Chris Rock is the Best Black Comedian Of Our Time Vol. Sorry Chappelle

If you're talking strictly stand up Murphy > Rock. Either way Chappelle would get runner up to either and has best chance to surpass them. I'm still lost on what OP means by "of our time" and ppl mentioning older acts like Pryor who is a legend but to me it isn't fair to compare.

If you're talking/adding movies, Rock and Murphy stopped being funny in their movies years ago and when I think about their best work Murphy wins.

Then there's Martin to round out that 4. At best dudes like Griffin, Foxx get honorable mentions. I don't recall anything of relevance Tucker has done in years. He's basically retired.

If you're talking strictly stand up Murphy > Rock. Either way Chappelle would get runner up to either and has best chance to surpass them. I'm still lost on what OP means by "of our time" and ppl mentioning older acts like Pryor who is a legend but to me it isn't fair to compare.

If you're talking/adding movies, Rock and Murphy stopped being funny in their movies years ago and when I think about their best work Murphy wins.

Then there's Martin to round out that 4. At best dudes like Griffin, Foxx get honorable mentions. I don't recall anything of relevance Tucker has done in years. He's basically retired.

Are we talking about strictly humor or humor AND material. Yeah, there are comedians that are funnier than Chris, but who else can make you think and laugh at the same time as much as him?

Are we talking about strictly humor or humor AND material. Yeah, there are comedians that are funnier than Chris, but who else can make you think and laugh at the same time as much as him?

Originally Posted by dimsum1

Best Black Comedian of "our time" can be ambiguous and subjective. So rather than debating who is the Best Black Comedian of our time we should discuss and compare thoughts on who is the Best Black Comedian of ALL TIME.

I'm not too familiar with Richard Pryor , and have only seen a couple clips of Eddie Murphy's stand up. But I'm well aware that those two killed it on stage. Chris Rock is definitely up there on the list and so is Chappelle. Who's better? I can't say but I personally like Chappelle's jokes and delivery more.

While we're on the topic... Bill Cosby?

eek.gif

you need to bruh, he's like the Rakim of Comedians.

now back to the topic at hand.... Chappelle gets the slight edge. i love both Chris Rock's and Chappelle's stand up  

Originally Posted by dimsum1

Best Black Comedian of "our time" can be ambiguous and subjective. So rather than debating who is the Best Black Comedian of our time we should discuss and compare thoughts on who is the Best Black Comedian of ALL TIME.

I'm not too familiar with Richard Pryor , and have only seen a couple clips of Eddie Murphy's stand up. But I'm well aware that those two killed it on stage. Chris Rock is definitely up there on the list and so is Chappelle. Who's better? I can't say but I personally like Chappelle's jokes and delivery more.

While we're on the topic... Bill Cosby?

eek.gif

you need to bruh, he's like the Rakim of Comedians.

now back to the topic at hand.... Chappelle gets the slight edge. i love both Chris Rock's and Chappelle's stand up  

i didnt even read the thread but chris rock isnt funnier than bernie mack nor richard pryor.....let alone dave chappelle.

i didnt even read the thread but chris rock isnt funnier than bernie mack nor richard pryor.....let alone dave chappelle.

earlier this year watched chris rock - kill the messenger then dave chapelle - for what it's worth with a bunch of friends..  and the lulz favored chapelle easily...

also comparing chapelle's show to rock's ... chapelle wins

Honestly IMO they are my 1-2 of this time period but I'm almost certain chilling with chapelle for a day would bring more lulz than rock .. rock was my fav up until college easily.. and rock brings more of a political element into his comedy so it's definitely more relevant just not as silly..

earlier this year watched chris rock - kill the messenger then dave chapelle - for what it's worth with a bunch of friends..  and the lulz favored chapelle easily...

also comparing chapelle's show to rock's ... chapelle wins

Honestly IMO they are my 1-2 of this time period but I'm almost certain chilling with chapelle for a day would bring more lulz than rock .. rock was my fav up until college easily.. and rock brings more of a political element into his comedy so it's definitely more relevant just not as silly..

eh, i wouldnt even say rock is more political or relevant.

his comedy is moreso witty observations/a unique perspective than COMEDY

his brand of black comedy was very unique when he came on the scene, and is the originator of that particular style of "comedy"

chris rock isnt unfunny

but as far as all time great black comedians...

there are many that are flat out FUNNIER than him..

smarter? i dunno

but funnier for sure.

eh, i wouldnt even say rock is more political or relevant.

his comedy is moreso witty observations/a unique perspective than COMEDY

his brand of black comedy was very unique when he came on the scene, and is the originator of that particular style of "comedy"

chris rock isnt unfunny

but as far as all time great black comedians...

there are many that are flat out FUNNIER than him..

smarter? i dunno

but funnier for sure.

Saw Chris rock live and laughed the whole time !! Def one of my favorites next to Eddie izzard and aziz ansari

Saw Chris rock live and laughed the whole time !! Def one of my favorites next to Eddie izzard and aziz ansari

Back
Top Bottom