Did I just vote GUILTY on an innocent black man? Volume: Justice System sucks

Forthe past 4 days I served in a jury for a trial involving a 40+ year old black man whosebeen using Cocaine/Crack for over 20 years. 

Chargesagainst him:

1.     Possessionof cocaine base with intent to sell

1.    Possessionof Controlled Substances - Narcotic with intent to sell

Evidence:

1.      Cash– “Left Pocket/Right Pocket

You cant ever believe a crackhead
laugh.gif

sounds like he was selling..just off of having a notebook with names in it

He's on parole so they'll go extra strict with him.

The fact that he got arrested looks bad since he's on parole . If it was a drug related charge , he's going right back to jail regardless

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

PS:Spoke to the DA and Public Defender after and they both told me if you ever get read your Miranda rights... SHUT the HELL UP.  They used a lot of what he told the officers which was recorded against him

Isn't that common sense? EVERYTHING you say (and sometimes what you don't say) WILL be used against you.

For those of you who don't know how to handle police, this video series (Flex Your Rights) is a good start.

The full video can be seen here. Watch and learn.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

What was the racial background of his "jury of his peers"??

If I remember right...

1 elderly white male
6 Asians
3 white females
2 Latinos

Just based on the evidence it looks like he did intend to sell.General Johnson you beat me to it.%!%@ "can".........IT WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU! That's what they're telling you,but people take that +$$* with a grain of salt and get caught up.

dude is on parole and he had crack/cocaine on him? what a dummy. from the looks of things, he sounds guilty to me...

Based solely on the fact he was already on parole, he did it to himself by having that *%%$ on him in the first place. Justified IMO.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

...how was he innocent?

Because the Defense stated all those drugs were for his own personal use and not to sell.  Possession is way less of a charge than intent to sell.  That's what they went to trial for.  He is no doubt guilty of possession on both counts but the DA wanted to get him for "intent" to sell. 

We found him guilty for possession of the powder cocaine and not on the intent to sell.   We all knew of his drug past.  His parole officer testified for him stating every time they tested him, he always tested positive for cocaine.  We took that into consideration and since he is a user we thought that some of those drugs he had was for his own personal use.  Because drug dealers weigh their bags precise, the amount of 1.2 grams of the powder we thought was for his personal use because bag was probably more and he was using it throughout the day.  He told us that he was still able to function while high on cocaine and powder cocaine is easily ingested meaning all you need is a long finger nail, or a straw, dollar bill, etc.

He was found guilty for possession of the powder cocaine not the intent to sale.

Simple Possession = State prison and fine up to $70; if probation granted
Sale = State prison 2-4 yrs.for powder cocaine/State prison 3-5 yrs. for the crack.

What was the racial background of his "jury of his peers"??

If I remember right...

1 elderly white male
6 Asians
3 white females
2 Latinos

That sounds fair...
eyes.gif

I know.  There were 2 black males originally in the jury but the DA kicked them off.  Asian DA so she probably thought getting more Asian Jurors would help her. 

However and regardless it's still pretty common sense... no job, had cash on him, notebook of names, individual bags, etc.  Like I said at least he got of the cocaine intent to sell charge. That would have been 2+ more years.

I do hope Obama signs of on this bill...

Fairness in Cocaine Sentencing Act, which drops the sentencing disparity between crack and cocaine.

This guy needs REHAB not jail time.  Putting him in jail isn't going to do anything. Once he gets out, he'll prob end up back in the streets, hooking up with the same folks and it's just an endless cycle.

so at the very least he's guilty of possession... I still don't see how you can characterize him as innocent.

and really, your peers do not have to be your own ethnicity.

Originally Posted by General Johnson

PS:Spoke to the DA and Public Defender after and they both told me if you ever get read your Miranda rights... SHUT the HELL UP.� They used a lot of what he told the officers which was recorded against him

Isn't that common sense? EVERYTHING you say (and sometimes what you don't say) WILL be used against you.

For those of you who don't know how to handle police, this video series (Flex Your Rights) is a good start.

The full video can be seen here. Watch and learn.

just this in my poli sci class. i thought it was common knowledge to shut your mouth. guess not  
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom