Could we finally see a return of the Swoosh to NBA apparel!?...

or maybe even Jordan Brand!?...Wishful thinking, but with this development, something to ponder...

This article from Yahoo has voiced the displeasure of NY Senator Charles Schumer, who believes that "Basketball is an American game" and doesn'tbelieve in Adidas moving the manufacturing of uniforms to Thailand. With that he is pressuring the NBA to pull its contract with Adi, after getting a"lukewarm" response from the German based Adidas, using the business logic of shifting production closer to the source of raw materials to reducecost. This therefore would sever ties with US company American Classic Outfitters' who produces the uniforms currently..

Well it may or may not happen, but if Adidas is dropped aren't Nike manufacturing plants in the middle-east anyway?

Source

fingers crossed....i don't like adidas apparel...sizing is way too inconsistent...and those stripes...they drive me nutz...

I saw a Bobcats Jordan Brand t-shirt the other night during the game. Actually made me want to cop a NBA t-shirt for the first time in years.

I don't wear three stripes...

I think you misread the report. This is about pressuring Adidas to keep various jobs in the USA.

Nike was the first major sporting goods company to start using outsourcing and sweat shops to save costs and now do most of their manufacturing in Cambodia andHong Kong. If you think they're next up, you're way off. This is just a senator trying to get Adidas to keep jobs local. As the article said, Adidashas the most USA-based jobs for a sports apparel company.

Swapping Adidas for Nike because of USA-production makes as much sense as going from a Toyota to a Hummer for better gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I saw a Bobcats Jordan Brand t-shirt the other night during the game. Actually made me want to cop a NBA t-shirt for the first time in years.

I don't wear three stripes...
What do you want, a cookie? You're like the George W of Nike Talk. You think being obstinante and close minded and sticking to your guns withno regards for facts or reality is a good thing. Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

I think you misread the report. This is about pressuring Adidas to keep various jobs in the USA.

Nike was the first major sporting goods company to start using outsourcing and sweat shops to save costs and now do most of their manufacturing in Cambodia and Hong Kong. If you think they're next up, you're way off. This is just a senator trying to get Adidas to keep jobs local. As the article said, Adidas has the most USA-based jobs for a sports apparel company.

Swapping Adidas for Nike because of USA-production makes as much sense as going from a Toyota to a Hummer for better gas mileage.
I think I did hastily read that article actually, as u did pinpoint it was about trying to keep the jobs local....however the theme of the enquirystill remains.... if this negotiation were to be unsuccessful and it does happen that Adidas is dropped because they disagree on the manufacturing locationsand the associated labour issues....someone would need to step in? Hence wondering the possibility of a Nike return. That is also what drove my last question,since I am aware that Nike's factories are in places like Hong Kong, etc... it would seem a bit counter-productive where this argument by the Senator isconcerned, but couldn't something be worked out? Wouldn't Nike be able to pick up a contract with the company Adidas would leave etc...or would thesame problem which Adidas have cited in trying to reduce costs be something that Nike would avoid as well....

but thanks for pointing out my original error in interpretation
wink.gif

We need to bring jobs home...i would pay more for a shirt made in the USA and shoes too...bring the jobs home.

I don't brand mix-match. Not even with Jordan & Nike. I've purposely dunked on people for wearing Reebok/Adidas with Nike or Jordan. It'shard when I go to L.A. & pick up a Lakers shirt/jersey made by Adidas & I wear it with Nikes. It doesn't feel right.

i would lvoe to see jordan brand be the official outfitter...along with his number being widely retired, he would take over

Originally Posted by toosmoove29

I don't brand mix-match. Not even with Jordan & Nike. I've purposely dunked on people for wearing Reebok/Adidas with Nike or Jordan. It's hard when I go to L.A. & pick up a Lakers shirt/jersey made by Adidas & I wear it with Nikes. It doesn't feel right.
I respect your opinion and all, but i just don't get why many people do this.
You guys draped in Hanes head to toe if yall got some Hanes socks, boxers, or Tee's on?

I never understood brand loyalty, its just ridiculous IMO because people just ignore the fact that its a different brand despite the quality, color, but thebrand name itself.

sick.gif
NomadicSole21 wrote:

I don't brand mix-match. Not even with Jordan & Nike. I've purposely dunked on people for wearing Reebok/Adidas with Nike or Jordan. It's hard when I go to L.A. & pick up a Lakers shirt/jersey made by Adidas & I wear it with Nikes. It doesn't feel right.
You guys draped in Hanes head to toe if yall got some Hanes socks, boxers, or Tee's on?

I never understood brand loyalty, its just ridiculous IMO because people just ignore the fact that its a different brand despite the quality, color, but the brand name itself.

well you're right it is ridicuolous...thats because it's a concept of positive subjectivity that companies try to cultivate towards their brand....itis meant to work like a "brainwashing" type of mechanism to sway and retain customers...and fortunately with stellar reputations, and positivecustomer experiences, the companies are validated as tops and hence the trouble some thing called brand loyalty. Its just a mind thing that some brands areable to work....and to me the more effectively it is worked, (through effective marketing and superior quality products) the more powerful the brand is.Remember branding and quality is something that is perecived by the consumer. I must say that I am terribly brand loyal as well and to agree withtoosmoove29 cuz after my little Iverson binge from the Questions to the Answer 5 (skipping the Answer3's though
sick.gif
) I would wear nothing but Nike or JB, and still to thisday its the same, and I absolutely cannot do a Reebok/Adi tee and wear Nike's either, it just feels wrong. I've mentioned in the NBA Feet thread thatAdidas have made some exceptionally good shoes over the past few years, looks and performance have definitely stepped up, but just out of loyalty I still cantsee myself purchasing- some would agree, some would say foolish and truly I agree with both.

There are something's that are just not made to be understood and honestly thats one of them, it's a theory that is mysterious as its mainly a contructof psychology that brands have to manipulate the best way they can through their offerings of marketing visibility and product quality. In a perfect world, tostay within topic, Adidas' contract would be dropped and Nike take over and then mostly everyone will breathe easy again
happy.gif

and yea that "purposely dunked on" line by toosmoove29 was funny!!!
laugh.gif
I never thought of having that mindset on the court as an extramotivator!
laugh.gif
definitely one of several phrases that could compete forquote of the year on NT
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

Nike was the first major sporting goods company to start using outsourcing and sweat shops to save costs and now do most of their manufacturing in Cambodia and Hong Kong. If you think they're next up, you're way off. This is just a senator trying to get Adidas to keep jobs local. As the article said, Adidas has the most USA-based jobs for a sports apparel company.
First of all, I absolutely agree that this is primarily a PR stand by Senator Schumer to try and shame adidas from moving jobs out of hisconsitituency... politically, a completely understandable move on his part.

To your first assertion above, though: can you actually cite your source for this? Nike's most recent list of contract factories lists a grand total of3 companies in Cambodia, and 12 in Hong Kong. (There are 47 USA companies onthis list.)

To your second assertion above: the article actually says that the NBA called adidas "the mostsignificant user of U.S. facilities to manufacture sports league apparel." I searched for this supposed NBA press release and can't find itanywhere online (if someone else can, please share.) If it is real, it's confusingly worded, in my opinion. I think the NBA could only possibly bespeaking regarding who makes the products for their own league, and not presuming to speak for the entire wide world ofsports and every sporting goods company... without some actual facts to back it up, I highly doubt the sweeping statement that "adidas has the mostUSA-based jobs for a sports apparel company".

Originally Posted by jmizzo

fingers crossed....i don't like adidas apparel...sizing is way too inconsistent...and those stripes...they drive me nutz...

I despise adidas apparel, stupid flower logos, and three stripes all over. Makes me sick.

I'm always looking for ways to cover up the logo on certain Lakers gear that I like.

you guys are nuts being that baised and close to nike. It doesn't bother me when i wear Nike Mid-calf socks and Adidas Football Cleats. i don't see whyit would to people.

the only difference is a Swoosh and 3 lines

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

you guys are nuts being that baised and close to nike. It doesn't bother me when i wear Nike Mid-calf socks and Adidas Football Cleats. i don't see why it would to people.

The sole reason why we are all here, why wouldn't we be biased?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Why not wear Nike football cleats though?
nerd.gif

Thats wierd that this topic came up...I was out shopping and stopped by the local mom and pop store, they had Nike Washington Wizard shooting shirts for 50bucks. I thought to myself that's strange I though addidas was the major NBA apperal!?

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]You guys draped in Hanes head to toe if yall got some Hanes socks, boxers, or Tee's on?[/color]

I never understood brand loyalty, its just ridiculous IMO because people just ignore the fact that its a different brand despite the quality, color, but the brand name itself.
okay for starters im back .. its been a while. second of all, I've had plenty of Nike's over the years including the Zoom Vapor Trainers,Shox XT, and Diamond Turf's to name three. Right now I ball with the Shox BB4 ID (blue/blue) and Huarache 2k4's so I am a fan of the swoosh.

but this brand loyalty is taking it too far. not to put words in your mouth, but your telling me (hypothetical) the only way it would feel right for you towear those UNLV Nike shorts is if you also had on

Nike socks, a Nike headband, Nike shoes, Nike compression shorts and how could I forget the Nike wristbands + shooting sleeve as well. brand loyalty is onething .. but what feels weird about brand mixing? would you ever wear eastbay shorts? or is that out of the question

**speaking of brand loyalty back in high school I was at a soccer camp and one day did go "all Nike" and wasn't even aware of it, till a teammatepointed out and I was wearing shoes, socks, shorts and a shirt all from Nike.

I can understand being loyal to a brand, but unless your signed by Nike ... why's it so weird to mix and match?

"I've purposely dunked on people," lol. But actually, not one to mince words either, I am with this dude. I don't even mix Nike with JBeither, but that is more because I am OCD than anything. But brand loyalty is what these companies strive for and there is a lot of loyalty out there to behad.

MP23 wrote:
"I've purposely dunked on people," lol. But actually, not one to mince words either, I am with this dude. I don't even mix Nike with JB either, but that is more because I am OCD than anything. But brand loyalty is what these companies strive for and there is a lot of loyalty out there to be had.
Originally Posted by jmizzo

^^^ lol ...purposely dunked on....love it...
bundy9 wrote:

and yea that "purposely dunked on" line by toosmoove29 was funny!!!
laugh.gif
I never thought of having that mindset on the court as an extra motivator!
laugh.gif
definitely one of several phrases that could compete for quote of the year on NT
laugh.gif

I'm glad you guys like the humor in that.

NomadicSole21 wrote:

toosmoove29 wrote:

I'm brand loyal with everything. Sony TV, Sony entertainment system, Sony MP3 player (I'll be switching it up with the Monster Beats byDre headphones. Nothing compares at the moment). My dad is ex-GM so all I drive is General Motors vehicles and that's withoutusing his GMS discount, btw. I have a narrow foot so all I wear is Nike. It just doesn't make sense to me to wear Nike shoes with Adidas shorts& a Reebok shirt.

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

you guys are nuts being that baised and close to nike. It doesn't bother me when i wear Nike Mid-calf socks and Adidas Football Cleats. i don't see why it would to people.

They make matching apparel for a reason, IMO. If wasn't meant to be matched up they wouldn't make shoes, socks, shirts,shorts, pants, jackets, tank tops, spandex shorts.......... If Nike made drawls I'd wear them joints.

Can they !%$+@#* make a size 36 already in authentic jerseys so I dont look like I'm wearing a damn dress in the smallest size!! I'm 5'10 btw! Buti like my jerseys to fit me!

Back
Top Bottom