*| | Denim _ School | |*

Yeah dude go back and get your jeans ASAP! The tailor shouldn't be doing anything you didn't ask them to do.
The worst part is that I didn't have a chance to ask him to do anything.

How much of a difference does have the selvadge seam matter?
Go get it back ASAP. Call him and tell him not to work on it.

We can discuss the other stuff later after you get it back.

Last edited:
what I've done many times is take a pair of jeans that fit me right and the pair I want altered with me when I go to my tailor. Show them the jeans I want tailored and tell them I want them to fit like the jeans I brought with me that fit me right. They usually just stack them on top of each other and take their measurements and such.

what I've done many times is take a pair of jeans that fit me right and the pair I want altered with me when I go to my tailor. Show them the jeans I want tailored and tell them I want them to fit like the jeans I brought with me that fit me right. They usually just stack them on top of each other and take their measurements and such.

I thought about this. I think thats what I'm gonna do. Definitely to get the length right at least.

i just took measurements of my best fitting pair of jeans and used it as a template. same idea without having to take a pair with me

since my iron hearts blew out I bought some rogue territory SK... love the fit. a lot of room in the thigh but slim from the knee down. i'l post fit pics later

since my iron hearts blew out I bought some rogue territory SK... love the fit. a lot of room in the thigh but slim from the knee down. i'l post fit pics later

This is the exact type of fit I've been looking for. Might have to check these out. Any other suggestions?

^ Love my pair of RGT Dark Stantons. They're a bit snug on me now, but the color/weight is awesome.

Here's how they wear in -- really nice electric blue:
nthat.gif
 dope

^ I generally don't like 3sixteen's denim fits -- the ST line is just too damn skinny. Regardless, the 120 (shadow) line fades very nicely.

I really like indigo warp + black weft jeans. They're the most "complete" in terms of fading through various raw denim colors -- starting off almost dark navy/black, then electric blue, then regular indigo blue, and the finally nearly white with some light blue.

Last edited:
^ I generally don't like 3sixteen's denim fits -- the ST line is just too damn skinny. Regardless, the 120 (shadow) line fades very nicely.

I really like indigo warp + black weft jeans. They're the most "complete" in terms of fading through various raw denim colors -- starting off almost dark navy/black, then electric blue, then regular indigo blue, and the finally nearly white with some light blue.

^ Appreciate the feedback. I have a pair of SL-100 jeans from them and wanted to move into something slimmer, so I started looking into the ST-120x. Also figured there would be more of a story with its fade over time. Thanks again.

I want to start looking a new tailor to take my jeans to today. Should I let them know that they're selvage denim or doesn't it matter? I'm gonna go the route of just taking a pair of jeans that fit and tell them to at least make the length the same.

I want to start looking a new tailor to take my jeans to today. Should I let them know that they're selvage denim or doesn't it matter? I'm gonna go the route of just taking a pair of jeans that fit and tell them to at least make the length the same.

definitely matters unless you don't mind losing the selvedge edge. make sure they explain in detail what they'll be doing. never assume

Be very very particular with exactly what you want especially with a new tailor. Dont want to take some jeans you love and they end up ruining it.

Didn't know there was a Denim thread on NT. Did anyone else participate in the SoSo Kickstarter sale a little bit ago? I ordered 3 more pair. Looking to rotate these in with my Naked and Famous dirty fades

Looking for some feed back from the experts! I usually buy Gap's Japanese selvedge jeans since I tend to find them on sale. Now, I am looking to explore other brands and I saw that N&F had some good sales. Is there any pointers I should know about N&F? I'm a size 31 waist but I am not sure what size I should get in N&F. How much should I size down? 1 or 2 sizes? Also, any recommendations on a good pair of N&F (Range $100-150)? Thank you for all the help and sorry if this was vague.

Looking for some feed back from the experts! I usually buy Gap's Japanese selvedge jeans since I tend to find them on sale. Now, I am looking to explore other brands and I saw that N&F had some good sales. Is there any pointers I should know about N&F? I'm a size 31 waist but I am not sure what size I should get in N&F. How much should I size down? 1 or 2 sizes? Also, any recommendations on a good pair of N&F (Range $100-150)? Thank you for all the help and sorry if this was vague.
Measure your best fitting denim using Gustin's fit guide: https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide. You're a tag size 31, but if you actually measure your denim, it'll probably be 33" true waist (vanity sized + stretch).

Compare that to N&F's measurements. I'd personally skip N&F and just go straight to Gustin/Rogue Territory. Gustin denim is more true-to-size and RGT is very vanity size + stretches a lot.

Last edited:

First you need to narrow down your fit.

Big quads, go Weird Guy.

Skinny and Super Skinny are very low rise, but not overly skinny.

Stacked Guy is a regular rise with a nice skinny fit.

Go to Tate and Yoko website. They have an amazing fit guide, measure your favourite pair of jeans and compare to their fits.

I would go basic, broken twill selvedge is a good option for a first pair.

I thought about this. I think thats what I'm gonna do. Definitely to get the length right at least.

This strategy is pretty spot on for width / leg opening measurement - not so much length.

More measurements play into the length and how the pants fall - like rise, drop and seat. So unless the example pants and the pants to be tailored are the same exact pant I would recommend trying them on for length.

Crisis averted.

Now that you got your jeans back - the length with a cuff.

I'd cuff the pants the way you like when you get to the tailor. They should be able to fold / tuck the pant around your calf or knee and pin it to get an accurate adjustment. If you mention you like to cuff, the tailor might just say they'll make it a little longer so you can cuff. That will be less accurate than pinning it while cuffed. Also if you're super particular about length you should consider how the fabric may shrink when washed (unless you won't wash).

In terms of what I'd recommend for length - this always depends on how particular you are, and the look you're going for, the shoes you generally wear etc. I always think it looks better on the shorter side. Once you tailor too short, you can never go back though, so if you're not sure its safer to go a little longer.

Hope that helps. I'd be happy to help you get it spot on. Shoot me more details if you want

Good looking out to everybody in the thread who gave advice on tailoring. Just got a pair hemmed and tapered and they fit perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom