Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Netflix is standing by Dave because they think it's profitable to do so.

I very much doubt it's because of any grand principle or commitment to free speech.
Tons of people are gonna act like Netflix is being principled

A ton of people are gonna be cool with an angry mob going after this person if their name gets out

As with the "boy" thing, you're gonna see how cool people become with behaviors they just said they had an issue with

Say less fam
1634334580277.png
If they clip me, I'm clearing out the office supply warehouse on my way out the door

Finna make a living trapping stationery on the Vegas strip

Steno Pads 2 for $1, come holla at me

tracy-morgan-hustle-man-scene.png

Last edited:
Bro if sharing company data with other employees opens up circumstances for the info to leak, then most white-collar workers are guilty of that every day.

I should get fired for the reports I sent out this morning, or the data request I am working on right now for a VP.

Netflix is claiming she leaked it herself, if she did, then yes that is a firable offense. But the person is disputing the reason specific reason Netflix is giving for her termination

I feel you and under that tweet they’re saying this is the second time this week that Netflix has had a questionable firing related to this and tried to put it on something else so who knows fr

but if what they’re saying is true, you or me fwd’ing spreadsheets or whatever in our regular office job is a little different than her putting out private metrics for such a high profile situation that can fuel a whole entertainment/news story. Hell you actually may be liable to be fired in a regular office job if you’re sharing info that’s on a need to know basis with employees that don’t need to know :lol:

I feel you and under that tweet they’re saying this is the second time this week that Netflix has had a questionable firing related to this and tried to put it on something else so who knows fr

but if what they’re saying is true, you or me fwd’ing spreadsheets or whatever in our regular office job is a little different than her putting out private metrics for such a high profile situation that can fuel a whole entertainment/news story. Hell you actually may be liable to be fired in a regular office job if you’re sharing info that’s on a need to know basis with employees that don’t need to know :lol:
The info she shared is hardly extreme.

I have worked at jobs that have to file constant testimony with federal and state regulators, departments email all kinds of sensitive **** to one another

We have consultants too, we send them all kinds of data regarding our business.

Nearly all out HR training is about preventing the info to fall into the hands of non-authorized outside sources.

Any, putting that aside, Netflix gave a specific reason why they fired her. She is denying doing the specific thing.

So we can talk about how serious her sharing the info with employees is or isn't. Netflix themselves didn't cite that as the reason they fired her.

That David Dennis guy is a living example of some of the class dynamics
Dave is talking about in the Closer
just the black version of it.

This article is great on this subject.

showing immense contempt for the sensibilities of working class black people
can be a form of cultural currency for black cultural elites.

working for the Walt Disney corporation while confidently claiming Dave is exempt from genius status.

it's 2021 respectability politics. Don't agree with the college educated white cultural elite consensus?
well you need to "do better"

Last edited:
Netflix has fired a leader of the trans employee resource group who was organizing the upcoming October 20th walkout. The employee, who is Black and currently pregnant, asked not to be named for fear of online harassment. They have been encouraging trans employees and allies to walk out of work in protest of Netflix’s handling of the Dave Chappelle special The Closer. The employee declined to speak to The Verge for this story.

“All these white people are going around talking to the press and speaking publicly on Twitter and the only person who gets fired is the Black person who was quiet the entire time,” says a former employee in an interview with The Verge. “That’s absurd, and just further shows that Black trans people are the ones being targeted in this conversation.”

The employee was terminated on suspicion of leaking metrics to the press related to the Dave Chappelle special. Those metrics — about how much Netflix paid for The Closer and how many people it reached — subsequently ended up in a report on Bloomberg. While the employee had shared the metrics internally, they spoke out against the leaks to colleagues, worried they might hurt the walkout movement.

The leaking of internal data is highly unusual at Netflix. While the company prides itself on transparency, employees are told that the culture can only thrive when Netflix data remains internal.

A Netflix spokesperson confirmed the employees’ dismissal. “We have let go of an employee for sharing confidential, commercially sensitive information outside the company,” they said. “We understand this employee may have been motivated by disappointment and hurt with Netflix, but maintaining a culture of trust and transparency is core to our company.”

That David Dennis guy is a living example of some of the class dynamics
Dave is talking about in the Closer
just the black version of it.

This article is great on this subject.

showing immense contempt for the sensibilities of working class black people
can be a form of cultural currency for black cultural elites.

working for the Walt Disney corporation while confidently claiming Dave is exempt from genius status.

it's 2021 respectability politics. Don't agree with the college educated white cultural elite consensus?
well you need to "do better"

mike-brown-huh.gif

Netflix has fired a leader of the trans employee resource group who was organizing the upcoming October 20th walkout. The employee, who is Black and currently pregnant, asked not to be named for fear of online harassment. They have been encouraging trans employees and allies to walk out of work in protest of Netflix’s handling of the Dave Chappelle special The Closer. The employee declined to speak to The Verge for this story.

“All these white people are going around talking to the press and speaking publicly on Twitter and the only person who gets fired is the Black person who was quiet the entire time,” says a former employee in an interview with The Verge. “That’s absurd, and just further shows that Black trans people are the ones being targeted in this conversation.”

The employee was terminated on suspicion of leaking metrics to the press related to the Dave Chappelle special. Those metrics — about how much Netflix paid for The Closer and how many people it reached — subsequently ended up in a report on Bloomberg. While the employee had shared the metrics internally, they spoke out against the leaks to colleagues, worried they might hurt the walkout movement.

The leaking of internal data is highly unusual at Netflix. While the company prides itself on transparency, employees are told that the culture can only thrive when Netflix data remains internal.

A Netflix spokesperson confirmed the employees’ dismissal. “We have let go of an employee for sharing confidential, commercially sensitive information outside the company,” they said. “We understand this employee may have been motivated by disappointment and hurt with Netflix, but maintaining a culture of trust and transparency is core to our company.”
Yes,

Netflix is saying one thing

The employee is denying

Bro if sharing company data with other employees opens up circumstances for the info to leak, then most white-collar workers are guilty of that every day.

I should get fired for the reports I sent out this morning, or the data request I am working on right now for a VP. Sharing data with other employee is not big thing unless an employee is specifically not allowed to see something.

Netflix is claiming she leaked it herself, if she did, then yes that is a firable offense. But the person is disputing the reason specific reason Netflix is giving for her termination

i can't comment on whether her firing is fair or not, but having some dealings with Netflix.
there is a pretty material difference in the way they treat their internal metrics and other media companies.

partners and vendors you would think would have some access to relevant viewer metrics usually don't
shows get cancelled and it's pretty vague as to why in a way that it isn't for other companies.

so it wouldn't surprise me if this is fireable in a way it wouldn't be at other companies.

i can't comment on whether her firing is fair or not, but having some dealings with Netflix.
there is a pretty material different way they treat their internal metrics and other media companies.

partners and vendors you would think would have some access to relevant viewer metrics usually don't
shows get cancelled and it's pretty vague as to way in a way that it isn't for other companies.
Cool

But again, Netflix is not saying her sharing data with other employees is what got her fired

If she did, and they have proof, fine. She crossed the red line and had to be terminated

But Netflix is not citing her acting with supply another employee with the data as the reason

Yes,

Netflix is saying one thing

The employee is denying

If I steal from a company, give the stolen goods to another employee to fence, am I innocent?

IJS we might not want to jump to conclusions because we don't know.

Pretty sure Netflix knows who has access to what.

Odd that nothing ever leaked before this person tried organizing a protest against her employer while being employed by said employer.

I mean if you really want to protest why keep cashing the checks?

If I steal from a company, give the stolen goods to another employee to fence, am I innocent?

IJS we might not want to jump to conclusions because we don't know.

Pretty sure Netflix knows who has access to what.
Who stole what? Your analogy doesn't make sense.

Are you a mind reader to know that was her intention?

In the article you cite, it says the employee told people not to leak it, because they didn't want to undermine the planned walk out

Netflix would know who has access to what, but given their statement they need to know who gave the info to the press. Those are two different things.

Cool

But again, Netflix is not saying her sharing data with other employees is what got her fired

If she did, and they have proof, fine. She crossed the red line and had to be terminated

But Netflix is not citing her acting with supply another employee with the data as the reason

I certainly am not taking any sides in this,

I just think the David Dennis guy presented it in a purposely inflammatory way.

Who stole what? Your analogy doesn't make sense.

Are you a mind reader to know that was her intention?

In the article you cite, it says the employee told people not to leak it, because they didn't want to undermine the planned walk out

Netflix would know who has access to what, but given their statement they need to know who gave the info to the press. Those are two different things.

" The employee was terminated on suspicion of leaking metrics to the press related to the Dave Chappelle special. "

Even if we take your POV...You aint gotta tell nobody not to leak nothing if you never gave them access to it in the first place.

"Now dont tell nobody I told you" :lol:

I certainly am not taking any sides in this,

I just think the David Dennis guy presented it in a purposely inflammatory way.
Uh?

Famb what does with David Dennis dude have to do with these new developments though?

His tweets seem from a few days ago, and didn't you already quote dude to take issue with his words

I mean you posted about your displeasure about this the day he posted it...

I was made a similar point about Joe Rogan,

but I find the people suddenly turning around and deciding that Dave is bad at comedy,
or "just not funny" because he has politics they find objectionable to be unbelievably stupid...

it's fine if you think Dave's jokes are transphobic, or anti LGBT, that's not some unreasonable opinion to have

but you don't need to invent this baby brain version of reality

where all the bad people you don't like are conveniently also
bad at their jobs and ugly and stupid ect.

this is perfect example of this like disney movie morality. bad people can also be talented.

bad people can be geniuses, there's nothing about being, racist, homophobic, anti semetic ect
that disqualifies you from being a genius level comedian.

people really need to get a grip.

I don't get it, so what, you just needed to repeat your grievance randomly?

Ok dude, I get you don't like what he posted. :lol:

" The employee was terminated on suspicion of leaking metrics to the press related to the Dave Chappelle special. "

Even if we take your POV...You aint gotta tell nobody not to leak nothing if you never gave them access to it in the first place.

"Now dont tell nobody I told you" :lol:
So, um, yeah, mind reading

Gotcha

The thing is, I think even if you are on Dave's side in all this, and like Netflix backing him up, the best defense you can give Netflix with this move is "I can't call it"

I mean if they have proof the person did it, then cool, they were asking to be terminated. I would have no issue saying that

But anything short of that, Netflix is lying their as off to justify firing this employee. Which people should have an issue with

It's a struggle for power no matter what group it is.
But who is power being wrestled from and why is there never any conversation around that?
It's usually from white ppl.

Always found it foolish when minorities in-fight with each other and act like there's a limited amount of focus and power and that it should be one minority group at a time.

Uh?

Famb what does with David Dennis dude have to do with these new developments though?

His tweets seem from a few days ago, and didn't you already quote dude to take issue with his words

I mean you posted about your displeasure about this the day he posted it...

I don't get it, so what, you just needed to repeat your grievance randomly?

Ok dude, I get you don't like what he posted. :lol:

Its an example of what I loath.
Trumped up claims of harm used to stifle debate.

"Cancer culture isn't real! Netflix fired a BLACK and PREGNANT employee so they are obviously wrong and bad and you are bad if you disagree" is the obvious implication.

Then you read the article and it's totally unclear who is wrong or right in the firing.

Its an example of what I loath.
Trumped up claims of harm used to stifle debate.

"Cancer culture isn't real! Netflix fired a BLACK and PREGNANT employee so they are obviously wrong and bad and you are bad if you disagree" is the obvious implication.

Then you read the article and it's totally unclear who is wrong or right in the firing.
Famb you are making litte sense

You don't like dude's comments. You don't like them on 10/15, just like you didn't on 10/6

But dude's comments were about the special not the firing. Or I'm I missing something

Seems like you randomly just got yourself upset at something you already told everyone you are upset about.

Like who called you bad if disagree with what you have in quotes. Who even said that?

You lost me

The thing is, I think even if you are on Dave's side in all this, and like Netflix backing him up, the best defense you can give Netflix with this move is "I can't call it"

I mean if they have proof the person did it, then cool, they were asking to be terminated. I would have no issue saying that

But anything short of that, Netflix is lying their as off to justify firing this employee. Which people should have an issue with
I'd agree with your take here.

That said, I'm of the opinion that many would have been fine with the person being fired for organizing a walkout. So if you were such a person, why would you believe Netflix to lie about the situatuon? Wouldnt add up in such a person's mind to make up grounds to fire that person when they've already provided Netflix with fireable actions.

Famb you are making litte sense

Dude's comments were about the special not the firing. Or I'm I missing something

Seems like you randomly just got yourself upset at something you already told everyone you are upset about.

Like who called you bad if disagree with what you have in quotes. Who even said that?

You lost me

Dude posted the article to show complaints cancel culture aren't legitimate because he's not the one getting canceled.

And then post a link to the story along with the identity markers of the person who got fired to add moral weight to the argument. Aka The true victims are marginalized people.

But you click the article and it's not clear at all the she's been fired unjustly.

He disengensouly framed a story to butress his claim about the real victims of "cancel culture"

Back
Top Bottom