College Sucks...yea I said it

The classes can be an %#*.
But the experience is all worth the while(unless you go to a commuter school and live at home with your parents).
I'm going through engineering classes myself and they all suck. Im pretty sure that all engineering majors found out that 90% of the crap we learn in our classes does not apply to our job field.
Which is pretty sad.
I think the only major worth going to college for in the health/science department.
They actually have to remember all the medical terms, disease, symptoms, etc etc. Everything else can be learned on the job or in technical classes.
Luckily enough for me, I wont be having any debt at all as the school scholarship/financial aid is paying ME, to go to school.
And to go to a school that has a great sports program to brag about, kinda, than it makes it even better when you meet up your other friends from other schools.

What we should be doing here is helping each other out. I know there are plenty of people here that work at corporations that can help the upcoming graduates submit their resumes and recruit us. I know this is a shoeforum, but I'm pretty sure there are quality people here willing to help/be helped.

Most jobs REQUIRE a 4 year degree, some are beginning to require a Masters Degree, if you dont go to college, then you might as well apply at your local McDonalds, Walmart, or Bus Depot

This is probably the dumbest thing I've read in a couple days.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by Jking0821

You do realize that there are around 4000 colleges in the US 55 is in the top 2%. So i don't know what your chuckling at. I guess engineering students can't do easy math or easy googling
QFT.... I thought i was the only one who noticed that... So being ranked number 55 in the country in engineering means its not a good engineering school now??  I dont know what kinda world this guy lives in.. just because he hasnt heard of drexel doesnt mean it doesn't have a very good engineering program..
  Even if you take out the art schools and all of the other small universities that "Don't care about thier engineering program"  You are still going to be looking at over 1000 schools.  So at that point Drexel is only in the top 6% i guess thats not very good?  Yale is number 38 on the list does that make them a bad school? 

When Exxon, Google,Cisco, IBM, etc. are looking for engineers....they don't go to Yale.(They'll go to Yale for other positions though). They first go to the top 20 or so schools get the top talent from there...and then if there are jobs left....get the rest of America. Yale is a VERY good school, but it's strength is elsewhere. They place very well in many industries, but technology is not one of them.

Fortune 500 companies, Consulting firms, Investment Banks, and Big 4 Accounting firms have "target schools". Depending on the strength for the industry. If your school is not a wall street target school it will be much harder to get into investment banking, trading, etc. Same for top 3 consulting, engineering, etc. You guys act like these companies have space for everyone
laugh.gif

This is common knowledge. You can always break into a top company from a lower ranked school (in that major) but it's much more networking, higher GPA, etc. required then the  kid at the top 5 school for whatever major/industry. Trust me......

Your school program rank can be the difference between getting multiple F500 offers in a recession and having 0 offers. School rank is important. I got a friend with a 2.5 GPA who got a job at Microsoft making 90k......................i doubt he'd be in that position at a 2nd or 3rd tier engineering program. The Microsoft guys really recruited hard here. Multiple info sessions and all.

The point I'm trying to make is don't discredit program ranks. There are people who are paying lots of money for school and working their @%% off (like toycollector) to get good paying jobs and multiple offers. In regards to Toycollector, I'd rather be in his position then one of these NT "I majored in sports-management/communications/crap and I don't have a job" clones.

You partied your *#* off in college and had a good time. 4 years is up...............what do u have to show for it? Party of your life for 4 years or live the life for 40 years. Freshmen in college, that's a choice you have to make.

Why does everyone keep coming back to the job market and student loans? Could you be more short-sighted? The interest rates on subsidized student loans are ridiculously generous. Hell, interest rates in general are pretty generous right now. Yes, you do have to be qualified for these loans but if you're a college-age American you should have flawless credit.

I've spent the past 6 years working w/people who share this anti-establishment sentiment. They're the same people that hate their boss w/an unnecessary passion, bring their work-related problems home, are forced to stay in the workforce into their 70s, think corporate America is a big joke that they aren't a part of (despite the fact that they work for corporate America), voluntarily opt out of a 401(k) plan b/c they don't trust Wall St. and would rather invest in cookie-cutter homes in Las Vegas and complain every 15 days about taxes, yet have no problem openly talking about faking health issues so they can take a few months off from work. If you think the world is out to screw you over, you're right and you're going to prove it yourself. Most people who consistently try to cut corners end up getting a raw deal in life, its just that simple. So please, tell me about how Bill Gates dropped out of college and Richard Branson dropped out of 7th grade (or w/e it was) and I'll tell you about thousands of people who have a GED or high school diploma and bust their hump 80 hrs/wk just to sniff $100k BEFORE taxes.

The job market is tough - live w/it. When the economy picks up again and companies start hiring, who do you think the jobs are going to go to? No offense to WyoTech - mechanics CAN make a ton of money - but I don't think GE and VMWare are looking for people who have experience replacing mufflers. If you want to get into the job market immediately and start bringing home the bacon, your best bet may be to go to a technical academy. But if you want to get into the job market in a meaningful way that will allow you to climb the corporate ladder and live the life that you have always dreamed of, you're going to need a degree.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

SO NT, exactly how much college debt do you have?

I'm in my sixth year and my total is somewhere in the neighborhood of $9500...
ohwell.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'll assume you missed a zero.[/color]

I have zero.  Did I go to the top choice of schools I wanted to go to? Hell no. My parents and I discussed it and they set it straight.  It was a state school, period.

So I attempted to pick the best one that suited me.  At the end of the day, I'm quite happy and still miss it.  Wwaawwawawawawawawawawa spoke the truth.  If you've been to or are going to college, you can replay everything he wrote out in your own mind from your own memories. 

Miss a zero, nahhhh. I owe approximately nine thousand five hundred dollars--or something very close to that. I wouldn't be silly enough to accumulate debt in the area of ninety five thousand dollars, especially considering I'm still an undergrad. I'd have to check myself into a mental institution if that were ever the case...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I go to school for free and get about 6000 a semester from scholarships and other programs, so yeah...

Well if it makes throwedinthegame feel any better all of my friends who are engineers are graduating now (on 5 year programs) Having done 3 co-ops with engineering firms. So not one of them is looking for a job they all have something in line with over a year of experience in the field. My friend AJ has a 3.4 GPA and is turning down a ton of offers.

So to say that big engineering firms don't recruit from "lower ranked schools" i use that term loosley because i dont' consider 55 to be low at all, is wrong. Drexel hasCo-op partnerships with a ton of firms and engineering is huge there. So your not going to struggle finding a job graduating from Drexel with an engineering degree

Which goes back to my original point. Drexel as an engineering school is Good. I never said its the best in the world. But you can't discredit them because "you" one person don't know anything about them.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

SO NT, exactly how much college debt do you have?

I'm in my sixth year and my total is somewhere in the neighborhood of $9500...
ohwell.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'll assume you missed a zero.[/color]

I have zero.  Did I go to the top choice of schools I wanted to go to? Hell no. My parents and I discussed it and they set it straight.  It was a state school, period.

So I attempted to pick the best one that suited me.  At the end of the day, I'm quite happy and still miss it.  Wwaawwawawawawawawawawa spoke the truth.  If you've been to or are going to college, you can replay everything he wrote out in your own mind from your own memories. 

Miss a zero, nahhhh. I owe approximately nine thousand five hundred dollars--or something very close to that. I wouldn't be silly enough to accumulate debt in the area of ninety five thousand dollars, especially considering I'm still an undergrad. I'd have to check myself into a mental institution if that were ever the case...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The emoticon you posted confused me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by Baller23217

if college sucks, you're doing it wrong.

QFT
Must be Sports Management majors
False. Went to school free via athletics. Communication & Journalism. Head of promo for a number of TV shows on your favorite channel.

F That I wish I was back at school right now. But I also had a scholarship for undergrad so yeah.

MBA from FAMU BTW.

Originally Posted by TrappenAintDead

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

Huge debt, minimal job prospects for terrible salaries, and factor in being perpetually broke. FFUUU. I now see why my peers resort to slangin drugs.

Sell drugs in school. Easy solution.
Get snitched on. Easy expulsion.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

lol

check it

here's a nice example for you NTers ignorant to the world

my dude reese got an entry level job at nationwide his senior year of hs

by the time I graduated with a bachelors

he was making over 80k a year.

no college at all.

he has no college debt.

meanwhile, I can't even get a pt job cause retail stores figure I'm overqualified...

rofl

real talk, if you aren't considering education past a bachelors

pick up a tech degree.

I'm either gonna get a masters in education or get into law school at this point

the highest paying job I've held since I graduated was 27k

copy editor.
/THREAD

same exact thing with a home girl, while i was busting $+$ in undergrad she was making 80K after working her way up in 3 years from a telemarketer to like a sales rep for an insurance company.

to be honest though they did say if she got a masters she would get like 110k for the same job + like a lil extra work that she would then be qualified for. plus she is hella jealous im in law school despite the cheese she got.

There's WAY more people looking for jobs than creating them. That's the problem.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I wouldn't trade my 4 years in college for anything.  I'm a few years out of school and am making what many would consider a nice salary at a PE firm but I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for another 4 years back in school with my friends. I've talked about this with my friends and they would all do the same.

So many memories.
laugh.gif

The 3 am drunk convos. The feeling you get when you like a chick and realize you have no shot. The feeling you get when you like a chick and finally hook up with her.  The obligatory breakfast at the diner the morning after partying to discuss "what the #+$% did I do!?". Walking around on campus in the summer. Walking around on campus in the summer on a Friday knowing what's gonna go down that weekend.
pimp.gif
Getting up Saturday and knowing that you're gonna play ball/workout, eat, take a nap, party, and wake up in the afternoon on Sunday. 
pimp.gif
Going booze shopping with your boys Fri evening. Meeting up to have lunch in between classes and plan the weekend.
laugh.gif

Staying in smoking and playing Winnign Eleven till 4 am.
laugh.gif
Getting a good grade on "that" exam and knowing your weekend will be that much sweeter.

I'd take all the money I've saved up over the past few years and flush it down the toilet no questions asked if I could redo college with my friends.  

Maybe it took me getting really sick (but I glad I did in hindsight) in order to realize that 99.999999999999999% of what we call "life/ living" is bull *%!@. Very few things actually matter and it's kind of funny realizing.

You think college sucks? You don't know what's coming then.
laugh.gif

Truer words have never been spoke (by you). 
laugh.gif
  I can't believe I just agreed with this guy. 

Getting to play hoops for like 3 or 4 hours, and then stopping at the cafeteria before heading back home to get cleaned up for inevitable partying later in the night. 
pimp.gif

That one club with all the rich, white chicks that were ready when it came to bruhs. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Waking up for class, looking outside and seeing snow and then just saying "eff it" and going back to sleep until noon. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Summertime, when the campus was slow but you had that core crew of people you kicked it with all damn summer. 
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Chicken finger night in the cafeteria. 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

WORK STUDY JOBS a.k.a. we're gonna pay you regardless of what you do because it isn't our money. 
smokin.gif

I could go on and on, but you get the point....college definitely does NOT suck, unless you're doing it wrong. 
You've always agreed with me , you just haven't realized until now.
laugh.gif
Na, just playin.

You know what it is with certain people? It's not that they don't enjoy college. It's that they don't want to enjoy it. An example being my brother. Me and him went to the same school but his personality made him incapable of enjoying college. He always saw the bad side of people. He always saw the unfavorable circumstances in situations. In other words, his glass was always half empty. I presented him with situations where he might start to enjoy college but he almost always rejected them. When he did accept them and follow through the end result was him always complaining about the negatives of what he experienced. At some point I realized that he was simply incapable of enjoying what college had to offer. In the end I just listened to his complaints because venting made him feel better. So at the very least I could help in that way. I think this is one form of personality that doesn't enjoy college.

Another personality that doesn't enjoy college ( of which there's  a sizable) popualtion are those that can't find a good balance between work and play. They're the ones with their heads buried in books at the library on Friday and Saturday nights and it's not finals week. They're people  who fail to realize that a big part of being a human being is actually living.
laugh.gif
Being happy, sad, angry, jealous, excited, proud, sublime, etc. Could I have graduated with a GPA .2 points higher if I didn't have a rule of  "I will absolutely not study or do work between Fri afternoon and Sunday Afternoon (unless it's finals week)."
laugh.gif
Of course I could have. Would have it been worth it? Absolutely not. All those pople studying on Fri and saturday nights have a different perspective on life. It's not a matter of them being right or wrong. It's just that they look at life/living in a different way.

I'm not advocating wasting away your time and scratching one's ball's while smoking up 3 times a day. The other extreme is always being in the mode of work, work, work. It's not healthy. There were instances where I should ahve been studying in order to get an A instead of an A- or a A- instead of a B+ but would have it been worth it? Hell no.
laugh.gif

In 30 years, will I remember some worthless test out of the hundreds of others tests? The answer is obvious.

I wasn't a "party animal" either. There were stretches of 3-4 weeks where I had other obligations and couldn't drink. I still stuck to the " no studying" and found other ways to enjoy my time with friends.

The funny thing is I'm an introvert. I liked (and still do) to be alone a lot of the time. However, I also know that in order to stay sane I need to spend time with others and the time that I do spend I need to enjoy. I'm not goign to claim that all my epxeriences were good. There were a bunch of #$%%++ ones. However, I wouldn't change any of them. My only regret is not taking advantage of more opportunities. Whether it was with girls, meeting more people, or doing even more stupid *@%%.
laugh.gif

My advice to those still in college; whether you have 3 years left or 1 year left is to take advantage of what you have. It may sound cliche, but you really don't know what you have until it's gone.

Looking back on it, I'm
frown.gif
tired.gif
smile.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
tongue.gif
at the same time.

At least tomorrow's Friday in the real world. Still gotta deal with the same cocksuckers, !$%+$%$$, schemers, and ball scratchers at work though.
laugh.gif

Some have to go back to the Island. I have to go back to college.
laugh.gif

co-sign waawamaamw, college is a blast.
people don't appreciate being in college, its seriously the best time of your life.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

co-sign waawamaamw, college is a blast.
people don't appreciate being in college, its seriously the best time of your life.
To be honest, and it seems weird to me too, but my time in the Army > college.

Back
Top Bottom