Dallas or Houston

NT fam,

I currently live in Tampa Bay and I'm almost done with my Web Development Degree. Tampa Bay is boring as hell and I been here going on 3 years. I use to be stationed in Texas but it was a small border town. I'm trying to get an idea of living in Dallas or Houston from NTers. Cali would be cool but the cost of living is OD. I been to Dallas for AllStar Weekend, but that's was it. Trying to get some insight. I'm 27 going on 28

Cost of living in Cali isn't OD everywhere tho. The bay it is. LA county as a whole is not plus your pay will be higher.

From what I hear n see when visiting, Houston is becoming more expensive and like a semi satellite la esp with all the transplants and Dallas is honorable mention.

In conclusion, if I were you I would move to la county. You won't regret it esp if you are single.

So many similarities.

From Tampa. Did much undergrad at USF but I've been in Houston for just over a year.

Moved here when I was about 27. Houston has way more to offer than Tampa. Don't know much about Dallas though.
I go to SPC currently. I use to be stationed at Macdill but got out and stayed out here. I went out last night and man the same faces you see. Its like a reality TV show and the need to be little local celebrities is terrible.
GOD LVL: KOBE

1. Curry
2. LeBron
3. KD
4. Westbrook
5. Kawhi
6. Paul
7. Lillard
8. Harden
9. AD
10. Boogie

Honorable Mentions: Lowry, PG...

Srs...
Man I cant really argue this too much. I still would slide him over Lillard. Harden has been a savage since coming to Houston, but he has regressed again defensively this year. It's crazy its like he said I had a MVP type season last year and didn't win it so now he back to scoring and being a turnstile. And Bron aint better KD  at this point to me. Mental ****** *** dude. Jump-shot is atrocious. Dude has became "Twitter-fingers" instead of in the lab shooting jumpers again. GSW in 4 straight blowouts against them this time if they meet in the Finals.
QFT again.

If you like discovering new things/cuisine/cultures, Houston is where it's at. If you need any food recommendations, just LMK with a type of food.

In regards to the suburbs, it's huge, can literally take an hour to get into the city city (downtown area) from the suburbs. Traffic sucks, but any major city has it's traffic woes. Lived in Tomball as well for a little less than a year, moved right back into the heart of the city though. Convenience factor is huge to me.
I'm going to come down for a trip and see how it is. I'm also going to do some due diligence on the Developer scene down there as well. i appreciate everybody insight in here!

I can't do traffic.

Just off that I could never live LA or Houston.

Fun to visit though.

You could make it work. My fiancée's commute is less than 20 minutes and doesn't involve a freeway.

OP if you're single I would look into Cali even if it's just for a year or two. Worry about COL when you're starting a family

You could make it work. My fiancée's commute is less than 20 minutes and doesn't involve a freeway.

OP if you're single I would look into Cali even if it's just for a year or two. Worry about COL when you're starting a family
I'll keep that in that mind. I haven't been to Cali yet, but seems like I been everywhere else in the world. From what I see from tidbits of shows on TV, YouTube Channels, and IG pages it looks like it really is fire like people say. I had a friend that said LA really is what you hear about, but you gotta be making that paper tho. I'm going to take a trip soon as well this year. I'm definitely moving though once this degree is done early next year and i have my portfolio  right.

LA is a very material place.

Id live in like Huntingdon Beach :pimp:

LA is like an upgraded NYC to me. (before the war commences, you cant argue the weather and scenery is superior) GREAT in small doses... i need my elbow room

Last edited:
How bad is the traffic in both cities?

Cant speak on Dallas, but Houston really isnt THAT bad, granted theres no accidents.

If you know how to drive your car and use alternate routes, traffic wont be too much of an issue.

Oh and avoid 45 at all cost.

Lived in both cities. Both great places. Can't really say one is better then the other although i was born in dallas.

I moved to Dallas a year ago from the NYC area. I actually was talking to my GF about this. We are biased because there's so much to do in the Northeast, but we are growing tired of Texas and trying to make the move to Cali.

We like to travel and we've been to Forth Worth,Austin, San Antonio, and Houston already as well. But out of all the cities I liked San Antonio the best in terms of sightseeing.

I keep hearing Houston is great and things to do, but can someone elaborate? I didn't find it great when I went. Yea you have the beach, but Galveston isn't all that nice. Anybody from up north knows we have beaches with long boardwalks and so much to do ( Coney Island, Rockaway, Wildwood, Seaside Heights)

Pros-
Low cost of living
Lots of land
Dallas Job Market is excellent (5 new Headquarters including Toyota, Chase, Liberty Mutual)
Weather is nice except for the very hot summer days

Cons-
Not very diverse in terms of ethnicity
Very right-winged republican thinking mindset
You have every Fast Food chain, but hard to comeby Local Mom and Pop restaurants
Weather in Summer (100 Degrees F for 2-3 months straight)
There are Lakes but no beaches around

By the way anybody heading to South by Southwest? I'll be there this weekend, let's link up.

I moved to Dallas a year ago from the NYC area. I actually was talking to my GF about this. We are biased because there's so much to do in the Northeast, but we are growing tired of Texas and trying to make the move to Cali.

We like to travel and we've been to Forth Worth,Austin, San Antonio, and Houston already as well. But out of all the cities I liked San Antonio the best in terms of sightseeing.

I keep hearing Houston is great and things to do, but can someone elaborate? I didn't find it great when I went. Yea you have the beach, but Galveston isn't all that nice. Anybody from up north knows we have beaches with long boardwalks and so much to do ( Coney Island, Rockaway, Wildwood, Seaside Heights)

Pros-
Low cost of living
Lots of land
Dallas Job Market is excellent (5 new Headquarters including Toyota, Chase, Liberty Mutual)
Weather is nice except for the very hot summer days

Cons-
Not very diverse in terms of ethnicity
Very right-winged republican thinking mindset
You have every Fast Food chain, but hard to comeby Local Mom and Pop restaurants
Weather in Summer (100 Degrees F for 2-3 months straight)
There are Lakes but no beaches around

By the way anybody heading to South by Southwest? I'll be there this weekend, let's link up.

Honestly there ain't **** in Houston that's distinctively different from anyother major metropolitan area.

Houston has so much free stuff to do! I haven't been to dallas but Houston has like 10x as many museums and such as Orlando.

Food trucks are pretty legit in Houston. Been here for almost 2 years. I don't want to be here forever, but I got love for the city.

Dallas is cool though. I passed through there, but I hear the people are Bougie (spell check) up there. "Home of the $30,000 Millionaire" according to my coworker.

Austin is by far the best city in Texas.

Food trucks are pretty legit in Houston. Been here for almost 2 years. I don't want to be here forever, but I got love for the city.

Dallas is cool though. I passed through there, but I hear the people are Bougie (spell check) up there. "Home of the $30,000 Millionaire" according to my coworker.

Dallas is more "bougie" because there is more money and opportunity here.

I just hired a chick 3 months ago that moved from Houston to Dallas because she couldn't find a job in her field.

I've **** on Austin for years but I've finally come around. I'm raising my kid in Austin.

Last edited:

I can co-sign on the $30,000 millionaire statement. That's one of the 1st things I heard when I came here. The cost of living is so low that you can actually stunt on 40k a year.

My co-worker just bought a house for $235k built from the ground up 2 Story house 5 bedrooms in north suburbs of Dallas. The auto insurance rates are so much lower. I literally pay 6 months for 1 month of what I would pay up north in Jersey. Then again I did live in the Hudson county, one of the most populous and diverse in the country.

There is nothing better aboutdallas...its a yuppie town.

Nowhere near as diverse or interesting.

Diverse in what?

From my personal experience Dallas isn't as diverse in ethnicities and food.

Everybody here assumes you are mexican if you speak spanish, which is not the case. Alot of people I've caught saying borderline racist remarks, yet they don't care. Lots of Trump fans here :smh:

In terms of food, you can't get any Cuban, Colombian, Argentinian, Dominican, other Latin country types of food really.

I can't settle for "Pollo Tropical", that's the equivalent of Olive Garden to Italians. :rolleyes

Dallas is just the main hub for the metroplex.
Everything is in the suburbs. That's where your diversity is.

Houston is more inclusive. It's definitely a great city.
That Gulf Coast way of life is very inviting.
People in Houston are probably more welcoming than people here in Dallas.

Some people in Dallas legit try to live and carry themselves like the characters in the old TV show "Dallas".

Texas is a great place to raise a family.

Last edited:
From my personal experience Dallas isn't as diverse in ethnicities and food.

Everybody here assumes you are mexican if you speak spanish, which is not the case. Alot of people I've caught saying borderline racist remarks, yet they don't care. Lots of Trump fans here :smh:

In terms of food, you can't get any Cuban, Colombian, Argentinian, Dominican, other Latin country types of food really.

I can't settle for "Pollo Tropical", that's the equivalent of Olive Garden to Italians. :rolleyes
This is very true..

The thing I hate the most about Dallas is the subtle racism. Lot of trump fans but they don't wear it on their sleeve, I've only seen one Trump yard sign (in Highland Park so :rolleyes) and maybe two Trump stickers. Then there's the "Draw Mohammad" contest :x :smh:

In terms of diversity in food, you have to look around. I've found a variety of authentic foods through social media food bloggers.

Interesting. I plan on moving once my money is saved up and staying there for only 2 years max.

That house is not made out of brick son. Stone veneer is cheap and can be put on any house. Any who, allow me to show you this snake oil I have for sale......
y you mad? i jus picked a random house. the point remains... large, nice homes are affordable there veneer or not

a family makin 150k plus there can live like kings. again, sign me up.

Back
Top Bottom