Considering a relocation to New Jersey: Any tips/ Info? + Relationship/ Relocation Question

Some good advice here.  Thanks

I'm questioning the move in w/ my gf because she would be leaving her home state/ family and moving across country.  If things don't work out, it's a risk for her since she doesn't have a job there.

I should clarify, that position is not a promotion (The Linden location) in the traditional sense (salary wise) but it does start me in the management track.  Guess I'm leaning more towards the other one cuz of the Princeton location but commuting is always an option.  There would be a cost of living adjustment with either position. 

The reason I'm considering a move (Lateral or not) is more for a change of scenery.  

I'm questioning the move in w/ my gf because she would be leaving her home state/ family and moving across country.  If things don't work out, it's a risk for her since she doesn't have a job there.

I should clarify, that position is not a promotion (The Linden location) in the traditional sense (salary wise) but it does start me in the management track.  Guess I'm leaning more towards the other one cuz of the Princeton location but commuting is always an option.  There would be a cost of living adjustment with either position. 

The reason I'm considering a move (Lateral or not) is more for a change of scenery.  

How has the housing market been out there?

If I go forward, I would be looking to buy my first house.  Descent salary (close to 6 figures) but I don't know how that will do in Jersey. 

If I go forward, I would be looking to buy my first house.  Descent salary (close to 6 figures) but I don't know how that will do in Jersey. 

Originally Posted by cocolicious

You said you didn't want to get married now but do you plan on marrying your girlfriend?

Yes I could see us getting married.  I know I don't want to leave her. 

Marriage kinda scares me though.  That's another topic though. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cocolicious

You said you didn't want to get married now but do you plan on marrying your girlfriend?

Yes I could see us getting married.  I know I don't want to leave her. 

Marriage kinda scares me though.  That's another topic though. 
laugh.gif

I would say since you both love each other and would like to get married in the future, then why not move and live together? Take a chance, it's not like you guys are in you're early twenties. Yeah it could be hard for her to leave her friends and family but she will have you and she will make new friends.

I would say since you both love each other and would like to get married in the future, then why not move and live together? Take a chance, it's not like you guys are in you're early twenties. Yeah it could be hard for her to leave her friends and family but she will have you and she will make new friends.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Bergenfield, Nutley, any area along route 4 is pretty nice, and its not too far from NYC. Do it OP.
Dunno what OP's income is gonna be, but Bergen county is one of the most expensive places in NJ to live.

OP. might want to look in
Hudson, Union, Passaic (lower), Essex, or Middlesex, (possible Somerset too) if you take the Linden spot (Union county)

new-jersey-county-map.gif

this, im moving into bergen county this summer though, some of the studios and apartments are pretty decent depending on the town,  like hackensack, lodi, etc

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Bergenfield, Nutley, any area along route 4 is pretty nice, and its not too far from NYC. Do it OP.
Dunno what OP's income is gonna be, but Bergen county is one of the most expensive places in NJ to live.

OP. might want to look in
Hudson, Union, Passaic (lower), Essex, or Middlesex, (possible Somerset too) if you take the Linden spot (Union county)

new-jersey-county-map.gif

this, im moving into bergen county this summer though, some of the studios and apartments are pretty decent depending on the town,  like hackensack, lodi, etc

north jersey definitely has it's bad parts but its home to me.  i moved down to south jersey and though it is "nicer", every chance i get, i'm back up north chillin with the homies.  linden specifically, mad cats i know are from there.

north jersey definitely has it's bad parts but its home to me.  i moved down to south jersey and though it is "nicer", every chance i get, i'm back up north chillin with the homies.  linden specifically, mad cats i know are from there.

Linden is kinda gutter, it just a small suburb area with most of the rest being big, Gas refineries and such in and around Rt 1. Linden also has a crazy ridiculous Polish population. I'd say like 75% of the town is Polish. My GF lives two towns over from Linden so I'm very familiar. I mean you could work in Linden and live 30mins away in some really nice areas. If you have any specific questions hit me up. I've lived in Central Jersey my whole life(27 yrs). Just so you have an idea of what you're getting into though. You won't find a nice 1 bedroom apt under $900. Gas is currently 2.85 - 3.50 a gallon. Restaurants i'd guess are about 15 - 20% higher than what'd you see in Utah. The cool stuff about Central Jersey is, you are 35 mins from NYC, 1 hr and 1/2 from Philly, 2 hrs from Atlantic City. DC in 3 + Hrs Boston just about that too. We have really nice beaches, Skiing, Hunting, Fishing, Plenty to do. Just so expensive.

Princeton on the other hand is a very yuppy area. Of course the University is there, but they have a little down town area with crazy stores and over priced restaurants. The surrounding areas, like East/West Windsor, South Brunswick, Cranbury, Kendall Park and such are just crazy expensive. A very large Asian population mostly Indian too, because there are a lot of Tech and Pharmaceutical companies within a 30 mi radius.

The good stuff about any of this is Linden and Princeton are only about 40 - 50 mins apart, along Rt 1. Crazy amounts of Malls, Restaurants, Stores, etc. Anything you could ever need can be found in the Central Jersey area.

If you want the young professional vibe, look at spots in Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City, Jersey City, Montclair from there it's about 35 - 45 mins to Linden give or take with our crazy traffic. All those aforementioned places are very trendy and thus expensive. Sure there are diamonds in the rough but as a whole. Expensive properties. If you take the Linden job, I'd look for spots in Westfield, Garwood, Scotch Plains, Union, Roselle, Roselle Park, Woodbridge, Edison, Clark, South Plainfield, ehh Piscataway. Parts of Rahway can be nice. Basically anything, Off of Rt 1, 287, or the Parkway.

Linden is kinda gutter, it just a small suburb area with most of the rest being big, Gas refineries and such in and around Rt 1. Linden also has a crazy ridiculous Polish population. I'd say like 75% of the town is Polish. My GF lives two towns over from Linden so I'm very familiar. I mean you could work in Linden and live 30mins away in some really nice areas. If you have any specific questions hit me up. I've lived in Central Jersey my whole life(27 yrs). Just so you have an idea of what you're getting into though. You won't find a nice 1 bedroom apt under $900. Gas is currently 2.85 - 3.50 a gallon. Restaurants i'd guess are about 15 - 20% higher than what'd you see in Utah. The cool stuff about Central Jersey is, you are 35 mins from NYC, 1 hr and 1/2 from Philly, 2 hrs from Atlantic City. DC in 3 + Hrs Boston just about that too. We have really nice beaches, Skiing, Hunting, Fishing, Plenty to do. Just so expensive.

Princeton on the other hand is a very yuppy area. Of course the University is there, but they have a little down town area with crazy stores and over priced restaurants. The surrounding areas, like East/West Windsor, South Brunswick, Cranbury, Kendall Park and such are just crazy expensive. A very large Asian population mostly Indian too, because there are a lot of Tech and Pharmaceutical companies within a 30 mi radius.

The good stuff about any of this is Linden and Princeton are only about 40 - 50 mins apart, along Rt 1. Crazy amounts of Malls, Restaurants, Stores, etc. Anything you could ever need can be found in the Central Jersey area.

If you want the young professional vibe, look at spots in Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City, Jersey City, Montclair from there it's about 35 - 45 mins to Linden give or take with our crazy traffic. All those aforementioned places are very trendy and thus expensive. Sure there are diamonds in the rough but as a whole. Expensive properties. If you take the Linden job, I'd look for spots in Westfield, Garwood, Scotch Plains, Union, Roselle, Roselle Park, Woodbridge, Edison, Clark, South Plainfield, ehh Piscataway. Parts of Rahway can be nice. Basically anything, Off of Rt 1, 287, or the Parkway.

Originally Posted by MrBen23

^GetYaShineBox... Why are you relocating? My family lives just 10 minutes outside of AC. If you need any info or have any questions, let me know.
new J-O-B ... thanks for the offer, I'm sure I'll be in touch for tips and stuff.

Originally Posted by GetYaShinebox

In for info.

Relocating to South Jerz (15 min from AC) from long island ... not sure how I feel about it yet
ohwell.gif
..which town..or country if you don't want to get too specific.
my girl is from that area.
Hamilton Township ... give me your chick's number maybe she can give me a tour of the area
grin.gif

Originally Posted by MrBen23

^GetYaShineBox... Why are you relocating? My family lives just 10 minutes outside of AC. If you need any info or have any questions, let me know.
new J-O-B ... thanks for the offer, I'm sure I'll be in touch for tips and stuff.

In for info.

Relocating to South Jerz (15 min from AC) from long island ... not sure how I feel about it yet
ohwell.gif
Hamilton Township ... give me your chick's number maybe she can give me a tour of the area
grin.gif

Originally Posted by bruza

Re: your girl
shouldn't she be the one to decide on taking that risk?.. not you?

Re: job
why NOT take the one that has more opportunity for growth?  If you don't like it, could you not go back to the other track?

Re: area
Princeton and Linden are ~50 min from each other.
Metuchen, Woodbridge, Somerset are good towns in the midway point between the two with good access to public transportation to NYC (see NE corridor, NJ Transit)

Housing market is ok, given the proximity to NYC and Philly, prices have not depreciated at much, but they have depreciated, but don't count on steep discounts, especially in Northern NJ counties like Bergen and Morris.

but as general advice regarding buying a home.. why not rent for a year or two..instead of buying outright right away.. especially if you're brand new to the area.   Get a feel for NJ, see if you like it, plus you'll get a better feel for which towns you'd like to buy/live in

this is good advice. 
Also remember, you have Rutgers U. around the Edison, New Brunswick, Piscataway area..so there are a lot of places for rental with young adults around Middlesex county

In for info.

ohwell.gif
grin.gif
guess you didn't want my advice as someone used to being in the NYC burbs vs differences of Philly/AC burbs. good luck to that.

why NOT take the one that has more opportunity for growth?  If you don't like it, could you not go back to the other track?

Re: area
Princeton and Linden are ~50 min from each other.
Metuchen, Woodbridge, Somerset are good towns in the midway point between the two with good access to public transportation to NYC (see NE corridor, NJ Transit)

Housing market is ok, given the proximity to NYC and Philly, prices have not depreciated at much, but they have depreciated, but don't count on steep discounts, especially in Northern NJ counties like Bergen and Morris.

but as general advice regarding buying a home.. why not rent for a year or two..instead of buying outright right away.. especially if you're brand new to the area.   Get a feel for NJ, see if you like it, plus you'll get a better feel for which towns you'd like to buy/live in

this is good advice. 
Also remember, you have Rutgers U. around the Edison, New Brunswick, Piscataway area..so there are a lot of places for rental with young adults around Middlesex county

In for info.

ohwell.gif
grin.gif
guess you didn't want my advice as someone used to being in the NYC burbs vs differences of Philly/AC burbs. good luck to that.

True.  But if we don't work out, I'm just supposed to say "Peace (find your way back to Utah)" ?
laugh.gif

Agreed thinking more about it over the last few days, the management one makes a lot more sense.  Yes I can always go back if I don't like the management position.   Pretty flexible company in that regard. 

I also like the idea of renting vs. buying right away. Makes more sense since I'm not too familiar w/ Jersey.

Good looks on the advice Dirty
pimp.gif

I just now realized this was moved to NE Forum. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom