Computer P.S.A. (helpful programs, apps, and tips)

how do i get to the dhcp ip list through my netgear router? i just got the new verizon fios and they installed it themselves

ok... so i d/led cc cleaner and windows clean up!. Ran it the first time and it worked great. That was 2 weeks ago, so i ran it again. This time after i ran through both progs my internet is running slow and unable to display some images. Did i accidentally delete something important?
Bust a nut inside your eye, to show you where I come from -- ATCQ
wanted.. purple co.jp vandals & co.jp grey/prple wildwoods 9.5 or 10

Quote:
go to this forum, and post up your log in the forum, there's some good people there. Here's the forum:

This forum ^ is incredible. The people on there helped me restore my computer back to good health. It took about a week but they were awesome. Thanks for steering me to this forum. I would highley recommend it to anyone who has computer problems.

edit: the link is on page 9 of this thread

i've been using the program ad-aware to check for viruses and whatnot, and now the program freezes while it scans through my computer... i tried re-installing it and running it again but that didn't work... any suggestions?
just my $.02

chances are, it didn't permanently freeze. it's just temporary. usually, when it's finding a lot of stuff, it'll show a "not responding" in the task manager. let it continue and you should be fine.
honoring the site that founded "The Study of Phat Kicks"​

i have a problem, all the sudden my wireless connection doesnt connect to the usuall wrieless network, infact its not even there anymore...instead it connects to this other one which isnt very strong and disconnects me sometimes, what can i do to make it strong??

i now have my screen like this:
xqcrcw.jpg

and i would like to get it to look like this:

desktop6zb.jpg

i was wondering how..would i just delete the desktop images?

Aim- j1mmy nuetr0n email- le081488@yahoo.com

Everytime i try to download an Extension or Plugin for my Firefox a little bar at the top of the browser appears that reads: "Software installation is currently disabled. Click Edit Options... to enable it and try again." So, i click on Edit Options but i can't find what it's refering to. Can anyone help? Thanks

Quote:
So i'm building a computer, and i recently bought a new hard drive, and i am not sure which windows to buy. There is the full version of home that goes for 200 dollars and the OEM home version for 89.99. Could someone tell me the difference? Thanks

Buy XP Pro or Media Center. I wouldn't reccomend XP home.

Quote:
There is the full version of home that goes for 200 dollars and the OEM home version for 89.99. Could someone tell me the difference?

i guess the only difference is just the 200 retail version comes with a box and additional paperwork.

i just finished building my first pc using winxp sp2 home oem and only had a few problems and thought i had a shady copy, but just turned out to be the bios..
<yo this is a nice introduction. they call me 35, one 82 is on production.>

I bought a Maxtor external HD for my music cuz I have 12,000 songs and my laptop can't handle it all. Problem is, I've had the power cord burn out TWICE since I got it. I can't find one on ebay, so I'm looking at getting an internal HD, so I don't have to lug an external one around with my laptop, and then I won't have to worry about the cord going out again.

I was wondering though, if I buy a new internal HD, will I still be able to burn cd's and things like that? The HD that came with my Dell laptop it is DVD-rom, is that going to still be on the computer, or will it come out with the drive?

This is a link as to something I was looking into getting, there are other brands like Western Digital, and Seagate, is this the best, or should I stay away from Maxtor?
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8809585097&fromMakeTrack=true

Thanks a ton!

Shady4Life, you're talking about getting an internal drive for your PC, not your laptop right? Brand-wise, Western digital is the best, just make sure you're getting a 7200 RPM drive. Also, you'll need to check whether you've got an IDE or a SATA motherboard, because they're not the same. An easy way to tell is to open you're PC case, and check whether the HD cord is a big, flat ribbon cord, or a sleek, slim red wire going into you're motherboard. I hope you're talking about your PC, because if you're talking about your laptop, they're completely different kinds of drives. PC drives are 3.5", while laptop drives are 1.8", and you won't find a laptop HD over 120 GB (currently). Hit me up on AIM if you need additional help. Oh, and Maxtor drives aren't bad, but they can be noisy. I'd reccomend a Western Digital Caviar SE Hard Drive, or if money doesn't matter, get a 10-15K hard drive. Hope that helped you.

Quote:
Would leaving a laptop computer on overnight and perhaps longer then that be bad for the laptop and/or the battery?

So you let the battery drain out? Or you left in plug in?
Either way it doesn't matter at all. If you left it in, it shouldn't overheat because the processor isn't getting any new taskts, and long as you left it without tasks to perform, it should be fine.

Hijackthis:

Download Hijackthis

^Doesn't remove adware or viruses, but it scans for known methods used to by adwares and viruses. The program creates a log of those things. Do not delete things on the log unless you know what you're doing. But this is very helpful for people that need help with problems on their computers because you can post the log onto forums and etc. and ask for help on what they should remove.

Killbox:

Download Killbox

^Killbox is a program that helps you delete things that you want to remove. Very useful for removing adwares and viruses because Killbox often times able to delete things that you are unable to delete on your

Can someone recommend me a good bluetooth mouse for my 14" laptop..something not too big and easily portable

Anyone know why my IE homepage is always set to www.msn.com? I keep changing it to blank cuz it'll change the next day back to MSN.com

Team San Diego #55

my disc drive stopped working last night while i was burning some cd's. i didnt think it was anything so i just shut the computer down and fell asleep. now, this morning, my computer wont read any kind of disc i insert. i right-clicked and clicked on properties and it says the disc drive is working properly, which is a lie. what the hell is wrong with it? this is starting to piss me off. someone please help.

1) my comp wont let me download the shutdown/restart docklets from wincustomize.com, is there any other site that has it.

2) is there any way i can get the tabbed docks for free.

thanks.
that wasnt very funny....

TEAM SD #10 (TEAM DIME)

I have two questions:
1. Can you make a harddrive a slave drive without formatting it. Because i have a harddrive that doesn't want to boot up, and I need to get songs and movies off of it.

2. Can you make an external harddrive the boot drive?
If you see kay, why owe you?
Chaney's Goon > Jim Jones Goonie Goo Goos

the best programs IMO
browser firefox
U TORRENT way better speeds and no swarms
lime wire pro. you can get it from u torrent plus its easier with finding songs.
yahoo widgets.

Back
Top Bottom