Cover Letter tips anyone?

What I've come to learn is that there is no secret to a cover letter, the purpose of them really seems to be "Lets see if he will forget to put something in there". Its just to see if you say the things that have been deemed necessary to have in one by lord knows who. I've revised mine a bunch and seen some from my friends, while the word choice may be different they all say the same thing, and we're all employed. You can really just write one cover letter and swap out some things and you'll be fine IMO. Throw in the generic "background info about the company, how you'll be a great fit, and express your interest" stuff that every other person is doing and thats about it.

I mean when you go on the interview the employer never brings it with them even though more often than not something you said in there is cause for a question, I'm starting to doubt that they get read and not skimmed over moreso than resumes are.

I started using a template that I wrote. Just highlighted stuff that I would swap out for other stuff in red depending on what I was applying for and leave the rest of it the same.

For example.
It was with great interest that I came across the job posting for the job  on your website. I've done xyx for 123 years and I feel that I will be a great assest to your company. I feel that a position such as doing whatever it is will help me to learn more about the whatever industry this is while adding value to your company

Cover letter is all about selling yourself. Keep it short and brief. The entire letter should be no more than a third of a page. Employers hate reading and will not sit though a page long or half a page long cover letter.

Start by letting them know the position you're applying for.

Second is introducing yourself (current position you hold, where you went to school and major). Briefly go over your interest in working for the company. If possible research the company and find something about them worth noting and compliment them on it.

After your introduction, sell yourself. Briefly go over what you've done--or know how to do, and tell them how your skills can benefit the company. Let them know how proficient you are with your skills and how long you've had these skills. (i say skills because with engineers you sell yourself based on computer program skills, math, and management skills). After you've sold yourself, give them a salary requirement for you services (only if they ask for it).

If they offer the position to you and you're not satisfied with the compensation don't be afraid to negotiate a better offer (negotiating also comes with experience), and don't be afraid to decline low blow offers.

Follow these tips and you should be good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom