Dark Girls: Documentary On deep-seated biases and attitudes about skin color (Dark Girls: 10 PM: OWN

Sadly this is very evident in Sudan, where I'm from. You see expecting parents actively hoping their daughters are light skinned so that they can find husbands for them. Dark-skinned daughters are like their worst nightmare. Some daughters are prevented from to much sun exposure so they stay as light as possible, Its a tragic and outdated way of thinking, but it is still very prevalent in Sudanese culture. 

the dark skinned prejudice isn't limited to americans. southeast asians face a lot of discrimination/alienation from within their own culture due to their complexion too. the post-colonial world has been brainwashed by europeans... i hate to point fingers but it's the truth.

there's a collective lack of compassion in this thread and i'm not surprised. i can tell who is not dark skinned or black by the dispositions in here.

my lil sis is starting hs this year, and it's at a predominantly white private school. she is physically beautiful (it's in the blood) but she's kelly rowland complexion and has told me that the white girls at her school are prettier than her. she's intelligent but intelligence doesn't render you exempt from societal pressures. i have to do my best to instill dogged confidence in her so that she can hold her head high in ANY environment, because it is a challenge.

a random related story:

one of my exes is nigerian. we were at a laundromat owned by some koreans and the manager asked her if she wanted to buy bleaching cream.

she said, "my dotta was dahk like yoo... she used dees now she light lahk me. try dees."
sick.gif

you're only lying to yourself if you don't expect things like that to affect someone's self esteem. and it's reinforced by the portrayals of beauty on television, in music and in (the absolute most) fashion.

it's a war going on outside no man is safe from. stay strong my ******.

Last edited:
the dark skinned prejudice isn't limited to americans. southeast asians face a lot of discrimination/alienation from within their own culture due to their complexion too. the post-colonial world has been brainwashed by europeans... i hate to point fingers but it's the truth.

there's a collective lack of compassion in this thread and i'm not surprised. i can tell who is not dark skinned or black by the dispositions in here.

my lil sis is starting hs this year, and it's at a predominantly white private school. she is physically beautiful (it's in the blood) but she's kelly rowland complexion and has told me that the white girls at her school are prettier than her. she's intelligent but intelligence doesn't render you exempt from societal pressures. i have to do my best to instill dogged confidence in her so that she can hold her head high in ANY environment, because it is a challenge.

a random related story:

one of my exes is nigerian. we were at a laundromat owned by some koreans and the manager asked her if she wanted to buy bleaching cream.

she said, "my dotta was dahk like yoo... she used dees now she light lahk me. try dees." :x

you're only lying to yourself if you don't expect things like that to affect someone's self esteem. and it's reinforced by the portrayals of beauty on television, in music and in (the absolute most) fashion.

it's a war going on outside no man is safe from. stay strong my ******.

You are a good big bro.

This young guy told me Id be a "10" if I was red, in a "joking" matter

Hit him with the

We had a deep convo after that,I know it was a psychological thing because the first time I walked into that job he couldnt stop staring
I think he didnt understand how he could like a non red girl.

Last edited:
You are a good big bro.

This young guy told me Id be a "10" if I was red, in a "joking" matter

Hit him with the

We had a deep convo after that,I know it was a psychological thing because the first time I walked into that job he couldnt stop staring
I think he didnt understand how he could like a none red girl.
thank you.

who is that in the gif?
nerd.gif

might **** around and turn this into a dark skin appreciation thread.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
^Kenya Moore.. she needs to chill out with the surgery doe

Last edited:
Why? Its a preference. That does not mean hes a dark skin hating person.

I like thicker chicks, doesn't mean i dislike skinny chicks
You can alter weight, but you can't alter skin color. Well, naturally that is..

There are tons of beautiful black women out there, I just feel that they never get enough publicity. You rarely see sexy dark females posted on magazines, or doing miss USA pageants, not the center piece of any tv shows/movies... Dark people get stiff armed for everything, just so these companies can get more attention and better raitings by using lighter toned people.

Just finished watching it. I thought it was a good watch. They did not cover black women's views on dark skinned men and they low key shaded some black men for dating outside the race, I expected these things though. It was a good doc though, I'm going to watch it again.

I've been made fun of for being Blackity-Black. But I never heard of women cracking on each other skin tone.

I've been made fun of for being Blackity-Black. But I never heard of women cracking on each other skin tone.
it's weird cuz in the hood, light. Skins go FAR. To keep up with the dark skinned girlies.

Hate to bring parents back in the fold... but my mama is black as a muh. Darkest one in our family ...

I swear I've never seen her confidence waver because of her skin color. but she did say she used to get made fun of because of her color.

I would think she musta went thru a LOT to get to that point.

I also think because she went thru that, she instilled in me not to care about my color or other's

Some of y'all are purposely ignoring and downplaying the influence of pop culture and American culture as a whole on the self esteem of black women and how it objectifies them especially the darker ones.even Scandal main character is just a side chick who wants the president .

Last edited:
Some of y'all are purposely ignoring and downplaying the influence of pop culture and American culture as a whole on the self esteem of black women and how it objectifies them especially the darker ones.even Scandal main character is just a side chick who wants the president .
And that's exactly why I can't watch that show( especially Kerry Washington fine hazelnut ***).....
It truly does mess with your self esteem especially in hs( a girl told me I was cute for a dark guy), it took me years to figure that out...
Like why can't I just be cute, lol
And I truly love some chocolate women( I just like women of all genres) but its hard to crack them open because this stuff has been ingrained into the black American psyche for so long and it's literally killing our community
Even when I dated my last ex who was Chinese her mom was like" I never met a nice, dark black man before", I don't k ow if I will ever see dark complexion ever excepted in society but I would never want to be lighter or any other "color", I learned to love myself along time ago, but I wish I knew a solution to all this madness plaguing my brothas and sidters

Someone on my facebook list made a valid point on a status update. She said why are we still arguing dark vs light skin in the black community in this age when other groups of people are taking over the world

What's the valid point about that? What other group(s) are taking over the world?

I only know of one and they certainly didn't just start.

Last edited:
To many Black Americans are still trying to heavily assimilate into the European culture, instead of learning about their African lineage. Hard to have pride and self worth if you don't know who you are, and how prestigious the family is you come from.

That information not being abundant is an issue in its self..

What's the valid point about that? What other group(s) are taking over the world?

I only know of one and they certainly didn't just start.

I'm sure it was an exagerration about taking over the world but how are we as blacks going to rise and overcome if we're still fighting each other over skin color. When did School Daze come out where the dark skin sorority was arguing withe light skin sorority? This is not slave times where massa allowed the light skin workers to work indoors

To many Black Americans are still trying to heavily assimilate into the European culture, instead of learning about their African lineage. Hard to have pride and self worth if you don't know who you are, and how prestigious the family is you come from.

That information not being abundant is an issue in its self..
That is the issue. Some of yall need to go home and see how beautiful black ppl really are and learn about who you are. Yall quick to go to miami and vegas to party, but NEVER think about the motherland. SMH. Yall can't love yourself because yah dont know yourself.

I'm sure it was an exagerration about taking over the world but how are we as blacks going to rise and overcome if we're still fighting each other over skin color. When did School Daze come out where the dark skin sorority was arguing withe light skin sorority? This is not slave times where massa allowed the light skin workers to work indoors
Slavery is mental these days. That lasts much longer than physical slavery.

Slavery is mental these days. That lasts much longer than physical slavery.
Its always been more mental than physical. In a place where if you have even a hint of color your called black, black people still sectioning themselves from each other(dark vs light, city blacks vs southern blacks, Africans vs African Americans, Dominicans vs African Americans)

Its all because we don't know each other and dont understand how our heritage to Africa is all related.

Man people make too much of this. I can't worry about unattractive people of either shade whining about not getting a man. Hell where the documentary on Own "short men" or "I make 50k but I'm not good enough for her cause she make 55k" or any other way alot of women probably these too use to justify not talking to certain men. I'm really supposed to care that much about people who probably are unattractive no matter what shade they are? Good smoke screen by the dark skin union lol cause I guess now people can't have a prefrence. When I see fine dark skin women getting passed over for duck light skin chicks wholesale I'll believe in this theory but until then this is just junk.

So I got teased for being light, y'all got teased for being dark skin, how does this work? We ain't that damn subconscious as a people are we?

I never thought it was that big of a deal. I've seen pretty dark women with a lot of confidence and ugly ones who play that people think I'm ugly cuz I'm dark card. Na ***** you just ugly. People stay looking for acceptance from others. If you accept yourself everything else will follow. Stop blaming others for your insecurities.

Back
Top Bottom