived at least.

RIP to the girl

unbelievable. he had a chance to be the best player on the USA national team. getting regular burn on a mid level european team, not a whole lot of otheramericans getting that kind of playing time. damn. he was a stud too, such a bright future.

Originally Posted by BishopDS

seems photoshopped
It does look like it in those pics, but:

U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser said there were three people in the car and that Roberta was not the driver. Davies was also not driving, police told the USSF, according to the Washington Post.

Davies and another passenger were taken to Washington Hospital Center, one by land and one by helicopter, Schlosser said.

"The car was pretty much split in half," Schlosser said, according to the Post.

eek.gif
JESUS CHRIST

I was wondering what the backup was on the parkway this morning....I go in the opposite direction to get to work, but everything else was at a standstill onthe other side....everything was clear this afternoon....

RIP

Jesus. I really hope Davies can get back on the field after that. RIP to the girl that died, damn shame
tired.gif

RIP to the girl who died.

Like many said, Davies future was very bright so lets hope he can recover.

I don't know the extent, but being an Arsenal fan I have hope from Eduardo's injury that Davies might be able to perform at the top level again.

I got to see him play for the first time a couple months ago in Foxboro, Ma when the US tied Haiti 2-2 in the gold cup.

He came off the bench as a sub and really stood out above everyone else on the field.

U.S. MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM FORWARD CHARLIE DAVIES OUT OF SUGERY AND IN SERIOUS BUT STABLE CONDITION

Davies Suffered Broken Tibia and Femur, Elbow Fracture and Laceration of Bladder

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Oct. 13, 2009) - U.S. National Soccer Team forward Charlie Davies is in serious but stable condition and resting following several hours ofsurgery at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. to treat injuries suffered in a one-car accident on the George Washington Parkway early Tuesdaymorning in Northern Virginia.

Davies suffered a lacerated bladder and fractures to the tibia and femur bones in his right leg. He also suffered facial fractures and a left elbow fracture.Davies was air-lifted to the hospital where a team of doctors first repaired a ruptured bladder and then inserted titanium rods in both the tibia, the bone inthe lower leg, and the femur, which is the thigh bone, with no complications. Davies will be hospitalized for at least a week and additional surgeries will berequired to stabilize his left elbow fracture and possibly the facial fractures.

"Injuries of this nature usually require a recovery period of six to 12 months and extensive rehabilitation," said U.S. Soccer physician Dr. DanKalbac, who is with the team in D.C. and collaborated with the treating doctors. "Due to Charlie's fitness level, his prognosis for recovery and hisability to resume high-level competition is substantially improved."

Davies is in Washington, D.C. with the U.S. National Team as the squad prepares for its final 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying match, taking place tomorrowagainst Costa Rica at RFK Stadium.

Davies, who has played 17 matches for the USA while scoring four goals, started and played 78 minutes in the USA's 3-2 victory over Honduras in San PedroSula last Saturday that clinched a berth for the United States to the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

-ussoccer.com
U.S. Soccer Federation, 1801 S. Prairie Ave, Chicago IL 60616

This %%++ ruined my day. Dude was gonna take us far next year in the WC
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom