DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Just saw it in 2D this evening. Liked it a lot - felt it was the most comic book-y DCEU flick yet. Not the best, mind you, but the best page-to-screen translation. Because of that, it felt more like a Marvel movie without being overly corny like MCU flicks can sometimes get.

6.5 / 8

Couple of points:

- One of the best decisions I ever made regarding all comic book movies was to avoid reading any news about them online and avoid watching the commercials/trailers for them - I also abandon this thread a week or so after the films release so I know I'll avoid any new info about future movies. I want to go into these things completely blind, and it's helped my enjoyment A LOT. Like, I knew about the Cavill mustache thing from reading about it ages ago, and same with the Whedon re-shoots, but I had completely forgotten all about both of them, so the effects of those two situations weren't on my mind at all when I went into the theater. As such, I didn't notice the lip thing at all, nor did I see any difference scene-by-scene, other than the fact the entire movie felt lighter and less brooding that the previous DCEUs. I can't recommend this enough - unplug from the constant stream of news and rumors, and you'll be blissfully unaware of any of the issues that a lot of people harp on.

- One of the most disappointing things I've experienced w/ the DCEU is just how much better the extended version of BvS was, and how the majority of people's qualms with the theatrical release were actually taken care of in the deleted/extended scenes. Now I'm seeing that there were a lot more scenes cut from JL, either because of Whedon re-shoots or to shove the movie into a 2hr frame. While it has me excited for the BR release, it bugs me that they could've made this another 12-15 mins. longer and possibly made it a bit better. ESPECIALLY if they cut a glimpse of Darkseid out.

- WB needs to find better editors and sound engineers. The sound mixing and scene-to-scene cuts on DCEU flicks are almost constantly trash, and severely degrades from the viewing experience. I've been saying this for years, tho. :smh:

- Didn't mind Steppenwolf at all in this. A little too CGI-y, and a little too much like Aries, and I think they should have gone with a more recognizable villain, but they used him well for what he was. Now, I will say I think the JL movie as a whole should have come a couple years farther down the line, and had Darkseid as the big bad, but oh well.

- In that regard, I'd have rather seen Batman, Flash & Aquaman solo flicks before JL. Batman because, well, you generally can't go wrong with Bats, and especially if you had set up Deathstroke there. Flash, because it would've helped establish the "lighter" tone better. And Aquaman because Momoa brings in the ladies. If you look at the cinema score, women actually rated JL higher than guys. I think Momoa and the lighter tone have to be some of the main reasons for this. If there had been a little more build-up using Flash & Aqua solo flicks, could've been even better.

- I think the movie's relatively soft open might rebound significantly over the next week. A lot of schools are out, and people will be hitting malls for shopping. I think it may have a much softer 2nd week drop than all the previous flicks beside WW. And it should hold legs until Star Wars hits in mid Dec. Interesting to see if MoviePass has an effect on it, too. I saw it tonight using MoviePass, and while I'll def see it in 3D/XD, as well, but I'll probably see it once more in 2D using MoviePass again. Wonder how many folks with MP will either see it a second time (or even just once) because it won't cost them anything.

Slotting it in to my ultimate DCEU/MCU CBM rankings list (didn't get a chance to see Ragnarok or Homecoming yet :smh:):

WW
CA:TFA
MoS
>>>JL<<<
Iron Man
BvS Directors Cut
Guardians 2
Guardians
Avengers
CA:Civil War
BvS Theatrical release (lost points because of just how much better the Director's Cut was)
Thor
Avengers AoU
Suicide Squad
Ant-Man
CA:Winter Soldier (I know I'm always roasted for having this so low, but I just wasn't a big fan of it)
Doctor Strange
Thor 2
Iron Man2
Iron Man 3

jlpost.jpg

They cut out Kilowog and Tomar-Re?!

Also, anyone who said the hologram that Batman was looking at or the character Alfred was talking to was anyone but Superman, hold this L. Or that the flying parademons in the history lesson were Thanagarians. :lol:

jlpost.jpg

They cut out Kilowog and Tomar-Re?!

Also, anyone who said the hologram that Batman was looking at or the character Alfred was talking to was anyone but Superman, hold this L. Or that the flying parademons in the history lesson were Thanagarians. :lol:

:rofl: @ Paramount screwing over DC/WB with the beard/vfx.

That guy sounded pissed :lol:

Currently seeing it.. 90 mins in and pure trash so far. SMH

Flash is annoying af. Only wonder womans *** is the highlight

Will probably end up seeing this week, but I had question since it looks like most people in here saw it already.

Does anybody think Ryan Renolds would of made a better Flash? I remember him wanting to play him but instead they made him the Green Lantern (horrible)

Definitely. Ezra isn't good for the role . His jokes fall flat. Close to all of them.

Just saw it in 2D this evening. Liked it a lot - felt it was the most comic book-y DCEU flick yet. Not the best, mind you, but the best page-to-screen translation. Because of that, it felt more like a Marvel movie without being overly corny like MCU flicks can sometimes get.

6.5 / 8

Couple of points:

- One of the best decisions I ever made regarding all comic book movies was to avoid reading any news about them online and avoid watching the commercials/trailers for them - I also abandon this thread a week or so after the films release so I know I'll avoid any new info about future movies. I want to go into these things completely blind, and it's helped my enjoyment A LOT. Like, I knew about the Cavill mustache thing from reading about it ages ago, and same with the Whedon re-shoots, but I had completely forgotten all about both of them, so the effects of those two situations weren't on my mind at all when I went into the theater. As such, I didn't notice the lip thing at all, nor did I see any difference scene-by-scene, other than the fact the entire movie felt lighter and less brooding that the previous DCEUs. I can't recommend this enough - unplug from the constant stream of news and rumors, and you'll be blissfully unaware of any of the issues that a lot of people harp on.

- One of the most disappointing things I've experienced w/ the DCEU is just how much better the extended version of BvS was, and how the majority of people's qualms with the theatrical release were actually taken care of in the deleted/extended scenes. Now I'm seeing that there were a lot more scenes cut from JL, either because of Whedon re-shoots or to shove the movie into a 2hr frame. While it has me excited for the BR release, it bugs me that they could've made this another 12-15 mins. longer and possibly made it a bit better. ESPECIALLY if they cut a glimpse of Darkseid out.

- WB needs to find better editors and sound engineers. The sound mixing and scene-to-scene cuts on DCEU flicks are almost constantly trash, and severely degrades from the viewing experience. I've been saying this for years, tho. :smh:

- Didn't mind Steppenwolf at all in this. A little too CGI-y, and a little too much like Aries, and I think they should have gone with a more recognizable villain, but they used him well for what he was. Now, I will say I think the JL movie as a whole should have come a couple years farther down the line, and had Darkseid as the big bad, but oh well.

- In that regard, I'd have rather seen Batman, Flash & Aquaman solo flicks before JL. Batman because, well, you generally can't go wrong with Bats, and especially if you had set up Deathstroke there. Flash, because it would've helped establish the "lighter" tone better. And Aquaman because Momoa brings in the ladies. If you look at the cinema score, women actually rated JL higher than guys. I think Momoa and the lighter tone have to be some of the main reasons for this. If there had been a little more build-up using Flash & Aqua solo flicks, could've been even better.

- I think the movie's relatively soft open might rebound significantly over the next week. A lot of schools are out, and people will be hitting malls for shopping. I think it may have a much softer 2nd week drop than all the previous flicks beside WW. And it should hold legs until Star Wars hits in mid Dec. Interesting to see if MoviePass has an effect on it, too. I saw it tonight using MoviePass, and while I'll def see it in 3D/XD, as well, but I'll probably see it once more in 2D using MoviePass again. Wonder how many folks with MP will either see it a second time (or even just once) because it won't cost them anything.

Slotting it in to my ultimate DCEU/MCU CBM rankings list (didn't get a chance to see Ragnarok or Homecoming yet :smh:):

WW
CA:TFA
MoS
>>>JL<<<
Iron Man
BvS Directors Cut
Guardians 2
Guardians
Avengers
CA:Civil War
BvS Theatrical release (lost points because of just how much better the Director's Cut was)
Thor
Avengers AoU
Suicide Squad
Ant-Man
CA:Winter Soldier (I know I'm always roasted for having this so low, but I just wasn't a big fan of it)
Doctor Strange
Thor 2
Iron Man2
Iron Man 3

One trash list

Yeah, Miller became pretty grating as the movie went on.

Thing is I like him as an actor same as Eisenberg but he isn't Lex Luthor awful.

However, I can not imagine an entire Flash movie being that with like one or two sad scenes thrown in there for plot/cliche movie beats.

Posting while in the movies. Sound like an awesome person.
Or is that more of a reflection of how bad the movie is for the person?

What a mess.

I know. But I I guess Whedon did the best with what he had given the circumstances. As for Snyder, I know after the death of his daughter he probably was placed in such a tough position. Finish my work or mourn for my daughter? Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the film, but I just hope we see his true, intended version.

Movie was good and entertaining but it could of been more epic and better. I was waiting that 1 long shot showing all the heroes fighting with no cuts (like in the first avengers) but it never happened.

Definitely. Ezra isn't good for the role . His jokes fall flat. Close to all of them.

Apparently Whedon added a lot of his jokes. He added the scene where Flash falls into Wonder Woman's cleavage and she does that smile after. Whedon also added the Flash "brunch" jokes.

Man...Zacks films have massively disappointed for so many years. All style over substance. I highly doubt this would’ve been an exception.

Though I do agree the film needed more story so I feel that he possibly could’ve done a better job than this. But that’s not saying much really.

Flash is annoying. Dude makes me cringe everytime he talks. Midas well put the TV series flash.

Superman is more badass than i can remember though. Whats different this time? Showcasing his power better?

Also, why some of the visuals looked like a high budget tv series. Buildings and surroundings, etc..looked so unnatural to me.

Flash is annoying. Dude makes me cringe everytime he talks. Midas well put the TV series flash.

Superman is more badass than i can remember though. Whats different this time? Showcasing his power better?

He was given better material. Confused supes overpowering everyone. The scene with Flash. Carrying the building. It's just unfortunate he was only in the movie for like 7 minutes

Also, why some of the visuals looked like a high budget tv series. Buildings and surroundings, etc..looked so unnatural to me.

This I have no clue. It had a $300 million dollar budget. That's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom