Deadspin's "What would an NBA 1-on-1 Tournament" look like

Here's the link ... great read IMO.

Rules:

• 16 entrants, bracket format

• Halfcourt

• Every player must wear the old Sinbad-approved Reebok blacktop shoe. SHOW ‘EM THAT TWO-INCH VERTICAL, BROTHER!

• All games go to 21

• Like a normal NBA game, regular baskets worth 2, three-pointers worth 3

• Winner must win by 2

• Make a basket, you get the ball back

• Call your own fouls
They evaluate all 16 guys, which is pretty interesting to read some of their evaluations. I have to say though, the most interesting thing in the article is this supposed story of KG beating the entire 2000 Olympic roster in consecutive games until he made it through the roster 1.5 times.

Here's the link ... great read IMO.

Rules:

• 16 entrants, bracket format

• Halfcourt

• Every player must wear the old Sinbad-approved Reebok blacktop shoe. SHOW ‘EM THAT TWO-INCH VERTICAL, BROTHER!

• All games go to 21

• Like a normal NBA game, regular baskets worth 2, three-pointers worth 3

• Winner must win by 2

• Make a basket, you get the ball back

• Call your own fouls
They evaluate all 16 guys, which is pretty interesting to read some of their evaluations. I have to say though, the most interesting thing in the article is this supposed story of KG beating the entire 2000 Olympic roster in consecutive games until he made it through the roster 1.5 times.

All of which is to say that a one-on-one game with Kobe would involve nothing but fadeaway jumpers and that fistpump he stole from a VHS of Michael Jordan's Playground. It'd be boring as hell, and he'd do that Abe Vigoda thing with his jaw over and over, and Mike Breen or whoever would have a tantric orgasm over his Will To Win, and the rest of us would throw the remote out the window.

laugh.gif

10. Amare Stoudemire

CRAGGS: After Dirk, he might be the best big man on the list, especially when you consider that his biggest weaknesses — passing, helpside defense, theology — are irrelevant here.

roll.gif

There would need to be height divisions, though. 

All of which is to say that a one-on-one game with Kobe would involve nothing but fadeaway jumpers and that fistpump he stole from a VHS of Michael Jordan's Playground. It'd be boring as hell, and he'd do that Abe Vigoda thing with his jaw over and over, and Mike Breen or whoever would have a tantric orgasm over his Will To Win, and the rest of us would throw the remote out the window.

laugh.gif

10. Amare Stoudemire

CRAGGS: After Dirk, he might be the best big man on the list, especially when you consider that his biggest weaknesses — passing, helpside defense, theology — are irrelevant here.

roll.gif

There would need to be height divisions, though. 

Call your own fouls. Pull out the Snickers 'cause we ain't going anywhere for awhile.

Call your own fouls. Pull out the Snickers 'cause we ain't going anywhere for awhile.

I was first impressed by that KG story but that I remembered the rest of the roster and he was easily the best player on the team.

I was first impressed by that KG story but that I remembered the rest of the roster and he was easily the best player on the team.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yup they couldn't lose to their counterparts; their egowould get too much in the way.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yup they couldn't lose to their counterparts; their egowould get too much in the way.

A lot of players wouldn't take part in it because they probably wouldn't want to risk losing like that.
nerd.gif
Some matchups would be real interesting to see though...

A lot of players wouldn't take part in it because they probably wouldn't want to risk losing like that.
nerd.gif
Some matchups would be real interesting to see though...

Lebron/Kobe/Dirk in the finals depending on what side of the brackets they are on.

Lebron/Kobe/Dirk in the finals depending on what side of the brackets they are on.

Back
Top Bottom