Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

So....You're feeling Steph a little more these days, eh Allen?

tongue.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Im Not You

The difference...JJ was running off screens for 4 years. In his senior year, he managed to add that catch off the screen, and then dribble a few times to keep defenders honest.

Did you ever see Coach K just put the ball in JJ's hands and say "here, go get a bucket"?

I didn't.

Should people have their concerns? Of course. Any undersized 2 making the transition to 1 is always a crap shoot. Especially without great athleticism. All I'm saying...I personally see more Jason Terry in him than I do Juan Dixon or JJ Reddick. But we'll see.

I say the kid averages no less than 14 in his rookie year...quote me.

and in the biggest games of his life, he played HORRIBLY. Steph actually stepped up in his biggest NCAA Tourney games.

8 for 21 for the last time.

And Not entirely, he can play....but I think that much of the Knicks coaching staff offensively.

He could still end up being an improved Boobie Gibson in the wrong situation.

The Knicks are perfect for him, and he's perfect for them.

With two weeks to go before the 2009 NBA draft, the draft rumors are starting to flow.

Here's the latest we are hearing around the league:

• Of all the teams that have been active in trade discussions the past few weeks, the appearance of the Celtics has been the most surprising and the mostinteresting.

While the Celtics have shot down a rumor that they were talking to the Suns about an Amare Stoudemire for Rajon Rondo swap … we keep hearing their name more and more inconjunction with a top-to-mid first-round draft pick -- a sign that Danny Ainge must see someone he likes up high.

While various sources have different players pegged, there seems to be some consensus that one player in particular -- Memphis' Tyreke Evans -- is an Aingefavorite.

If the Celtics are going to get Evans, they'll have to get somewhere in the top 10, most likely the top five.

The Grizzlies, Thunder and Wizards all have picks in the top five and have been open to swapping their picks. While it's doubtful that Rondo is theirbait, Ray Allen and his expiring contract could be.

The Celtics could trade Allen to Memphis for a combination of Darko Milicic, Greg Buckner andMarko Jaric. That could save the Grizzlies a little moneynow and a lot of money next year … but that seems like a stretch. The Grizzlies don't need Allen and I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled to playthere.

The Thunder aren't great partners either. They don't really have any bad contracts and while Allen would give them a nice veteran perimeterpresence, they're not giving up the No. 3 pick in the draft to get him.

The Kings have also reached out to the Celtics and would be willing to deal the No. 4 pick if they could get Rondo in return. The Celtics would likely wantmore than just the No. 4 pick for Rondo -- and the Kings might be willing to throw in either Jason Thompson or Spencer Hawes to make it happen.

That leaves the Wizards, who are really intriguing. Allen is a fit in Washington. The Wizards are a veteran team that is looking for another piece to makeit a contender. Allen also is in the last year of his contract, which means the Wizards could get some long-term cap relief if they put together the rightdeal. Would trading Allen for Etan Thomas, Mike James, Darius Songaila and the No. 5 pick make sense for the Wizardsand Celtics?

If Boston can't find a workable deal in the top five, several other teams including the Nets (11), Pistons (15), Bulls (16, 26), Wolves (18), Kings (23)and Grizzlies (27) are open to moving their picks. While those wouldn't be high enough to land Evans, it would get the Celtics a solid pick in thefirst.

The Mavs, Rockets, Knicks and Pacers also have interest in the Wizards' No. 5 pick. And a report surfaced over the week that the Wizards would be opento doing something with the Spurs if they could get their hands on Manu Ginobili. Good luck with that. Gregg Popovich isn't letting him go for the fifth pick in a weak draft.

19160.jpg

Flynn​

• The workout of the week will be in Sacramento this Friday. Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday and Brandon Jennings go head-to-headin what should be the tiebreaker for the No. 4 pick in the draft if Ricky Rubio isn't on theboard.

The other two candidates for the Kings' pick -- James Harden and Evans -- havealready been in. Harden had a respiratory infection that hurt his workout a bit. The fact that he plays the same position as the Kings' best player --Kevin Martin -- doesn't help his cause either.

Evans struggled with his shot and may have shot himself in the foot in an interview when he complained about not being able to work out against otherplayers, but then subsequently balked when the Kings offered to put Terrence Williams in a workoutagainst him. So much for my latest mock draft that has Evans at No. 4. And sources say the Kings are also leaning against Hasheem Thabeet if he's onthe board at No. 4.

That leaves the point guards.

What's interesting is that this is Holiday's second workout in Sacramento. The Kings loved him the first time and seem to be leaning in hisdirection. Holiday's size, defense and upside won them over a bit. If he holds his own versus Flynn and Jennings, he could be the guy.

19087.jpg

Curry​

Stephen Curryfinally got his workout for the Knicks on Wednesday. There was your typical media frenzy and Curry gushing about playing in New York.

Curry, as expected, shot the lights out and wowed the Knicks brass. But whether Curry actually lands in New York on draft night is still up for debate. Anumber of teams including the Wizards, Wolves and Warriors could take him before then. And if an elite player slips, like Thabeet or Harden, the Knicks may bepersuaded to go in a different direction.

But all things being equal, the chances that Curry winds up in New York, something we pegged back in January, remain high.

But here's what I think is really interesting. A number of agents have approached the Knicks with a proposition of sorts: You promise to draft my guyand I won't work him out for teams drafting above the Knicks. Why? Not only are the marketing opportunities off the charts for players in New York, butmany players really want to play for Mike D'Antoni.

• The Nets are hosting a huge, 22-team workout starting Friday. The Hawks, Celtics, Mavs, Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Pacers, Lakers, Grizzlies, Heat, Nets,Hornets, Knicks, Magic, Sixers, Suns, Blazers, Kings, Spurs, Raptors, Jazz and Wizards are all sending representatives.

This is the last chance for many teams to see most of the mid-to-late prospects in force. Take out the potential lottery prospects and the list of playersreads as a who's who of the draft. For a number of these players, this is their last chance to get feedback before the June 15 date.

Here's a look at who's participating in the six sessions:

[h4]Friday, June 12: 9:30 a.m. session[/h4] [table][tr][th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Pos.[/th] [th=""]Last[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Lester Hudson[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Tenn-Martin[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Daye[/td] [td]SF[/td] [td]Gonzaga[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Omri Casspi[/td] [td]SF[/td] [td]Israel[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Darren Collison[/td] [td]PG[/td] [td]UCLA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Derrick Brown[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Xavier[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gani Lawal[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Ga. Tech[/td] [/tr][/table]

This group has two big underclassmen, Gani Lawal and Austin Daye, who have yet to decide whether they'll stay in the draft. This might be a tough workout for Daye.

Lawal and Omri Casspiare pretty physical and that's usually a problem for Daye. Derrick Brown is also workinghard to differentiate himself from the pack.

I'm sure DarrenCollison wishes he were in the next workout with Maynor and Teague.

UPDATE: The word inside the gym on Friday morning was that Casspi and Brown looked the best in the morning session.

[h4]Friday, June 12: 11:15 a.m. session[/h4] [table][tr][th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Pos.[/th] [th=""]Last[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Eric Maynor[/td] [td]PG[/td] [td]VCU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jimmy Baron[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]URI[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chase Budinger[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Arizona[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Joe Ingles[/td] [td]SF[/td] [td]Australia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeff Teague[/td] [td]PG[/td] [td]Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Paul Harris[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Syracuse[/td] [/tr][/table]

The Jeff Teague versusEric Maynor matchup is areally good one.

Teague is also on the fence about staying in the draft, though right now it seems likely that he stays in. He was injured in the Minnesota workout,straining an MCL, but now he's been cleared to work out again.

UPDATE: The word inside the gym on Friday afternoon was that Maynor looked fantastic and that Budinger shot the lights out.

[h4]Saturday, June 13: 9:30 a.m. session[/h4] [table][tr][th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Pos.[/th] [th=""]School[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Lee Cummard[/td] [td]SG/SF[/td] [td]BYU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DaJuan Summers[/td] [td]SF[/td] [td]Georgetown[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Damion James[/td] [td]SF[/td] [td]Texas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nick Calathes[/td] [td]SG/PG[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wes Matthews[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Marquette[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Danny Green[/td] [td]SF[/td] [td]UNC[/td] [/tr][/table]

Really solid group of 3s here. DaJuan Summers has the most buzz right now. Damion James is a possiblefirst-rounder if he decides to stay in the draft.

But the big surprise is the re-emergence of Nick Calathes. He skipped the NBAdraft combine and is supposed to be playing pro ball in Greece this season. Sources say he recently asked to be back on the list. I'm trying to get to thebottom of this …

[h4]Saturday, June 13: 11:15 a.m. session[/h4] [table][tr][th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Pos.[/th] [th=""]Last[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Greivis Vasquez[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Maryland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wayne Ellington[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]UNC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Taj Gibson[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Patrick Beverley[/td] [td]PG[/td] [td]Ukraine[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jermaine Taylor[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]UCF[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ahmad Nivins[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]St. Joseph's[/td] [/tr][/table]

You can tell PatrickBeverley isn't getting a lot of love as a point guard, being thrown into the mix with mostly 2-guards.

Greivis Vasquez has atough decision to make as well. His chances of landing in the first round seem slim. Gibson is on the rise, according to some scouts.

[h4]Sunday, June 14: 9:30 a.m. session[/h4] [table][tr][th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Pos.[/th] [th=""]School[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Ryan Toolson[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Utah Valley[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Luke Harangody[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Notre Dame[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jack McClinton[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Miami[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Josh Heytvelt[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Gonzaga[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Luke Nevill[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]Utah[/td] [/tr][/table]

Ohio State center B.J. Mullens was slated to appear but pulled out of the workout on Friday. His agent gave word to the Nets that he had a promise in theTop 16 and was shutting down workouts. We'll see if the agent is telling the truth on draft night.

Luke Harangody hasgotten a lot of buzz in workouts. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do on Monday.

I don't think he's a first-rounder, but he may be OK with a place in the second round. Jack McClinton is another guy tokeep an eye on. He's generated some love of late too and has a shot of landing in the late first to early second.

[h4]Sunday, June 14: 11:15 a.m. session[/h4] [table][tr][th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Pos.[/th] [th=""]School[/th] [/tr][tr][td]DeMarre Carroll[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Missouri[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Josh Shipp[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]UCLA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeremy Pargo[/td] [td]PG[/td] [td]Gonzaga[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Taylor Griffin[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dionte Christmas[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]Temple[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Paul Delaney[/td] [td]PG/SG[/td] [td]UAB[/td] [/tr][/table]

This is probably the weakest group of the day. Carroll has some buzz, despite an inaccurate Internet report that said he may need a liver transplantsoon.

The appearance of Daye, Mullens, Chase Budinger, Teague and Maynor in the New Jersey workout is a good sign that despite various reports, they don't know wherethey're going on draft night.

They aren't the only ones. A few other players who originally refused to work out outside the top 10 are now starting to cave in and work out outsidethe original spectrum set by their agents.

They include EarlClark, who did a workout with the Pistons this week. Wake Forest's James Johnson is in the sameboat. And UCLA's Holiday has a workout scheduled with the Pacers at No. 13. In each case, the players are trying to find their "floor," the placethey know they won't slip past in the draft. No one wants to re-create Rashard Lewis' green room situation on draft night. It's a player's, and agent's, worst nightmare.

Meanwhile a couple of other players seem to be pretty confident about their range. Flynn isn't doing workouts outside the top 10. Neither is BrandonJennings, DeMar DeRozanor Jordan Hill.

• Speaking of guys all over the map, Louisville's Williams continues to be the toughest guy in the draft to peg. The Warriors are giving him a seriouslook at No. 7. The Nets also have interest at No. 11 and the list goes on from there. I doubt he slips past Dallas at No. 22 … but that's a huge range from7 to 22, the biggest I've seen this close to the draft in a while.

• Sweden's JonasJerebko antagonized a few GMs when he showed up at the Reebok Eurocamp last Sunday and refused to play, telling me he was "too tired" toplay after his team was jettisoned from the playoffs last Wednesday. However, he did play on Monday and looked really impressive according to the handful ofNBA guys still there.

However, the word now, from his agents, is that Jerebko is refusing to work out for teams looking at him in the second round. Multiple teams told me thathis agents are telling them that he won't slip out of the first round. With several teams sporting multiple first-round picks and a few others needing todraft a European and stash him overseas for a few years to save money, I think we're going to need to move Jerebko into the first round of our next mockdraft.

19089.jpg

Dasic​

• Meanwhile, one prominent international underclassman, Vladimir Dasic, is withdrawingfrom the draft. Dasic's agents informed teams this week that he's not coming over to the states for workouts and will be pulling out of the draft.

Dasic has an NBA body and game, but has been a very sporadic producer on the court. The chances he could crack the first round seemed slim. If he can get toa better team in Europe and produce, he'll have a better first-round shot next year.

• This time of year a lot of misinformation is flying around the league. Everyone is on pins and needles. I, and every other reporter, get an angry callfrom a team, agent or player's parent from time to time complaining that a story is inaccurate or unfair.

Usually the misinformation is harmless. But in the case of an inaccurate Internet report this week on the health of two draft prospects, it can have scarierimplications.

An Internet draft site this week claimed that Missouri's DeMarre Carroll may need a "liver transplant in the near or long-term future," andthat UConn's A.J. Price still had a brain aneurism that could jeopardize his career.

Yes, Carroll does have an issue with his liver. It's been known for several years and, according to Carroll's agent Mark Bartelstein, it issomething that has been treated with medication.

But a liver transplant in the near future?

Bartelstein told ESPN.com that Dr. Jeffrey Crippin, the Marilyn Bornefeld Endowed Chair in GI Research and Treatment at Washington University in St. Louis,has been treating Carroll for the past two years and has assured Bartelstein that the issue will have no effect on Carroll's NBA career.

Bartelstein said Crippin was preparing a report that would be sent to every team giving further explanation about the condition.

Bartelstein's take was consistent with the take of two NBA doctors who, sources said, had cleared Carroll to be drafted.

"The docs said it's worth taking a look at, but it shouldn't have an effect on his NBA career and hasn't caused any issues incollege," one source said.

Bartelstein wasn't the only one bristling.

Agent Jeff Schwartz also took umbrage at the same Internet report. His client, A.J. Price, was also targeted. The site said that Price "still has ananeurysm in an artery of his brain that could become a serious issue later in his career."

According to Schwartz, along with two NBA sources who have seen the report, the NBA actually gave him a clean bill of health.

"A.J. does not have still have an aneurysm," Schwartz told ESPN.com. "It's completely untrue."

Schwartz said the NBA lead doctor will send a message to all 30 teams Friday confirming that there was no aneurysm in Price's MRI.

Said one NBA executive who has seen the original medical report. "I don't know who would've read the report and thought it said that. There wasnothing."

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN.com

DaJuan better bust that group's +#+

And if an elite player slips, like Thabeet or Harden, the Knicks may be persuaded to go in a different direction.
pimp.gif

Rondo and Tyreke shooting in the back court
sick.gif
laugh.gif

• Speaking of guys all over the map, Louisville's Williams continues to be the toughest guy in the draft to peg. The Warriors are giving him a serious lookat No. 7. The Nets also have interest at No. 11 and the list goes on from there. I doubt he slips past Dallas at No. 22 … but that's a huge range from 7 to22, the biggest I've seen this close to the draft in a while.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

What I don't get is why are there so many teams interested in #5?

Granted, the Wizards probably would be better served to deal it for a veteran and/or cap relief, but who are these teams targetting at 5 realistically?

Blake goes 1. Rubio doesn't slip past 4 with Sacramento. And if he goes before 4 where the Kings pick, more then likely they'll take whoever they viewas the next best PG. Thabeet and Harden are other high prospects projected to go in the top 5. So those 4 can easily go within the first 5 picks. Who are teamslike the Rockets, Celtics, or Spurs seriously targetting, considering the type of player they'd have to give up to even jump up this high?

I think it's a lot of smoke here, with a more likely scenario of another lottery team packaging their pick with something and moving up.

Tyreke Evans working out

Kings pre-draft workout... (check Calathes around 2:17)

more pre-draft workout from the Kings (look at Levance Fields grasping air around 2:43...who shook him? That wasn't earl clark was it?)

Jrue Holliday working out

For some reason, I'm seeing deja-vu of the 2000 NBA draft all over again.

The night of the draft, and the production of the players drafted after thefact...

No sure shots expect the PF at #1. Everyone else all over the board.

Mike Miller ROY anyone?

ohwell.gif

Anyone feeling "Fizered" lately?

laugh.gif

If you're drinking Steph Kool-aid, go get your straw...

ESPN presents "The Rookie"...following Blake Griffin (part 1)...remember they did this for Mike Beasley last year...

Full court one on one .. used to hate that f'n drill.

why is calathes working out? I thought he already committed to going overseas?

I think I read somewhere that if he gets drafted he can leave the contract and play in the NBA if he wants too

Yeah Henz that's right...He's playing overseas but he can still get drafted and then come back to the US after a few years of playing in Greece.Whatever team drafts him owns his rights, so whenever he comes back (if he does) he has to play with them.

So he's probably just trying to better his draft stock even if he's going overseas right away..

[h3]Former LSU basketball player Marcus Thornton only adds to belief that he'd fit with New Orleans Hornets[/h3] [h4]Posted by John DeShazier, The Times-Picayune June 11, 2009 1:43PM[/h4]
Categories: Hornets

I'm convinced Marcus Thornton is the guy for the New Orleans Hornets.
http://
medium_09Hornets02.jpg
Ted Jackson/The Times-PicayuneFormer LSU player Marcus Thornton would be a good fit for the New Orleans Hornets.

Admittedly, there's a bias for the former LSU shooting guard. Having seen more of him than of the other draft prospects the Hornets have worked out, and having fallen hard for the way he played and competed in games en route to becoming the SEC Player of the Year last season, the personal preference previously has been stated.

But after watching the little bit of the workout that the media was allowed to see this week during his New Orleans visit with five other candidates, Thornton only confirmed the belief that if he's available when the Hornets pick at No. 21 in the first round of the NBA Draft, they should take him and consider themselves fortunate.

More than ever, New Orleans needs another guy that can create a shot, who is unafraid to take charge when he's on the court. Especially, the Hornets need such a player on the floor with the second unit, which too often is caught standing and watching one another while one guy dribbles and the shot clock dwindles. As we witness those basketball-at-its-worst moments and Coach Byron Scott smolders because he knows he's going to have to re-insert Chris Paul sooner than he wants to, the wonder is why someone - anyone - won't take over.

Thornton, for good or ill, isn't likely to stand around twiddling his thumbs while time elapses. If the ball is in his hands, he's going to make something happen and anyone who saw the Hornets for more than two games last season knows how desperately they need such a player.

Now, getting back free agent guard Jannero Pargo will help in that department, too. Particularly, Pargo will be trusted enough to give Paul a break so that the best point guard in the league won't play himself into exhaustion (and if Paul didn't look spent and broken during the playoff series against Denver, no player ever has).

And the expected addition of Pargo might prompt the Hornets to look for a big man in the draft. Perhaps New Orleans will feel it has addressed its backcourt concerns with the near-future signing of its second off-the-dribble creator and will turn its attention to frontcourt depth and if that's the case, well, it wouldn't be easy to argue against that.

Heaven knows New Orleans can use another serviceable big man backup besides Sean Marks, especially since we're not quite sure what's going to happen with Tyson Chandler. The ankle injury that turned out to be worse than expected and required surgery might hinder him into next season and beyond.

So if the right big man is there, New Orleans hardly would be criticized for grabbing him - "right" meaning less of a project than Hilton Armstrong, who, in three seasons, hasn't yet given the Hornets consistent play and probably isn't ever going to.

But there's something to be said for a team casting its lot with a playmaker, too. And Thornton looks to be a real player, whose game will transition to the NBA. And it'd be better to take him than to lock in on a big man who might take time to develop or might not be good enough to make the team.

The odds are low that a team will get a good big man that low in the first round. The longer the draft goes on, the less chance any team has of getting the kind of player it needs.

But Thornton sure looked like a keeper at his workout, a feeling that was confirmed by Scott. He certainly has looked like the kind of player the Hornets need for their second unit.
That could be bias, sure. It also could be that the guy simply is a player and for a team starving for one as much as are the Hornets, that's plenty enough reason to get him if he's available.

Guys don't hate me if I'm late, but I was shocked I didn't see this posted here

[h2]Jennings not impressed with Rubio[/h2] [h2]Brandon Jennings won't be joining the Ricky Rubio fan club anytime soon.[/h2]

The promising point guard who skipped college in order to play professionally in Europe was quick to call out Spanish international and fellow hot-shotprospect Rubio for being overhyped, SI.comreports.

[+] Enlarge
Luca Sgamellotti/EB via Getty Images Brandon Jennings averaged 7.6 points and 1.6 assists in Euroleague action this season.

"Yes. Because he played in the Olympics, he's been playing pro ball since he was like 14. So there it is right there," Jennings was quoted assaying. "I can't wait to play him, though, in summer league. I'm just letting you know that now. I can't wait."

"Yeah, I think I'm a better player than he is," Jennings told reporters after working out for the Sacramento Kings Friday. "I just shoot the ball better than he can. The only thing I've seenhim do sometimes is when he has a home-run pass or something like that. I think the dude is just all hype. I can't even front. I'm just going to bereal with you guys."

Jennings also believes there's a number of young playmakers more capable than the Spanish teenager.

"Well, put it like this: If he was in a workout with me [and fellow point guard prospects] Jonny Flynn, JrueHoliday, Tywon Lawson, Stephen Curry, he wouldn't probably be at the top," he was quoted as saying inSI.com.

When asked about their head-to-head matchup last year, the 6-2 Jennings boasted, "Well, when I played him, he had zero points, two assists and twoturnovers. So you tell me how that went."

Records of the game from the Euroleague's official Web site showed Rubio went scoreless with three assists and three turnovers in just nine minutes ofplay. Jennings posted 12 points and two assists in Lottomatica Roma's 97-93 loss to Rubio's DKV Joventut.

In his latest mock draft projections, ESPN Insider's Chad Ford has Rubio being taken third by the Oklahoma City Thunder and Jennings going to the Phoenix Suns with the 14th pick.

The NBA announced its official early-entry list for the 2009 NBA draft a month ago. On Monday, underclassmen will have to decide whether to stay or withdrawfrom the draft. ESPN.com talked to a number of GMs and NBA scouts to get a feel for what's going on as we approach the deadline.
* To preserve eligibility, player has not hired an agent.
[h3]On the fence[/h3]
Nick Calathes,G, Florida
Calathes signed a professional contract in Greece, so he's definitely not coming back to Florida. The question is, does he stay in the draft?He's currently leaning toward staying in. A few teams like the Mavs and Kings have interest in the first round, and even if he slips into the second, thatmight not be a bad thing. He'd be released from the rookie salary scale, and a team could pay him more to lure him back from Europe if he excels there.

Austin Daye,F, So., Gonzaga
Daye has the talent of a lottery pick, and has impressed teams in workouts and at the Chicago combine. However, his lack of physical strength hasteams worried (he weighed just 191 pounds in Chicago). Daye's range goes anywhere from 13 to 20 with the Pacers, Suns, Pistons, and Jazz all showinginterest.

That will probably be enough to convince him to stay in the draft and hire an agent. Right now I'd say there's a 90 percent chance he stays in thedraft.

ChinemeluElonu, F/C, Jr., Texas A&M*
Elonu has an NBA body and is a solid rebounder and shot-blocker at 6-foot-10. He's actually gotten a little bit of love as a potentialsecond-round pick in a draft without big men, but the odds are that he goes undrafted if he stays in the draft. I think the most likely scenario has himreturning to school.

Jrue Holiday,G, Fr., UCLA*
Holiday came into the season ranked as one of the top six prospects on ESPN.com's Top 100 and stayed there for much of the season. Toward theend of the season, however, he struggled and his stock started to dip.

However, he has been very impressive in workouts and looks like a virtual lock for the lottery at this point. I spoke with a number of NBA GMs, and most ofthem have him ranked somewhere between 4 and 13 on their draft boards.

Given how unhappy he's been at UCLA, I think he's a lock to stay in the draft.

Damion James,F, Jr., Texas
James has the talent to be a first-round pick, but he's struggled a bit in workouts as he's focused too much on trying to show off hisperimeter chops. I think his best bet is to go back and try to compete for an NCAA championship next year. But if he stays in the draft, he still has a shot atthe late first round.

LukeHarangody, F, Notre Dame
Harangody has been one of the big surprises in workouts. While the guy has put up ridiculous numbers in college as a scorer and a rebounder, theword on him was that he was undersized as a 4 and lacks the athleticism or quickness to play the 3.

However, Harangody had decent measurements, has slimmed down, is shooting the lights out and suddenly looks like a much more legit prospect. While I thinkhe's a second-rounder, that might be enough to convince him to leave Notre Dame.

Gani Lawal, F,So., Georgia Tech
Lawal started the season as a potential second-rounder, got off to a red-hot start and moved all the way into the late lottery and then fell offin ACC play to the point that he slipped back into the second round. NBA scouts love his size, athleticism and rebounding ability, but he's still very rawon the offensive end.

He's been solid, but not great, in workouts. I think he's very likely to land in the late first round, but if he returned to school and improved hisoffensive game the way Arizona's Jordan Hill did this season, he could land somewhere in the lottery in 2010.

Ater Majok, C,Fr., UConn
Majok sat out his entire freshman season at UConn when the NCAA ruled him ineligible. He clearly has the raw talent to be a NBA player, but thekey word is "raw." Majok really needs a couple of years of college ball under his belt before even thinking about the NBA. He was not impressive in abig group workout, and the advice from everyone is to return to school or risk going undrafted.

Jodie Meeks,SG, Jr., Kentucky
Meeks was a scoring machine at Kentucky this season. His speed and shooting ability really stood out. So did that 54-point performance againstTennessee. However, his lack of great size or explosive athleticism hurts his stock a bit.

He really hasn't done anything to separate himself from the pack in the draft, and most likely will return for his senior season at Kentucky, where hecould be playing for a team with national championship aspirations.

Patrick Mills,PG, So., St. Mary's
Mills gained some serious NBA cred in the Olympics and had a solid sophomore season before an injury knocked him out for the last month. He'shealthy again and will try to get scouts to remember those Tony Parker comparisons they were using last summer. He has the quickness and speed Parkerpossesses, but still lacks the consistent jumper and decision-making scouts are looking for. I'm not sure where he goes at this point. His range issomewhere between 22 and 40. He has said he's staying in the draft, but given how unsure he is about being a first-round pick, he may change his mind andgo back to school.

Jeff Teague,G, So., Wake Forest
Teague got off to a terrific start this season, and a number of scouts saw him as a potential top-10 pick in the draft. However, he struggled abit toward the end of the season and had a horrible game in the NCAA tournament, raising questions about his readiness to play the point in the pros. It'sbeen a tough road in the workouts for Teague. GMs all like him, but he's struggled to really get separation from the pack. He hurt his MCL in a groupworkout and lost 10 days trying to get healed from that.

His last stand will be in New Jersey this weekend in front of 23 clubs. I think his range is probably 13 to 19. That's good enough to consider the draftstrongly. But a great junior year at Wake Forest could propel him easily into the top 10. It's going to be a tough decision.

GreivisVasquez, G, Jr., Maryland
Vasquez had an excellent junior season, but scouts wonder how he would fit in the NBA. Is he a point guard or a 2-guard? Does he have theathleticism to excel in the league? What about his poor shooting numbers this season and his tendency to run his mouth? He definitely has talent, but Idon't think he's done enough to become a lock for the first round. He definitely has made a positive impression, but unless he's content with asecond-round selection, he should return to Maryland.

[h3]In the draft[/h3]
PatrickBeverley, G, Ukraine
Beverley was a pretty interesting 2-guard at Arkansas from 2006-08. But at 6-1, he didn't have much chance of playing that position in theNBA. So he left Arkansas after his sophomore season and went to the Ukraine to work on his point guard skills. The results have been impressive.

He's really helped his stock in workouts and at the Reebok Eurocamp. I think the he's moved his way onto the first-round bubble.

DeJuan Blair,PF, So., Pittsburgh
Blair is a beast in the paint. The top offensive rebounder in college hoops, he has the body of an NFL player, and his 7-3 wingspan allows him toplay bigger than his actual height. He lost weight, is in the best shape of his career, but concerns about his knees have hurt his stock a bit. He's goingto go somewhere between 11 and 22.

Derrick Brown,F, Jr., Xavier
Brown is a very interesting prospect. He has elite NBA athleticism, a huge wingspan and an NBA body already. He also possesses skills that canallow him to play both the 3 and the 4 in the pros. While he gets most of his points on dunks, he's also blossomed into a solid perimeter shooter. Hisproduction hasn't been dominant, but all the raw tools are there. Brown has been impressive in workouts, but he's not a lock for the first round. Ithink his range is somewhere between 25 and 40.

ChaseBudinger, G/F, Jr., Arizona
Budinger declared for the draft last year and didn't get any first-round interest. After a better junior season, he'll try again. Andsince this is his second time declaring for the draft, he's in for good.

Budinger is a great shooter and an excellent athlete. But can he defend in the pros? He's had good workouts, but he's a mid-to-late first-round pickright now.

Earl Clark, F,Jr., Louisville
Clark is one of the most versatile players in the country. His skill-to-size ratio is off the charts. However, he still lacks a consistentperimeter shot. He reminds some scouts of Julian Wright; others of Lamar Odom. He has top-five talent, but his inconsistency and concerns about his work ethiccould cause him to slide into the late lottery or mid-first round. I think his range is 10 to 15 right now.

BrandonCostner, PF, NC State
Costner is a bit of a tweener, and NBA scouts are skeptical about him. He put up great numbers as a freshman, had a disappointing sophomore seasonand bounced back a little as a junior. Still, most NBA scouts feel he doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA player. He's a guy who probablydoesn't get drafted.

Stephen Curry,G, Jr., Davidson
NBA executives have mixed opinions on Curry. Some worry that he lacks the size, strength and explosive athleticism to be a great NBA player, whileothers love his unlimited range, good quickness and big-time basketball IQ. He might not be a pure point guard, but give him a little time and he could begreat. Curry has been impressive in workouts and now looks like his range is pretty set between 5 and 8. If he's there when the Knicks pick, I don'tthink he slips any farther.

DeMar DeRozan,G/F, Fr., USC
DeRozan is riding a terrific March back into the lottery. He began his career at USC as a top-five pick but struggled to get much going throughmuch of the season. However, he was great for USC when it mattered most and convinced skeptical GMs that he has what it takes to be a great pro. He showed upagain at the Chicago combine, impressing teams with his poise and shooting ability. He looks like a 5 to 9 pick in the draft.

EricDevendorf, G, Jr., Syracuse
Devendorf has had an up-and-down career at Syracuse. His best season was actually his freshman season in 2006-07. If scouts think he can make thetransition to point guard in the pros, he could be an intriguing second-round pick. More likely, I expect he'll go undrafted.

WayneEllington, SG, Jr., North Carolina
Ellington had a terrific NCAA tournament, but it's still unclear exactly how much that helped his stock. Last year when Ellington entered thedraft, he turned off a lot of NBA GMs with a poor performance at the Orlando pre-draft camp. He diversified his game this season and proved he was more thanjust a jump shooter, but his lack of size at his position hurts. He is on the first-round bubble despite having a very solid combine. I think his range is 22to 40.

Tyreke Evans,G, Fr., Memphis
Evans is coming off an impressive freshman season and had his best performance of the year in the NCAA tournament. His ability to score thebasketball is terrific. However, his lack of a jump shot and questionable shot selection hold him back a bit. So did a subpar athletic performance at thecombine.

Still, Evans is a hot name right now. His range is anywhere from 2 to 9 right now.

Jonny Flynn,PG, So., Syracuse
Flynn is coming off strong performances in the Big East and NCAA tournaments. He has great quickness and strength, plays with terrific passion,and does a good job of distributing the ball. Teams still worry about his inconsistent jump shot and his lack of size, but he's one of the hottest names inthe draft right now. I'd expect him to go anywhere from 4 to 10.

Taj Gibson, F,Jr., USC
The fact that he's a 23-year-old junior pretty much necessitates him testing the draft waters. He's been very productive at USC; thequestion is whether he really has a position in the pros. He's getting some serious looks in the late first round and should be a lock for the second.

Blake Griffin,PF, So., Oklahoma
Griffin is a lock for the No. 1 pick in the draft. His combination of size, explosive athleticism and toughness makes him a beast on the offensiveend of the floor and an elite rebounder. His only weakness right now is on the defensive end, where he can be a bit indifferent. The Clippers have been veryup-front about drafting him. He's the one sure thing in the draft.

DanielHackett, PG, Jr., USC
Hackett isn't a great NBA draft prospect, but he has an Italian passport and should be able to make a terrific living playing pro ball inItaly. And who knows, maybe an NBA team will fall in love with him? He's got great size for his position and is a crafty player who knows who to get to thebasket. He played well enough at the Reebok Eurocamp to get a look. If he were more athletic, he'd be a lock for the second round, but as it stands, mostlikely he falls out of the draft.

James Harden,SG, So., Arizona State
Harden is arguably the best scoring 2-guard in the country. Rock-solid strong, he has an excellent perimeter game and all the old-school tricksthat make him tough to stop. However, a late-season swoon, including a terrible performance in the NCAA tournament, has done some damage to his draftstock.

He's been better in the combine and workouts. He measured bigger than expected and much more athletic. It's not totally clear where he goes in thedraft. The Thunder (3), Wizards (5), Wolves (6) and Knicks (
glasses.gif
will all have serious interest.

Paul Harris,G/F, Jr., Syracuse
Harris is really a power forward trapped in a combo guard's body. An explosive athlete, he is a terrific rebounder for a guard and can be abig-time finisher when he attacks the basket. He also can be a lock-down, on-the-ball defender.

His lack of a consistent jump shot is a serious concern for NBA scouts, but Harris has enough raw talent to go late in the first round. However, he is morelikely to go in the second round.

GeraldHenderson, SG, Jr., Duke
After two pretty nondescript seasons at Duke, Henderson blew up in the second half of the season, showing a great combination of athleticism andscoring prowess. NBA executives are all over the place on Henderson. He seems to have narrowed his range to 9 to 16. The Raptors like him, but most likely heends up in Charlotte at No. 12.

Jordan Hill, PF, Jr., Arizona
Hill was one of the most improved players in the country this summer and worked himself from a late-first-round pick into the lottery. He'salways been a terrific rebounder with a great motor, but he began to improve his offense this year. Hill is still raw and needs to add strength, but he seemslike a lock for the top 10. He could go anywhere from 5 to 10 on draft night.

BrandonJennings, PG, Italy
Jennings has had a tough year. After failing to qualify academically at Arizona, he jumped to Italy, where he struggled to get consistent playingtime or production. But given the uniqueness of his situation, scouts are cutting him a lot of slack: He's still a super-athletic point guard with greatsize for his position. If he can prove to scouts in workouts that he can shoot the basketball, he'll be a top-10 pick. If he doesn't he could slip intothe late lottery. I think his range is anywhere from 4 to 14.

James Johnson,F, So., Wake Forest
Johnson's a great athlete, has an NBA body and is very skilled. He can play multiple positions on the floor and does a bit of everything onthe offensive end. But he has some flaws. His basketball IQ is still fairly raw, and he can get out of control at times. Scouts thought he was out of shape atthe pre-draft camp, and he hasn't blown away anyone in workouts. His range is 11 to 21, but right now the momentum doesn't seem to be going hisdirection.

Ty Lawson, PG,Jr., North Carolina
Lawson had a fantastic season and quieted many of his doubters. He sported a terrific assist-to-turnover ratio, shot the lights out and was thebiggest reason the Tar Heels won the title.

However, he's struggled to get much buzz in the draft. NBA scouts worry about his lack of size and wonder how he'll fare running a more traditionalNBA half-court offense, and there are concerns about a toe injury. I think his range is 13 to 24, but most likely he's somewhere between 17 and 22.

Nate Miles,G/F, Fr., Southern Idaho
On raw talent, Miles has what it takes to be drafted. However, his difficult background combined with the fact that he hasn't playedhigh-level basketball for a year hurt his chances. If he really shows something in workouts, someone might take a chance on him and let him develop in theD-League. But most likely he's an undrafted pick.

B.J. Mullens, C, Fr., Ohio State
Mullens was projected as a top-five pick at the start of the season but spent the year coming off the bench, limiting his production. While no onein the league feels Mullens is ready for the NBA, he is leaving school because of financial hardship.

He's still a potential lottery pick -- he's got a lethal combination of size and athleticism -- but has a long way to go before he'll be aproductive NBA player. And that could cause him to fall into the mid-to-late first round. I see him going anywhere from 8 to 18.

DaJuanSummers, F, Georgetown
Summers got off to a sizzling start this season and there was talk that he might be a mid-first-round pick. He has great size for his position,NBA athleticism and a terrific body and he can shoot from deep range. He is, in many ways, the prototypical NBA forward.

However, his production really dropped off after Georgetown went into the tank. His shooting percentage went down, his turnovers went up and the team seemedto crumble around him. Based on physical talent and abilities, Summers has been helping his stock in workouts and looks like his range now is somewhere between15 and 25.

Shawn Taggart,F, Memphis
Taggart is a long, athletic forward who hasn't done much to differentiate himself in three years at Memphis. He's a solid rebounder andshot-blocker, but he's already 24 years old. If he doesn't get it by now, when will he? Most of the NBA scouts I've spoken with think he'll goundrafted.

HasheemThabeet, C, Jr., UConn
Thabeet is the best shot-blocker in college basketball and a dominant defensive presence. He's still a work in progress on the offensive end,but most NBA execs see him as being a potential Dikembe Mutombo-type player. A few, however, wonder if his lack of feel for the game will limit his upside. Hisrange is anywhere from 2 to 8.

Dar Tucker,G/F, So., DePaul
Tucker is a super-athletic wing who drew a lot of praise after his freshman season. While his scoring numbers went up as a sophomore, his turnoverrate also went up and his shooting percentages plummeted. If Tucker could ever develop a legit jump shot, he'd be a potential first-round pick. But as itstands right now, he'll be fighting to get drafted in the second round.

[h3]Withdrawing (or likely to withdraw) from the draft[/h3]
Darion Anderson, Northern Illinois
Ryan Anderson, Nebraska
Dominique Archie, G, Jr., South Carolina
Dwayne Collins, PF, Jr.,Miami
Kareem Cooper, Texas-El Paso
Kenneth Cooper, Louisiana Tech
Bryan Davis, PF, Jr., Texas A&M
Devan Downey, G, Jr., South Carolina
Osiris Eldridge, SG, Jr., Illinois State
Gary Flowers, Chipola JC (Fla.)
Jonathan Gibson, New Mexico State
Kyle Gibson, Louisiana Tech
D'mond Grismore, Huston-Tillotson (TX)
Roger Guignard, Texas-Arlington
Mac Koshwal, C, So.,DePaul
Tasmin Mitchell, F, Jr.,LSU
Ronald Ogoke, Paul Quinn College
Scottie Reynolds,Villanova
D.J. Rivera, Binghamton
Terrence Roderick, Alabama Birmingham
Magnum Rolle, Louisiana Tech
Junior Salters, Wofford
Donald Sloan, G, Texas A&M
Tyler Smith, G/F,Tennessee
Jonathan Tavernari, SF,Jr. BYU
Jarvis Varnado, PF, Jr.,Mississippi State
Nic Wise, G, Arizona
Michael Washington, PF,Arkansas
Jeremy Wise, PG, Southern Mississippi

[h3]International players in the draft[/h3]
International players younger than 22 who have declared for the draft:

RodrigueBeaubois, France
Beaubois raised his stock with a solid performance at the 2007 Euroleague camp but still needs more experience in Europe. He has the raw athletictools to get things done, but still lacks great basketball IQ. He's a potential second-round pick this year.

NemanjaBjelica, Serbia
Bjelica is another potential sleeper who had a breakout season in the Adriatic league. He's very skilled and a good facilitator. NBA teamswould have to wait a while until he's ready, but he could be an interesting second-round pick. Look for him to withdraw from the draft.

Georgios Bogris, Greece
Likely to withdraw

Omri Casspi,F, Israel
Casspi could become the first Israeli to be drafted in the first round. He's kind of like Andres Nocioni: a forward with great toughness, aterrific motor and an emerging outside game. A number of teams drafting late in the first round, including the Spurs and Hawks, have shown a lot of interest inhim. Most likely he stays in the draft and goes somewhere between 23 and 40.

Victor Claver,F, Spain
Claver is one of the most talented international players in the draft. He missed most of the season due to a leg fracture and is still recovering,but that might help him. A growing number of international players want to be drafted in the second round. Because of their high salaries in Europe, combinedwith buyouts, they need more money to leave Europe than the NBA rookie pay scale allows in the first round. By going in the second round, Claver can go to theNBA when he's ready and when a team is ready to pay him. He's likely to stay in.

VladimirDasic, PF, Serbia
Dasic was a potential late-first-round pick, but he pulled out of workouts and withdrew from the draft after the Reebok Eurocamp.

ChristianEyenga, Spain
Super-athletic wing who uses his athleticism and strength to make a difference on the court. His basketball IQ is raw, but teams might draft himin the second round based on his ability to defend multiple positions. He's likely to withdraw.

VitorFaverani, Spain
You're never sure exactly what you'll get with Faverani. One game he looks like an NBA player, the next he looks like a mess. He has thephysical tools NBA scouts are looking for, which is good. But does he have the drive to get better? He's likely to withdraw from the draft.

Sergey Gladyr, Ukraine
Gladyr has been flying way under the radar in the Ukrainian league, but a couple of international scouts who have seen him play say he has NBApotential down the road. His strong play in the Reebok Eurocamp has helped push his stock higher. He could sneak into the late first round, but more likely asecond-round pick if he stays.

Adam Hanga, Hungary
Likely to withdraw

Baris Hersek, Turkey
Likely to withdraw

Rudy Jomby, France
Likely to withdraw

Tanel Kurbas, Estonia
Likely to withdraw

Milan Macvan,F, Serbia
Macvan was the international star of the Nike Hoop Summit. He's a bulldog of a player who uses brute strength combined with surprisingperimeter skill to dominate opponents. Some scouts call him the Serbian Kevin Love. While Macvan lacks the athleticism that most NBA big men have, few candoubt his production on the court. He's a potential second-round pick if he stays in.

BobanMarjanovic, Serbia
He's very raw, but NBA teams will always come looking for size: 7-3, 272 pounds will always be intriguing. But most likely, he withdraws fromthe draft.

Tim Ohlbrecht,Germany
Ohlbrecht was once considered a potential first-round pick and a Dirk Nowitzki clone. However, he just hasn't produced on the court eventhough the raw physical tools and skills are there. He's a potential second-round pick, but it's more likely that he pulls out of the draft and triesagain next year.

Carl Ona Embo,Italy
Ona Embo is a talented point guard who was recruited by a number of European pro teams as well as some American colleges, including Gonzaga. Lookfor him to get some interest, but most likely he'll withdraw from the draft and be a possible second round pick in 2010.

Nikolaos Pappas, Spain
Pappas comes from an excellent line of great Greek point guards. The problem is that none of them have really succeeded in the NBA. He has all thebasketball skills to make it happen, but his physical limitations mean that most likely his only chance of being a star is to stay in Europe. A possiblesecond-round pick, but most likely he withdraws from the draft.

Anton Ponomarev, Kazakhstan
Likely to withdraw

PaulaoPrestes, C, Brazil
Prestes has the size and strength to be a legit NBA prospect, but his lack of athleticism or basketball skill will give everyone pause. Still, he's beenfairly productive in Spain, and a team might want to take a flier on him in the second round hoping his skill level improves with more playing time. Mostlikely he withdraws from the draft.

MiroslavRaduljica, Serbia
Raduljica has been on the NBA radar screen for years. He started to develop this season but still has a way to go before he's ready for the NBA. However,given his size and strength, an NBA team could take a gamble on him in the second round and hope he develops down the road. More likely he withdraws.

FernandoRaposo, France
Raposo is considered an up-and-coming prospect, but he hasn't done enough on the international scene to be more than a curiosity this year. Look for him towithdraw before the deadline. But in another year or two, he has the tools to be a legit prospect.

Ricky Rubio,PG, Spain
Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, continues to work on Rubio's buyout. Rubio wasn't thrilled with the way the lottery played out. Neither Memphis norOklahoma City are great fits for him. Sacramento at No. 4 is the most promising. Or he's hoping another team swoops in and makes a deal with either theGrizzlies or the Thunder. There's a very small chance Rubio withdraws, but most likely, he'll let things play out in this draft and then decide whetheror not to come over.

Evangelos Sakellariou, Greece
Likely to withdraw

Alexandros Sigkounas, Greece
Likely to withdraw

Ludovic Vaty,France
Vaty has been on the radar screen for a few years. However, with every passing year his stock has fallen a bit. He has some solid physical tools to work with,but his feel for the game is underdeveloped. A likely second-round-to-undrafted pick in 2009.

Ibrahim Yildirim, Turkey
Likely to withdraw

Artem Zabelin,Russia
Zabelin made a positive impression in his round of workouts with NBA teams. However, injuries have kept him off the court this year. He wasn't great at theEurocamp and is likely to withdraw.

AboubakarZaki, C, France
Zaki has the raw skills to be an interesting NBA player, but right now he looks years away. If someone takes him in the second round, they might be waitingyears to receive a return on their investment. Most likely he withdraws from the draft.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPNInsider

Clark is the business....dude went to high school in the town right next to mine....Im pullin for duke, hope he gets drafted into a good situation

Back
Top Bottom