|||--- Common "Universal Mind Control" Tracklisting And Cover (Dropping December 9th) ---|||

The album isn't wack but its not that great either.
I don't even think its as good as Finding Forever, definitely not touching BE or anything else in Com's catalog.

The production is straight.
Lyrically, Common just ain't spittin like he used to. He's been saying the same thing the past 2 LPs.

is it worth doin the 99cent zune thing for this album?(yeah i know i gotta buy like 400 points or something)

ive held out on listenin to any of his tracks til the album dropped. but i ended up listenin to UMC cause of all the commercials.

This thread is evidence as to why one should take the opinion of those in the Music forum with a grain of salt.

This album was straight trash. Common went from BE... to this?!
smh.gif

the man said himself he was moving in another direction, making that feel good music. so why are ya'll expecting the same thing?

didn't cop yet, but the song he did on ellen is nice to me. the two songs that he has video's for are wack. its so easy for me to dl it but i stillgotta support common and cop it.

The cd was alright nothing to bad. But I wouldn't suggest anyone buying it. The @%%* only has like 10 short #++ songs on it. Only reason I copped it isbecause my cd burner doesn't work anymore.

This 'everyone's suppose to hate Kanyes new album' attitude this board has is pathetic. Anyways, I'm afraid of purchasing this album. I ownevery Common album but for the first time, I'm going to download first and see if I like it.

I don't know why "Break My Heart (Live)" was a bonus track, but the live version is tough and is just as good as the original.

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Originally Posted by VIIheaven

huge disappointment.
WelcomeTo[emoji]9829[/emoji]Hea r t b r eak
irony?
laugh.gif
roll.gif

WE GOT EM!
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
That was good.

But if you mean 808's was a disappointment, I disagree. 808's is dope.

But yes, Common broke my heart with this album
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Question for everyone though -- anyone else feel like Common has fell WAY off lyrically since messing with 'Ye (i.e. Be and everything after). I understandBe is amazing but even on that album, his lyrics were dumbed way down and its gotten progressively worse.

I DL'ed from the Zune Marketplace for "99 cent". It's alright... I'm not feelin "Sex 4 Suga" or "Everywhere"."Make My Day" and "What A World" are listenable. "Changes" is ok, and the rest of the album is good. He could have gave thepeople more tracks though.

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

huge disappointment.
WelcomeTo[emoji]9829[/emoji]Hea r t b r eak
irony?
laugh.gif
roll.gif

WE GOT EM!
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
That was good.

But if you mean 808's was a disappointment, I disagree. 808's is dope.

But yes, Common broke my heart with this album
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Question for everyone though -- anyone else feel like Common has fell WAY off lyrically since messing with 'Ye (i.e. Be and everything after). I understand Be is amazing but even on that album, his lyrics were dumbed way down and its gotten progressively worse.

I don't think its gotten weaker, he's been doing a lot more story telling but still been dropping some thought bombs on us...but this hasto be the WEAKEST $**% HE'S EVER PUT OUT...What the hell was the whole point of it? I need a master thesis to understand where he was going with this. Hehad 2 SOLID albums in a row and just when I say "yes! more quality material on the horizon", he slaps me in the face with this rubbish. I'mextremely unhappy.

At one point, Common was my favorite rapper. If he would've ended his career with 'Be', he'd easily be the most consistent rapper ever [I likedElectric Circus!!]. But lately, dude hasn't sounded as comfortable as he usually is on the mic. He frequently throws out lines that seem forced:

"I still Love her, she be needing the ++$*
When it come to Hip Hop, its just me and my *%@%$"

Is that you Common? All this fame got him in a different state of mind that doesn't let him be himself. I heard he said this album shouldn'tbe taken too seriously because he felt it was something he needed to do for himself but thats *%%#@$!#. Every time he releases something completely different,he throws out an excuse in case its not received well.

I don't think dude lost it at all, he's just not using it anymore and this album shows it. Its not an atrocious piece of work (Cassidy's"BARS" is the definition of a horrible album) but its nothing I'd want to hear from Common on a full length album; sounds uninspired. Though Imust say "Gladiator" sounds amazing. Easily the best track on the album.

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

At one point, Common was my favorite rapper. If he would've ended his career with 'Be', he'd easily be the most consistent rapper ever [I liked Electric Circus!!]. But lately, dude hasn't sounded as comfortable as he usually is on the mic. He frequently throws out lines that seem forced:

Is that you Common? All this fame got him in a different state of mind that doesn't let him be himself. I heard he said this album shouldn't be taken too seriously because he felt it was something he needed to do for himself but thats *%%#@$!#. Every time he releases something completely different, he throws out an excuse in case its not received well.

I don't think dude lost it at all, he's just not using it anymore and this album shows it. Its not an atrocious piece of work (Cassidy's "BARS" is the definition of a horrible album) but its nothing I'd want to hear from Common on a full length album; sounds uninspired. Though I must say "Gladiator" sounds amazing. Easily the best track on the album.
I agree was just listening to it today, and gladiator is do only song I got on repeat.

He's still dropping The Believer next year..

When dude says his album is about feel good music and the summer, why the hell do you think he's going to bring a Be level album? Take it for what it is.If you don't like it, move on, don't cry that common lost himself when he's still working on a full album.

Originally Posted by south sole

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

At one point, Common was my favorite rapper. If he would've ended his career with 'Be', he'd easily be the most consistent rapper ever [I liked Electric Circus!!]. But lately, dude hasn't sounded as comfortable as he usually is on the mic. He frequently throws out lines that seem forced:

Is that you Common? All this fame got him in a different state of mind that doesn't let him be himself. I heard he said this album shouldn't be taken too seriously because he felt it was something he needed to do for himself but thats *%%#@$!#. Every time he releases something completely different, he throws out an excuse in case its not received well.

I don't think dude lost it at all, he's just not using it anymore and this album shows it. Its not an atrocious piece of work (Cassidy's "BARS" is the definition of a horrible album) but its nothing I'd want to hear from Common on a full length album; sounds uninspired. Though I must say "Gladiator" sounds amazing. Easily the best track on the album.
I agree was just listening to it today, and gladiator is do only song I got on repeat.
This is how I feel as well...except I only mess with Everywhere. Not because of Common though.

Totally agree about forced lines.

Back
Top Bottom