Common's BE.....new school hip-hop's Illmatic??? Discuss....

Originally Posted by MrWavez

people mention illmatic outside the internet? damn.

Just because you hang around with 14 year old teeny bopper Wayne fans doesn't mean that people don't discuss good albums in real life. 

Originally Posted by MrWavez

people mention illmatic outside the internet? damn.

Just because you hang around with 14 year old teeny bopper Wayne fans doesn't mean that people don't discuss good albums in real life. 

classic? yes.

but anything compared to "the" album will fall short...

is kobe the new generations mj?

classic? yes.

but anything compared to "the" album will fall short...

is kobe the new generations mj?

Be... is a dope album... i know it from to back... but it's no where near as hard as illmatic (pause... nh)... Nas ripped every single track to shreds... and be was never seen or received like that... that album alone pushed Nas into top 5 consideration at 17yrs old... Be did none of that... i would call Late Registration or College Dropout more of a modern day illmatic... since they ushered in this new breed of hip hop artists who dont talk about the streets but more about themselves, feelings, fears, family, and every day life not related to the 'hood, or streets'

Borderline classic for me, I loved this album when it dropped.

Be has got to be the sickest intro ever, and they should have put the studio version of The Food instead of the Chapelle performance. Just my 0.02

Borderline classic for me, I loved this album when it dropped.

Be has got to be the sickest intro ever, and they should have put the studio version of The Food instead of the Chapelle performance. Just my 0.02

Be... is a dope album... i know it from to back... but it's no where near as hard as illmatic (pause... nh)... Nas ripped every single track to shreds... and be was never seen or received like that... that album alone pushed Nas into top 5 consideration at 17yrs old... Be did none of that... i would call Late Registration or College Dropout more of a modern day illmatic... since they ushered in this new breed of hip hop artists who dont talk about the streets but more about themselves, feelings, fears, family, and every day life not related to the 'hood, or streets'

NaS kicked in the doors of hiphop with illmatic. Took him to a higher plane plus that was him on wax at like 18 19 yrs old.
Be is nothing like illmatic because that was comsense comeback album. kanye reached out said he wanted to do the whole lp and revive commons career or w/e.

NaS kicked in the doors of hiphop with illmatic. Took him to a higher plane plus that was him on wax at like 18 19 yrs old.
Be is nothing like illmatic because that was comsense comeback album. kanye reached out said he wanted to do the whole lp and revive commons career or w/e.

Be = Classic album
Illmatic = Masterpiece.

Very, very few albums have the title that Illmatic holds, and none of Common's albums are up there. Be is the closest though, imo. Arguably the best hip hop album of the last decade, but not masterpiece material as much as I (and many others I'm sure) would like to consider it.

Be = Classic album
Illmatic = Masterpiece.

Very, very few albums have the title that Illmatic holds, and none of Common's albums are up there. Be is the closest though, imo. Arguably the best hip hop album of the last decade, but not masterpiece material as much as I (and many others I'm sure) would like to consider it.

Back
Top Bottom