Christopher Nolan to direct WWII drama ‘Dunkirk’ (1st trailer is up)

For those who only read the headline, the preview is only for 2D 70mm Imax screenings. They got me about to goto sacramento to watch star wars :smh:

Last edited:
For those who only read the headling, the preview is only for 2D 70mm Imax screenings. They got me about to goto sacramento to watch star wars
mean.gif
There isn't one in the Bay Area? 
laugh.gif

That theater is nice though. Make sure to get your parking ticket validated after the movie!

There's one too in San Jose but it's a dome imax and those are kind of weird :lol:

I've only heard bad things about that theater. Kinda sucks that the Dublin and Metreon Theaters aren't doing that(they true IMAX) ironically the last time I attended a 70mm screening of a film in IMAX was interstellar in Dublin

On a surface level it's easy to like those movies but when compared to Nolan's other work that is far superior in the areas he usually excels at all of the flaws are readily apparent in those 2 movies.

I will say for Interstellar specifically it can be as simple as the message overall was pretty sappy and the story itself just wasn't that strong (but again due to the sappy message). The visuals, directing, and acting were all on point.

TDKR is a whole other can of worms.
yeah i see what you are saying but i don't go nowhere near as deep in to it as you. 

i'm not comparing it to any other films. i just take each film for the experience it is and those 2 movies really entertained me for totally different reasons. 

interstellar much more so. 

On a surface level it's easy to like those movies but when compared to Nolan's other work that is far superior in the areas he usually excels at all of the flaws are readily apparent in those 2 movies.

I will say for Interstellar specifically it can be as simple as the message overall was pretty sappy and the story itself just wasn't that strong (but again due to the sappy message). The visuals, directing, and acting were all on point.

TDKR is a whole other can of worms.
yeah i see what you are saying but i don't go nowhere near as deep in to it as you. 
i'm not comparing it to any other films. i just take each film for the experience it is and those 2 movies really entertained me for totally different reasons. 

interstellar much more so. 
I can agree with that approach but when it comes to throwing the label GOAT around or making lists I tend to compare directors to their own work.

I ask are they consistently good? Consistently great? Have they gotten better with each movie. What's their range? Etc. So when it comes to that topic yeah I'll probably get deep in to it.

cinematography looks to be what we'd expect from nolan. they prolly strapped IMAX cameras to these joints just to get those otherwise simple action scenes.

i have no idea what the story is about from this trailer....at first i thought that was bad. but then i thought 2 things.

1. A trailer that doesn't give the story away? why am i complaining about that?

2. I literally could just go wiki the Dunkirk battle and find out what the movie is based on and get my WW2 knowledge up. Then, ill be prepared for the movie.

One thing that comes to mind...usually war films are marketed as emotional stories, and are scored accordingly.

Pearl harbor

The Pacific

where as dunkirk SOUNDS like a thriller. idk i could be totally wrong. just initial impression.

this is a must watch either way.

IMAX FOREVER

^ Going off the music I did not get thriller at all :lol: Thriller war movie? I got a day in the life during war feel.

Looks like your standard war film with explosions galore.
Basically.

Weirdly enough, the trailer makes it seem the entire movie takes place on that beach. Don't think/hope that's not the case.

Last edited:
absolutely on the fence for this film, trailer did nothing for me. I have to know how much Tom Hardy is in this, that could be my deciding factor. No Michael Caine either???

if this is just a straight up war movie though then no, I've felt like all of Nolan's films outside the TDK movies have had some twist or other worldly aspect to it that either comes midway through the film or makes the ending, I don't see that aspect at all in this film

Back
Top Bottom