Comp Heads: Can my computer handle Sims 3

Just copped Sims 3, but it keeps lagging/freezing/crashing. Heres my specs. video card is a Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT and got 1500MB of ram. With a AMD Athlon 64processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz. I think thats all the important info. Are these specs good enough where it shouldnt be lagging and such? or is it time to upgrade.thanks in advance

Found this with google in about 30 seconds.
FOR WINDOWS XP
  • Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
  • 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
  • 1 GB RAM
  • At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
  • 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
FOR WINDOWS VISTA
  • Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
  • 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
  • 1.5 GB RAM
  • At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
  • 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
  • Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
  • 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
  • 0.5 GB additional RAM
wink.gif

Bet it would have been faster for you to use too.

Ah, the wonderful world of of PC gaming
pimp.gif

The question is, did you build the pc in question yourself?, and if you did.....are you willing to overclock/ buy more ram?

i dont think u understand 18key...COPPED, which means i have it already, so i know the requirements. How else would i know its freezing/lagging/crashing. Myquestion is..do i need to upgrade my computer in order for it to stop doing that.

and yea...i did build the computer myself, it was a dumb move because i was overconfident and thought it was easy, turned out my motherboard came in defectiveso i had to send it in and get a new one, and it just ended up being a huge headache for me. In the end, i got it working, but i know i didnt set it up right,but im at the point where i dont even care anymore as long as its working. (ive been using it for past 3 years or so without any major problems) As far asoverclocking, i dont think i know enough to do that kinda stuff, and i am willing to buy maybe a gig more of ram. The thing is, my computer handles WOW justfine (although it lags in 25 mans, but its still bearable) so i am kind of surprised that this is happening with Sims.

trying to run that program u gave me sole vintage, but its not asking me to download anything >.< firewalls off too

Funny thing is, I just started over clocking my quad core to 3 gigahertz two days ago for the first time.
Granted i found a really good guide written specifically for my (edit) motherboard, its so easy.
If you wanna play it safe though, I really suggest getting a new pair of ram sticks, most likely the highest specification your motherboard can handle.
It's been three years so the best ram for your comp is relatively cheap by now.

yea, im thinkin bout just getting more ram, but requirements say that it only needs 1gig, and i have 1500..unless that 500 isnt enough to fully support it.where did you find those guides for overclocking?

The forums of my motherboard manufacturer is where i found my guide.
The mobo manual should tell you what the highest specification of ram it can handle; I suggest looking throughnewegg.com got every piece of the pc I'm posting with right now from that site.

Originally Posted by silentxnight

trying to run that program u gave me sole vintage, but its not asking me to download anything >.< firewalls off too
try entering the site on internet explorer sometimes firefox doesn't pick it up. if you want to overclock go to http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ they have really good guidesand support if you mess up

i dont think u understand 18key...COPPED, which means i have it already, so i know the requirements. How else would i know its freezing/lagging/crashing. My question is..do i need to upgrade my computer in order for it to stop doing that.
Oh ok, I must have missed that. I'm assuming you have XP, since your comp is 3 years old. In that case it might just be a video card problem.I tried to play COD4 on my laptop, and I was having the same problems as you. It turned out my video card wasn't good enough, so I'd check that if Iwere you.

Also, these 'requirements' are just the basic stuff you need to run the game, so your comp might be struggling to run the game if it tops out at whatyou have listed.

Quickly looking, your specs seem to be good enough. But those are minimum specs. Lower the graphics settings?

*Facepalm*

My bad, wasn't paying attention, that vid card has to go my friend, if you had to choose betweengetting new ram and a vid card choose vid card and when your playing the game close all apps so the game can have the ram to it self.

alright..ran the Can You Run It test and i passed everything. Working on tryin to figure out how much ram my mobo supports, and gonna decide if i should getsome ram or not. Not sure if i wanna put anymore money into this piece of junk lol.

edit: is the video card that bad? i just looked at my newegg history and i bought that %$%! for $300.
smh.gif

what card do u suggest that is under 200-250?

You def need more RAM.

And RAM is cheap..it's not really gonna hurt your pockets at all.

alright..ran the Can You Run It test and i passed everything. Working on tryin to figure out how much ram my mobo supports, and gonna decide if i should get some ram or not. Not sure if i wanna put anymore money into this piece of junk lol.

edit: is the video card that bad? i just looked at my newegg history and i bought that %$%! for $300.
smh.gif

what card do u suggest that is under 200-250?
any of these
personally, I go with EVGA

These cards I posted need a PCI Express x16 slot, your current video card uses AGP slot (just checked on wiki), check if your motherboard supports PCI....before you buy one of the ones I posted.

Back
Top Bottom