Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

Originally Posted by purplenurple1414

It's not that a pure PG can't score, it's that they shouldn't be looking to score first.

"i think people over value being a "true and pure" pg in the modern game"

Teams will leave you open if you cant shoot, plan and simple....... tell me how many "plays" you can make when your man is sagging 5 feet off you?

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Originally Posted by purplenurple1414

It's not that a pure PG can't score, it's that they shouldn't be looking to score first.

"i think people over value being a "true and pure" pg in the modern game"

Teams will leave you open if you cant shoot, plan and simple....... tell me how many "plays" you can make when your man is sagging 5 feet off you?
a pure point guard has nothing to do passing or scoring ... it's all about how you see the floor, the spacing or players, paths for scoringopportunities, while reading the flow of the game ...... it's more of a processing of information sort of like chess vs checkers .... it's why a guylike J-Kidd that could barely shoot .... use to be able to drive and score whenever he wanted .... while intelligent scoring point guards like Billups caneventually develop into a "pseudo true" point guard just based on understanding of the flow of the game and scoring opportunities
Also for the guy a couple of pgs back David Robinson was never the vocal leader on those early Spurs championship team/s (can't remember how many he wasinvolved with) it was Avery Johnson, Mario Ellie and Sean Elliot

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

But when it comes down to it you must a legitimate big man to win NBA championships. That is fact. One great big man and one great perimeter player, whether it's a point guard or off-guard... That's the starting point...
Jordan and Billups disagree.
Jordan had bigmen that had strong inside defense, ate rebounds and blocked shots when possible ...... a great big man doesn't = scoringbigman, it could simply mean someone that plays the role of PF/C to perfection and in jordan's case that was big men that defended the paint

i hate that "not a true point guard" talk....
so to be a point guard you cant be a scorer??

The "purest" point guards have to be able to score as well as pass...
Stockton 13. 1 and 10.5 for his career
Magic 19.5 and 11.2 for his career

People have got to respect you so you can set up your teammates, and i think Teague will become a welling/better passer

Lawson can get to the bucket but he has no range and no pull up game... let me rephrase this...i think people over value being a "true and pure" pg in the modern game

HAHAHA. He has no range? Go look at this 3pt % for last season.

And as another poster said, it has to do with being a score FIRST pg, vs trying to setup teammates.

Teague has a ways to go, but he has all the talent to be a very good player

the teams that tried that this year with Lawson got murdered because he just sat at the top of the key and knocked down threes until they got upon him

^^^NCAA 20 feet 9 inches.... NBA 23 feet 9 inches

i stick with my thesis.... pure point guards are extinct in the modern NBA

Originally Posted by manamazing55

^^thanks

I know people have said the Bucks like Teague, but you could possibly be YEARS away from him being an actual POINT guard. You could take Lawson now, and have a legitimate PG from day 1
I'm sorry but there's no way in hell Lawson is a starter in any NBA team.

laugh.gif
Let's not get back into another picking apart/defending to the grave of UNC players... We all know where it'll go, and it ain't worth it...

^^^NCAA 20 feet 9 inches.... NBA 23 feet 9 inches

i stick with my thesis.... pure point guards are extinct in the modern NBA

steve nash
chris paul
jason kidd
deron williams
andre miller
rajon rondo

and that was just the first batch of names that immediately surfaced to thought.

man i'm tired of the shots being thrown at Tyler and Lawson.....yall gonna make me get my e thuggin on
laugh.gif
j/p.....they're both going to be goodplayers....but my sleeper is James Johnson.....dude should be a top 5 pick...i hate Wake but ima fan of his game...just hopes he keeps working hard oncehe's in the league

laugh.gif
@ James Johnson being a top 5 pick.

Maybe if he was a 20, got Wake further in the tourney and showed up to the combine in shape.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

man i'm tired of the shots being thrown at Tyler and Lawson.....yall gonna make me get my e thuggin on
laugh.gif
j/p.....they're both going to be good players....but my sleeper is James Johnson.....dude should be a top 5 pick...i hate Wake but ima fan of his game...just hopes he keeps working hard once he's in the league

dont sweat it man, apparently all Carolina players suck, yet they ran through the country, murdering teams and winning a championship with a bunch of scrubs.

James Johnson has top 5 talent. He just needs to decide between his ears that he wants to be a great player. He has all the tools to be a very very good proplayer

Chad Ford: Ricky Rubio is in Sacramento today, trying to make his case why he's the guy the Kings should take with the fourth pick in the draft. Rubio willreportedly engage in a light workout with the team.

This is part of a three-team tour that will include the Oklahoma City Thunder and likely the New York Knicks on Rubio's way to New York for the lottery.It's long been thought that the Kings were Rubio's backstop in the draft if the Memphis Grizzlies and Thunder passed on him. Now Rubio seems to be in adogfight with two other contenders to be picked at No. 4, Jrue Holiday and Jonny Flynn.

A couple of league sources told me on Thursday that they believe Rubio will emerge as the pick if he's still available, otherwise it's a real toss upbetween Holiday and Flynn.

Rubio, however, may not be there at No. 4. While it seems clearer that neither the Grizzlies nor the Thunder will select Rubio for themselves, the MinnesotaTimberwolves are making a strong play to move up in the draft to get Rubio, according to sources. The Wolves have tried to do it by packaging their threefirst-round picks (Nos. 6, 18 and 28).

There's also been talk about Minnesota trading Kevin Love to Memphis for the No. 2 pick, a rumor that one source insisted was far-fetched. If that happens,it will have to be a deal that's consummated no earlier than June 28, because the Wolves have to wait a full calendar year to trade Love back to theGrizzlies (Love was traded to Minnesota for O.J. Mayo on the night of the draft last year).

If they don't get the No. 2 pick, sources say the Wolves will their No. 6 pick to select either Stephen Curry and Tyreke Evans. Evans seems like the bestfit at first glance, but there seems to be a higher comfort level with Curry. We've had both players going to Minnesota in recent mock drafts. Hopefully bythe last one we get it right.

• Arizona State's James Harden also seems to be in a pretty strong position. In addition to getting a lot of attention from the Thunder and Wizards, twoleague sources told ESPN.com that Harden is in the mix with the Grizzlies. Apparently, owner Michael Heisley thinks that a three-man rotation of Harden, O.J.Mayo and Mike Conley is attractive for the Grizzlies.

Chad Ford: It sounds like the Knicks are coming to grips with the fact that Stephen Curry is unlikely to be there when they pick at No. 8. The Thunder (No. 3),Wizards (No. 5) and Warriors (No. 7) all have interest. But Donnie Walsh's biggest challenge comes from his former protégé, David Kahn in Minnesota, whoseems to have focused in on Curry and Tyreke Evans if he can't get Ricky Rubio.

Minnesota Timberwolves are making a strong play to move up in the draft to get Rubio, according to sources. The Wolves have tried to do it by packaging their three first-round picks (Nos. 6, 18 and 28).
pimp.gif

If they don't get the No. 2 pick, sources say the Wolves will their No. 6 pick to select either Stephen Curry and Tyreke Evans
Not so
pimp.gif

Harden, Mayo, and Conley.

...where's Gay fit in all this?

eek.gif
@ the T-Wolves trading all their 1st rounders to try and move up like 4 spots.

Problem is though, I don't think any teams want to dole out 3 guaranteed contracts. Themselves included.

Harden at the 3? Y'all really believe he can play the three? If you guys have to play some big 3's and 2's y'all would get beat down.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Harden, Mayo, and Conley.

...where's Gay fit in all this?

eek.gif
@ the T-Wolves trading all their 1st rounders to try and move up like 4 spots.

Problem is though, I don't think any teams want to dole out 3 guaranteed contracts. Themselves included.
Yeah, but I'm almost certain no team would use all 3 draft picks. A team could use some of the picks for leverage in a trade that wouldbenefit them. Kind of the way Minnesota will (should) use them.

Back
Top Bottom