Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Specials don’t quite have that impact as before. It was an event on HBO, there were physical releases on CD and vinyl. There were significantly less specials. Now every comedian has a special, puts it out on YouTube or gets a Netflix deal. It just becomes content rather than a once in a lifetime event. And there’s way too many mid comedians making money. Comedy game has become diluted with hacks. Brendan Schaub has a 30 minute special called Gringo Papi that is absolutely cringe. It will be remembered for all of the wrong reasons. It has 2 million views. It’s a wrap.

100% true. Mid comedians selling out arenas, like Andrew Schulz. Never understood what people see in him

Not a comedian, but even bums like Jordan Petersen are selling out arenas, he has a “event” in my town this spring, smh

IMG_4445.jpeg

IMG_4448.jpeg

IMG_4446.jpeg

IMG_4447.jpeg

Definitely, Rogan gave a lot of hacks life. Especially Schaub. He literally told Schaub on his podcast to quit MMA and become a comic.

Schulz, I would give more credit to CTG for him. And Chris Morrow, who also produced The Combat Jack Show. They unleashed Schulz on the world and he unleashed Osh Kosh.

Definitely, Rogan gave a lot of hacks life. Especially Schaub. He literally told Schaub on his podcast to quit MMA and become a comic.

Schulz, I would give more credit to CTG for him. And Chris Morrow, who also produced The Combat Jack Show. They unleashed Schulz on the world and he unleashed Osh Kosh.

Nah man, Shulz was going IFC movies and really struggling, until Rogan gave him an interview :lol:

That literally blew Shulz up….and Flagrant. Shulz says it himself. Rogan got him a Rolex :lol:.

I used to listen to TBI all the time. Remember their read outs, about what they had going on etc. After the alt right Andy stuff/intervention, Shulz kinda leaned into that type of time…started focusing more on Flagrant etc, and got into the Rogan verse. His blow up was for sure Joe Rogan assisted.

I will give it a watch, but I have liked each one of his specials less and less

It is like watching Penny play in Phoenix. You see flashes of what he was, but that is not enough.

Just hoping there are fewer weak slow-motion post-up trans jokes.

It is going on like 7 years, Dave gotta move one

Yup, Dave benefits from this too.

The barometer for what makes a good standup has definitely changed. Some of them know it too, that they're mediocre and shouldn't be doing arenas.

has it changed?

1704051713870.png

1704051776521.png
1704051796147.png

1704051824738.png

tbh id say it's always been the case that being broadly appealing enough to sell out an arena, means you prob aren't that interesting of a comedian.

Nah man, Shulz was going IFC movies and really struggling, until Rogan gave him an interview :lol:

That literally blew Shulz up….and Flagrant. Shulz says it himself. Rogan got him a Rolex :lol:.

I used to listen to TBI all the time. Remember their read outs, about what they had going on etc. After the alt right Andy stuff/intervention, Shulz kinda leaned into that type of time…started focusing more on Flagrant etc, and got into the Rogan verse. His blow up was for sure Joe Rogan assisted.

I get what you’re saying but without CTG putting Schulz on initially, he wouldn’t get to the point of being recognized enough to get the chance to be on Rogan’s podcast. Everybody gets a Rogan boost but CTG is the first famous face to support Schulz.

has it changed?

1704051713870.png

1704051776521.png
1704051796147.png

1704051824738.png

tbh id say it's always been the case that being broadly appealing enough to sell out an arena, means you prob aren't that interesting of a comedian.
Still somewhat, yeah if even just a slight shift. You say they weren't that interesting, but they all had a 'thing', their own schtick. Now you have the most milquetoast dudes able to tour just off their allegiances.

I get what you’re saying but without CTG putting Schulz on initially, he wouldn’t get to the point of being recognized enough to get the chance to be on Rogan’s podcast. Everybody gets a Rogan boost but CTG is the first famous face to support Schulz.
Yeah he'd probably be another comedian putting along without charlamagane, we wouldn't know like that, he probably doesn't make it to Rogan. Like Shane Gillis and Mark Normand before that kinda crowd embraced them (though they tend to be the funnier of the bunch).

So many actual killers out there on a smaller level but they'll never get that push.

the whole rogan tree sucks at standup, honestly

but they all got in on podding early and have amassed huge audiences

I feel much of the sold out shows for their standup is actually fans just wanting to see them in person/support, really

hot take

Im actually ok with dane cook
"I did my best" is one of my fave bits of all time

Last edited:
Some of those comedians aren't actually selling out arenas. Only a certain portion of the seats get put up for sale. It just sounds better than doing a theater

MSG vs The Theater at MSG. 19k seats vs 5k seats.

the whole rogan tree sucks at standup, honestly

but they all got in on podding early and have amassed huge audiences

I feel much of the sold out shows for their standup is actually fans just wanting to see them in person/support, really

hot take

Im actually ok with dane cook
"I did my best" is one of my fave bits of all time

I used to like Segura...haven't watched his last couple of specials

And I love Bobby Lee and think he is absolutely hilarious in the podcast format, but his standup is meh

It was cool, had some very funny moments. Caught me way off guard with the Jim Carrey story :lol: would've never guessed where he was going with that.

Since l saw he was mentioned, Andrew Schultz definitely has some funny stuff. He is very clever. The first bit had me crying

Last edited:
Is Schultz really doing arenas? or did he just do one arena in his home town?

because if all it is is MGS, not really into his stuff but its def not weird or surprising at all.

Back
Top Bottom